United States
HRCA
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m
Overall Rank = 22/
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/30
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, pulled on my tri shorts and the draw string immediately broke. I spent the next 45 minutes getting a new draw string in my shorts. Called Matt on the way there because I left my directions to the race sitting on my kitchen table. Ate a banana and a cliff bar in the car.
Event warmup:

Ran into Odanelli, Colomingle and Velocomp in transition. We had assigned racks and it turned out that the 4 of us were all placed on the same rack. It was good to have some folks to talk to, but I never got mentally prepared for this race. Got my transition spot squared away and did a short ride on my bike to make sure everything was in working order. Back to transition for a 5 minute run and then to the pool.
Swim
  • 08m 37s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was finally doing some mental preparation. Thinking about pacing, visualizing my race...ok, I just wasn't paying attention. Next thing I knew, my watch was at 6:09 and my wave started at 6:10. By the time I got to my lane, everyone had already begun. Some of them had already completed a full lap. I jumped in and got busy while cussing myself out for being so F&*()^% unprepared.

Surprisingly, I felt pretty good in the water. I focused on my pull and body position in the water. I caught two people immediately. Passed the girl at the end of the pool, then caught a guy on the way other end of the pool, but he refused to let me pass at the end of the pool. I kept slapping his feet on the next length and he still didn't let me pass. On the 3rd length about half way down the pool, I managed to grab his ankle and give a tug. He let me pass.
What would you do differently?:

Get to my lane on time!
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Seemed to be a fairly long run from the pool, so not a bad time for t1

Nada.
Bike
  • 37m 16s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I really didn't feel very strong on the bike at all. There just didn't seem to be much strength in my legs. Overall, however my time was actually ok.

Train more consistently
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

I was the first person in my rack to finish the bike, so I actually had plenty of space, but the transition area still felt cramped. Racked the bike, took off my helmet, pulled on my socks and shoes, grabbed my hat and number belt and was finally on my way. I could have shaved a fair amount of time by not wearing socks for the run, but just can't bring myself to run without socks.

Learn to run without socks.
Run
  • 21m 54s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Out on the run, I slowly began gaining on a woman in red and black quite a ways in front of me. I realized that I was breathing way too hard about a quarter mile in and tried to settle myself down. Just like on the bike, my legs just didn't feel strong. Saw Matt within the first mile on his way back in and gave him a "five." Not too long afterwards, I saw Ray and gave him "five."

Grabbed a bit of water at the turn around and passed my rabbit on the downhill. Dan yelled at me as he was going the other direction and he looked good too. I almost didn't recognize him. He's looking pretty fit these days. A few minutes later, I saw Ocky and gave him "five." All of the BTers looked like they were feeling good. Seeing so many of my friends on the course made the run go by very quickly and it really helped me enjoy the race despite not feeling quite up to par.

Mental preparation, focus and training. I know I've got a much better run than this in me. I should have been closer to a 6:30 pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and visited with all the BT folks. Had 3 beers when Rock Bottom Brewery showed up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

ME. I've obviously got some areas to work on and I think the biggest area is my mental approach. This goes for my training and in this case, especially my race.

Even though I feel like I had a sub-par performance, I still had a decent overall finish time so I know I still have an opportunity to have some success this year. It's just time for me to get my ass in gear :)

Last updated: 2008-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:37 | 500 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Circle swim in a lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:18
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:16 | 12 miles | 19.32 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Two loop course with quite a bit of up hill in it. Especially for a sprint distance race.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:54 | 03.2 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Out & back on paved trail.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-08 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: HRCA Tune Up Sprint Triathalon

2008-06-08 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1452388

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: HRCA Tune Up Sprint Triathalon
Hey, I'd take a performance like this any day of the week. Looks like you did great!
2008-06-09 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Nice job. That swim would have drove me crazy. I ended up getting to my swim just a few minutes before the start but when I got there they were holding up the "E" wave sign and I thought they had already started. Fortunately E wave was "next."

Nice to meet you at Mel's house. Great job again!
2008-06-09 10:27 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Nice race overall.  I think you still had a good swim time with the late start. I don't know what's up with people that won't let you pass them?  That would have been frustrating.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HRCA Tune Up Sprint Triathalon Rss Feed