Anita Lion's Club
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 13m 37s
Overall Rank = 13/91
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/11
Pre-race routine:

We camped out at the park the night before. i forgot pajamas, a pillow, and a sleeping bag. spent the night covered in towels. less than fun.
Event warmup:

rode to the start from our campsite. got there very early, but got a great spot. walked/ran around a bit. swam a few laps in the water. splashed a dead fish out of the way of the course. awesome.

Swim
  • 15m 21s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

cannon went off and i started swimming. i sometimes have problems going out too fast since i have no reference point to see how fast i am going. the goal of this swim was to stretch it out and keep it nice and easy. no wetsuits, but that's okay with me.
had a couple people hang with me. one decided to take off while the other decided to swim just in front of me. that is just fine with me.

the way back seemed to take forever, but i just kept trying to keep it long and strong. got out in third i figured with a couple people right behind me (including one of my friends who is training for IMWI, he had an awesome swim!!!!)
06 = 16:45
08 = -1:24 - yippie!

What would you do differently?:

this was a good swim. i think i could have gone faster if i had put in more yardage in the pool this year, but i was pretty happy with it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

i forgot rubber bands at home, luckly some people at casey's had some ;)
06 = 02:23
08 = -0:58

nothing, almost shaved a minute from last time!
Bike
  • 1h 11m 55s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.73 mile/hr
Comments:

this course will make you appericate other courses you considered "hilly".

rocketed out of the park after climbing up the wall and then began one climb after another. i wanted to pick up the pace from last effort but with a hilly run i didn't want to explode on the bike and have nothing later. i was trying to keep my IMWI friend in view. he was injured this race, but he FLEW past me at the pigman half last summer. the plan was not to get too crazy on the first half and then kick it up a notch on the second. did a good job resisting the urge to climb out of the saddle and crank over the hills.

got to the turn around feeling pretty good. oh, the turn around is half way down a hill. you have to ride the brakes, do a 180°, then climb back up the hill you just came down. not fun.

then it was back over the hills to the park. i did start going a little harder including allowance out of the saddle. plus, this took some pressure off my back and it was hurting a little bit.
06 = 1:17:35
08 = -:05:37

race-wise? nothing. plan went pretty well and i didn't cook my legs. preparation-wise, bike more, maybe i should get up at 4 am....
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

decided to keep the shoes on since i had a short walk to the rack and there is a hill right before transistion. almost killed myself dismounting.

got back and my run gel flask leaked everywhere!!! NOOOOO!!! on my hat, race belt, and my shoes. wonderful. i had a spare on my bike so i grabbed that and became all stick putting on my other things.
06 = 1:27
08 = -:45

set my gel flask upright.
Run
  • 44m 16s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

this race is runner biased. yeah, i said it. short swim and evil, evil hills everywhere.

the plan was to take it easy for the first two miles and see how it goes from there. got up the wall (hill #1) and started on the south side of the course. got over hill#2, then #3 and then..#4?? i don't remember this one! and it's the biggest one of all! i swore out loud, so much for positive thinking. it had turned to positive swearing. i didn't see a dam on the other side of that hill, i think it is where people say "damn, that was a huge $%&@ing hill!!"

that hill completely took my mind out of the game. i don't have a very aggressive run to begin with and that hill just completely kicked me over to "just survive."

so i kept moving, a couple guys caught and passed me including the 3rd place in my ag (which i had no idea until the end). pulled myself up the wall one last time and started into the finish. didn't see anyone else close to me so i started high fiving people starting up the wall on the run. hammed it up for the crowd waiting and finished a lack-luster run.
06 = 46:50
08 = -2:34

attack! go! run faster! you can do it, just put on your big girl panties and go!!
Post race
Warm down:

walked back to see ironmitch finish. rode back to the campsite but then had to immeditely book it back because they were starting awards early. got a free bag in the raffle!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training time, lack of hills. but i did pretty well, smoked my time from two years ago. got some stuff to work on for next year.

Event comments:

this race is a challenge for many. lots and lots of hills. but the community is great, the pre-race pasta dinner is excellent, and everyone is in good spirits. completing this race will give you confidence for any other race that you do.

Last updated: 2008-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:21 | 1094 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 3/91
Performance: Good
Suit: tri-suit
Course: out and back swim. water mass start via cannon (yeah!)
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:25
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:55 | 24.85 miles | 20.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/91
Wind: None
Course: made entirely of hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:44:16 | 06.21 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 21/91
Performance: Below average
Course: see bike course description
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-03 5:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
Subject: Whaletown Triathlon

2008-08-03 8:10 PM
in reply to: #1578940

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Whaletown Triathlon
Great job Noz, looks like you had some fun.  Now find those big girl panties and get to work for the next race.
2008-08-04 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC
Great race, amigo!  Just think what'll happen when your strings achieve equilibrium with the course!
2008-08-06 1:58 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE
Great job... that's sounds like a mean course. 
2008-08-06 2:27 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I couldn't focus on what you wrote as I couldn't stop marvelling at your ability to imbed cool little images everywhere.

j/k.  Very nice job and improvements.  That's a pretty sweet time over a tough course!  Imagine what you could do if you really trained. 

And I see the RDs have a sense of humor you can appreciate with their bike turnaround placement.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Whaletown Triathlon Rss Feed