General Discussion Race Reports! » 2008 Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2008 Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mount Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 25m 58s
Overall Rank = 195/197
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/23
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:15 a.m. Ate 2 bowls of Capt. Crunch and drank 2 cups of coffee. Went over my checklist, packed-up and left the house at 6:45 a.m. Gary and I had driven up the day before to pick up my race packet, so that allowed us to sleep in longer. We got to the site around 7:45 a.m.
Event warmup:

I jogged for a couple minutes and then stretched for several. I got in the water a couple different times to get used to the feel of the water.
Swim
  • 47m 45s
  • 925 yards
  • 05m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was really nervous about the swim. Gary was with me on the shoreline and he noticed my unusual broodiness. He said, "Honey, if you're dreading this and it's not fun for you, don't do it. If it is fun, go out there and have fun." That advice would help me later on.

It just seems to take me a few minutes to find a good groove. I was hoping that warming up beforehand would help but it didn't. I did the final and third wave of the Sprint race, all the females. By the time I just started to find my groove, the girls were many yards ahead of me.

A minute or so later, I heard splashing behind me and it was the men from the Mini (Oly) heading my way. "Crap!" I told myself. I knew there'd be no way I was going to swim fast enough to get out of their way without killing my groove and running completely out of breath, so I decided to just keep swimming and just kind of tread until they got out of my way.

I did consider (for 5 seconds) that it would be easy to just go ahead and quit. There would be many more waves of swimmers, plus the HIM competitors would be going around twice and I didn't know if I could handle the onslaught. Right after that, I got my groove back.

I was really worried about getting bumped and kicked to death going into this swim, but it wasn't that bad. A couple people even apologized. I said, "That's Okay, Sweetie."

Compared to my first race where I had the guidance of #22, I was completely on my own. That was really okay this time. I was ready for this.

I didn't even try to take the standard advice to "just swim to the next bouy." I was just enjoying the fact that I was swimming - really swimming - and that it was a pleasurable experience. I was just going to "have fun." Before I knew it, I was almost at the final turn before the turnback.

I thought this race was 900 yards, so that's for what I've been training. It has taken me about 45 minutes to do that distance, so when I got out of the water and looked at my HRM to see 46 minutes, I was pleased. I seriously thought it was like an hour. When I saw the results posted online, the racing company said it was a 750 meter swim. That saddens me that it took me that long with that distance, but - oh well.

What is great is that I wasn't worn out from this.
What would you do differently?:

Train even more beforehand so I'm faster!
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Wow. I didn't even use my towel to dry off. Wearing a tri suit was a major boon to my speediness as I wasn't soaking wet and didn't have to change clothes.

Not much, really.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 33s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 12.29 mile/hr
Comments:

That headwind was a beast. It was easily 20-30 mph. Later on that night, pretty much the whole state of Ohio's electricity would be out because of winds up to 70 mph. Mother Nature was giving us a taste of what was to come that morning. Thanks for the preview, Mother Nature!

Once I changed directions and the headwind was gone, I went much faster. I kept on getting passed by people doing the HIM. I saw no one from the Sprint. Why should I? I was the last one out of the swim and everyone else was probably done with the bike.

Unlike my last race, I passed no one - no one! Three people that passed me told me I was looking good and to keep up the good work, or something along those lines. That was really cool.

I absolutely HAVE to get a road bike. If I don't have one by my next race in April, I just won't do it. I know that getting better is all about time in the saddle, but it also makes sense that the less weight I have to carry around, the faster I can go.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

I was at the end right up against the fence. Somebody had left a big box of their stuff in the middle of the aisle in front of where I needed to rack my bike. With my area limited, I took extra care not to knock over somebody's bike, but I wasn't worried about stepping on this guy's towel or shoes. Get un-rude, buddy!

Again, having the tri suit helped soooo much. It was great not to have to change shorts.

Have a road bike so it's not so heavy. I also need to figure out what to do with my hair. It adds a few seconds to have to put it up in a ponytail and put a ballcap on over it.

Run
  • 33m 42s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

For coming in last, I'm pretty pleased with my run time against the others. I thought I was moving much slower, but my pace was pretty consistent with my training. I was very pleased that the swim and bike didn't wear me out enough to mess with my running pace.

I walked the last few feet of the grassy part and started the run again when I got back to the pavement.

As I was approaching the finish line, there were two guys in front of me who crossed it pretty much the same time. The announcer called their names. I was excited that that would happen for me. Throughout this whole race, you're just a number, a face in the crowd. To be called by name, above all places at the finish line, really helps personalize your accomplishment.

Get faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a bottle of water, ate half a banana and stretched a little bit. Instead of rushing out, Gary and I just hung out a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

While I've learned to swim sooo much better since my last tri, I need to work on speed. Not being faster really put me back there.

Not having a road bike, one that is specifically designed to be light-weight and for speed.

When I look at the results, if I could've just knocked a couple minutes off here or there, I would have done better.

Event comments:

Triathlons remind me of politics - in this regard. Once Election Night is over, the results are in and the winners and losers are declared, there's nothing left to do. It is what it is. But the next day, the campaign already begins for the next election.

Yesterday's race is what it is. I'm now looking to April, to my next race and to moving up in the rankings.

After my first race in June, I had this euphoria that lasted for a day or two. I didn't have that this time, nor did I expect to, really. Last time truly felt like a baptism of sorts. That can only happen once.

I also wasn't as worn out as my last one. It's probably because of all the training I've been doing. My body's more used to it now.

My goal heading into this was to come in under 2.5 hours. I did it.

So, 197 people started the race, but two DNF and never made it to the bike. So, the big question is did I come in dead last or did I come in third to last? I'm leaning towards the latter.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:45 | 925 yards | 05m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/23
Overall: 197/197
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: The swim was a rectangle, with the race starting in the middle of the long side, heading right, then making three lefts and finishing with a right turn heading into shore. There was somewhat of a current. Luckily, it was heading to the shore and not away from it, although it really was insignifiant - until the final turns. The waves got incredibly choppy and were pushing several people inside of the course, so we had to swim out to circle around the bouy. After that turn, the water calmed down.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:57
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:00:33 | 12.4 miles | 12.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/23
Overall: 186/197
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: This course was really smooth - and really flat. While I train on hills (I do live in "Hillsboro" afterall), the two at the end of this course were short but unexpectedly steep. As slowly as I was going up them on the bike, I was able to go just a little faster by walking a few seconds of them.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:42 | 03.11 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/23
Overall: 141/197
Course: We started out on pavement, moved to grass, then to a sidewalk crossing a dam, then back on to pavement, then turned around and headed back. Running on that grass was a pain. There were all of these little divits (I think that's a word), that kept on making my feet roll. My ankles were a little stressed toward the end because of that.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-14 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: 2008 Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek

2008-09-15 10:40 PM
in reply to: #1673184

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: 2008 Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek
Way to go!  You did it! Hey I remember on my OLY early this year, I thought I was going to have to drop out, or they would come get me, so do not worry about it, becasue you did not quit, you finished. It sounds to me like you are in a good place and are about to be in the mindset to "Compete, not just complete!"
2008-09-16 10:10 AM

User image

McLean, Virginia

I agree with the latter as well!  That was an awesome race report, I enjoyed reading it!  Do you really think it was 750 meters?  I just assumed the results were incorrect, or maybe that is what I want to assume

You did a great job, hope to catch you next year...I'll let you know how the Tri for Sight goes for me!

2008-09-16 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Good job Lora.  I hope you had fun.  Yes, you beat the two who did not finish.  Did you enter the Mt Bike comp?  If not you might as well enter that way in the future if that is what you are riding (it looks like a Mt. bike).

2008-09-16 11:38 AM

User image

New user

Cincinnati
I raced yesterday as well. Great result in that the wind was Brutal. Also consider, you have a much smaller group of mostly "hardcore" people running this late in the season ( The HFP Wheelie fun series is cheaper and ended last week). That plus the swim being 1000m, at least until the buoys got blown away, means you should be proud.

Cheers!

See you in April!
2008-09-16 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Ohio

Great Job out there triathlete! The swim was longer than the 750 yards the company said. It was closer to 1000. BTW, you may have been DFL amongst the FINISHERS, but you were not DFL among the athletes. You set a goal, you exceeded that goal, and that makes you a winner (that and the medal around your neck). I really like your attitude about triathlon, April is 1/2 a year away and you're already thinking about your next race. Keep up the positive attitude and the great training and you'll bring those times down and move on to longer distances. Well done on a great season!

On edit: After seeing your pics of the race I think I saw you on my first bike loop. I told you that you were looking good.

Edited by David tri's 2008-09-16 12:51 PM

2008-09-16 1:41 PM

User image

Regular
BA, Oklahoma

Awesome job!  Congrats on the finish, and way to stick with it through the swim, despite what your thoughts were telling you.  That is the true victory, overcoming your own doubts!

Again, good work!

(p.s. Gary:  Buy this woman a road bike for xmas for gosh sakes!!!!)

2008-09-17 1:44 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
I hear you on how the race seems easier the second time around. But good job on going faster (and longer!). That swim was huge! You probably could have gone an extra 100y to make it 1000, right?

Anyway, keep it up for next season.
2008-09-19 3:33 PM
in reply to: #1676337

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

jford2309 - 2008-09-15 11:40 PM Way to go!  You did it! Hey I remember on my OLY early this year, I thought I was going to have to drop out, or they would come get me, so do not worry about it, becasue you did not quit, you finished. It sounds to me like you are in a good place and are about to be in the mindset to "Compete, not just complete!"

Thanks, James.  That is exactly my attitude!  I've got 7 months to move on up!

2008-09-19 3:35 PM
in reply to: #1677020

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
zeetsvar - 2008-09-16 11:10 AM

I agree with the latter as well!  That was an awesome race report, I enjoyed reading it!  Do you really think it was 750 meters?  I just assumed the results were incorrect, or maybe that is what I want to assume

You did a great job, hope to catch you next year...I'll let you know how the Tri for Sight goes for me!

Thanks, Mario!  After thinking more about it, it does make sense to consider myself 195/197.  I've asked another competitor what he thought about the swim distance.  I'll let you know.  It sure felt like 900!  Definitely let me know how the Tri for Sight goes!  When is it?

2008-09-19 3:43 PM
in reply to: #1677145

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
DieuEtMonDroit - 2008-09-16 11:55 AM

Good job Lora.  I hope you had fun.  Yes, you beat the two who did not finish.  Did you enter the Mt Bike comp?  If not you might as well enter that way in the future if that is what you are riding (it looks like a Mt. bike).

Thanks for checking in, Thomas.  I had an absolute blast!  I love this stuff.  I will - I will - have a road bike before my next one in April.

2008-09-19 3:46 PM
in reply to: #1677287

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

daryth25 - 2008-09-16 12:38 PM I raced yesterday as well. Great result in that the wind was Brutal. Also consider, you have a much smaller group of mostly "hardcore" people running this late in the season ( The HFP Wheelie fun series is cheaper and ended last week). That plus the swim being 1000m, at least until the buoys got blown away, means you should be proud. Cheers! See you in April!

Hi, daryth!  I could tell immediately this was a very competitive race.  I'm completely proud and cannot WAIT until April.  I'll be looking for your RR.  You doing the Miami U tri, too?

2008-09-19 3:50 PM
in reply to: #1677551

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
David tri's - 2008-09-16 1:44 PM

Great Job out there triathlete! The swim was longer than the 750 yards the company said. It was closer to 1000. BTW, you may have been DFL amongst the FINISHERS, but you were not DFL among the athletes. You set a goal, you exceeded that goal, and that makes you a winner (that and the medal around your neck). I really like your attitude about triathlon, April is 1/2 a year away and you're already thinking about your next race. Keep up the positive attitude and the great training and you'll bring those times down and move on to longer distances. Well done on a great season!

On edit: After seeing your pics of the race I think I saw you on my first bike loop. I told you that you were looking good.

Awesome.  Thanks so much for your reply here and thanks for the encouragement along the bike.  It meant a lot to me that day!

2008-09-19 3:51 PM
in reply to: #1677795

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
toader - 2008-09-16 2:41 PM

Awesome job!  Congrats on the finish, and way to stick with it through the swim, despite what your thoughts were telling you.  That is the true victory, overcoming your own doubts!

Again, good work!

(p.s. Gary:  Buy this woman a road bike for xmas for gosh sakes!!!!)

Thanks, Todd!  Doubt overcoming does seem to be the biggest victory in these races.  Thanks again!

2008-09-19 3:53 PM
in reply to: #1680216

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

So Fresh So Clean - 2008-09-17 2:44 PM I hear you on how the race seems easier the second time around. But good job on going faster (and longer!). That swim was huge! You probably could have gone an extra 100y to make it 1000, right? Anyway, keep it up for next season.

Well, thank you, Greg.  I've appreciated your advice and encouragement along the way.  See ya over on our forum.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2008 Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek Rss Feed