General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training an Eating Disorder? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-03 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ
Subject: Training an Eating Disorder?

I saw an ad in a local free sports magazine that says if you have 2 or more of the following traits, "Chances are high that you could be overexercising. For more information on over-exercising and other eating disorders and treatment options, please ... visit our website at Cleveland Clinic Eating Disorder Treatment"

• Do you feel guilty/anxious when you are not able to exercise for a day or a period of time?
  • Do you avoid other tasks, responsibilities, or social events in order to exercise?
  • Do you exercise even when you have an injury?
  • Are you preoccupied with food and what you eat so that you know how much exercise you need to do that day?

I'm sure we've all heard that we're crazy for the amount of training we do, but never from a professional!
I understand that they're trying to find the people who are obsessively dropping their weight through exercise, but I almost had to laugh when I read the characteristics. Just thought I'd share.

2005-02-03 3:18 PM
in reply to: #112188

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Subject: RE: Training an Eating Disorder?

It's funny that some topics (besides "I got a new bike" come up here again and again from time to time

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8126&posts=13

I do think, though that tri training differs significantly from "eating disorder exercise" in that the goal of tri training is to compete in an event whereas the eating disorder kind of exercise is the expression of a mental illness.

2005-02-03 3:28 PM

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ

That's 2 for 2 on me. Maybe I need to start reading the archives before posting anything... That does bring up an interesting interface/Ron question. If the site is made for beginners, then by definition topics will keep coming up... Do we keep talking about them every time, or is there a threshold whereat a topic should go into a "frequently discussed" forum?

If my luck hold then that suggestion has already been made

2005-02-03 3:36 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
*****hijack in progress**** Actually, I don't see anything wrong with significant topics coming up again and again. Particularly if some significant time has elapsed between the original post and the new one. Like you point out, this is a beginners forum, and I don't want to come across as one of the grouchy "read the FAQ" curmudgeons that inhabit some forums.****end Hijack**** However there are some good points about this topic raised in the previous thread, and it's worth reading.IMHO
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training an Eating Disorder? Rss Feed