Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2005-01-27 5:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Québec City
Subject: Tri Tattoo question...
Hi there !

I always wanted to have a tatto and my Girlfriend gave me on for X-mas. Now I am not able to decide what I'm gonna have tattoed on my body and where it will be. I've found a couple of good images representing the 3 disciplines of triathlon but I am not sure if it's a good Idea to have it forever... For instance, I used to do Mountaineering and climbing in the past and was very into it. At that time, I wanted to tatto a binder on my shoulder but it wouldn't represent me right now, as I quit climbing and mounaineering for different reasons... Later on, I MTB raced and wanted to have a MTB tire tread on my ankle... Now, I'm really into triathlon but I can't say wether or not I'll be into the thing in 5 or 10 years...

Anyone as got any advice on that issue ? What I would like to have on my body is something that says "Sports is my Way of life" or something like that. Something that wiil represent me forever... (that, I can swear it will...). I also know that I like to set up goals and work hard to reach them...

Any advice or tips ? For those who have tattoos, what are they ?

Thanks for your help !

Christian.

2005-01-27 5:47 PM
in reply to: #109279

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: Tri Tattoo question...
speaking as someone with three tattoos - try to find things that incorporate many things about you, not just one, or better yet - something that will inspire you or remind you of basic fundamentals that are always of import to you. for example, i love being outside, love the sunshine, etc. this has manifested itself in multiple hobbies, similar to yours - mountain biking, backpacking, hiking, bike commuting, sailing, etc. so, my first tattoo (at age 18) - the sun, on my right shoulder. the sun is always shining on me my other tattoos i had done when i was 21 and are of a bumblebee (a symbol of honesty, as well as dedicated focus, things i needed more of in my life at the time), and an ancient germanic symbol for my name (autumn). over the last 11 years, i've toyed with the idea of getting more, since i don't (often) regret the tattoos i have. if i had a sidi logo, bike chain, or cars are coffins image tattooed on my body, i would probably be regretting it now. since all your hobbies relate to being in the nature world and facing her challenges, i would go that route. just my 2 cents.
2005-01-27 6:00 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
My advice is to make sure it’s something that you REALLY want on your body forever. People that get ink done thinking “I can just get it removed with a laser later on if I don’t like it” really didn’t have much forethought. If that means drawing something on paper and waiting a year or so to see if you still like it, then so be it. What I wanted 5 years before I got my ink is nothing like what I ended up with. Also, keep in mind if you want future ink done. A small piece can sometimes be harder to incorporate with a larger piece.

Go to the bookstore and start flipping through tat magazines. See what the artists are doing, and figure out what you like/don’t like. Some folks come up with their own design, and some just go to an artist with an idea, and the tattooist draws up a few ideas.

Advice about tats in general:
Go to a quality artist. Talk to them first, and check out their portfolio (if they don’t have one, turn around and walk out the door). Find out how long they’ve been doing tattoos. Check out the cleanliness of the place, and make sure they are following all of the procedures regarding health (wearing gloves, not dipping from ink out of the stock bottle, using autoclaved needles, etc).

If they quote a price, don’t haggle. This is art, not a used car. If another place will do the same thing for cheaper, keep in mind that you get what you pay for. Be sure to tip the artist.

Follow all of the care instructions stringently. People really screw up their art by going sunbathing or hot tubbing right after getting ink done.

Good luck in your search for artwork! And post some pics when you get it.

Here’s a pic of my ink, though it's not tri-related: http://members.cox.net/strikeracing/elainetattoo.jpg
2005-01-27 6:06 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Have you done and Ironman Triathlon? I'm not a tattoo kind of man, but if I were,  I would get the IM logo in a dsicreet place like an ankle or calf. I saw one guy with the logo at the base of  the back of his neck. A little too "out there" for me, but an accomplishment worth celebrating with a tattoo, if that's what you're into. Post a pic, whatever you do. In fact, I think any BT'er with a tattoo ought to post it here!
2005-01-27 6:10 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego
I have toyed with this as well. I wanted a tattoo, but I thought I would wait until I finish my IM before I get it. Now I'm not sure if that is something I want on my body for the rest of my life.
Like Autumn said, I would suggest holding off on the tri tat and get something that represents your life as a whole.
My .02
2005-01-27 6:12 PM

Veteran
The Emerald City
I know someone with the Ironman logo tattoo on her ankle.  She IS an Ironman finisher.  I told her that if I had finished an Ironman, I would probably want to tattoo that logo on my forehead!  LOL!

2005-01-27 6:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Havent you answered your own question? "I am not sure if it's a good Idea to have it forever" Why get a tri tattoo? Why get any tattoo? Especially if it seems, no matter what it is, your feelings toward it may change in 3 5 10 years? No offense, and I certainly don't doubt your dedication to triathlon or anything else, but.......if youre already asking whether its a bad idea, well, its a bad idea.

If youre dead set on a tattoo, why not something that no one can take away from you. Like a Maple Leaf, since youre Candian, or fraternity letters? Why not a Bible verse you believe in. Maybe John 3:16 within an afro? Whatever you do, I certainly wouldnt get the girlfriend's name tattooed on me anywhere, but that's just me--I wouldnt get any tattoo.

Be forewarned though. I used to play hockey with a guy who had his daughter's name tattooed on his arm within a design. Like you, he thought that it was a permanent thing that identified him, bla bla bla. He loves his daughter, you cant take that away from him, but not even five years after the fact, he regretted getting the tattoo. So, even if its something "permanent," "unique to you" and will "represent you forever," you can still end up wishing you didnt get it.

2005-01-27 6:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakeland, Florida
I am sooo scared of needles, but I have always said when I complete a full IM I would get an "M DOT" on my lower calf. I will count on Gatoraide to get me through the first event and Jack Daniels to get me through the second.
2005-01-27 6:45 PM

User image

Veteran
manitoba, canada
I have one tattoo and would definately get another. When I finish my first tri, I will get a tri tattoo. My sister has a necklace with a tri pendant. It's 3 stick people doing the three sports. I love it, and will probably get that, just in black, on my ankle. I whole heartedly agree that a tattoo shouldn't be a fashion statement, cause you'll regret it. A tattoo with meaning is .. well, for a lack of better words, very meaningful. My tattoo is the old fashioned winnie-the-pooh. He's writing on a piece of paper with a quill pen. The expression that goes with the pooh picture is "my spelling is wobbly. It's good spelling, but it wobbles and the letters get in the wrong place". I write for a living, and the words remind me of the joy of what I do, that it's not about perfection, it's about JOY. And that translates to everything in my life. So, even though I may not be doing tri's for the rest of my life, I will want to mark the AMAZING transformation training has brought to my life. So my advice ... well, I have no advice, cause really, it's up to you Boy, that was helpful, eh???
2005-01-27 7:31 PM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
Although I do have one tatoo, I had it inked when I was 20 with my (now) wife’s pet name in a heart (in a very, very, very discreet area that not many have seen!) and I do regret it. Not necessarily getting a tatoo, but using a name that I never refer to her as anymore. It was cute then, but slightly annoying now. Saying that, I was thinking about getting another one after completing my first tri this season, but may just wait until I attempt an Ironman. That logo is so identifiable and it would certainly be a badge of honour to wear for the rest of my life. Sort of like someone in the sevice bearing the mark of his unit or service arm, Although I am not saying that a sporting event can be as life-changing as military service, but you get my point.I believe that tatoos that refer to or remind you of a significant event or a milestone in your life are not to be regretted. An event is a part of you forever, as is the ink celebrating it.
2005-01-27 9:35 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2005-01-27 11:08 PM

Pro
Helena, MT
Christian, if you have ANY doubts about the subject matter of your future tattoo, hold off.

I have two tattoos. And the subject matter of both is still very dear to me. One is water related.... a boat in a big wave. I'm a river runner, but more than that, I'm a hydrologist, a pisces, love to swim. I have link with water and with rivers. It's in my soul. The other is a descending dove, a biblical symbol for the holy spirit. I'm not extremely religious, but faith is a big part of my life. That tattoo keeps me grounded in my faith and reminds me....

I think you should check out some art books from the library of all different sorts and really see what speaks to you. Like Autumn said, be sure to pick something that represents WHO YOU ARE, not just what you do! Good luck!

2005-01-27 11:20 PM

Regular
SOBX, NC
2005-01-27 11:46 PM
in reply to: #109397

Pro
Helena, MT
LOL! Do you race in that sexy little speedo?
2005-01-28 5:37 AM

Veteran
Eagle River, Alaska
I agree with what everyone said. be careful what you get. make it meaningful in alot of ways to your life, and think long and hard on the design.

I only have one, footprints going across my foot, all in black.

Jamie
2005-01-28 5:37 AM

Veteran
Eagle River, Alaska
I agree with what everyone said. be careful what you get. make it meaningful in alot of ways to your life, and think long and hard on the design.

I only have one, footprints going across my foot, all in black.

Jamie

2005-01-28 7:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
there is (i don't know the word) non-permanent tatoo.
it lasts 5 years, and when it fades, if you miss it, you can renew it for another 5 years
my 2c
2005-01-28 8:22 AM

Extreme Veteran
Québec City
Thanks a lot for all the replies. It certainly will help me make my mind. That's a real pleasure reading your Tattoo stories...

An artist is supposed to draw for me a design integrating symbols of a swimmer, a runner and a cyclist. I'll let you know wether or not this is gonna be my tattoo (and show it eventualy....). If not, I guess I'll wait until something comes up very clear !

I only have done sprint and oly distances so far but 1/2 IM is my goal for next summer and eventualy, IM distance sometimes in the upcoming seasons. If I do finish an Ironman one day, I'll have the IM tattoo for sure, for all the reasons cited above.

Last october, I went to Kona with a friend who competed in the IM World Championship. What stunned me the most out there was the Spirit the week before and during the event (the "Spririt of Aloha" as they say...). This spirit was the trigger of me wanting to have something about triathlon. Not only for the sport, but for the lifestyle and "spirit" that comes with it. This was a moment and a feeling I wanted to never forget... I kind of recalled this feelling reading your posts... I'll probably work something out about it as the tattoo will allow me to recall this feeling forever...

Thanks again !

Christian.
2005-01-28 8:53 AM

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA

Like the other replies, i've told myself that i'd definately get th M-Dot tattoo somewhere on me if i ever complete complete an ironman. But the idea of a corporate logo tattoo'd on me seems a bit wierd. I love this wonderful thing called Advil, but i'd never consider tattooing it across my chest..

But that day is far from here, but if it ever does come, i'll probably get some symbol of my ironman/triathlon experiences, rather than a direct representation of the ironman (the M-Dot logo).

2005-01-28 9:04 AM
in reply to: #109294

Expert
Texarkana, TX

madcow - 2005-01-27 4:10 PM I have toyed with this as well. I wanted a tattoo, but I thought I would wait until I finish my IM before I get it. Now I'm not sure if that is something I want on my body for the rest of my life. Like Autumn said, I would suggest holding off on the tri tat and get something that represents your life as a whole. My .02

Don't you start wavering on me!

2005-01-28 9:37 AM
in reply to: #109475

molto veloce mama
redbullgt337 - 2005-01-28 7:53 AM
if it ever does come, i'll probably get some symbol of my ironman/triathlon experiences, rather than a direct representation of the ironman (the M-Dot logo).

i feel the same way. i wouldn't want the logo on me, but would probably do something to honor that accomplishment.

than again, i said i'd get tattoos after i gave birth my each of my children, and i have et to do that (mainly for health concerns). was up last night thinking about possible new tattoo ideas! maybe in the fall...

2005-01-28 9:52 AM
in reply to: #109292

Elite Veteran
flatland
PirateGirl - 2005-01-27 6:00 PM
Here’s a pic of my ink, though it's not tri-related: http://members.cox.net/strikeracing/elainetattoo.jpg

That is very nice work, pirategirl.
And excellent advice.
2005-01-28 10:02 AM
in reply to: #109292

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

That's nice, pg. How long did that take, if you don't mind me asking.

I've thought about getting a tat, but at my age it would be kind of pathetic.

2005-01-28 10:04 AM

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Let's see some art. More pictures like Pirate Girl's, please, no more like Daves

(needpics.gif)

Attachments
----------------
needpics.gif (41KB - 13 downloads)
2005-01-28 10:11 AM
in reply to: #109482

Elite
San Diego
Tiger Phil - 2005-01-28 6:04 AM

madcow - 2005-01-27 4:10 PM I have toyed with this as well. I wanted a tattoo, but I thought I would wait until I finish my IM before I get it. Now I'm not sure if that is something I want on my body for the rest of my life. Like Autumn said, I would suggest holding off on the tri tat and get something that represents your life as a whole. My .02

Don't you start wavering on me!

I haven't quite given up on the tat yet... When I was in Tempe I saw a tattoo place on Mill Ave I think. Only about 1 mile from the transition area. I am having a friend work on a design. I'm not sure if I want the M Dot...or maybe I'll get 2
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Tattoo question... Rss Feed  

of 3