General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for Docs or PT's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-18 10:21 AM

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
Subject: Question for Docs or PT's
How long is the recovery period for a knee replacement (on average, I realize everyone is different) to get back into full training?

Also, I read in one article that you are nott supposed to run or jump after having the knee replacement. I am wondering if they are telling me the obvious, ie. not immediately after the surgetry, or if they mean ever again.

Anyone on here had a knee replacement done? If so, could you shoot me a PM? I have the appointment tomorrow to find out exactly what they plan to do but my understanding is that this is a very real possibility and I want to be prepared with questions for the doc.

Thanks ahead of time,
Scott

2008-08-18 11:32 AM
in reply to: #1610362

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Question for Docs or PT's

As physical therapist I see my share of TKR's.  Most are in the elderly.  This is strating to turn around and younger people (45-65) are getting them.  Most the PT rehab goes on for 6 weeks but take about a year before most of them feel like it is their knee.  

Most Doc's say no running, kneeling or jumping on them for life.  There are bio implants and athletic knees that you should be able to run on.  They take longer to rehab as the bone needs to grow into the prothetic.   

You need to talk to the doctor who is doing the operation.  Make sure you give him all goals and desires.  Tell him want to return to full training.

2008-08-18 12:40 PM
in reply to: #1610608

User image

Fishers, IN

Hey man, I love to hear your voice.  I am a runner based on ease of training from a time perspective and just picked up on the tri.  I have two knees that have been worked on (20% meniscus from one and later 75% medial from the other), basically from I believe skiiing and other sports really screwed them up not running. Should I back off or hope science takes care of this?  I was a fat 236lbs person before all of the activity that has dropped me to 163ish.  I know you aren't a doctor, but you see a lot of people come through. 

2008-08-19 6:00 AM

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
Thanks for the comments. Have appointment today, will be asking lots of ??.
2008-08-19 8:10 AM
in reply to: #1610608

Expert
Southeast
dexter - 2008-08-18 12:32 PM

You need to talk to the doctor who is doing the operation. Make sure you give him all goals and desires. Tell him want to return to full training.

x10 

2008-08-19 12:55 PM

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
Just got back from first consult. Went better than I thought. Appears I don't need a new knee, yet, but may need ACL reconstruction. I am ok with this. This time I will be able to do my PT in it's entirity vice cutting it short and screwing myself up again. I go back Tuesday to sit down again and slate the date. Once again, thanks for all the input from everyone including the PM's.

Scott

2008-08-19 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1613840

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
A TKR is a last resort option for most MD's that know what they are doing. They will go the steroid shot, scope sx route first before they do a TKR. Focus on as much hamstring strengthening as you can before going into sx and make sure you go in to sx with full knee extension. If you are lacking 10 degrees pre-op, it will be much harder to gain full range post op. And your hamstrings perform the same function as your ACL, so the more strong and reactive you get them, the better off you are.

Did he discuss cadaver vs hamstring or ankle tendon graft?
2008-08-19 2:41 PM

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
Yes, suggested cadaver and said that the tunnels from my prior recon look good enough to use again. Obviously he won't be sure of that until he gets in and sees it but x-rays look good. He did voice to me the need to get my hammies as strong as possible. Also stated that he didn't find much, umm, play in it (I forget the word), oo, instability, thats it. Problem was that I automatically tense when he goes to move it so he said the only real way to know how much play there was is to knock me out.
Plan right now is to go talk to him next week, if we decide surgery he will check for instability when I am out, go in with the scope, see what he thinks and be ready to replace the ACL. MRI shows some fibers so I DO have an ACL, just a matter of what it looks like. Says he has a tendancy to listen to a patient that says their knee gives out over a hard to read MRI.
Wants to look at my ACL op report and talk to me on Tuesday. I just want to get a new one and rehab the correct way.
BTW, I do have some degeneration on the backside of my patella. He plans to look at that while in there if we do the surgery.

Side note. For those looking at a total knee replacement someday, as someone said before, they don't say you can't run again, they just suggest not doing it. He gave the example of a car. They all have shocks, but if you want the shocks to last longer, don't go extreme off roading.
2008-08-20 12:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
Most of the docs I know say never, ever, ever run again. But, I work for a region hospital thats not a sports specialty area or anything. So, I'm there are docs that say its ok to do. The hammies get more reactive when you don't have an ACL, so you will naturally guard against the translation. Its tough to get a true positive ACL test unless its a fresh injury. Good luck though man. Just go through the full rehab and realize it make take a bit longer since its your 2nd one. The races will still be there when you are ready for them.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for Docs or PT's Rss Feed