Long Island Gold Coast Triathlon
76F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 14m 21s
Overall Rank = 88/774
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 16/86
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 a.m. For once, I packed the car the night before and put the bike rack on the night before. Drank a cup of coffee, ate a waffle and a peanut butter power bar, popped two endurolytes; kissed the wife and drove an hour 15 minutes to the race site.
Event warmup:

Chatted with Charlie (thelunchbox), chatted with my two tri buddies (Adam and Mike) who I met from my first ever tri, chatted with my friend Mike I used to play ice hockey with. So I pretty much just exercised my gums.

Also, I biked 31 miles and ran 6 miles yesterday - so I wasn't too concerned about warming up.
Swim
  • 15m 44s
  • 805 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started right in the very front of my wave, right in the center. Why not?!? We noticed from the prior waves that the current was pushing everyone off to the right. I sighted extremely well to the first buoy, only a small handfull of swimmers passed me - swam to and rounded the buoy perfectly. Got into a nice groove headed to the next buoy, drafted off someone for maybe 20 seconds, caught up and passed lots of slow swimmers from the prior wave. Sighted perfectly to the last buoy, turned, and then for whatever reason I started swimming crooked and slighlty off course toward the shore.

I knew from my last two OPW tri swims that I had to work on my sighting. I had this terrible habit of either getting water in my goggles and not being able to see the buoys clearly, or I would stop entirely to sight and then restart swimming again. This time around I made sure my goggles were tight enough to elminate water, and I breathed forward (instead of to the side) and was able to sight mid-stroke, every dozen or so strokes.

I was doing so well that I got overconfident and on the last leg I swam slightly off course and easily cost myself an extra 30 seconds.

I was out of the water in just over 14 minutes, and despite what my time per 100m is, I had a really good swim and for whatever reason really feel it was faster. Oh well.
What would you do differently?:

Try and draft more. Treat each new buoy as an important goal. Just because I sight two buoys really well doesn't mean I'm going to sight the third just as easily.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Yup. It actually happened. A real-life nightmare. I couldn't find my bike. Instead of "Dude, Where's My Car?" ...it was "Dude, Where's My Bike?"

Pre-race, I counted the number of racks from the fence. Even mentioned it to some people around me just before heading down to the swim start. Had a landmark and everything. I just goofed. Wasted a solid 45 - 60 seconds running in circles.

Once I found my bike I had my suit off and helmet on within 20 seconds.

Not lose my bike!
Bike
  • 35m
  • 12 miles
  • 20.57 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a "C Race" for me. More of like a tempo work-out where I could also practice my transitions. I'd biked 31 miles the day prior so I knew I wouldn't put up stellar numbers. I was only passed by maybe five people and passed two hundred or so; granted there were lots of mountain bikes, beach cruisers, and non-tri bikes. I'm happy with my speed but honestly thought my average mph would have been a touch faster. Once again, oh well.

If this were an "A or B Race" I would have tapered during the week and rested the day before. But since I was sick all week, I needed to get in a long BRICK the day prior to the race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

I made up for my horrific T1 transition. I've mastered the art of getting out my shoes, swinging my one leg over, and jumping off and running with my bike at the dismount spot into the transition area.

Continue to try to get even quicker.
Run
  • 20m 53s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was short. Was probably more like 2.8 miles; not a full 3. I was passed by only 6 or 7 guys and passed dozens and dozens. Both calves pinged with cramps the first 1/4 mile which forced me to start slow. But then I found a groove and cruised. Again, I ran a 10k yesterday so my legs were not super fresh; but then again, I'd only run once all week. All in all a mediocre run.

Nothing. I just need to keep BRICKING, keep running road races, keep participating in triathlons and I will get faster.
Post race
Warm down:

The after race spread was pitiful. Pour your own water into a freaking dixie cup and pre-wrapped bagels. That's it. No gatorade, no fruit, no nuttin'.

Went to my car and got my gatorade and popped two more Hammer Endurolytes. (For pre-race - to help reduce cramping; and for Post-Race - to aide recovery, Endurolytes really work for me. They have Vitamin B, Sodium, and a 1/2 dozen other ingredients that have worked very well for me. Just an fyi ;) )

What limited your ability to perform faster:

BRICKING the day prior to the race.

Event comments:

To be honest, this is a short distance triathlon. There were many people with mountain bikes and beach cruisers; many people were doing their first triathlon; there were lots and lots of friends and family around -- this event is more of a small social affair than a race. Which is a good thing. Many people commented that in years past there was much more support. This year a glaring problem was zero port-a-potties, zero sports drinks during or after the race, and -- aside from bagels -- zero food. If this were an Olympic distance or greater, it would have been an utter fiasco. Despite the crowded bike and run, lack of race support, pot-hole ridden roads, it wasn't that bad a race. I saw lots of my tri friends and (as usual) made some new ones. I think the social aspect of this race, surrounded by friends, family, kids and the fact that it's a short race, make it a lot of fun despite the glaring fact the Race Directors dropped the ball this year.

Last updated: 2008-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:44 | 805 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 21/86
Overall: 144/774
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Hydrofull
Course: Typical three-sided swim square in a cove off the Long Island Sound.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:00 | 12 miles | 20.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/86
Overall: 119/774
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Two loops of closed roads that went around an industrial park.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:53 | 03 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/86
Overall: 150/774
Performance: Average
Course: Two 1.5 mile loops along a cement boardwalk and around Hempstead Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-15 9:20 PM

User image

Subject: Long Island Gold Coast Triathlon

2008-06-16 6:00 AM
in reply to: #1468085

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
Subject: RE: Long Island Gold Coast Triathlon
Congrats on another great tri under your belt.
2008-06-16 6:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Nice job.
2008-06-16 8:01 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Great job for a C race! Ha! Super fast times!

You will have to tie a smiley face balloon to your bike so you can find it next time  

2008-06-16 8:49 AM
in reply to: #1468420

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Nice splits. Well except for T1  

More experience and given your health earlier in the week an excellent effort. Good job.

2008-06-16 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
Very nice, especially considering the week you had and then blasting yourself the day before on the bike.

I pegged the run at 2.85 with the Forerunner. I knew I wasn't that fast!

Well done.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Island Gold Coast Triathlon Rss Feed