Mt Pleasant, South Carolina
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 39m 46s
Overall Rank = 40/390
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/20
Pre-race routine:

Bagel and Peanut Butter - I think this is becoming a standard for me.
Event warmup:

They gave us 15 minutes to swim out to the start, the rest of the warm-up was spent swimming against the current to stay behind the starting line.
Swim
  • 39m 46s
  • 4200 yards
  • 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is the first time I have ever done anything like this, and yes, I will be doing it again. The start of the whole thing was a little crazy, 390 people all squished together swimming over each other. Once that was done plenty of space. The buoys were huge and easy to spot, so that was not a problem. Still find it a bit strange to not be able to see more than a foot down in the water. The race itself went well. The first half was a piece of cake, the second half a different story. As soon as we swam under the bridge the waves came. All of a sudden I started swallowing water with each breath, luckily this part was towards the end. Mad sprint at the end with about 5 other people, this is where I realized I had way to much energy left over, I dusted them, and later found out 2 were in my age group, so very nice. Most of the people that finished ahead of me were kids on swim teams so no one really stood a chance against those guys, I miss those days. Oh, and there was one heck of a current behind us, hence the super fast times.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster, do this race when I was 18.
Post race
Warm down:

Beer, and lots of it. It took about 2 hrs for them to do the awards, but it was such a nice day and my family was there so we sat at a picnic table drinking beer and eating fried chicken, perfect cool down. Except my girlfriend kept telling me, you better get an award after all this or I'll be pissed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still out of shape, and inexperience

Event comments:

My only peeve was not getting the race results until 5 days after the event, but I imagine trying to do this by simply watching people swim by is kind of tough. Other than that, I'll be doing this every year. Also, I should have a much better 10k time next year so I'll be competative in the Over Under Challenge (add times together)

Last updated: 2008-02-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:46 | 4200 yards | 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 40/390
Performance: Good
Suit: Drag
Course: Started at Hobcaw Yacht Club, continue under the Cooper River Bridge, passed the Yorktown, finish at Charleston Marina
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?