General Discussion Triathlon Talk » being brutal or a state of mind? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-06-24 9:43 AM
in reply to: #1484083

User image

Extreme Veteran
shenandoah valley
Subject: RE: being brutal or a state of mind?
mrbbrad - 2008-06-23 3:54 PM

mrussell - 2008-06-23 3:14 PM Tough on the body??? It's not like being an interior lineman in the NFL, now that's tough on the body.

I think he means if that's all you do; sit around eating and drinking and watching tv, then go out once a week and play softball. Recipe for injury. 

Yeah, I knew what he meant. I was pointing out that running, cycling, and swimming, which most of do, considering the name of this site, is a helluva lot easier on the body than other athletic pursuits.

I also know that when people say they "can't" exercise, it really means the don't want to. They'd rather sit on their a$$, eating 'n drinking, watching tv.

Edited by mrussell 2008-06-24 9:43 AM

2008-06-24 9:46 AM
in reply to: #1483694

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
vball03umd - 2008-06-23 1:10 PM

I think any sport has the potential to wear out the body if you don't train properly, get enough rest, and allow your body recovery time when necessary.  People get hurt and wear out their bodies when they overtrain and choose to ignore aches, pains, and fatigue.  Personally I'd prefer to wear my body out by doing something athletic vs. sitting on the couch getting fat and lazy.  

Yep, what he said.

We are all getting older... our bodies are wearing down... if we exercise or not. The difference is being mobile at 80 years old, or being in a wheelchair. Sure, I might have some joint/knee issues at 80, but I'll still be moving, because I was physically active in my younger days.

But I have noticed that a lot of athletes have injuries. It's just how it goes. Aches, pains, what not... that they train through.
2008-06-24 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1485898

User image

Expert
Computerland
Rad-Onc PA - 2008-06-24 10:09 AM

Nothing scientific about this statement...Just strictly based on what I see day in day out as a PA in a radiation clinic......I've seen a few patients in the last decade here who were athletes of some kind come in with the tell-all scar on the knee from a total knee replacement, ACL repair, or simple scopes. However, I have seen those scars on far more patients who are obese and haven't had their heart rate over 150 since the last time the elevator was broken and they had to walk two flights of stairs. Sure, any athletic activity puts you at risk of injury. Tri's undoubtedly come with SOME wear and tear. But saying tri's can cause harm, and he therefore avoids them, is kind of like saying seatbelts can potentially trap you in your car should you crash into a lake causing you to drown so you shouldn't wear it....In the long run, swimming, biking, and running, will be beneficial and lead to a longer, higher quality life....(as does wearing your seatbelt.....sorry, had to throw that in. Just had argument with someone on that subject)

I completely agree. Triathlons do lead to a much higher quality of life. They are also not as harmful as many (unathletic) people believe them to be.
Even if triathlons do involve wear and tear, I would rather tear my body by going outside and doing something I loved rater than passively sitting on the couch, pigging out on chips, and having "bad knees" due to obesity.
2008-06-24 2:49 PM
in reply to: #1483652

Veteran
Toronto
If it's so tough on the body why do other triathletes in their 70's keep passing me?
2008-06-24 8:19 PM

Expert
Southeast
You can wear your body down on a number of different time scales. Hence there are different kinds of recovery that need to be built in to your training cycle.  You need rest after a particularly hard workout.  You need to build in recovery weeks during your training cycle.  And you need not to be training hard (even WITH rest weeks) all year.  Some apparently smart and experienced people (e.g., Dallam and Jonas, and see their book, which I thought was really good) suggest no more than 36 weeks of serious training per year.  The other 16 weeks is 'off season' (which doesn't mean doing nothing, but does mean not seriously training).
2008-06-25 5:18 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Nothing at all in the slightest bit scientific about the response I'm about to make, but....

I believe that triathlon training is a great way to keep myself physically fit (i.e., a health weight, good strong cardiovascular system, etc.) I also believe that rotating between the 3 sports actually makes it less likely that I will encounter some kind of repetetive use injury than if I were focusing on just one of the three...

2008-06-25 5:31 AM

User image

Okay pretty much everyone has said that exercise is good for the body, and yes it can take its toll too. Yet, one hour of exercise a day can add precious time to your life. Some people just don't understand that all triathletes aren't balls to the wall pros who always compete in Ironmans. I agree with whoever said it before, that when you say you're a triathlete people assume you're an Ironman (someday baby). There are worst sports out there than endurance sports. Football players get terrible lifelong injuries, and most bodybuilders/powerlifters(it is a sport) die from heart attacks due to drugs (not all do). Every sport takes its toll on the body the question is are you strong enough to do it. If you train right, eat clean, and live clean, then hell yeah. Plus, tri'n is better than dyin'.
2008-06-25 5:57 AM
in reply to: #1488389

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire

jsnowash - 2008-06-25 6:18 AM I also believe that rotating between the 3 sports actually makes it less likely that I will encounter some kind of repetetive use injury than if I were focusing on just one of the three...

I'm surprised it took someone this long to point this out - how much better off are triathletes than single-sport athletes (especially single sports that are very repetitive, e.g. running, swimming single stroke, etc.) at avoiding injury and muscle over/under development? I mean, tri'ers have a special bike configuration specifically to use/work different muscle groups while cycling versus running!

You wanna talk about wearing down your body: purposefully stand in front of fairly hard balls going 75-90 mph trying to stop them, throw yourself to the ground in all sorts of various twists and turns at every available opportunity, be willing to launch yourself such that you are horizontal five feet off the ground knowing that gravity will soon pull you into its cruel arms, put your face, hands, legs, chest, and back at ground level with cleated athletes crowded and kicking all around you, be able to throw and punt said hard ball halfway down a football field (and practice that regularly), etc. etc. etc. But you know what, I wouldn't trade my days as a soccer keeper for ANYTHING! Man, tri'ing is my way of being LESS brutal! :lol:

2008-06-25 6:05 AM

User image

Buttercup

roxygirl - 2008-06-23 2:00 PM  But i wonder how many of you out there believe in his thoery that tri's are just another way to wear down a body before its time?  Is it being brutal to your body, or just a mental state of mind?

I believe there are studies out there that support the idea that endurance sports will age the body prematurely. I guess the question is what tri distance are you training for? Training for a sprint or Olympic is not arduous, nor does it require massive training volume.

Yesterday I was thinking of the running legend, Jim Fixx, who died unexpectedly and at a fairly young age of a heart attack. People pointed to him and said "What did all that running do for him? He's dead at 52." Well ... we're all going to die and we don't get to decide when. But we do decide how to live and Jim lived well and doing the thing he loved to do. What more could one ask for?

2008-06-25 6:58 AM
in reply to: #1488405

User image

Runner
Jim Fixx was also very predisposed to heart problems, and had a horrible diet.
2008-06-25 7:04 AM
in reply to: #1484800

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western MA

amiine - 2008-06-23 8:34 PM If I was training at the elite level (similar training load) then I would be concern about long term health issues due to the excessive stress on the body but at our level not at all, in fact I think it will benefit my health in the long term. But even if it doesn't I rather live and die doing something I enjoy...

X3   Great post......

2008-06-25 8:15 AM

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
To me, I'd rather "wear out" my joints and possibly have to have joint reconstruction or joint replacement, and still have the rest of my body functioning properly when I'm older than the other option. Open heart surgery, stroke, diabetes, hypertension, obese - those would affect my quality of life far more when I'm older, and are much harder to treat than a few joint problems IMO.

But having said that - anytime I did an ortho or sports med rotation, the vast majority of patients in there were overweight. You would have the occasional athlete, but even when they showed up, it was usually something minor, or didn't require surgery - only PT.
2008-06-25 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1485898

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Rad-Onc PA - 2008-06-24 8:09 AM

However, I have seen those scars on far more patients who are obese and haven't had their heart rate over 150 since the last time the elevator was broken and they had to walk two flights of stairs.

You obviously have never seen me move at an all-you-can-eat buffet. My heart is usually in at least Zone 5!

Oh yeah, x2 on what pretty much everyone has said. I personally LOVE putting my body through some brutality now. It's my way of paying it back for getting so fat on me.
2008-06-25 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Moderation is always the key. Of course, overdoing anything is going to be detrimental. Too much of a good thing...

But, our bodies were not made to be soft, saggy, and on the couch. They are built for forward movement. And they are built to move forward for long periods of time. I would hazard a guess, that outside those who are overweight (and therefore putting much more force on their joints), most serious knee injuries are due to participation in sports with lateral or torquing motions (soccer, tennis, football, golf).

One night when I was running, some dude in his car made a point of slowing down as he went by to remark that "running is bad for your knees." I replied: "I've been running for 30 years, and I've never had knee problems. At what point will it be bad for my knees?"

2008-06-25 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville, la

Of all the sports out there that wear the body down i find being a triathlete to be the least impact on the body.  We all move at a different pace than football, baseball, heck even a weight lifter or boxer.  Those high paying very physical sports do keep them activitly moving but it does shorten their life span by the hard impact they take on their bodies day in and day out.

Id never trade my ablility to get up run three miles, ride 20 miles and swim a half mile for a week inside of a house on a couch watching endless movies at someone else expense.  Even if it was on a tropical island id still be outside moving about enjoying what life has given me..the ablity to be active and extend my life by that much more.

If i died tomorrow id be happy with where im at now..and it shows my kids that if mom can do it..so can i.

2008-06-25 10:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
I used to be one of those people that wouldn't run because I had a bad knee and just knew that it would be bad for me to run. I used to have knee issues periodically for no real reason at all. Over the years, I let myself fall into the morbidly obese category and was almost as sedentary as you could get.

I started training for my tri in January and since I got good running shoes and orthotics, I haven't had any knee issues. I finished my first tri on 6/22 and there were NO knee issues. Did I have muscle soreness? Absolutely! But you know what? I wasn't nearly as sore as I thought I would be. I went to my chiropractor on Monday and he told me my joints felt fine. The best thing was that I was pretty much back to normal yesterday. I am a living example of the body's amazing regenerative abilities!

2008-06-26 8:17 AM

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether

Ok you guys realize there are other ways to stay fit and healthy besides triathlon.  The alternative to triathlon is not necessarily to be a fat lazy couch potato.  Friends of mine think I’m nuts cause I’ll ride 70+ miles in a day no problem.  I, on the other hand, think the ultramarthoners around here are nuts.  To each his own I say.  Asking that question in this forum is like walking into a seminary and asking if it is stupid to believe in God.

2008-06-26 4:33 PM

User image

Regular
Central Minnesota
The guy who finished behind me in a recent 1/2 marathon was an orthopedic surgeon.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » being brutal or a state of mind? Rss Feed  

of 2