General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running early in the AM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-01-29 5:30 AM
in reply to: #109610

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Running early in the AM
Morning person here, usually get up around 3:30 - 4 am drink coffee, listen to Siruis 22 watch news ect., fix wife and daughter's lunch, check the net then off to run/ride(not so much riding until day light savings time) by 5:30 then off to work(I teach high school) by 7:30. This works best for me since I feel like I get a better workout when I'm fresh than latter in the day after a work. Also since most races start early in the am it gets me used to going hard in the am.

2005-01-29 9:37 AM

New user
I like to run the dog at 5 and take it slow .the temps are about 16 .
2005-01-29 10:14 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I'm not much of a morning person and I'm a lousy runner. I have to stretch for 30 minutes before I run and I REFUSE to get up earlier than 5am. (after years of being a sleep deprived resident I feel I am entitled to the sleep now) I do better swimming in the am. I'm better at it and I just drive to the pool and jump in. I usually eat afterwards. I think I would have a lousy run if I tried in the am. Experiment and see what works for you. Maybe do the event that is easiest for you in the AM.
2005-01-29 11:46 AM

Regular
Huntsville, AL
I'm probably re-stating what everyone else has already said, but you sound similar to what I was doing last season. I would get my runs in after work, in fact most of my training was in the evening. This was nice, since sleep is always good, but I felt I missed too many training sessions or cut short due to lack of daylight, or other unexpected events. The result was thatI felt I wasn't fully prepared for my races last season.

This season, I have an ambitious race schedule with my 'A' race being a half-IM in Sept. And with my training hours increasing, AM workouts are a necessity. I guess if you're not a morning person, this is the "catch" with being a sexy, fit, athletic, endurance-machine called a triathlete.

Sorry to ramble, but to answer your thread;
I can't see any reason not to run in the early AM. It was tough for me at first, but after the first week, it became a habit. I can't think of a better way to start the day, and on your two-a-day..err days?, your day is half way over by the time you get to work. And if your lacking motivation, use whatever works that day. For me, sometimes it's as silly a thought as knowing none of my non-triathlete friends or co-workers are doing what I'm doing, but that leads me to thinking that my fellow triathlete buds are up and training, and that kicks in my competitive side b/c I can't have them beating me now!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running early in the AM Rss Feed  

of 2