General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Zipp's 2008 Disc Wheel (not your typical question) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-07-05 4:05 PM
in reply to: #1505500

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Zipp's 2008 Disc Wheel (not your typical question)
Yeah, seems like a civil suit to me too. Along the lines of common law Conversion for the guy who ended up with the wheel.

You may also have a negligence action against the apartment complex. Because you notified them and they accepted responsibility they likely had a duty to hold that wheel for you. Instead, their failure to check for valid ID (or whatever) was negligent and it caused your loss.

Im really sorry to hear about this loss for you... its gonna be a huge pain for you to get your money/wheel back from someone, but I think you can do it if you keep at it.

You can likely file a claim in the small claims court in your locality and you will be able to go at it pro se (without a lawyer). You will present evidence and the judge will decide who is liable for your damages.

Best of luck!

2008-07-05 5:41 PM

User image

Tyler,

hey thanks buddy,

I may have to use those words you put in there when I edit the claim letter tonight.

So should I go after the apartment complex first? or should I go after both at the same time?

I want to make sure I have a good claim that can win a case before going to court.

Just so were clear I used to live in apartment 2710 and failed to change my address for the shipping (I suppose I overlooked that part, but I didn't think that I did at the time.) The apartment was notified that the package was mine before the other guy picked it up. Do I have a good case?

2008-07-05 9:57 PM
in reply to: #1509583

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
triritter - 2008-07-05 5:41 PM

Just so were clear I used to live in apartment 2710 and failed to change my address for the shipping (I suppose I overlooked that part, but I didn't think that I did at the time.) The apartment was notified that the package was mine before the other guy picked it up. Do I have a good case?

Impossible to say for sure. I find it hard to believe that the guy would throw away a new Zipp disc wheel. He had to know it was expensive (I assume it came with an invoice). In fact, it probably had your name on it (even if it had the wrong apartment number). He should have brought it back to the apartment front office. A reasonable person would have, or would have done a quick internet search to see if he could find you.

My suspicion (and it appears to be yours as well) is that he just wants to keep the wheel and either use it himself if he's a cyclist, or sell it for some cash. Either way, you need to name both him and the apartment complex, if you decide to take this to court.
2008-07-05 10:26 PM

User image

Tyler,

hahaha I actually used to work with this guy....on the verge of thug/ghetto/tried out for college basketball team but got cut guy.

I doubt he claims to have not reviewed the reciept, if not then I doubt he had knowlege of how much one cost.

A year ago, I would have not known how much one would cost either,but I would tell the main office there was a mistake.

2008-07-06 7:38 AM
in reply to: #1509820

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
Wait a second! You know the guy and he didn't bother to either bring the wheel to you or mention to you that he had it? Even more fishy.

Some advice if you go to court:

1. Have your evidence organized and ready to go for your court date. Small claims court judges deal with a lot of yahoos. If you have well-organized evidence and witnesses who will tell a coherent story, you'll be better off. You don't want to be like the losing side on Judge Judy or People's Court. Be prepared.

2. If you can get statements from people at the front office, that will help. A sworn statement or affidavit from the person(s) you spoke to setting forth the details of your conversation confirming that they would hold the wheel for you will be very good evidence. It will confirm your own testimony.

3. Don't get indignant or upset when speaking with the judge. Present your story in a concise and coherent way and let the other guys present their story without interrupting.

I hope it pans out for you.
2008-07-06 12:26 PM

User image

Tyler,

I'm gonna have a case and I'm gonna win this came from a friend of mine.

first of all get rid of all the i william ritter stuff. it makes the letter hard to read and nothing is more annoying to a professional than someone trying to write legal. make it simple and to the point, but with all the details you need. next the apartment had your correct address they should have made sure it was delivered to you. it is negligence on their part. next when they delivered it to the wrong apartment to someone who wasnt you thats a no no. thats federal law. you cant deliver mail to someone whos name isnt on it. when the person accepted it knowing it wasnt theirs thats larceny, a criminal crime. then when he threw it away it was conversion. he owes you for the item. the apartment is also liable for their negligence, but for them delivering it to the wrong apartment you would have your package. also it is trespass to chattel for the resident for depriving you of the item. so you need to tell the guy in the apartment he needs to pay. also the apartment needs to pick up some of the tab too. they can work that out between themselves. let them know you ar giving them a chance to settle this out of court. if not then you will to sue. if you sue, sue for the item. the shipping, the missed events because of this, time missed at work tracking and dealing with this issue, infliction of emotional distress, etc. there is a lot lol. you have a case and if i was there i would tear them a new . if this isnt resolved in a month let me know. ill be in the tyler area before school so ill run through and talk to them. if not hire that lawyer and start rolling. you will get your item, jeff needs to be fired, and the guy who signed for the item and took it, knowing it wasnt his, will go to jail and you will sue him. also let the guy in the apartment know that he is criminally liable for fraud and misrepresentation and that if he doesnt fix this he is going to jail. call the cops and let them know what happened. thatll make things roll.

2008-07-06 12:55 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
Good for you. Maybe you can get a whole new bike out of it now
2008-07-06 3:45 PM

User image

Tyler,

haha well I have another claim pending for a serious bike wreck I took back in April.

I have a lot going on now, but will pull through.

2008-07-06 3:53 PM
in reply to: #1510308

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
Your friend sounds like a law student (or more probably, a pre-law student). Be careful. When I was in law school, I thought I knew everything, too. There's just enough wrong with your friend's email to be dangerous. Don't be overreaching. The goal here is to get your wheel back or get a new one paid for. Threatening the guy with criminal prosecution is not going to be helpful.

Edited by Sharkboy 2008-07-06 3:53 PM
2008-07-06 4:37 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
^^^I agree--that's good advice. No one's going to go to jail over this, no one's going to award you thousands of dollars for emotional distress and lost wages. Just worry about getting your wheel back. If you try to turn this into a bigger issue than it is, people are going to start getting lawyers of their own involved, and it's going to get complicated, time consuming, and expensive for you.

Keep your eye on the ball.
2008-07-06 5:21 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Its most likely a negligence action at best... im not for sure about any criminal charges cause its really up to the prosecutor. Also, there are likely some sort of comparative negligence statutes in your state which will also put some of the liability on you. Basically, part of the fault of it not getting to you is from the address being wrong... so the liability is apportioned that way. Some states are different and have contributory negligence... and if you are negligent, in part, you cant recover at all. Im not sure what your state does. (most likely comparative though)

Best case is that you could just talk to the guy and get the wheel back. Say "hey.. if you have it, and give it back... no harm no foul." If he complies... perfect. If not, its definitely going to be lawyer time.

Did the apartment complex keep track of who they released the wheel to? Did they make someone sign for it? Do they normally hold packages for tenants?

2008-07-06 6:08 PM

User image

Tyler,

In response to rangersoh,

* I am after the amount that I paid for it. No, you can't get "rich" of this and have no interest in doing so.

* The main office was informed while still in their possession that the package was mine. 

* Resident should have returned package back to main office.

* Yes, I have talked to resident to be sure he really doesn't have it and he really says he threw the package into the trash.

2008-07-06 6:09 PM

User image

Tyler,

oh yeah I am not trying to prosecute anybody or use such terms in the claim letter.

Thanks. Train hard.

2008-07-07 1:50 PM

User image

Tyler,

Finally got a nice lady on the phone today and got an phone appt. in the morning with the local P.D.

2008-07-07 2:12 PM

User image

I really hope you get your disc back.  But my gut tells me this guy absolutely did not throw it out.  All he had to do was type in the word "Zipp" into any search engine and he realized he had gold. 

Like another poster mentioned, I think once you get the PD involved things tend to resolve relatively quickly.  I would have got them involved ASAP.

Good Luck.

2008-07-07 2:47 PM

User image

Tyler,
Ok so I called my apt manager...should have done this sooner rather than later..she was real compliant and understanding. I probably made it more complicated than it was, but now I gotta get in touch with FedEx, send a claim...and bingo!!!

2008-07-07 3:46 PM

Veteran
Man, I really feel for you for loosing that ZIPP disc. But could anyone imagine how stoked you would be taking out the trash late one night and see a ZIPP Disc just lying there in the dumpster!
2008-07-07 4:27 PM
in reply to: #1512443

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

triritter - 2008-07-07 3:47 PM Ok so I called my apt manager...should have done this sooner rather than later..she was real compliant and understanding. I probably made it more complicated than it was, but now I gotta get in touch with FedEx, send a claim...and bingo!!!
Not quite that easy.  Did the shipper add insurance? If not, you will only get a small, nominal amount (ups pays only $100)

Plus, it was delivered to the office right? Signed for?

2008-07-07 4:46 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC

While everyone seems to be on the OP's side for this unfortunate circumstance, let's try to remember, as people are being sued left, right and center he put the WRONG information as his address. What would the situation look like if it had been delivered somewhere other than a few doors down from his place? How can someone else be held accountable for his mistake? I would recommend that next time all information be checked before hitting the ENTER button. In the words of my dear old dad "We learn from our mistakes. Son, you must be one of the smartest people in the world by now."

*True to form, I had to edit because I spelled "smartest" wrong! :P

Edited by hazmaster 2008-07-07 4:48 PM
2008-07-07 4:57 PM
in reply to: #1512807

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

The original mistake was negated by the apartment manager's office grabbing the package.  The failure to hold the package/ensure it was not misdelivered when they knew about it is the issue at hand.

Questionable is that a brank new bike wheel was thrown away. 

hazmaster - 2008-07-07 5:46 PM

While everyone seems to be on the OP's side for this unfortunate circumstance, let's try to remember, as people are being sued left, right and center he put the WRONG information as his address. What would the situation look like if it had been delivered somewhere other than a few doors down from his place? How can someone else be held accountable for his mistake? I would recommend that next time all information be checked before hitting the ENTER button. In the words of my dear old dad "We learn from our mistakes. Son, you must be one of the smartest people in the world by now."

2008-07-07 5:25 PM
in reply to: #1512807

User image

Master
St. Louis
hazmaster - 2008-07-07 4:46 PM

It still had HIS NAME on it. I get mail all the time for the wrong address, I dont just throw it out because it was put into my mailbox. Not my name.. not my mail. It either gets hand delivered to the neighbor down the street, or put back in the mailbox to be delivered correctly.

Its also obvious that the guy who picked up the package did so intentionally... he knew it wasnt his, and he "threw it out" anyway. Seems awful ridiculous to me... considering it had the name of his neighbor on it.

2008-07-07 5:29 PM

User image

Tyler,

Main office were informed that I did put the wrong address while still in their possession at the time, shipper did have insurance on package.

2008-07-07 5:30 PM

User image

Tyler,
oh yeah uhhh I .....updated my PayPal info...2210 and 2710 can kinda run together.
2008-07-08 1:24 PM
in reply to: #1512883

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
ranger5oh - 2008-07-07 3:25 PM
hazmaster - 2008-07-07 4:46 PM

It still had HIS NAME on it. I get mail all the time for the wrong address, I dont just throw it out because it was put into my mailbox. Not my name.. not my mail. It either gets hand delivered to the neighbor down the street, or put back in the mailbox to be delivered correctly. Its also obvious that the guy who picked up the package did so intentionally... he knew it wasnt his, and he "threw it out" anyway. Seems awful ridiculous to me... considering it had the name of his neighbor on it.

Oh!! Here in Canada we use addresses for sending mail not names. Our posties are not as familliar with the people on their routes as yours must be. Putting a name on a package MUST clear up all wrong addresses! If something shows up on your doorstep with YOUR address on it, technically AND LEGALLY, it belongs to you. Look up "possession ='s 9/10th of the law". If you are putting it back into the mail system to the "planned" reciever, then you are just a nicer person than the dope that "tossed out" the disc. Way to go on gaining all those Karma points ranger. I am just trying to illustrate for everyone that was telling the OP to sue the other guy and the office, that he really doesn;t have a leg to stand on. You guys seem to sue everyone for anything down there!

Edited by hazmaster 2008-07-08 1:30 PM
2008-07-08 1:29 PM
in reply to: #1514895

User image

Champion
hazmaster - 2008-07-08 1:24 PM

Oh!! Here in Canada we use addresses for sending mail not names. Our posties are not as familliar with the people on their routes as yours must be. Putting a name on a package MUST clear up all wrong addresses! If something shows up on your doorstep with YOUR address on it, technically AND LEGALLY, it belongs to you. If you are putting it back into the mail system to the "planned" reciever, then you are just a nicer person than the dope that "tossed out" the disc. Way to go on gaining all those Karma points ranger. I am just trying to illustrate for everyone that was telling the OP to sue the other guy and the office, that he really doesn;t have a leg to stand on. You guys seem to sue everyone for anything down there!

I highlighted the part at which people should stop reading.  Different country, different laws.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Zipp's 2008 Disc Wheel (not your typical question) Rss Feed  

of 3