General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Having fun during a tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-09-26 2:09 PM
in reply to: #1698378

User image

New Haven, CT
Subject: RE: Having fun during a tri?
Wave to the kids ringing the cow bell.  Joke with the guy who you are trading off being ahead of/behind in you race for 205th place.  Thank the kid handing you gatorade at the run turn.... I agree there is a difference between "fun" and "satisfaction", but what's weird is they can be one and the same. 

2008-09-26 2:47 PM
in reply to: #1698446

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
PLMsbr - 2008-09-26 8:08 AM

I think I get what you're saying and you have a point. If you are really pushing yourself on race day, "fun" may not be the best word to describe it *while it is happening*. Cranking thru the swim trying to stay on course and avoid too much full contact; pushing the bike while trying to hold back just enough to not blow up your run, then pushing your legs and lungs to their max to finish it out strong on the run... Not exactly equivalent to a day at an amusement park!

As to the "why race" question - lots of reasons. First of all I do *enjoy* the feeling of pushing my body on race day and making all the training pay off, I just wouldn't categorize it as fun. The fun part for me is that wonderful feeling as you cross the finish line and realize that all your training paid off; and then enjoying trading stories with your friends, cheering other competitors on, etc. I also don't think I'd be able to keep up the level of fitness unless I had races to look forward to.

All that said, I think sometimes if a race isn't critical, why don't I just slow down a bit and enjoy the day more?

Interesting thread and discussion... 

Big fat hairy "X2" to the bolded statement above. I get enjoyment out of the results of training and racing...most of the time in the middle of the activity, I'm working too hard to really call it "fun". But I'm definitely with Rick on thanking volunteers (sometimes I can tell from their reactions that I must be one of very few doing that) and I do like to ham it up a little sometimes or yell out stuff to fire up other competitors...doing that stuff actually inspires me...and I guess it is even a teeny bit "fun."
2008-09-26 3:01 PM
in reply to: #1698291

Regular
Huntington Beach, CA
I have fun saying "I'm a triathlete" before and after races... During the race the fun is in the challenge for me. I have never been the most coordinated person so I've always had a good time laughing at myself, especially when I'm trying something new. So mostly I have "funny" during tri's, for example:

1) Trying to find a discrete/graceful way of getting into the wetsuit (haven't found it yet) while my cheering section giggles at me.

2) Hearing/saying the prayers and profanity trying to get out-past/in-from the 4-5 foot breakers on the swim.

3) Running from the beach to T1 while peeling off the wetsuit just far enough that I'm not self-conscious about my tummy jiggle (which is ridiculous I know, no one cares)... then getting to the rack and seeing that I am one of the first from my wave out of the water (ok, that part's just fun).

4) Putting the bike helmet on backwards and riding a good 6-8 miles like that - thinking "everyone is smiling at me, what a friendly group of triathletes this is..." then taking a turn where my shadow shifted into view and noticing the vents on my helmet pointing forward...

5) Hearing 9 million people say "on your left;" almost taking out a cone, competitor and volunteer at a turn (this was only funny because the carnage was avoided and didn't impact anyone's race but my own); stumbling off the bike and getting back to T2 to finding that there are still 1 or 2 people still on their bikes after me (yea I'm not last!!!).

6) Feeling like an elephant on the run, but still managing to gracelessly move forward; watching my WONDERFUL mom take a bazillion photos at every turn (which are all going to turn out awful and never be printed or even downloaded) while screaming encouragement at me like a nut-job.

7) Finishing with what ever I have left; then changing into something that will still show my race numbers (because it makes me feel cool - regardless of the temperature); relaying whatever "stories" I can from the race while eating a huge cheesy omelet with no qualms (again that part is just fun).

Now so you all don't think I'm not a huge idiot ALL the time, this has happened over the course of my first three tri's, but it's been entertaining if nothing else. Durning a tri I have fun and take enjoyment in the little things, especially when it's at my expense. And there's nothing quite like the feeling of finishing and knowing that YOU DID IT!!!

2008-09-26 3:11 PM

User image

Fishers, IN

I think the fun (pleasure) comes from months of preparation, planning, and then giving it your best effort to carry out the plan.  It hurts while doing it, but oh the feeling of having carried it out.  It is why I enjoy the longer stuff.  It requires more time and preparation but for me provides a greater feeling of accomplishment. 

During the race, the look on my face may reflect a lot of pain but inside there is usually a greater amount of joy - hurts so good. 

When asked why do you hit yourself in the head with a hammer?    I usually reply, because it feels so good when I stop... 

2008-09-26 3:25 PM

User image

Expert
Computerland
I always find races fun. I haven't gotten to the level where I am going all-out during a race yet (maybe that is why my perspective is different), but I love doing triathlons. I love swimming in a nice lake, "blasting" my bike (is that the right word for someone really slow?) down hills, and running to the finish line. I also love the feeling of accomplishment I get afterwards. I think that feeling is the funnest part.
2008-09-26 3:46 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
My coach gives me 2 goals with my races...

1. Have Fun.
2. Finish.

The primary goal HAS to be fun because when I focus on enjoying myself while working hard, the miles fly by. When I focus on finishing, the race becomes a chore and I find myself wishing I were having fun.

So that's why during racing, I'm talking with other athletes, commenting on other cyclists fine buns while they cruise past me, and work to keep my spirits and the spirits of those around me up.

2008-09-26 6:13 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

For me its fun because I can do it.  

There was a time in my life when I thought I might not be able to do this becasue of health issues.  So the fact that I'm racing triathlons, and recently became an Ironman, is just so cool. I enjoy pushing my self physically and mentally and love the rush when you finally cross the finish line.    I always find people to talk to before races, I thank the volunteers, wave to the crowds and high five little kids along the run.  I try to have a great time even when I'm hurtin bad.  At IMWI I was lapped by the leader going up a hill.  The crowd was going wild and as the guy flew past me I began to ham it up for the crowd, thanking them for cheering "for me".  which after my performance, they were.  When people ask me about my IM experince I say it was AMAZING and FUN.  And believe me, I was definitely NOT feeling good by the run (tummy troubles big time) but the overall experience of the race and feelings after are what it is all about.

When I stop saying I had fun, it will be time to stop racing.

2008-09-26 7:36 PM

User image

Regular
BA, Oklahoma
Having fun is one of my main goals on my first tri.  It's kind of sad though, because my wife nor family will be able to attend.  It will just be me out there.  Any of you guys wanna come cheer me on and take some pictures?!?  Cool
2008-09-26 9:02 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

I don't think that there is anyone on BT that can say that I don't have fun when I race. Unless you are trying to make a living at this sport why NOT have fun. Interestingly enough, when you're having fun and relaxing while you race you might find that PR's come anyway.

I cannot think of a race that I didn't have a blast in. Hell, at IMKY I had to walk most of the run with GI issues and visited seventeen porta johns and I'm still joking around with the volunteers and smiling in every picture. (I would have been doing the same thing if everything went as planned and I was in the top 20!) I was leading a sprint race this year and only had the pace car in front of me on a long strait away when I saw a train coming, at 30 mph I reached up and gave the HONK sign to make the train blow his horn! That was great!

This is all about having fun and doing this for a long time. If you take this too serious, it will burn you out.

I think the best advice is to HAVE FUN and FINISH!!

2008-09-26 10:04 PM
in reply to: #1699243

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
marmadaddy - 2008-09-26 2:02 PM

Daremo - 2008-09-26 10:31 AM

Joke with people in transitions to lighten things up.

Thank EVERY volunteer you see, even if they are just standing around.

Ham it up to the crowd.

Talk with competitors when you can to relax.

Good stuff. Here are some things I've done to keep it 'fun'. Bear in mind that I'm still very likely utterly miserable at the time, but that doesn't preclude one from having a good time.

• At an aid station, yell out "Ok, who's handing out the love?"
  • Have the little kid who's there with her parents dump a cup of water over your head
  • Yell to the elderly couple watching the race that you expect to see them racing next year
  • Say something encouraging to every person you pass and who passes you. This does not apply on the swim course.

You get the idea.

Working an aid station when the main pack is coming through can be very stressful and exhausting and it's surprising how few people do say "thank you". I've always very much appreciated the ones that do.

HA! In my Ironman... on the swim course... I popped my head up on a turn, turned to someone in a kayak and started joking with them about how crowded it was and how everyone needed to get out of my way!
2008-09-27 6:43 AM
in reply to: #1698319

User image

Master
djluscher - 2008-09-26 10:29 AM

wow, intersting post. it is definitely giving me fod for thought with my morning coffee.

what is the meaning of fun, anyhow?

as for me, i feel that i have a lot of fun on the entire bike. i have fun during the first half of the run and the last mile. the swim is fun as soon as i can spot the finish. but none of this is the same kind of fun as drinking beer and watching the game or, say, skiing.

maybe "enjoyment" is more apropos. as in "enjoy your race this weekend".

This summarizes my outlook nicely. I enjoy training, but I LOVE race day: the early alarm, driving in the dark, setting up transitions, checklists, the post race, watching everyone finish, the announcer, celebrating later. While painful, it's fun to learn how hard I can push in the race.

2008-09-27 8:13 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
I love racing.  I don't care if I'm thinking it's fun or not during the race, I just love racing.
2008-09-27 8:17 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

There is no place for fun when you're racing! Seriously, I am NOT having fun!!

2008-09-27 12:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

I love racing!  Here are some of the things that make it fun for me:

-the early-morning craziness of 100s of triathletes, up before dark, to get out and do something the majority of people would never even dream of

-to be able to see all different shapes and sizes of people pushing themselves to the limit-you can see where you came from and where you are going

-to be grateful that I can even do this and to call myself an athlete

-the thrill of running across the line and knowing you did your best and pushed your hardest.

Did I remember to say how much I love racing?

2008-09-27 12:51 PM

User image

Tyler,

if your not having fun triathlon isn't the sport for you.

2008-09-27 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
What could be more fun than doing a tri?
Each race is an adventure and a journey with so much to learn and experience. In my experience triathletes are such incredibly positive people, than getting a group of them together just creates a vibe. Then you take that vibe and take in the specticle going on around you. Swimming with 2200 other nut cases then looking down below you and seeing a ray gliding by oblivious to the choas going on 10 feet above. Coming out of the water and finding yourself next to one of the countries best hockey players (Pat Lafontaine). Getting on a bike and being paced by a brown pelican, watching an Ospery swoop in and grab a fish as you hammer down the course. Flying down a hill chasing that hot blonde in front of you and seeing 44 mph on the computer. The feeling on the run when you are getting stronger when every one around you is struggling, watching the reaction of people as you turn the corner and see that monster hill and hear the "colorfull" comments at IM70.3 RI. Running past the awesome fans partying on Alli drive. Encouraging and picking up your fellow triathletes when they need it, because you know they will do the same for you. Cheering on (and being cheered on by in Natsha's case) Natsha Badman, Chrissy Wellington, Andy Potts, Julie Ertel-Swail, and so many other amazing people like Scott Rigsby, Sister Madonna Buder, Frank Farrar who just make you proud to share the same stretch of asphalt. And let me tell you hearing Mike Riley saying your name after 140.6 miles is fun.
I have gotten my butt kicked on the swim, had to walk on the bike, reduced to a shuffle on the run, but the thrill of the race and the chance to discover limits are made to be broken always makes this sport fun and kept a smile on my face.
Triathlon the most fun you can have with a Speedo on!

2008-09-27 5:00 PM
in reply to: #1700845

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

southwestmba - 2008-09-27 2:35 PM What could be more fun than doing a tri? Each race is an adventure and a journey with so much to learn and experience. In my experience triathletes are such incredibly positive people, than getting a group of them together just creates a vibe. Then you take that vibe and take in the specticle going on around you. Swimming with 2200 other nut cases then looking down below you and seeing a ray gliding by oblivious to the choas going on 10 feet above. Coming out of the water and finding yourself next to one of the countries best hockey players (Pat Lafontaine). Getting on a bike and being paced by a brown pelican, watching an Ospery swoop in and grab a fish as you hammer down the course. Flying down a hill chasing that hot blonde in front of you and seeing 44 mph on the computer. The feeling on the run when you are getting stronger when every one around you is struggling, watching the reaction of people as you turn the corner and see that monster hill and hear the "colorfull" comments at IM70.3 RI. Running past the awesome fans partying on Alli drive. Encouraging and picking up your fellow triathletes when they need it, because you know they will do the same for you. Cheering on (and being cheered on by in Natsha's case) Natsha Badman, Chrissy Wellington, Andy Potts, Julie Ertel-Swail, and so many other amazing people like Scott Rigsby, Sister Madonna Buder, Frank Farrar who just make you proud to share the same stretch of asphalt. And let me tell you hearing Mike Riley saying your name after 140.6 miles is fun. I have gotten my butt kicked on the swim, had to walk on the bike, reduced to a shuffle on the run, but the thrill of the race and the chance to discover limits are made to be broken always makes this sport fun and kept a smile on my face. Triathlon the most fun you can have with a Speedo on!

Very well put!!

2008-09-27 5:00 PM
in reply to: #1700845

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

southwestmba - 2008-09-27 2:35 PM What could be more fun than doing a tri? Each race is an adventure and a journey with so much to learn and experience. In my experience triathletes are such incredibly positive people, than getting a group of them together just creates a vibe. Then you take that vibe and take in the specticle going on around you. Swimming with 2200 other nut cases then looking down below you and seeing a ray gliding by oblivious to the choas going on 10 feet above. Coming out of the water and finding yourself next to one of the countries best hockey players (Pat Lafontaine). Getting on a bike and being paced by a brown pelican, watching an Ospery swoop in and grab a fish as you hammer down the course. Flying down a hill chasing that hot blonde in front of you and seeing 44 mph on the computer. The feeling on the run when you are getting stronger when every one around you is struggling, watching the reaction of people as you turn the corner and see that monster hill and hear the "colorfull" comments at IM70.3 RI. Running past the awesome fans partying on Alli drive. Encouraging and picking up your fellow triathletes when they need it, because you know they will do the same for you. Cheering on (and being cheered on by in Natsha's case) Natsha Badman, Chrissy Wellington, Andy Potts, Julie Ertel-Swail, and so many other amazing people like Scott Rigsby, Sister Madonna Buder, Frank Farrar who just make you proud to share the same stretch of asphalt. And let me tell you hearing Mike Riley saying your name after 140.6 miles is fun. I have gotten my butt kicked on the swim, had to walk on the bike, reduced to a shuffle on the run, but the thrill of the race and the chance to discover limits are made to be broken always makes this sport fun and kept a smile on my face. Triathlon the most fun you can have with a Speedo on!

Very well put!!

2008-09-27 5:02 PM
in reply to: #1700519

User image

Sprint_DA - 2008-09-27 6:13 AM I love racing.  I don't care if I'm thinking it's fun or not during the race, I just love racing.

I had this very same thought during my last race.

And honestly?   The more it hurts (the "less fun, I guess), the better at the end

Edited by ChrisM 2008-09-27 5:03 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Having fun during a tri? Rss Feed  

of 2