General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st Tri - A DNF Discouragement Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-17 1:06 PM

New user

Subject: 1st Tri - A DNF Discouragement

I am coming to grips with the emotions of training for so long, just to have a DNF! I must say this is quite a learning experience (one I don't like).

Our swim was in the open water of Lake Ontario. I thought the water looked a little choppy, but I had NO idea !! After getting kicked in the face and hit several times in the start, I took in way to much water. My plan to "rest" a little was to do the backstroke and catch my breath. Every time I tried, I just got pounded by the swell; water up the nose and in the mouth.

I swam about half way and one of the ladies on the jet ski came over to offer assistance. I rested for a little bit and kept pushing until about 3/4. I was so motion sick, every time I lifted my head to breathe the sky was spinning. I totally started to lose my cookies. I had to get in a boat and take a ride in for a big DNF.

In all my preparation, I never swam in open water or with a wetsuit. I guess that was a huge mistake.

My wife keeps trying to give me the "you did awesome, you aren't a failure" pep talks. But, I must say that I don't feel that way. I feel like I should have just kept going, should have got off the boat and tried again.

It seems all the DNF's I read about here happened because of mechanical problems. Anyone else ever been sick like that in open water?

2008-08-17 1:27 PM
in reply to: #1608761

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
Subject: RE: 1st Tri - A DNF Discouragement
Totally sucks and you should be upset about it.  Best thing you can do is learn from it.  Like you said, you didn't practice with a wetsuit or in open water, so now you know you have to do those 2 things.  Take this as an opportunity to figure out where else you may need to improve and try another race.  My first was in a pool, so maybe do that your next time?
2008-08-17 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
tarnold - 2008-08-17 12:06 PM

In all my preparation, I never swam in open water or with a wetsuit. I guess that was a huge mistake.

It seems all the DNF's I read about here happened because of mechanical problems. Anyone else ever been sick like that in open water?

Yes, that was a mistake. Open water is much different than a pool, and wetsuits take a few swims to get used to. This is not quite the same, but similar to doing a tri after only training indoors on a treadmill and bike trainer.

However, DNFs from the swim happen all the time, especially in open water swims with rougher water. Keep training, learn from your mistakes and race again.

2008-08-17 2:27 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Dnf when you are motion sick, is absolutely the right thing to do.

Trying to HTFU and fight through it could lead to very bad things.

Your wife is right, you are not a failure when you DNF due to illness. People die swimming, not often, but it does happen. Dying when you could have easily prevented it by DNF is Failing.

Open water swimming is way different than pool swimming. You learned that. You learned that you need to practice in the wetsuit in open water. You learned you need to practice breathing in chop.

Go to the pool and have a friend or your wife swim in the same lane as you. After you have done your main workout, have that person make gentle contact with you with their elbow or hand, so you get used to contact and it doesnt freak you out next time.

And yes, I have an aquaintence that is an excellent swimmer. In the middle of his first Iron Man swim he had to DNF due to motion sickness. And this guy is a great swimmer, who has done a lot of ocean swims, and expected to finish in the top 1/3 of the Ironman swimmers.

Sometimes the chop is just enough to mess with your inner ear, but doesnt affect other swimmers. Sometimes, it doesnt bother you, but it does another swimmer.
2008-08-17 2:34 PM

User image

Regular
So now you know what could happen and next time you won't be surprised/freaked. My advice is to find another tri this next weekend and do it. Start way off to the left (if you are doing a counterclockwise swim) and maybe a little later than the main group and you will have a calm swim.

Don't think too much about it or dwell on it. Just get back on that horse. This stuff happens to everybody!!!
2008-08-17 3:10 PM

User image

My suggestion:

1. Find another tri and register. 

2. Swim in open water with a wetsuit a few times a week. 

3.  Do your second tri and have a whole new tri experience for the memory book!

If doing triathlons was easy, I doubt you would be doing them.  You want the challenge and you can do it!

2008-08-17 3:21 PM
in reply to: #1608814

User image

Expert
lake forest, California

I have an aquaintence that is an excellent swimmer. In the middle of his first Iron Man swim he had to DNF due to motion sickness. And this guy is a great swimmer, who has done a lot of ocean swims, and expected to finish in the top 1/3 of the Ironman swimmers. Sometimes the chop is just enough to mess with your inner ear, but doesnt affect other swimmers. Sometimes, it doesnt bother you, but it does another swimmer.

X2!!!! If motion sickness affected this guy it can affect anyone- Absolutely do not let this worry you! Work this one out of your head and train for the next race. By all means do a few OWS with the wetsuit, but chalk this one up to just an "off" day. You aren't the first one to experience this and you won't be the last.

Edited by jbjboc 2008-08-17 3:24 PM
2008-08-17 5:08 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Sorry to hear about your disappointing end to your first tri. That sounded like one rough swim!

I've seen this little thing in someone's signature...maybe it will help you feel a little better:

DFL > DNF > DNS

I like that! (DFL is dead f*** last, and DNS is did not start)
2008-08-17 5:53 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

First, you are not a loser. I am a total greenie to triathlon and have had my share of learning experiences this year.  You are correct, you should have tested OW and the wet suit several times before attempting the race, especially in something like Lake Ontario.  The good news is you learned something and will not make the mistake again.

I agree with one of the posters that you should find another tri and sign up for it.  I would also suggest OW swimming lessons if you can find them in your area.  There is something to learning how to site and breathe that is different from the pool.  I am now far better in the OW than the pool, but I attribute a lot of that to lessons, the wet suit and quite a bit of practice.

Chin up, you will nail it next time.

2008-08-17 5:57 PM

User image

Expert
Hatboro, PA
My belief is that anyone who races regularly will DNF at some point. Everything cannot go well all of the time. Just like everything cannot go wrong all of the time. Next time you will go out there and finish strong.
2008-08-17 6:26 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
Congrats to you for braving Lake Ontario.  I swim in there on a regular basis and it is CRAZY most of the time.  It took me a long time to be comfortable in the waves...it is so hard.  Just keep practicing...it pays off

2008-08-17 7:26 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Lots and lots of DNFs due to OW problems. Just keep reading the race reports.

Super job for doing all the training and starting the tri. You've gotten great advice on what to do next--now go get 'em, Tiger.

2008-08-17 7:33 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Do not feel bad about that DNF. That water was rough. The up and down was pretty intense. If you check the results, you'll see that people who post paces of 1:15 per 100 yards at races in the Finger Lakes had paces just barely under 2:00 per 100.

In a big lake like that the waves have no rhythm or steady direction. There's no tide so it's just random water movement. Waves can come at you 2 from the left, then there's a lull, then there's one from the right and two quick ones from the left. If you're not used to it, it can be very disorienting.  At least in the ocean you can get a sense of timing of when to breathe and sight.

Now obviously race day isn't the time to get exposed to open water swimming. Here's what you do: at Kershaw Park in Canandaigua, the local Masters club and Rochester Area Triathletes hold an open water swim practice every Friday evening in the summer. People start getting there around 5:30-ish. The course is great, it's between the regular swimming area and the "no boating" line and you can stand up at any point. Very nice group of people, too. Don't be afraid to introduce yourself and tell people it's your first time there.

As to other tri's in this area things are filling up, but you should do one if you can. Skinnyman in Skaneatelese might have some slots, that's a good Sprint distance race.

Amongst other things, triathlon is about overcoming setbacks.  Do not give up. This will just make crossing the finish line for the first time that much sweeter. 

2008-08-17 7:40 PM

User image

Expert
Harrisburg, PA
In case you didn't see my post, scroll down the threads page a little bit or click here...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

My first tri was OWS, sort of. It was in the local river which was p*ss warm and maybe 3.5-4 feet deep. You could stop and squat to sight or catch your breath. I didn't do an OWS prior to this because I was still struggling with the maxium distance of 25 yard sets in the pool. I was afraid to attempt an OWS in a nearby lake because I didn't know what I would do if my breathing would give out on my like it was doing after 25 yards. I only broke the barrier two weeks prior to the event. Finally having broken that barrier I am looking forward to a lake swim, but we don't have the choppy water of a Great Lake, so I guess you can what we have here ponds.

Learn from this and continue. Though I DNF'ed, I was prepared; I swam in the pool a couple of times prior, and I rode the bike leg twice (after having driven it two times). Admittedly I didn't try the run part prior to the event since it was a simple out and back. I was having faith I wouldn't get lost. I ended up running the course after the DNF just for the sake of doing it. I plan on doing this again next year.

As for the motion sickness, since you now will be doing some open water swims, preferably in similar conditions (temp., waves, friends in boats like the Clif Bar commercial on Youtube), and you will take Dramamine. You want to see how Dramamine will affect you in a race situation (will it sit well on an empty stomach if you eat little before an event which is what I do, will it affect your bike or run leg, etc.)

My first major event (other than a 5k, 10k, etc.) was a duathlon. Being an idiot I thought, how hard could it be, since there wasn't a swim involved for me. The bike leg was two loops for a total of 18 miles and included what I call The Hill. It was so steep we looked like we were pedaling in slow motion. I heard some peolpe just fell over and walked their bikes up. All of my training was done on generally flat courses. My immediate goal was to not walk my bike and not puke, which I did neither, but my calves were starting to talk to me somewhere on the ride. I was getting worried that my pace was going to be too much for my legs, but I somehow made it through. I swear I earned that t-shirt. On the run I felt repeatedly that I wasn't going to make it, but I did. That's about it-I made it. Kept getting passed the whole time.

Learn your event and train for all the characteristics of the event. If there's a lake swim, train in a lake. If the bike course has hills, train on hills, and preferably ride the course itself if possible. I try to throw some hills in my rides from now on. Then all you have to worry about are the $#@ %$#$% ^%$#$% *#$%@@$% mechanical problems.
2008-08-17 8:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN

Look at it this way....

You could have made it through the swim, got to the bike...then get a flat and not be able to fix it.  You would have still had a DNF.

Keep positive, sign up for a race soon, kill it, write a race report and sign up for another after that!  Keep it going!

2008-08-17 8:34 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua

I am so sorry for the water condition for you first tri.  It was rough and there was no timing anything.  Talk about the washing machine at the start.  Seemed to be worse then normal.  I've done numerous tris and that was the roughest start even without the waves.   I think everyone wanted to get out and get some breathing room. 

Emotion run high right now.  Give it a couple days.  Don't sell you bike yet.  Come down and hit the Finger Lakes for one.  Your training is still there.  If you can't make one I think there are some Fall duathlons in Rochester area.  The Black Diamond is October.  It's a trail ride and run and a lot of fun.   Try to make it to an OWS in Canandaigua.  Let me know if you can make it some time.  If the wetsuit was a rental I'll let ya borrow mine and even harrass you in the water.  Nothing like real conditions to train in.  Ask KenJ.  Sorry the dog will beat you.  We also swim in the early morning.  Like 6-7 am.  

You didn't fail.  Tri again!  Damn it!  

2008-08-17 9:00 PM
in reply to: #1608814

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

A little off topic, but I see this all the time but can't decipher it ...

What the heck does HTFU mean????

2008-08-17 9:02 PM
in reply to: #1609339

User image

Melon Presser
klowman - 2008-08-17 8:00 PM

Harden the **** up.

2008-08-17 9:04 PM

User image

Expert
My first tri, I DNFed about 50m into the swim. I thought I could push through 400 meters in open water, but open water was completely different than the pool (and I wasn't that strong in the pool anyway)

It happens, get over it. Have a laugh, and sign up for the next one. And then make sure to get at least one or two swims in open water before your next race.

Brian
2008-08-17 9:16 PM
in reply to: #1609344

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
TriAya - 2008-08-17 10:02 PM
klowman - 2008-08-17 8:00 PM

Harden the **** up.

Gotcha!

Thanks for enlightening me ... that is actually pretty hilarious and now makes many of the other posts I've read all that more enjoyable!

I don't think I've ever revealed this before, but years ago I was in the Army and I think everyone is familiar with the term ASAP (as soon as possible).  I once had this very memorable platoon sargeant who used his own very term (and he used it often) and instead of barking out orders and saying ASAP! he would always say "and HTFU scumbags!"

Just replace "harden" with "hurry" and there you have it.   I was trying to insert hurry the f#$% up in the original posts but it just didn't fit.

Thanks again for the info.

2008-08-17 9:20 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hey, that sucks. Sounds very disappointing.

I think a great lesson was learned here... for you and other newbies who are looking to do their first tri soon... getting in some open water training and in a wetsuit (if one will be worn in the race) is important! Very important! Swimming in a pool doesn't always translate to open water.

Sorry to hear about your DNF, but you can't let that get you down. Train in open water, go back and get your revenge!

2008-08-17 11:28 PM

New user

Wow...

Thanks everyone for your reply's!

So, here I am 14 hours later....a kickball game with the kids, a tennis game with some friends (w/way too many kill shots that went long) and a game of horse with some random kids on the basketball court (I was first out), a HUGE bowl of ice cream, and about 3 nice size vodka cocktails (both off the training diet, THANK YOU!), and a night of contemplating all the athletes I watched come in last place in the Olympics....

.....I must say, I am in a much more acceptable mind set!

Thanks too to all the local folks that recommended close solutions.

I have to figure out my training from here on out, having a 2 yr old and a WAY stressed out wife, I really have been only able to train during my lunch breaks, sometimes a 1/2 hour before work, and an occasional "Sunday blessing" from the Mrs. Canandaigua Friday evenings is out for this dad, it's "my turn" by that point. I must say, I squeezed every minute I could w/o getting a divorce, I was happy with what I did, I was convinced it was enough.

I may be looking to next year at this point......but hey, at least I got my lazy a** off the couch, I am much more fit, and for all you ladies...I must say, my biceps are much bigger!

Thanks all!

2008-08-18 12:20 AM

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
One additional suggestion to address motion sickness is to use swimmer's (ear) wax -- Speedo or TYR makes this -- or you can use your 2yr old's silly putty.  I'd urge you to put one more race in this year -- If you've been training for this past race, it shouldn't be hard to keep in shape and I think you'll be surprised at how much easier your next race is...By the way - your wife was right.
2008-08-18 12:58 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Hang in there! It's natural to feel disappointed but like everyone else said you made it further than millions of people who never start.

Definitely get back in the water and work on OWS and you will kick @#$ at your next event. Swimming is the hardest part for most people.
2008-08-18 1:24 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
If DNFing means you were a failure, then all the sacrifices your wife and kid made for you were for nothing.

There, that should fix THAT mindset!

Glad you feel better now. Ice cream and vodka are amazing therapists (when used in appropriate quantities, of course!).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st Tri - A DNF Discouragement Rss Feed  

of 2