General Discussion Race Reports! » RJ Aaron Memorial (Mighty Montauk) Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

RJ Aaron Memorial (Mighty Montauk) Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Montauk, New York
United States
Event Power
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 14s
Overall Rank = 237/504
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 40/70
Pre-race routine:

1.5 hour drive to Mantauk. Ate two mini bagels with PB and some granola on the way with a cup of coffee. I met up with Bobby at the transition area about a half hour before the race. It was good to have someone else there, talking with him helped ease my mind a bit.

Going into the race, I wasn't sure if I had trained enough or if I was really prepared. Needless to say, I think I was pretty well prepared considering the fact that I improved since last year and I was really able to leave it all out there.
Event warmup:

I had to run back to the transition area 10 minutes before my wave started because I decided at the last minute not to wear the sleeves.
Swim
  • 29m 35s
  • 1750 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a pretty good swim for me, but it was also pretty inconsistent. I was pretty fast at some points but very slow at others. At a few points I felt great and smooth and at others I felt very fatigued. My navigation was ok, I think I am getting better at it. Usually I breath every third stroke, but I abandoned that at the midpoint and took air in every time I stroked with my right arm. In some ways, I think that was actually better for me and maybe I should start working on doing it all the time. It helped get my breathing under control.
What would you do differently?:

I think I should consider getting a full suit... if not for my HIM in October, then maybe for next year.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

Pretty good T! which included a long run from the beach. I walked through the transition area this year and found landmarks to follow.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 51s
  • 22 miles
  • 21.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Great ride... probably the best I have had in any triathlon I have done. I was able to get up to some very high speeds during the descents and I did a nice job cornering. I think all the lifting I did this year (as opposed to other years) paid off big time as I was able to get up the hills so uch faster this year.
What would you do differently?:

Not lose my aerodrink bottle less than a mile into the race. When I get a replacement, I'll make sure it's secured well to the bracket.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Pretty quick T2
Run
  • 59m 15s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Descent run, considering the challenging course. I was pretty spent towards the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and met Bobby again who was nice enough to wait around for me after his stellar performance. I met his wife and kids and we chatted a bit. Packed up my stuff and started the drive home.

Event comments:

Great race for me. I improved over last year and last year's race was actually shorter because of the shorter swim.

This is the first time that I can honestly say that in an olympic distance race that I really, truly, gave everything I had. I worked hard on the swim, pushed beyond what I thought I was capable of on the bike and left it all out there on the run. I am very pleased with both my effort and performance.

Another race and another measurable improvement. I know that at some point the improvements will stop, but for now, I know I can still get better and faster.

Last updated: 2008-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:35 | 1750 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/70
Overall: 220/504
Performance: Good
It WAS a REAL MILE this year as opposed to last year when the swim was much shorter.
Suit: Orca Sleeveless
Course: Out and back in Lake Montauk
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:57
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:00:51 | 22 miles | 21.69 mile/hr
Overall: 174/504
Wind: Some
Course: One loop on a great, beautiful course with some great descents and tough climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:59:15 | 06.2 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Overall: 0/504
Course: Surprisingly tough. These hills in Montauk always surprise me. It is a nice course and very challenging.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-07 8:34 PM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: RJ Aaron Memorial (Mighty Montauk) Triathlon

2008-06-08 6:47 AM
in reply to: #1451888

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: RJ Aaron Memorial (Mighty Montauk) Triathlon
Nice race, Mike. You say it wasn't ideal, but that was a fast swim, nonetheless.
More time at Cedar Beach this summer?

Kick bike, too. Moving up 200 spots overall in a year is no small feat.

Glad to hear you were relaxed, had a good time, and were happy with how you raced. Way to leave it out there. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
2008-06-08 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1451888

User image

Subject: RE: RJ Aaron Memorial (Mighty Montauk) Triathlon

Mike, you had an awesome race!  Great swim, great bike, good transitions, and like Charlie said - you left it all out there! 

If you continue to train strong throughout the summer into the fall, leading up to your HIM; and then maintain a base during the winter, there is no question in my mind that you will go sub 2:30 next year. 

I hope we both do this race every year for many years to come!  Next year we'll carpool and save some gas!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RJ Aaron Memorial (Mighty Montauk) Triathlon Rss Feed