General Discussion Triathlon Talk » RANT: (Irresponsible) Dog Owners Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2008-09-16 5:47 PM

User image

Centennial, CO
Subject: RANT: (Irresponsible) Dog Owners
Let me preface this by saying that I love dogs; I have two yellow labs of my own. But...

I was on my run this afternoon on the trail system that goes from my neighborhood, then through part of the state park system (Cherry Creek in CO). While inside the state park, I see a guy walking his good sized lab with no leash. The dog jaunts over to a lady who one way or another knows the guy and dog, and she pets it. The dog then starts walking back to the guy; and as I come running up, the dog turns and runs right at me. It was pretty obvious he was friendly, but it still required me to come to a complete stop and I actually almost tripped over it.

It was annoying, but that's not what bothered me the most about all of this. The lady kinda yelled over "sorry" and the guy just whistled for the dog to come back to him. That's when I yelled back "that's why the rules of the part are leashes on". The lady said nothing, but the guy yelled back, "whatever buddy, just keep running". I really wanted to turn around an get into with the guy -- the park rules are posted maybe 1/4 mile from where this happened. I mean come on; I'm responsible enough to control my dogs and follow the local rules when I have them with me. I know CO tends to be a dog friendly place, but what if I was on my bike, with my 2yr old, or wasn't comfortable with dogs!?

Am I really a bad guy for getting PO'd at this idiot?

2008-09-16 5:51 PM
in reply to: #1678378

User image

Expert
Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: RANT: (Irresponsible) Dog Owners
I don't think you're a bad guy and I hear ya.  I'm a dog lover as well and owners like this ruin it for the rest of us (much like cyclists who don't follow the rules of the road).  Do you carry a cell phone? Next time calls the non-emergency number for the cops and ask them to send a car down.  Maybe a nice, fat fine will make him remember the leash next time.  I'm sure there are other areas were the dogs are allowed off the leash he could go.
2008-09-16 6:28 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Yeah, you are totally out of line.  You didn't bother to determine that this guy is SPECIAL, and that the rules that apply to everyone else don't apply to him.  What were you thinking? 

I encounter this situation on just about every ride that I take that uses a trail between my town and the next one.  It's frustrating.  But so many people ignore the leash laws that, well, it's a big task trying to get all the leash-free dog walkers to care about anyone but themselves.  I usually yell to them to grab their dog when I am approaching if they haven't already done so.  Just the easiest way to deal with it.

2008-09-16 6:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts

The only thing worse is the retractable leashes with the micro thin leash line that you can only see as you trip over it since the dog and the owner are on opposite sides of the path.

Got to love those!! 

2008-09-16 6:38 PM
in reply to: #1678437

Champion
South Jersey

No, not at all. It was perfectly acceptable for you to give him a friendly reminder of the rules.

I was running at a park a few weeks ago and up ahead saw a young golden retriever off the leash. I knew that as soon as he saw me, he'd be coming to check me out. Of course the dog ran over and jumped right up on me. I was totally cool with it as I expected it and the dog was super cute. But, it really bothered me that the owner didn't even apologize. Maybe he was embarrased, but he just ran over to me, grabbed the dog, put the leash on and walked off. Not a word was said.

2008-09-16 6:58 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

I have this happen at least a few times a week. It really used to annoy me, but now I just slow down, get by the dog and continue running. The world is full of idiots who think the rules don't apply to them. It's just part of life. No sense getting worked up over it.

The ones that bother me more are loose dogs in a neighborhood where the owner is not around. On my bike I can always sprint and get past them, but on the run I have to stop and yell at the dog. I've got 4 dogs of my own so I have a fairly authoritative tone of voice that always gets the dog to back off, but it takes time out of a good workout.

2008-09-16 7:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

Definitely a defective owner.  I would have done the same thing.  Actually I did something similar once a few months ago, it was early on a Sunday morning and I was running in a neighborhood when TWO unrestrained dogs came charging at me.  Barking, snarling, the works, no person in sight.  I froze, and they stopped about one foot in front of me (edge of their property line), still growling and snapping.  The front door was open and I screamed some very choice words to whomever was inside.  What else can you do?

People must be getting lazier because I NEVER have had a dog problem until this year.  Now I get charged frequently by unrestrained dogs.  It's great fun. 

2008-09-16 7:48 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
I have few spots I run where the people let the dogs go off the leash and are inconsiderate about keeping them in check.  I often tell the owner that the dog catcher is around giving out tickets.  I have also encourage the dog to come with me. Had them follow me for a while.  Fun to watch the overweight owners run after us.  I have never gotten one home but some have followed a ways.  I think Sam the Dog enjoys the game.
2008-09-16 8:32 PM
in reply to: #1678559

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

dexter - 2008-09-16 7:48 PM I have few spots I run where the people let the dogs go off the leash and are inconsiderate about keeping them in check.  I often tell the owner that the dog catcher is around giving out tickets.  I have also encourage the dog to come with me. Had them follow me for a while.  Fun to watch the overweight owners run after us.  I have never gotten one home but some have followed a ways.  I think Sam the Dog enjoys the game.

Good one!

2008-09-16 8:37 PM
in reply to: #1678638

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
run joe run - 2008-09-16 8:32 PM

I have also encourage the dog to come with me. Had them follow me for a while. Fun to watch the overweight owners run after us.

Good one!

X2 ... classic! 

2008-09-16 10:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Valencia, Califonia
I love dogs but not when they are jumping on me clipped into peddles. I had one dog do this everyday as I rode by. Once he knocked me over. Thats when we did some "Dog Training".

Power-Mite

Considered: "Compact" Hot-Shot
Typical User: Dairy farmers, vets, hog producers, some cattle producers
Main Features: Compact size (6 1/4")
Great for close-in work
Product: Power-Mite Hot-Shot (Compact)
Description: The Power-Mite (PM) is the perfect hand-held prod for anyone doing close-in work. Makes a great second prod that easily fits into your pocket or optional leather holster.

(pm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
pm.jpg (4KB - 13 downloads)

2008-09-16 11:24 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
What you did was perfectly acceptable in my opinion. Riled me up and reminded me of these idiots that live in my neighborhood who NEVER have their dog on a leash. We just got a new foster about 3 weeks ago and I was taking her out on a walk the second day we had her. I got no vet records with this dog so for all I know it could have had rabies. While I was walking past these peoples' house ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE STREET their dog takes it upon himself to start barking at us and charging. Not snarling or anything so I wasn't afraid, but I was really annoyed because this is the second time we've received an unwelcome visit from this dog. Now I have my foster with me who's deathly afraid of anything that moves or makes a noise, so when this dog comes charging at us she starts trying to run away and biting at the leash frantically, basically doing flips and 360's in mid-air because I'm not letting her go. The idiots' dog sniffs our personal dog [not the foster] and almost pisses on her head. The owner by this time has arrived and laughs at this - NOT funny. Then once he's done treating my dog like a fire hydrant he trots over to investigate the foster and she goes ape-spit and snarls/bites him. The owner then did something that shocked me: laughed again! IDIOT LADY! UGH. Once she grabbed his collar I walked away as she was sitting there telling her dog that my dogs are "cute dogs," while completely neglecting any apology or acknowledging me in any way.

Then on another walk out on the gravel road near our house her numbskull sons are out on their dirt bikes sitting there chatting. When they decide they're ready to start riding again [this is 1/4 mile from the neighborhood on a gravel road next to fields] they cruise by us slowly, which I appreciated. Then one of the dorks sits there and blips the throttle, I presume to scare my dogs or spray gravel at us, because he kept looking back after each one. It doesn't surprise me that their family business went to pot and the father was sent to prison.

/rant

Edit: Added a necessary adverb.

Edited by Bripod 2008-09-16 11:25 PM
2008-09-16 11:31 PM
in reply to: #1678862

User image

Expert
Portland

avjetdale - 2008-09-16 11:58 PM I love dogs but not when they are jumping on me clipped into peddles. I had one dog do this everyday as I rode by. Once he knocked me over. Thats when we did some "Dog Training". Power-Mite Considered: "Compact" Hot-Shot Typical User: Dairy farmers, vets, hog producers, some cattle producers Main Features: Compact size (6 1/4" Great for close-in work Product: Power-Mite Hot-Shot (Compact) Description: The Power-Mite (PM) is the perfect hand-held prod for anyone doing close-in work. Makes a great second prod that easily fits into your pocket or optional leather holster.

That's a nifty gadget! I wonder if it would work on my wife.

2008-09-17 12:37 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Unfortunately, there will always be people that just don't care about others. Sad.
2008-09-17 2:18 AM

In many areas it's sort of unspoken that the leash laws are loosely enforced at best.  I like being able to let my dogs off leash in secluded areas even though it is usually against the rules.  That being said, I don't let them run up to people let alone knock them over.  Typically I try to put them on the leash as soon as another person or dog comes in view.  Of course my dogs are very well trained because dog training is one of my hobbies.  Unfortunately most people don't know jack about dog training and or proper dog etiquette and that tends to ruin it for the minority.  
2008-09-17 7:53 AM
in reply to: #1678521

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Nichole939 - 2008-09-16 8:21 PM

Definitely a defective owner.  I would have done the same thing.  Actually I did something similar once a few months ago, it was early on a Sunday morning and I was running in a neighborhood when TWO unrestrained dogs came charging at me.  Barking, snarling, the works, no person in sight.  I froze, and they stopped about one foot in front of me (edge of their property line), still growling and snapping.  The front door was open and I screamed some very choice words to whomever was inside.  What else can you do?

People must be getting lazier because I NEVER have had a dog problem until this year.  Now I get charged frequently by unrestrained dogs.  It's great fun. 

The bolded part above kind of caught me.  Those dogs were in their yard unrestrained because it's their yard.  Not seeing a problem with that situation.

But,  I agree that if you do not have a handle of your dog, you need to keep them on a taught leash at all times.  It kills me to see so many people struggling to handle their dogs on a leash.  The funny thing is that it's usually the small yappy dogs that are pulling at the leash and dragging the owner around. 

I walk my dog off-leash 90% of the time.  If I see someone or another dog that I don't recognize I tell her to sit and put the leash on.  It's completely unacceptable for my or another dog to approach another dog or person without "consent".    I do like the encourageing them to run with you thing.  That would be great!

2008-09-17 9:10 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
I run through CC Rez also and see this all the time.  What I don't understand is that there is a dog park at Cherry Creek Park so dog owners can let their dogs run off a leash in a designated area.  What's even worse, I live across the street from a school/park where it is clearly posted the dogs are NOT allowed.  I see people with dogs there all the time...walk right by the sign with their dog(s).  Then many of seem to think it's the responsiblity of someone else to clean-up their dog's poop!  I confronted one of these idiots once...needless to say he no longer brings his dog to the school but it's very uncomfortable when we both happen to be at the park at the same time with our kids.
2008-09-17 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
I agree that there are some very irresponsible owners.  I had a situation several months ago when I was riding my bike on a county road.  I was riding along and was suddenly surrounded by 5 barking dogs.  One of them managed to bite my left calf before I could get away from them.  Since it was out in the county, there was no law requiring the owners to restrain the dogs.  However, since I had been bitten, I did call the authorities (mainly to be sure the dogs weren't rabid).  I took the animal control guy back to the house with the dogs, but the owner wasn't there (the dogs nearly attacked the animal control guy too).  Once they were able to contact the owner we found out that the owner was out of town (but had left his dogs to run free) and that none of the dogs had received rabies shots!  They quaranteed the dogs for 10 days (they had to quarantee them all because I couldn't identify which one had bitten me).  Luckily, they weren't rabid - but I don't ride on that road anymore!
2008-09-17 9:23 AM
in reply to: #1678521

User image

Expert

It's possible there was an Invisible Fence. We let our dog roam our yard unrestrained, but he almost never crosses the invisible line. He has twice in two years. Once, he chased me over the line for fun, and he got shocked back into reality. The second time I was sledding and he was running, and we met in the middle. Classic case of irresistable force meeting immovable object. We both were knocked halfway unconcious (we hit head to head). He followed me over the line to lick my face, as I slowly slid to a stop. Yellow Labs are fun. Granted though, growling snapping dogs are not fun, no matter if they are not going to finish the charge or not.This will typically take care of that though: http://www.personalsecurityproductsonline.com/images/products/ESB17...
2008-09-17 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
I think you're clearly in the right, however, if you go through life letting little things like this you off to any great extent, you're going to spend most of your life being really pissed off. Your choice.
2008-09-17 10:37 AM

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
I was on a public trail a few months back and had a strange dog run up to me and nearly knock me over (very friendly...not growling or snarling).  In plain view was the owner talking on a cell phone and not paying attention...as I passed I yelled for her to get off her cell and pay attention to her dog, who was still chasing over me.  She just gave me a dirty look and kept talking. The problem I have, is as a child I was a victim of a very bad dog attack.  I love dogs...I love all animals...but I am not comfortable with a dog I don't know running up to me.

2008-09-17 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1679309

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
kagoscuba - 2008-09-17 10:23 AM

It's possible there was an Invisible Fence. We let our dog roam our yard unrestrained, but he almost never crosses the invisible line. He has twice in two years. Once, he chased me over the line for fun, and he got shocked back into reality. The second time I was sledding and he was running, and we met in the middle. Classic case of irresistable force meeting immovable object. We both were knocked halfway unconcious (we hit head to head). He followed me over the line to lick my face, as I slowly slid to a stop. Yellow Labs are fun. Granted though, growling snapping dogs are not fun, no matter if they are not going to finish the charge or not.This will typically take care of that though: http://www.personalsecurityproductsonline.com/images/products/ESB17_Expandable_Baton_Spring.jpg[/QUOTE]

It does sound a lot like an electric fence.  My dogs would go right to the edge - they obviously know the limits of where they will get shocked.  One of the signs my dog was getting dementia was when she broke the fence and wandered into the alley behind the house.  Then she stood there looking very confused, as in "How did I get here?".  After that happened twice (so I knew it wasn;t the battery dying on the collarunit), we never let her out without either a person or a leash.  Sadly a few months later she was too far gone and had to be put to sleep.

But a dog who is clearly agitated but remaining on property lines, while scary, is still in control. You would have to check with local authorities as to whether they can talk to or cite the owner. It's actually because I don't want my 90 pound dog barking his fool head off at the sidewalk edge that the fence line for us is limited to the back yard.

2008-09-17 11:42 AM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

I'm totally with ya dude. We walk our dogs at night. Otherwise we are constantly accosted by other peoples' leashless dogs.  My previous corgi was a bit dog-aggressive. My bad I suppose, for not spending way more time and training on the issue. However, I always walked him on a 6' leash as is required by city code and do my best to avoid problems.

Always always always, it was the roam-free dogs who would race across the park, or run across the street or come from 2 blocks down - and be right in his face. The owner would be yards away hollering "He's friendly!!!" at me. Nice. Mine would show his teeth, the other dog would charge, and I would have a dog fight on the end of my leash and having to kick their dog off my dog while hoping not to get bit. The owner rarely apologized, just glared at ME for minding my business 100 feet away! Nice relaxing walk - NOT!

I think it's the whole "my dog is my child" attitude. You're supposed to think everything their dog does is adorable and clever and they don't feel any need to control it in any way. Never mind that many people are afraid of dogs, and frankly very few people enjoy strange dogs running up to them and getting them muddy or slobbered on.  He's 'friendly' so you shouldn't mind tripping over him or getting knocked down or getting your own dog stitched up.

2008-09-17 3:11 PM
in reply to: #1678648

Poster Nutbag - 2008-09-16 8:37 PM
run joe run - 2008-09-16 8:32 PM

I have also encourage the dog to come with me. Had them follow me for a while. Fun to watch the overweight owners run after us.

Good one!

X2 ... classic! 

Watching non-skinny people run is comical?

Wow, I learn something new every day here.

2008-09-17 5:07 PM
in reply to: #1679809

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
ell-in-or - 2008-09-17 12:42 PM

I think it's the whole "my dog is my child" attitude. You're supposed to think everything their dog does is adorable and clever and they don't feel any need to control it in any way. Never mind that many people are afraid of dogs, and frankly very few people enjoy strange dogs running up to them and getting them muddy or slobbered on.  He's 'friendly' so you shouldn't mind tripping over him or getting knocked down or getting your own dog stitched up.

Actually, people like this have poorly behaved children as well.  The problem is not treating the dog like a surrogate child. The problem is NOT treating the dog like a surrogate child. Neither children nor dogs automatically are socially appropriate in their behaviors.  Both have to be trained to restrain their impulses for the the greater social good.  Neither should run up to strangers and get them dirty. Both CAN be trained, using the same basic ideas of behavioral modification (though generally not the same types of rewards and reinforcers - few children are motivated by pepperoni slices and fewer dogs are motivated by stickers).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » RANT: (Irresponsible) Dog Owners Rss Feed  

of 1