of 2

2008-09-11 8:51 PM
in reply to: #1667407

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
Subject: RE: Transition from bike to run

thanks again.

i'll post tomorrow how the morning workout goes.   actually looking forward to it

2008-09-11 9:51 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Here are a couple of things you could try in practice and see if they help:

- stretch on the bike
-walk out of T2 for a block or two
- try a very short but quick pace on the run - go slow with fast legs quick feet

I also take a gel in the very last part of the bike on an olympic distance triathlon so I have energy on the run.

I also agree with easing up a bit on the bike.

Good luck!

2008-09-11 10:03 PM

User image

Tyler,
You could simply just need to improve your running instead of "bricks" by gradually increasing your running endurance.
2008-09-12 12:11 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida

ok, did a workout this morning and wanted to comment on how it went.

first off, i was a bit sore and tired from my ride yesterday.   i considered skipping my bike and run today all together, but i remembered my first Oly is next weekend and told myself to HTFU and do it!

i rode my trainer moderatly for 45 minutes and then threw on my sneakers and went for a run. first off, i couldn't really do the stretching like mentioned on my trainer because when i stop pedaling the tires stop, so i really coudn't do it like i would on the road.   so when i was i done riding i jumped off and put my sneakers on.   i then took 15 or so extra seconds and stretched my calves quickly.  i downed some shot blocks and GUO2 and took off.

i remembered the advice about short choppy-like steps and starting out that way.   it was amazing the difference that made in loosening up.   it took most of the stress off my thighs and hammy's and put it on my claves.   however, since i stretched my calves this worked out great.   i actually kept the short choopy strides for a good mile or so.

i ended up running for 45 at a decent modest pace.   when i finished i was tired, but not winded.   my legs fet great and i felt as though i could have ran another 45 minutes or more.

so i'm not sure if what i changed helped or if it was one of those great training days where you feel great.   regardless, the workout was awesome and gave me some confidence about my running.

my plan is to do another brick Monday and then another couple rides mixed in with some swims before i take it easy come next Thursday/Friday.   Sunday is my Oly.

thanks again for the advice. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition from bike to run Rss Feed  

of 2