United States
Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 02m 24s
Overall Rank = 783/1300
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 19/26
Pre-race routine:

Stayed with Mike Kelly, which was much better than camping out in the thunderstorms. Got up at 4:15 stretch and eat the usual egg/cereal/orange. No tea though. Bike over to transition and set up. Because we were just a little late, I forgot to eat my Cliff bar before the start.
Event warmup:

bike ~ 1 mile in the dark over to transition. Very short jog around transition area. The bike ride was good. Look around for folks I knew but it was dark. Like really dark. (overcast as well as sun not up yet)
Swim
  • 36m 5s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was not keen on running along the shore to cut off 50 yards of the swim, so I waded in mid thigh water for about 20 yards before starting the swim. All the pros and lots of the age group folks did the run along the shore. - I think they ought to rope it off. That's not a swim. I relaxed right away, and was very happy to find my rythm right away. By feeling the roll from side to side breathing was easy. I sighted every 10 strokes, and 'saw' the bouy in my head in between and was able to swim very straight between bouys. I did catch a draft for a little while along the back of the course, but my rabbit kept veering way off to the side, so I dropped her. Because I started swimming rather than run I passed lots and lots of my wave. I think the fish out of the third wave passed me on the back stretch, and the fish from the fourth wave caught up just before the swim finish. I was able to swim my pace, easy and slippery, in spite of the chop and the folks around. Breathing and sighting were easy. I did stop in the latter part of the back stretch to defog my goggles - good move and didn't take long. What a difference in ease of sighting that makes. Note: Buy new goggles before major races.
What would you do differently?:

Either don't do this race again, or check out the bottom along the run part of the swim before the race. They tell me it's rocky. Get new goggles before A races.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

I was supprised by where the mount line was. And there was a crowd gathered at the mount line.

find the mount line before the race. have a plan. If there is a crowd, run past them to mount.
Bike
  • 3h 37m 46s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.43 mile/hr
Comments:

Being in the first age group wave, and being a slower rider I got passed by pretty much a continuous line of riders. Within about an hour the wind came up pretty hard and the rain started. As each group of riders would pass I would try to take advantage of the brief (sometimes very brief) draft they offered - still staying legal of course. It was amazing to me, especially late in the race, the number of riders riding in small peletons. I did try to ride at my pace, although not knowing if I was going to be able to run with my sprained ankle I pushed it a little just to make up for perhaps not running (mistake). I also pushed a little as the wind got stronger to take advantage of short draft opportunities. The steady streem of riders passing was at times a bit disheartening - at least to the first turn-around when I realized that there was also a very steady stream of riders behind me. Nutrition was pretty good, but I think I should have started a little earlier and followed more of a set schedule. I was shooting for about every hour or 45 minutes per gel. Because it was raining and cool I didn't drink as much, and perhaps was a little on the light side - but it didn't show up till later in the run. Overall the nutrition was very close to right on. I kept reminding myself to enjoy the ride and I did. The rain and conditions were quite cool, but never cold. I really enjoyed the scenery, especially with the rain and clouds. Got a chance to look at a lot of fast bikes too. (a very short chance). I like riding downhill fast. I did pass several folks on the downhills, although they mostly passed me again some time later. My climbs were pretty good - the Ruidoso rides probably paying off. Only the really faster riders passed me on the hills. I really enjoyed the ride. All the training in the wind we've been doing helped me not to be bothered by the wind. For me I think I had a pretty good pace. I was really happy with my downhills, and pretty happy with the rest of the ride

Ride more, learn to ride faster. Start the gels earlier, and follow a schedule. Ride more longer rides in preparation. Prepare myself mentally to be passed by 750 riders (no I'm not kidding - do the math)
Transition 2
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

I skipped my usual flying dismount to favor my sprained ankle. Found my rack pretty easy. Felt like it was a pretty quick transition. Had a little trouble with my run socks because the rain had wet them. I like the very short socks - they went on pretty well. The whole set up was good. Again there was a crowd at the dismount line

Flip my towel up to keep my run stuff dry(er). Walk through the whole T2 route before the race - to better know landmarks for finding the rack. Jog out of T2
Run
  • 2h 43m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I purposely took it easy at the start of the run. I sprained my ankle very bad one week before the race, and on race morning my foot was still quite brused. I was not sure if I would be able to run much at all I walked out of T1 with a gentleman of my age group, and he was having back problems and stopped to stretch at about 1/4 mile. That seemed like a good idea, and I stopped as well. Think that worked out well. I set my watch to beep every 5 minutes to accomplish a run4/walk1 strategy. I did take it relatively easy for the first three miles - babying my ankle. The first big hill is just after the three mile aide station and I ran up it. and started exerting a bit more effort. On the flat going out of the park I started noticing that my legs were quite tired. I didn't feel tired or out of breath, just the legs, especially the quads. I was able to run much of the first downhill into the next valley, but was not able to get my cadence up to really take advantage of the hill. Near the bottom my knees started hurting, and I walked the rest of the way down. Across the bottom was ok, and I ran up the other side. (not fast mind you). after about mile 4 I was not sure how far I had to go, but was just wanting to make it to the turn around, because then I could not quit, and all I had to do then is make it back. Out on the flats it got a little more fun. People passing were more friendly, and I made it a point to try to encourage everyone who passed me, and waved at the folks going the other way. I think at this point I was running mostly in the rear part of the pack and everyone was getting more tired, but also more sociable. The rest stops... um aide stations were awesome. There was water, and gatoraide, as well as Power Bar gels (the same as I use ) and bananna and orange - also coke at the later ones. I really wanted a lot to drink at each station and started eating bananna or gel at each station. As the miles passed I wanted more and more. That makes me wonder if perhaps my nutrition on the bike was a bit light. Also if because of the rain and cold my hydration on the bike was a bit light. Usually on a 50 mile bike ride I'll empty two water bottles, and this time I only emptied one. After the turn it seemed to get much easier for the next two and a half miles. At the down hill into the valley, I could not run down at all - legs were really tired, but mostly my knees were killing me to run down - so I walked. At the bottom I picked up the jog again - cannot really call it a run - and jogged and walked 4/1 across the flat in the bottom of the canyon. Walked and ran up the other side, with a big ol young fellow named Bill from Boulder. We visited and ran/walked up the hill and across into the park. My legs were really toast at this point and starting to hurt - especially the quads, but also calves. I had to walk the downhill into the park. Three miles out - aide station gel + coke + bananna. really hard to run, but kept the mostly 4/1 for the next 2.5 miles. At half a mile left to go one of the coaches passed us going the other way and suggested we finish the race running, so we did. I got my finishers medal and t-shirt and staggered off to stand in the lake for a little - grabbing bagle and a little wattermellon on the way. I could not believe how much my legs just hurt. The cold water helped. I pretty well executed my plan, just was much much slower than I had hoped. but not all that much slower than my longest training runs.

Drink a little more on the bike. Eat a little more on the bike (although I did six gels rather than the 4 I had planned on). Do not push so hard on the bike - don't eat the paste. Mentaly prepare to be passed by 700 racers. Learn to ride faster. Get a tri bike.
Don't sprain my ankle a week before the race?
Be sure to eat the cliff bar before the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Eat a little then stand in the cold lake for 10 minutes. Go find my friend Mike stand around and talk and eat a little. ~ 1mile bike ride back to his place. - I forgot to get my recovery drink till almost an hour after the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Conditioning and strength. Ability to run the hills. Nutrition?? Hydration?? I think I need to get a tri bike.

Event comments:

The volunteers were awesome. I saw one young man at an aide station chase a runner down to give him the drink he asked for _ I mean sprint out of the aide station to catch this runner. Lovely venue. I would rope off the shallows at the start of the swim if I were race director. If they don't and you want to be competitive you should preview this part of the course.

Last updated: 2007-10-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:05 | 2112 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 544/1300
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion
Course: out of bay, and big left hand loop around big orange bouys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:37:46 | 56 miles | 15.43 mile/hr
Overall: 789/1300
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Modified out and back, with some major hills. The rain made a great road quite slick in places. I had no problems, but quite a few rideers went down. The wind was really tough, but fortunately it was mostly against us on the way out, and mostly behind on the way back.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:43:18 | 13.1 miles | 12m 28s  min/mile
Overall: 819/1300
Performance: Below average
Course: out and back around part of the lake, up a hill out of the park,bakc down in the valley, up the hill on the farr side, then flat out to turn around and back in ~ ? ft of climb.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-03 10:56 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Subject: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3

2008-07-03 11:38 PM
in reply to: #1507862

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
Congratulations on a great race! One thing I was told when I first started cycling because I never drank more than one bottle on a ride was one bottle per hour is a good way to go. Just a thought

Keep up the good work. Happy Training!
2008-07-04 11:20 AM

User image

Melon Presser

CONGRATS!  I can't believe you did this race on a bum ankle. Your swim time is amazing btw (and the rest, too, despite everything ... you've been training like a monster and it shows).

Glad you appreciated the volunteers, that's good karma too.

2008-07-04 1:21 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Some tough conditions out there, a bum ankle, and yet you still knocked this out--that's pretty phenomenal, well done.  That breakfast the morning of can help stave off that hunger too--in a sense, what you got on the bike was the first food your body was processing, so that could account for major hunger later. 

Great job though! Hope the foot heals up fast!

2008-07-04 7:06 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
great job hanging in there is the bum ankle and competing! good luck the rest of your season.
2008-07-05 6:20 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Be proud you did a tough HIM on a sprained ankle in the rain!! whooop whoop you

You learned a lot and will be smarter racer in the future for it.

Drink and eat more on the bike but practice it in training~

2008-07-07 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Nice job!  Hope that ankle heals soon.
2008-07-07 10:11 AM

User image

Expert