2008-07-22 1:14 PM
in reply to: #1549098

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: How/Why was Lance so good?
Rollin' Thunder - 2008-07-22 11:03 AM

newleaf - 2008-07-22 3:39 AM

Can anyone recommend a good way to count laps in the pool?  I always seem to lose track.

I always count the days left on my 'roid cycle. That gets me through most workouts...

Mike

Why do I feel so bad for laughing.

2008-07-22 1:15 PM
in reply to: #1549089

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
Rollin' Thunder - 2008-07-22 10:00 AM

JohnnyKay - 2008-07-22 9:39 AM

aggiecatcher - 2008-07-22 12:37 PM

What is the motiviation?

Just that it's some people's opinion that he used them.  Sorry if it upsets you to hear those opinions.

Let's forgive aggiecatcher for possibly being a graduate of Texas A&M, but I think his point is valid. You cannot ignore evidence for innuendo. You are asking people to dismiss evidence for rumors and innuendo. Do you see the flaw in your logic here?

I can't speak for him, but I do get tired of this discussion because all the people who "feel he doped" rely on very, very circumstantial evidence. I am not an idiot, and even to me the evidence seems to begin to mount up. However, without the smoking gun, I will stick to my arguement that Lance was clean. He was tested again and again. It is too convenient of an arguement to claim that the drugs he was possibly using were undetectable. It is a weak at best claim that the people around him used.

JohnnyKay, you seem like a reasonable guy. Can you at least see the other side of the coin here?

Mike

I sincerely respect Daremo's advice, and have appreicated his input on this site since day one. However, the logic that LA's acheivements exceed possibility without doping is simply a conclusory statement...nothing more than an unfounded opinion. I'm a golf fan, and if you would have told me that Tiger Woods would have done what he has done, I would have laughed you out of my house. Sports is always about some one beating expectations and limits (i.e. 4 min mile, 10 sec 100, 61 homeruns...oops bad ex. ) Am I offended by people who have the opinion that LA doped? No. I'm interested in why people love to conclude he has done so based on what the public knows so far. Daremo seems like he knows more than the public at large, and I respect that. I'm a proud member of the innocent until proven guilty school of thought, and until his 7 yellow jerseys are taken away, I'll stick with innocent. It's pretty sad that we can't believe an athlete is clean anymore...in any sport for that matter.
2008-07-22 1:30 PM
in reply to: #1549389

User image

Master
South of SLC
BigDH - 2008-07-22 11:14 AM

Why do I feel so bad for laughing.

Really, it was tongue in cheek, but I guess some would find it offensive. I just wanted to bring levity to the discussion. You now know the extent of my knowledge regarding steroids. That and I guess it can be injected in a men's bathroom stall...

Mike

Edited by Rollin' Thunder 2008-07-22 1:31 PM
2008-07-22 1:30 PM
in reply to: #1546932

User image

Veteran
western iowa, almost nebraska.
Golf and cycling is not a fair comparison. Every golfer in the field has the "PHYSICAL ABILITY" to shoot birdies on every hole they play without question. It is not a question of what is physically possible with golf. With cycling it is, and we are seeing it with every tour that passes. When something seems to good to be true, it usually is.
I am a Lance fan and have watched Lance race since I raced at that same time in 90 91 92. He is has great talent, and I think one of the best mental games to ever enter the sport of cycling. His ability to control his situations and body and mind I don't think will be matched for a very long time.
HOWEVER there is a level that the human body can achieve, and a level the human body needs help to achieve. That is plain science.
2008-07-22 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1549473

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
trophytaker - 2008-07-22 11:30 AM

Golf and cycling is not a fair comparison. Every golfer in the field has the "PHYSICAL ABILITY" to shoot birdies on every hole they play without question. It is not a question of what is physically possible with golf. With cycling it is, and we are seeing it with every tour that passes. When something seems to good to be true, it usually is.
I am a Lance fan and have watched Lance race since I raced at that same time in 90 91 92. He is has great talent, and I think one of the best mental games to ever enter the sport of cycling. His ability to control his situations and body and mind I don't think will be matched for a very long time.
HOWEVER there is a level that the human body can achieve, and a level the human body needs help to achieve. That is plain science.

Funny...there are steroid rumors about Tiger too...golf's not that different. Every golfer does not have the same physical ability to do anything on a golf course, they all have different skill sets. It's just an analogy, but it addresses the theory that you just can't do that well legally.

I'm just curious, what is the level that a human body can acheive? At one point it was a 4 minute mile. With superior training, willingness to endure pain, genetics, mental toughness, technique, and other variables, what are the scientific limits to human performance in cycling? What about sprinting? Ben Johnson cheated, and his record was beaten by a clean athelete (then a dirty athlete, then a clean athlete again). Under your theory, record breakers likely cheat since they are besting everyone else. It's the same flawed theory for all sports...you just can't do that without cheating. If science can prove the limits of the human body in any sport, then I would love to read that report.

There are a select few who dominate IM's (i.e. Macca) are they all cheating? Is there a scientific limit to what a triathlete can physically do right now? Are we getting close to the limit of a Kona course record that can't physically be beaten?
2008-07-22 2:31 PM
in reply to: #1549473

User image

Champion
Butler

trophytaker - 2008-07-22 1:30 PM  HOWEVER there is a level that the human body can achieve, and a level the human body needs help to achieve. That is plain science.
I will have to respectfully disagree.  If that was the case explain Bob Beaman breaking the long jump WR in the 1968 olympics by almost 22inches?  Granted this one a one time thing, but IMO the human body can do great things.  Again, I am not saying LA never used anything but he has not been found guilty of, admited to or tested positive to anything and is still running pretty decent Marathon times with little training so why is it so far fetched to think he could not dominate the tdf with the training he put in.  Now could all his teammates have been using and in a way that assisted LA, definately.

It just sucks to be him and have to prove everyday you did nothing and have everyone say you did and they have no proof.  Last time I checked there was an innocent until proven guilty thing in the country.

2008-07-22 2:57 PM
in reply to: #1548263

User image

Veteran
Draper, Utah
Scout7 - 2008-07-22 7:54 AM

He's an all right marathoner.  No elite, that's for certain.

A 2:40 marathon makes him elite in my book.
2008-07-22 3:11 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Remember, the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing is an American right and part of our justice system.  Doesn't mean that the court of public opinion has any bearing on that right.

Without a doubt, LA had the work ethic, the attitude, the sole focus of accomplishing the Tour wins and the desire.  He set all his sights on that one race each year and all his training was strictly for that.  This obviously shows that he wanted it and no one will ever question his talent and abilities in that respect.  And he re-invented himself after recovering from cancer.  Before that he really could only be thought of as more of a one day or classics rider (a stage winner, not a stage racer) other than small potato stuff like the Tour DuPont.  And that was how he rode, get in a solid break, make a move, claim the day.  Exactly how he got his WC victory in the rain.

One of my favorite riders of all time was Marco Pantani.  And again, he is an admitted doper and ended up taking his life with an overdose of cocaine.  But that does not mean he was not amazing to watch and I will always consider him to be one of the best all time climbers in cycling history.  The guy simply flew up mountains.  And there was no way it was just "the drugs."

Lets look at the Tour since Lemond's wins in '89 and '90 (who I also question as to whether he was on something during those two years).  Indurain won 5 straight, no one knows for sure if anything illegal was done.  But then in '96 Riis won ..... he unseated Indurain from his 5 straight wins with no positive tests ...... but later admitted to using EPO specifically during the Tour.  Ullrich didn't test positive ..... he won the next year.  And now he's out of the sport after blood transfusions from Puerto and Riis and Zabel both were on that team and later admitted EPO.  Pantani wins in '98 ...... doped but not caught, later "retired" from the sport.  Armstrong ...... 7 wins in a row. Landis follows after LA retires, busted for syntheitc testosterone.  And then last year we have Contador.  Also a product of Bruyneel, also originally indicted in the Puerto investigation just like Ullrich, but never prosecuted for it.

Obviously LA has never tested positive.  But I have said this before in other threads on doping, the teams each have their own doctors.  And the testing looks for "abnormal" levels of synthetics or counts in the system ABOVE A CERTAIN STANDARD.  This standard is published and let know to the teams, the doctors and the riders.  It is a very simple procedure for the doctors an DS's to know just how much to give each of their athletes so that they hit below those levels.  And when you used to see positive doping tests, it was because the doctors screwed up or the athlete went above and beyond and outside their normal doctor's supervision.

Along with the list of names I gave earlier you only have to look at each year's results for the years that LA won and see who of that group in the top 5 is still racing legal and "clean" without having already been busted.  You will see that list is really really small ........ Also look at what happened with Ricco in this year's Tour.  He was taking a 3rd generation "boutique" version of EPO that is not synthesized in other animals systems but in human systems and it had just came out in January and supposedly there was no way to detect its use.  Think of it as the police radar and the radar detector.  When a better system comes out that is not detectable, they make something that will beat it.  Ricco f'ed up because he was told that the new version couldn't be detected yet.  Well, the French lab had beat him to the punch and had contacted the manufacturer so that they could figure out a way to detect it, and they nailed him as a result.

And as I also mentioned before, Andreu and others that were on the various teams with him have said (under oath in some cases) that they have heard and seen things that directly implicate LA with doping.  Yes, even though that other nutbag wrote books about it and put them out conveniently right at the time of the Tour to sell them, but it is not all slander and lies.  Every lie and deception has particles of truth.

What does all this mean???  Absolutely nothing since LA has vehemently denied ever using drugs for performance enhancing and he has never had a positive test (during the race .... only supposedly years later on a previous B sample ..... but we all know the French labs are out to get him, right?).  Regardless of whether he doped or not, the fact is that almost EVERY SINGLE PERSON around him or in the same "league" as him did and he still beat them.  Even if the entire front end of the peleton was doping including him, the fact is that he still beat them which means it goes right back to the second paragraph of this novel of a post ........ he had the desire and the sole focus to make the Tour his own.  And it was a bunch of fun races to follow, that's for sure.

Everyone needs to believe what they feel is right, and others opinions and conjectures should only give a person something to reflect on and evaluate themselves.  But I would just caution that it is not really prudent to take an all or nothing approach to any topic, especially one like this where the sides are "He's a God and could never do any wrong" versus "He's a lying cheating baztard."  I prefer to fall in the middle with "He was one of the better Tour riders in history, was a blast to watch compete and took advantage of the system in all ways possible to do what he needed to do to win."

Edited by Daremo 2008-07-22 3:17 PM
2008-07-22 3:20 PM
in reply to: #1549786

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

pbarlowtri - 2008-07-22 3:57 PM
Scout7 - 2008-07-22 7:54 AM He's an all right marathoner.  No elite, that's for certain.

That's like saying someone who can swim a 2:05 in the 200 is elite ...... yeah it's fast, but most collegiate athletes in a good program could do that.

2:40 won't even get you into running in the US Olympic qualifier ..... which is where I'd say an elite was.  But that's just my opinion.

2008-07-22 3:25 PM

Regular
SF Bay Area, CA

I think arguing/discussing whether or not LA used drugs it like talking politics.  Many people have already made their mind up one way or the other.  They post trying to vehemently defend their opinion.  Some people sit back and read to watch the battle.  However, there really is no right or wrong answer since there is no incontrovertable evidence, there has been no trial, etc.

Still fun to watch.Laughing

2008-07-22 3:36 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Do I admire Lance for his cycling achievements and charity work? YES, very much! (plus I like his "I am too cool for school" personailty )

Do I think he had the best team, a HUGE desire to win and be the very best, did some of the best training, has a fantastic physiology, etc and all his TdF wins were clean? yes and it might be possible

Do I also think there is a chance he did indeed took something to be able to compete in an era in which every single GC doped? it is a strong possibility

Whether he did or not will change my my admiration for him? most likley no.

Would I be willing to put my life on the line and state without a doubt that LA never doped? mmmm no...

in reply to: #1549873

User image

Runner
Daremo - 2008-07-22 4:20 PM

pbarlowtri - 2008-07-22 3:57 PM
Scout7 - 2008-07-22 7:54 AM He's an all right marathoner. No elite, that's for certain.

That's like saying someone who can swim a 2:05 in the 200 is elite ...... yeah it's fast, but most collegiate athletes in a good program could do that.

2:40 won't even get you into running in the US Olympic qualifier ..... which is where I'd say an elite was. But that's just my opinion.

Hence the reason I said it.

When he gets down below 2:10, then maybe. 

in reply to: #1549843

User image

Master
South of SLC
Daremo - 2008-07-22 1:11 PM

Everyone needs to believe what they feel is right, and others opinions and conjectures should only give a person something to reflect on and evaluate themselves.  But I would just caution that it is not really prudent to take an all or nothing approach to any topic, especially one like this where the sides are "He's a God and could never do any wrong" versus "He's a lying cheating baztard."  I prefer to fall in the middle with "He was one of the better Tour riders in history, was a blast to watch compete and took advantage of the system in all ways possible to do what he needed to do to win."

Rick,

That is a post with substance to be sure!

I am in the middle of the road as well. I do an extensive amount of work with a charity in Austin that receives funding from the LAF. The director of the charity has told me on several occasions that he is not that impressed with Lance's social skills and has seen him be an absolute jerk on some occasions. I am not a Lance defender, nor do I think he walks on water -- that is Michael Phelps' job.

My arguement throughout this thread has been to use some rules of logic and law to evaluate his guilt. I have stated the cirucmstantial evidence paints an ugly picture -- a point that you ram home with your post. But...the test results are what I hang my hat on. If he cheated the tests, then he cheated. It would not be the end of the world, but it would be a huge let down.

In the end, the only person who really knows is Lance. If he doped, I am sure he is at the same point OJ was during his murder trial -- so convinced of the lie that it becomes his truth. Either way, I will believe him until the day he comes clean.

Mike
2008-07-22 3:51 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

1) LA is genetically gifted. So are a lot of world class athletes

2) LA has an extremely high threshold for pain So do a lot of. . . 

3) LA approached his training from a highly scientific point of view. So do many....

4) LA is a very intelligent athlete. So are many. . . 

5) LA had the best coaching. So do many  . . . 

6) LA had substantial financial resources. So do many. . . . 

7) LA had all 1 - 7. So have some . . . . 

My question is this. Lance has countered drug accusations with saying: after what he went through with his cancer and survived, he'd be crazy to put any drugs into his body that could affect his health. But people often forget, or don't know, that during the course of his cancer treatment, his doctors LEGALLY gave him EPO to boost his red blood count to help his body fight his cancer. It seems he would have lost his fear of using that drug (if he ever had it). Avoiding testing positive for EPO? Please see 3, 4, 5 & 6 above. Just IMO.

2008-07-22 4:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
Rick knows cycling, and I don't necessarily dispute anything he says. Innocent until proven guilty is a basic tenant of due process (a legal deal), but it's also a key to a just society in my opinion. Even that theory fails at times (see wrongfully convicted deathrow inmates), and I only hope that I can be a better person by living that tenant more often than not.

If LA doped, then he did. Frankly, I admire his acheivements either way. Rick's evidence and argument is far more persuasive than "he was just too good," but its more a conviction for the sport being dirty than LA specifically. Maybe we will never know.

I still believe, and have seen from a lot of athletic endeavors in my life, that heart can play a huge factor. Heart, not just the muscle, has helped players play through broken legs, achieve amazing records, etc. Michael Jordan was clearly the best of his era...he jumped higher, dunked harder, and moved quicker than any one else, and was simply unstoppable. Was he just lucky to play before doping got huge? I bet people would say he was a doper today.

I tend to believe in the athlete first, then experience a bit of sadness when heroes fall.

Great discussion...lots of smart people around here for me to learn from.
2008-07-22 9:16 PM

Alabama
Rick,

Excellent post.

Brooks

2008-07-22 11:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carpinteria, Ca.
By far the best thread about LA and doping for sure.

I for one have no real input on either side of the issue, but do believe he was clean. I believe that because I want to believe that, because as I said I have no knowledge either way, and I like the hero to succeed. If he is guilty, then I am guilty of falling for the falacy.

I would never have given a rip about cycling or watching the TDF had it not been the allure of an American cancer survivor whipping arse in the sport, I bought my triathlon bike to get into tri's because I wanted to emulate Lance. Not that I have any talent compared to him, but because he motivated me to try something else that could bring out the competition in me.

Every time I hear about him possibly jumping into triathlon again I search all the major search engines for something official, I want to see him compete again. Kinda like MJ coming in and out of retirement, I just wanted to see him succeed, because to me both defined why I love sports. Because they can bring out the best in human nature, they are the closest thing most of us will ever experience similar to our ancestors struggle for survival, sports and competition are primal for me.

Also seeing an American kick arse in a sport dominated by Europeans was good for me, I bleed red, white, and blue and Lance gave me pride in my country. I spent six years in the military, but know that watching an American win in the TDF was almost as proud as my best moments in the service ouf my country.

In closing I just hope all this drug crap goes away, when everyone is on it the point is moot and the athletes are just effing up their bodies.

On a kind of similar but not so similar note I had the pleasure of running with a guy named Sean Swarner at the Vineman 70.3 last weekend, a two time cancer survivor, and the only cancer survivor to climb Everest. He had a damn torn hamstring and I couldn't keep up him with my back issues. He will be one of two human interest stories at Kona this year. His story gives me hope, and hope is what life is about, Sean atually said something that I really liked; the human body can live a week without food, 5 days without sleep, a few days without water, but not a minute without hope.

Stories like Lance and Sean Swarner give me a warm and fuzzy, a feeling that maybe most of my fellow humanites are not the Aholes they appear to be sometimes, and that one does not have to be born great, but that anyone can become great thru what they endure, and who the touch and inspire.

off my soap box
2008-07-23 11:51 AM

User image

Master
South of SLC
I would also invite everyone to read Tom Demmerly's post on the TdF forum on this same subject. It is too bad we got two threads going at the same time about the same subject. I think there has been some good discussion on both sides in both threads.

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How/Why was Lance so good? Rss Feed  

of 3