Other Resources My Cup of Joe » My Dog is Dumber than Your Dog (Weirder, too) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-06-18 11:31 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: My Dog is Dumber than Your Dog (Weirder, too)

Huh. Like dog, like owner? Pics welcome.

My dog jumps off roofs (AROOOOOO how did all that empty space get here I'm faaaallliiiing SPLAT), walks into walls, gets randomly attacked by chairs (how did that chair get right there?), and eats soap.

Yesterday, I bit into an apple ... it was okay, just not quite crunchy and not quite sweet, you know? I looked at doggie and, well, she just looked like she wanted the apple. So I gave it to her.

Crunch crunch crunch (to my delight) crunch crunch crunch. She settled down with it, and to my amazement--this is a dog that wolfs down everything in sight (the soap!)--she crunched a rough line around the middle, like a human would do. Then she ate the top, and spit out the stem. She proceeded to crunch the bottom, and finally what was left of the middle core part ... and spit out the seeds. 

I've got to get video of this.

Last night I let her sleep on the bed, and usually she curls up in a dog donut right at my feet or in the crook of my knees. This time? She sidled up next to me, stretched out, and lay on her back. Just like a human! I looked at her funny, and she looked at me like, "What?" (Of course, that's her usual expression. Both as in, so-what? and, duh-what?

2008-06-18 11:54 AM
in reply to: #1474209

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: My Dog is Dumber than Your Dog (Weirder, too)
When mine was really little, I was getting my breakfast together and couldn't find my apple for the life of me. Then I see my (at the time) 3 pound pomeranian running/shuffling away with her head bobbing frantically. She had stolen the apple which was almost as big as her! She still loves all fruits and vegetables - takes after her mommy

Besides the size difference though, yours sounds a lot like mine - constantly running into walls, getting into fights with her kibble (and yes, the kibble wins regularly) and falling off of anything there is to fall off of. She used to fall in my parents pool all the time (we're the ground go???? SPLASH!"), that was always a source for concern.

Both her and her brother (her smarter half) think they are people and sleep lying on their sides with their heads on pillows - it is rediculously cute.
2008-06-18 11:55 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Dogs only or can cats play too?
2008-06-18 12:14 PM
in reply to: #1474279

User image

Melon Presser

crowny2 - 2008-06-18 10:55 AM Dogs only or can cats play too?

Why, mmmrrrrrrrrrrrow there.

2008-06-18 12:39 PM
in reply to: #1474344

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
TriAya - 2008-06-18 12:14 PM

I'll take that as a yes. 

My Thomas.  First a description.  Father was Siamese and mother was part persian (all white and a farm cat).  So he had the same color scheme as Tom off of Tom & Jerry.  White belly and socks with grey back and darker grey tail.  And Baby Blue eyes.  Yep.  Baby Blue.  Unfortunately, they were just slightly cross eyed, but that's besides the point.

And he was big.  I mean REALLY big.  He was close to 2 ft' from nose to azz, not counting tail.  And at his heaviest he was 22 lbs.  Not fat, BIG!  Slept in the garage and spent all day long outside.  Came in the house 2 times a year.  His birthday (July) and Christmas.  Both to get his toys.  Then back out he went.

Anyway, he wasn't the smartest of cats.  Not stupid, just not real smart.  For instance, when he did make it into the house when he wasn't supposed to, he would go flying through the house to try to stay as long as he could.  We would chase him all over the place.  Well we had a sliding glass door leading out to the back yard.  You can already see where this is going.  Yep.  He would head straight for the door, leave the carpet, hit the parkay floor, realize about a foot or two from the glass that it was there, start the back pedal (which in and of itself is probably the funniest thing you can imagine seeing) and WHAMMO!!!!!!  Slam head first into it.  Thing is, he never really bounced off of it.  He would just sit there, head resting on the glass like "Stupid, stupid, stupid.  Every single time!"  That little scenario would happen at least 2-3 times a year.  He lived to be 13 and did it right up to the end!!!

2008-06-18 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My older dog, Pookie. is very stunned. She is a Foxhound mix... and has been known to follow her nose just about anywhere.

My favourite moment is when she is eating her dinner out of the metal bowl outside. We feed raw, so she often has a big Chicken leg in the bowl. Sometimes she doesn't lift it all the way out of the bowl, but tries to carry it down the stairs... instead she drags the metal bowl and it goes crashing down the stairs. She usually scares the be-jesus out of herself... drops the chicken and runs away. She stands there and stairs until someone picks up the chicken and delivers it to her way far away from the attack bowl!!

She now shares her dinner with a big old Magpie in the evenings... he flies right down and eats with her... out of the bowl. It drives my other dog CRAZY... I don't think Pookie even notices.

She is almost 15 now... and with her old age, she just "forgets" what she is doing... Last night we were eating steak in the living room and I was slicing my steak on the coffee table... she was standing and staring at the food... and in slow motion, she leaned in closer and closer and closer... licked her chops and opened her mouth and was an inch from grabbing the steak when I shouted out "POOKS"... I think she thought no one was watching... or she was being casual enough no one would notice. My DH and I were watching the entire slow motion event waiting to see what she was going to do. So silly. She would honestly NEVER do that in her more sane years.

Jumping on the bed... but missing it by about 1 foot... I never laughed so hard. My DH gave me heck for that... it was after her stroke when she lost her depth perception.

I can't accuse my Border Collie of being too dumb... although she has moments of insanity.

(213616[1].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
213616[1].jpg (53KB - 6 downloads)

2008-06-18 1:05 PM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

My dog is a retard.  He actually responds to "butt head."  Not kidding, we got so used to calling him a butt head for his bones head moves, he actually responds to this name.

His big stupid pet trick is shoving his nose all the way into your shoes as soon as you remove them.  He shoved his head in and twists his head all around while inside the shoes. 

When I get home from work, he is my shadow - he sits in the doorway waiting for me to take my shoes off and put them in the closet. 

The real funny thing is that it seems to be a guilty pleasure for him because he will not do it if he knows you are looking at him.  So I have to literally turn away.  As this happens every night, I've done little experiments where I'll stand there watching him for a while, he'll just sit down next to the shoes until I'm not looking and when I finally do turn away, he's off to town.

He typically only does this to freshly worn shoes, but has occasion gone on binges where he'll sneak into the closet and been seen going up and down my rows of shoes doing this to each shoe.

On more than one occasion, he has gotten his puppy head stuck in the shoe and has stumbled out of the closet looking for someone to help him remove the shoe.

---------

My wife's dog, (who passed away in February), had a habit of barking at animals on TV.  She wouldn't just bark, but would charge the TV and lunge at the TV.  We had to purchase a higher TV stand because on several occasions, she pushed the TV off the back of the stand.

Summer 1998, the dog spent the summer with friends as we were in Atlanta (couldn't bring the dog with us).  We had forgot to tell them about this TV barking thing and one night she lunged at the TV, hitting a combination of buttons on the front of the TV.  She had somehow triggers the "For Sale Display Mode" on the TV, so while it played normal TV, it scrolled "For Sale" and "To Purchase this TV..." across the full screen.  Our friends got hung-up on when they called the customer service support line and we're asked the question : "please explain what happened to cause the TV to make this display."

2008-06-18 1:14 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

Not so much dumb as pathetic.  My Nikki (who died last year), despite being the first animal to join the gearboy home, always assumed she was lowest on the totem pole.  So when the cats (who were the last to join) would eat from her food dish, she would just sit there and cry.  There's nothing more pathetic than a 90 pound golden retriever being bullied by a 16 pound cat!

Of course, the one cat had a real evil streak.  My daughter kept finding knives by her bedside.  It was getting a little creepy.  Till one day I caught her cat with a paring knife in it's mouth, taking it upstairs.  We learned to keep better track of loose knives.  But I still don't trust the cats!

2008-06-18 1:17 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

Yesterday morning my catr did something so funny.  She was on top of my tall dresser and the top drawer was pulled out about 2 inches.   I keep my panties in this drawer.   She proceeded to stick her paw in and pull out every peice of underwear I own, letting them drop to the floor.   D and I just watched and laughed.

My previous dog used to eat anything.  he got into a salad bowl and ate everything except he spit out the chopped parsley

2008-06-18 1:55 PM

User image

Pro
MA

Hehehe... I'll play, too

My cat Annie can be kind of dump.  Once she was looking out of the full length window and saw a cat outside.  Outside cat started walking away.  Annie decided to follow by taking off at the same direction and ran into my bookcase.  Books fell on her.  Another time in the patio Annie wanted to chase a squirrel.  My cats are declawed (I got them that way) indoor cats, only that day for some reason they went out to the patio.  Of course she wasn't fast enough.  The squirrel jumped to the top of the fences about 6 ft tall. Annie stood up on her hind legs and looked at it with amazement.  And she would hissed at cats on the TV!

Littler Tiger, Annie's twin sister, is more curious.  Once she was taking a nap on the treadmill.  My ex-ex-bf turned the mill on at a very low pace.  Little Tiger, felt the belt moving backward, jumped off, only to return, sniffed and touched the slow-moving belt with her paw as to check out what was going on. 

Last year yesterday was the day Annie was put down.  She suffered from lymphoma.  She was 15.  Little Tiger is still doing great. 

Edited by D.K. 2008-06-18 1:57 PM
2008-06-18 2:01 PM
in reply to: #1474508

User image

Pro
MA

She now shares her dinner with a big old Magpie in the evenings... he flies right down and eats with her... out of the bowl. It drives my other dog CRAZY... I don't think Pookie even notices. 

Hahahaha!  Rossini's opera "The Theifing Magpie".  LOL

2008-06-18 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
my wifes dog never figured this out...You would call her and she would make a straight line to you....never mind the pool in between...and she looked shocked when suddenly she is in water and not running on grass.

The other thing she failed to learn was the distance from the invisible fence to the shock. She would just hit it and look like an invisible something surprised her....everytime. They turned up the juice on it and she would inevitably end up on the ground, determined to leave the yard. Picture a Hollywood scene: Dog on the ground, on its stomach, crawling, in obvious pain but thinking, "I-must-keep-going"....hysterical to watch. They finally ended up turning off the fence. Of course she then met the UPS truck up close and personal. Survived. Screwy dog.
2008-06-18 2:20 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
 I had a Brittney Spainial that would spit in hi tin feed dish so it made a sound like a spitoon.  Go figure. 
2008-06-18 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan
TriAya - 2008-06-18 12:31 PM

By looks of it, must be a boxer, i can relate i've got 2

(DSCF0767.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
DSCF0767.JPG (30KB - 8 downloads)
2008-06-18 2:35 PM
in reply to: #1474884

User image

Melon Presser
Shortyy - 2008-06-18 1:32 PM
TriAya - 2008-06-18 12:31 PM

By looks of it, must be a boxer, i can relate i've got 2

OMG soooooooooooo cute ... could totally be mine! With the inside-out ear, too.

2008-06-18 2:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

My boxer Desmond was on a walk with my wife the other night (bright moonlit night) saw his shadow and proceeded to run from it. Jumped to one side then the other and darned if the evil shadow didn't follow. He will bark anytime he hears a doorbell, even if it is on TV.

And I'm not sure that this is weird, but it is funny as hell. When our chihuahua (who can't use the dog door) scratches to get in, Desmond will go stick his head out the dog door and look down at her like "duuuhhh, why are you still out here?" Then other times from outside he'll just stick his head in and try to figure out where my son is so they can play.

But I guess my question is How does your dog get on roofs? 

Edited by morgenrr 2008-06-18 2:47 PM

2008-06-18 2:54 PM
in reply to: #1474930

User image

Melon Presser
morgenrr - 2008-06-18 1:46 PM

My boxer Desmond was on a walk with my wife the other night (bright moonlit night) saw his shadow and proceeded to run from it. Jumped to one side then the other and darned if the evil shadow didn't follow. He will bark anytime he hears a doorbell, even if it is on TV.

And I'm not sure that this is weird, but it is funny as hell. When our chihuahua (who can't use the dog door) scratches to get in, Desmond will go stick his head out the dog door and look down at her like "duuuhhh, why are you still out here?" Then other times from outside he'll just stick his head in and try to figure out where my son is so they can play.

But I guess my question is How does your dog get on roofs? 

Ha ha ha ... that is hilarious.

My friend Kenneth sometimes takes her for sleepovers, and he has a ranch-style house, so there's a window out onto a flat roof. She hopped out the window, took off running, and ran out of roof ... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Kenneth said (after he found her and got over his heart attack) it was totally like a Tom and Jerry scene where Tom runs off a cliff and is frozen in slo-mo, looks around, then falls.

2008-06-18 3:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Oh and I forgot to add the fun and hilarity that ensued after the family and I got back home one night and found bunch of pink stains on the carpet, we looked around and found an empty 1lb bag of Valentine M&M's.  then we found a boxer with pink paws and a pink chest and a pink muzzle.  Apparently they may not melt in hands but they will melt on your paws if you lick them enough.

He's fine now by the way, vet made him puke and we were good later.

2008-06-18 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Decatur, GA

I can relate to the doggie pathetic-ness.  My border collie (while very smart) consistently bows to the reign of our Alpha cat.  We have a special blanket for the dog to sleep on at night.  Sometimes the cat decides he wants to sleep there.  The dog will lay on the floor next to the blanket either whining or jusr resigning herself to sleeping on the floor.  The cat also attacks the dog on the yard.  Without warning he will dash out from under a bush and do a drive-by swatting of the dog's nose.

My cat loves to sleep on his back with his legs spread wide.  He looks like an old, fat man veggin'out in front of the tv.

2008-06-18 3:34 PM

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
My cat managed to temporarily paralyze herself by chasing nothing, like cats are wont to do. Well, really, she did it more by running into the bedroom door while chasing the nothingness.

That was a couple of years after she managed to starve herself to the point where she was at the vet for a week, and then i had to force-feed her for a couple of months. Stupid cat wigged out when i left her at my parents' house while i went on vacation and thought i'd abandoned her.

(zasu2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
zasu2.jpg (5KB - 7 downloads)
2008-06-18 4:09 PM
in reply to: #1475135

User image

Expert
TheSchwamm - 2008-06-18 3:34 PM

My cat managed to temporarily paralyze herself by chasing nothing, like cats are wont to do. Well, really, she did it more by running into the bedroom door while chasing the nothingness.

That was a couple of years after she managed to starve herself to the point where she was at the vet for a week, and then i had to force-feed her for a couple of months. Stupid cat wigged out when i left her at my parents' house while i went on vacation and thought i'd abandoned her.

All falls in the realm of "normal" for a cat. People decided these things are good for pets, why?

2008-06-19 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
I forgot about my dog's shining moment of dumbness. I was at the dog park with my 2 dogs and there was a guy with his 2 dogs there. Hubbie and I are chatting with the guy while the dogs are running around, doing their thing. I look over and see my Moose dog (the smart one) digging. I think nothing of it until he starts yelping in pain and comes running over crying. He is COVERED in fire ants. He was digging in their bed! So, I clean him off, calm him down, am sitting with him on my lap comforting him when the dumber dog (Patches) goes over to see what he got into. Yep, now she's covered in ants and crying hysterically! Hubbie cleans her off (they were even in her mouth!) and calms her down. Puts her down and guess where she goes? Yep, she beelines it back to the ant bed to repeat the process! They got taken home from the dog park once she was cleaned up. She also really enjoys peeing on ant beds, I swear she sniffs them out and aims for them. I keep telling her they are literally going to bite her in the a$$ if she keeps it up.
2008-06-19 8:33 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

When we still had Murphy (and were watching the in-laws dog....Sophie), someone left the door open to the kids room and Sophie taught Murphy about the doggie joys of taking dirty diapers...yeah poopie ones also....out of the trash and eating them.  Such fun to pick up 'white diaper poop' for the next few days.

Too add a little smarts to this topic.  We think Murphy learned that if he licked his metal cage enough he could rust it and weaken it and destroy it when he would beat on it when he was locked up.  Some nights he would go into his cage and just sit there and lick the metal.  Of course, that could also exist on the dumb level also.

Edited by tupuppy 2008-06-19 8:33 AM
2008-06-19 8:49 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

I have two Labrador Retrievers that are crazy.

Boomer, a chocolate male, can't swim.  Well, it's not that he CAN'T; he just doesn't know how.  When we first got him, he would not come near the water.  He would stand right at the edge and bark at me while I waded up to knee-depth.  Finally, he was just so pathetic that I coaxed him out on a dock and then threw him in.  He freaked out!  He tried to put his paws on top of the water and walk on it.  Now, he'll at least "wade" with me and when he does he sticks his face under the water and runs, blowing bubbles out his nose the whole time.  Still can't get him to come out past where he can touch the bottom.

I also remember the first time I tried to play fetch with him.  We were outside and I threw the ball thinking, "He's a retriever; he'll know what to do."  He just watched the ball bounce away and then looked up at me as if to say, "You better go pick that up before Momma sees what you did!"

Trinity, my black female, loves to do two things: fetch and swim.  That is, until she gets tired.  We know when she's tired because she'll bring the ball out of the water, go to a nearby tree or mound, "hide" the ball there, and then come back as if to say, "I don't know where the toy went, Poppa."

It's been a year since I've seen them; next week can't come soon enough.

2008-06-19 8:58 AM
in reply to: #1474420

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Oh thanks! This one made my day!! My coworkers want to know what was so funny![

QUOTE]crowny2 - 2008-06-18 12:39 PM

TriAya - 2008-06-18 12:14 PM

I'll take that as a yes.

My Thomas. First a description. Father was Siamese and mother was part persian (all white and a farm cat). So he had the same color scheme as Tom off of Tom & Jerry. White belly and socks with grey back and darker grey tail. And Baby Blue eyes. Yep. Baby Blue. Unfortunately, they were just slightly cross eyed, but that's besides the point.

And he was big. I mean REALLY big. He was close to 2 ft' from nose to azz, not counting tail. And at his heaviest he was 22 lbs. Not fat, BIG! Slept in the garage and spent all day long outside. Came in the house 2 times a year. His birthday (July) and Christmas. Both to get his toys. Then back out he went.

Anyway, he wasn't the smartest of cats. Not stupid, just not real smart. For instance, when he did make it into the house when he wasn't supposed to, he would go flying through the house to try to stay as long as he could. We would chase him all over the place. Well we had a sliding glass door leading out to the back yard. You can already see where this is going. Yep. He would head straight for the door, leave the carpet, hit the parkay floor, realize about a foot or two from the glass that it was there, start the back pedal (which in and of itself is probably the funniest thing you can imagine seeing) and WHAMMO!!!!!! Slam head first into it. Thing is, he never really bounced off of it. He would just sit there, head resting on the glass like "Stupid, stupid, stupid. Every single time!" That little scenario would happen at least 2-3 times a year. He lived to be 13 and did it right up to the end!!!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » My Dog is Dumber than Your Dog (Weirder, too) Rss Feed  

of 2