General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Having fun during a tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-09-26 9:21 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Having fun during a tri?
Always see this posts or replies, remember to have fun. Can't say I have fun during the entire event. Might try and keep it loose before the start, but not during the race.

During the OWS, after the mosh-pit start and/or getting through waves, sometimes if I get a good swim, I might think this is fun...until a wave catches me the mouth. Biking, OK, there are times I have "fun". If I'm at a nice flat section with scenery, I'll look around and appreciate the view. The run, no way I have fun. Blame my training, or just blame me, running is no fun. Trying to catch the runner in front of me or stay in front of another runner.

So basically, I train too hard to have fun. "Remember to look around and appreciate the view" would work. IMO.

2008-09-26 9:25 AM
in reply to: #1698291

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: RE: Having fun during a tri?

I can't remember who said it but I'm reminded of the quote

"It doesn't have to be FUN to be FUN."

2008-09-26 9:29 AM

User image

wow, intersting post. it is definitely giving me fod for thought with my morning coffee.

what is the meaning of fun, anyhow?

as for me, i feel that i have a lot of fun on the entire bike. i have fun during the first half of the run and the last mile. the swim is fun as soon as i can spot the finish. but none of this is the same kind of fun as drinking beer and watching the game or, say, skiing.

maybe "enjoyment" is more apropos. as in "enjoy your race this weekend".
2008-09-26 9:31 AM
in reply to: #1698319

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Joke with people in transitions to lighten things up.

Thank EVERY volunteer you see, even if they are just standing around.

Ham it up to the crowd.

Talk with competitors when you can to relax.

2008-09-26 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1698304

Champion
South Jersey
David tri's - 2008-09-26 10:25 AM

x2. I'm always having a good time out there....even when it's hour 13 of racing in a monsoon. It's all so much fun .

2008-09-26 9:35 AM
in reply to: #1698334

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

You certainly didn't look like you were having much fun on that second loop when Dan and I saw you .....

2008-09-26 9:39 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

Races are when you get to kick the tires on all the training you do.  Its a chance to test yourself, to reel in other folks on the run or bike (swim not so much for this guy).  Its a chance to know yer living a bit while somebody is sitting on a couch, a celebration of your own awesomeness.  How can that not be fun?

2008-09-26 9:44 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Someone was bound to say this... but why do you race if you don't enjoy it? I can't imagine voluntarily spending these vast amounts of time and money on something I didn't have fun doing.

There are a lot of people on this site who don't race anymore. They enjoy one or two of the sports and just stick to what they love. Or just like the people here despite not having raced in years.
2008-09-26 9:45 AM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

Absolutely. Any of my race pics show my face so screwed up with distaste and in pain, legs burning, lungs feel like they're about to explode, sprint to the finish so I can keel over and want to puke...I can think of only one other activity where I can have more fun with myself, and some days it's a toss-up.

2008-09-26 9:51 AM
in reply to: #1698344

Champion
South Jersey
Daremo - 2008-09-26 10:35 AM

You certainly didn't look like you were having much fun on that second loop when Dan and I saw you .....

Dude, I don't know what you are talking about. I was having a hoot out there...why do you think I remained on the course for so long? I was in no rush to end the fun. I think you were just jealous that you weren't able to join in on my fun.

2008-09-26 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX

I think I get what you're saying and you have a point. If you are really pushing yourself on race day, "fun" may not be the best word to describe it *while it is happening*. Cranking thru the swim trying to stay on course and avoid too much full contact; pushing the bike while trying to hold back just enough to not blow up your run, then pushing your legs and lungs to their max to finish it out strong on the run... Not exactly equivalent to a day at an amusement park!

As to the "why race" question - lots of reasons. First of all I do *enjoy* the feeling of pushing my body on race day and making all the training pay off, I just wouldn't categorize it as fun. The fun part for me is that wonderful feeling as you cross the finish line and realize that all your training paid off; and then enjoying trading stories with your friends, cheering other competitors on, etc. I also don't think I'd be able to keep up the level of fitness unless I had races to look forward to.

All that said, I think sometimes if a race isn't critical, why don't I just slow down a bit and enjoy the day more?

Interesting thread and discussion... 

2008-09-26 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I can't remember who said it but I'm reminded of the quote

x2

My first tri was fun. My second tri involved lots of intense, good training. On the course, it was not fun. When I was done and the endorphins (psychosis) kicked in, I realized how much fun I had. Not chasing butterflies fun, but working hard- challenging myself- accomplishing something that many never will- fun. I LOVE THIS SPORT AND IT IS A BLAST!

2008-09-26 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1698459

User image

nuttysami123 - 2008-09-26 9:14 AM

chasing butterflies fun

chasing butterfies? to each their own I guess
2008-09-26 11:00 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I always have fun. In my first half mary I was all asking one of the crowd why the elete was running the wrong way or "there really is a turn around down here somewhere right"? I always try to encourage people, especially if they are struggling. I usualy make some comment to someone passing me or who I am passing near the end say "woot looks like I will make it without walking." On my Oly I commented to a guy on the multiple lap course that I thought they moved the turnaround farther away this lap than it was last lap. We shall see how my spirits are on my first HIM, but I don't plan on changing anything. I doubt that my wife will ever understand. However, my 5 year old ran back from the buss stop instead of taking a ride in the car this week because he wants to be an Ironman like his dad. (Hopefully I will be an ironman some day also).

Prepare yourself, face that which you fear and enjoy the accomplishment of finishing a Tri of a distance or speed that tests your metal.

Folks ask my why do I do triathlons and I tell them, because I ran out of windmills to joust.

The day one stops striving, reaching, learning, searching, stretching, seeking to understand is the day he dies, not the day when his heart stops beating.
2008-09-26 11:05 AM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC

Mind you, I rarely have a race pic that doesn't make me look like I am having some SERIOUS problems in any race.

That being said, I do have fun.  Maybe it's because I'm so slow that I'm not fighting for an AG place and the fact that I have no problem with being DFL.  I cannot help but revel in the absurdity of what I am doing - what sane person goes and swims, bikes and runs all right in a row?

And what is more fun than doing something that a good chunk of the general public thinks is completely nuts?

2008-09-26 11:57 AM
in reply to: #1698654

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
BodyCheck - 2008-09-26 11:05 AM

And what is more fun than doing something that a good chunk of the general public thinks is completely nuts?

That pretty much sums up how I decide if something is worth doing.

Now I'm going to go pluck my nose hairs with a pair of needle nose pliers.

2008-09-26 12:16 PM

User image

Elite
I laugh out loud on occasion while racing when I think about how I voluntarily put myself through the pain, and in most cases pay good money for it!  But in the end I love the sport, and always come back for more.
2008-09-26 12:26 PM

User image

Regular
It´s fun when the race marshalls give you your own special mexican wave; when you think something just fell off your bike only to discover it.s someone with a football rattle cheering you on; it.s fun when the spectators give you a high five as you drag your way around the run; when the elite athletes who finished ages before you, cheer you on over the last few Km. Most of all it.s fun when you cross the finish line and know that you made it!

It.s also fun telling people that doing a triathlon is your idea of fun, yes, we,re all mad!
2008-09-26 12:34 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO

Um, yeah, if this weren't fun I'd find something else to do.  Sure, there will be painful moments but overall, I think back on races/events this season and I smile remembering how much fun I had.  Heck I was cackling out loud during my last big ride event when I looked at my computer and saw I was going over 40mph, how the heck can that not be fun? But everyone's definition of fun is different.  Some people like golf and to me I can't fathom how golf can be fun but I certainly wouldn't question the fact that they are having fun. 

2008-09-26 12:49 PM

Whether its a 5K race, a tri or a marathon, I go through a wide range of feelings during the race, but overall, I would describe it as fun.  Its the planning before race day, the nervousness and adreneline before you start, the friends you see at the start line, the feeling of finally getting moving and how good you feel at the start...

and then in the middle of the event that turns into wondering why I do it, why do I pay to do this to myself, can I just stop in the middle...

but by the end its that great feeling of accomplishment, especially if you hit a time target you trained for.  I may not look like I am smiling at the end, but I feel good in a way that I don't get in other aspects of my life.

I love the mental aspect of it as much as the physical.  I have a plan for those times when I know I might start fighting myself.

2008-09-26 1:05 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Yep, I definitely go through the range of emotions during the events--similiar to what you've described--but I guess it is just one's definition of having fun.  Sometimes I'm hurting beyond what I could imagine...yet, the moment I cross that finish line the memory of pain disappears and the whole race was fun.  Did it suck at moments--sure did--but that hard training I did to get through it and make it to the finish line, and the adrenaline (oh how do I love adrenaline) that pumps through my body while doing it---WOW, now that is fun.  It is even MORE fun, to me, when people encourage you, whether your first or last--so I do the same.  It's fun when you give thumbs up to volunteers and spectators and they cheer harder for you the next time you pass by (I have flaming red hair--it helps people remember me! Haha)...it's fun pointing at the kid with the water gun who wants to cool off competitors that ask and seeing the smile go across his face when you point at him and "ask for it."  It's fun slapping hi fives with kids along the route, cause maybe it'll encourage them to do it someday.  It's fun, when the it's all said and done, and you and your buddies have conquered the course (be it in first place or last place) to trade your "war stories" from the day.  It's fun to come into work, and when your friends and co-workers ask, well, what crazy distance did you do this weekend...and you tell them, and your reputation as nuts increases...

If I'm not having fun with it, I'm not doing it.  I have only quit two things in my life--two softball teams: 1st a competitive fastpitch team in the 8th grade and 2nd a NCAA Div 1 team my junior year of college--why?  Because I was training to hard to have fun, and even the games weren't fun anymore.  If it's not fun, it's not worth my effort.  Maybe my short term memory loss that allows me to forget the pain helps...  Anyhow, that's just my take on it...

2008-09-26 1:07 PM
in reply to: #1699038

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
TexasMPGal - 2008-09-26 2:05 PM

Yep, I definitely go through the range of emotions during the events--similiar to what you've described--but I guess it is just one's definition of having fun.  Sometimes I'm hurting beyond what I could imagine...yet, the moment I cross that finish line the memory of pain disappears and the whole race was fun.  Did it suck at moments--sure did--but that hard training I did to get through it and make it to the finish line, and the adrenaline (oh how do I love adrenaline) that pumps through my body while doing it---WOW, now that is fun.  It is even MORE fun, to me, when people encourage you, whether your first or last--so I do the same.  It's fun when you give thumbs up to volunteers and spectators and they cheer harder for you the next time you pass by (I have flaming red hair--it helps people remember me! Haha)...it's fun pointing at the kid with the water gun who wants to cool off competitors that ask and seeing the smile go across his face when you point at him and "ask for it."  It's fun slapping hi fives with kids along the route, cause maybe it'll encourage them to do it someday.  It's fun, when the it's all said and done, and you and your buddies have conquered the course (be it in first place or last place) to trade your "war stories" from the day.  It's fun to come into work, and when your friends and co-workers ask, well, what crazy distance did you do this weekend...and you tell them, and your reputation as nuts increases...

If I'm not having fun with it, I'm not doing it.  I have only quit two things in my life--two softball teams: 1st a competitive fastpitch team in the 8th grade and 2nd a NCAA Div 1 team my junior year of college--why?  Because I was training to hard to have fun, and even the games weren't fun anymore.  If it's not fun, it's not worth my effort.  Maybe my short term memory loss that allows me to forget the pain helps...  Anyhow, that's just my take on it...

X a gazillion. Except I only quit a league soccer team in HS and ballet. I can't dance. What can I say?

2008-09-26 1:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Competing is always fun.
2008-09-26 2:02 PM
in reply to: #1698324

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Daremo - 2008-09-26 10:31 AM

Joke with people in transitions to lighten things up.

Thank EVERY volunteer you see, even if they are just standing around.

Ham it up to the crowd.

Talk with competitors when you can to relax.

Good stuff. Here are some things I've done to keep it 'fun'. Bear in mind that I'm still very likely utterly miserable at the time, but that doesn't preclude one from having a good time.

• At an aid station, yell out "Ok, who's handing out the love?"
  • Have the little kid who's there with her parents dump a cup of water over your head
  • Yell to the elderly couple watching the race that you expect to see them racing next year
  • Say something encouraging to every person you pass and who passes you. This does not apply on the swim course.

You get the idea.

Working an aid station when the main pack is coming through can be very stressful and exhausting and it's surprising how few people do say "thank you".  I've always very much appreciated the ones that do.

2008-09-26 2:04 PM

Pro
I don't know who said it, but it was a high altitude mountain climber. He said, "I don't like climbing, I like having climbed". Racing hurts sometimes (just like training does, sometimes), but I never regret having trained or raced.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Having fun during a tri? Rss Feed  

of 2