Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-09-01 5:25 AM
in reply to: #1640730

Pro
Andover
Subject: RE: I used to LOVE this place!
jsklarz - 2008-08-31 8:04 PM

I'm always happy to SBR with anyone as long as you dont mind doingh next to a slow fat guy.

Hey... I resemble that remark!!!

2008-09-01 7:08 AM
in reply to: #1640042

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,

Cappy - 2008-08-31 6:55 AM Over the past couple years things have slowed down--IMHO: some of that was due to "personality conflicts," as lame as that sounds, and I'd say some was due to a few of us training for/racing IMLP. As far as no group gatherings at races this year, I'd again say some of that has to do with IM commitments this year. Several of "the gang" did LP and some are training for FL and AZ. As a result, some are recovering, some have other "race specific" training races on the cal, and others are just starting up and not ready to commit to a race. As you can tell, we've started to pick things up around here over the last couple days. Honestly, it was a lot more fun around these parts a couple years back. Hopefully we can get that spirit kickin' in CT again! Rob
Cappy, I'd be interested in taking this offline and perhaps chatting about these "personal conflicts"  via PM (since I perceive I may be one of the involved individuals).   One of the problems over the last couple of years may in part stem from the nature of the communication medium here.  It is far too easy to write veiled, ambiguous comments in threads, inspires, etc that can be taken a certain way by certain readers and only causes escalation of issues and creation of issues perhaps when there are non-issues.   Some comments may be intended sarcastically or jokingly but it's just impossible to effectively communicate in such a way. 

I'd like to interject a slightly different opinion from my personal situation and persepctive.  What I've seen over the past year is a decreased emphasis on group get togethers / workouts to more of folks setting up personalized training plans and pursuing them, doing what they each individually need to do to reach their goals.  From my standpoint, balancing a 50-60 hour a week job, family, kids activities and fitting in training just doesn't leave much time to drive around the state anymore for group activities or spend as much time online cruising through non-informative forums and reading people's logs on a daily basis.  There's only so many hours in the day.  I've had to become efficient in my training.  It may be selfish but for my goals I need to get out early, do an efficient workout, get home and back to the family activities.    

2008-09-01 11:17 AM
in reply to: #1641282

Pro
Andover
CNIDog - 2008-09-01 8:08 AM

From my standpoint, balancing a 50-60 hour a week job, family, kids activities and fitting in training just doesn't leave much time to drive around the state anymore for group activities ...  I've had to become efficient in my training.  It may be selfish but for my goals I need to get out early, do an efficient workout, get home and back to the family activities. 

I don't think it's selfish at all. In fact, Rudy was asking why there aren't more group workouts and one of the comments I made was something to the effect of, "when someone plans a workout it's usualy with a goal in mind. And not everyone has the same goal/goals. Also, some of us were training for IMs and it's hard enough balancing your own schedule, never mind trying to get people together for 85-100 miles rides weekend after weekend."

In any event, I'm personally not upset if someone doesn't make a group workout--if someone plans something and people can go, great. But, as Aaron said, we all have busy lives and need to do what's best for our training and families.

That's my take...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I used to LOVE this place! Rss Feed  

of 2