General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cortisone shot for plantar.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-10-11 10:59 PM

User image

Expert
Memphis, TN
Subject: Cortisone shot for plantar....
Anybody ever had a cortisone shot for plantar problems?  I have a marathon in early December and don't want to have to deal with th pain of my plantar fasciatis.  I am not afraid of needles usually, but something about getting a shot in the bottom of my foot sounds extremely painful.

2008-10-12 6:26 AM
in reply to: #1736444

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Cortisone shot for plantar....
I will be interested to hear what others say, but I am going to the doctor tomorrow for what appears to be PF.  A cortisone shot is in the back of my mind after having several Graston treatments that did not work.  I also have a marathon on December 7th and if I don't fix it in the next week or so, I am out.
2008-10-12 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
I was warned not to have a cortisone shot when I was experiancing PF issues.  Apparantly there is a chance that it can cause serious problems.
2008-10-12 9:33 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
I had the shot, not too long ago as a matter of fact. I won't lie, it did hurt...and my doc sprayed the injection site with compressed cold air before sticking the needle...still hurt like a mutha! The next day, it hurt BAD...even just to walk. But the day after that (a good 48 hrs after), the pain was completely gone! It was wonderful when I woke up 2 days after getting the shot, and could actually place my foot on the floor and feel NO PAIN. Unfortunately, that didn't carryover when I attempted to run on it. The pain was back about 10 minutes into my run, and that was on a treadmill. Can't imagine how bad it would have felt, running outside on hard pavement. All in all, the pain relief only lasted about 3 weeks for me (and that was only if I didn't run on it, running made it hurt regardless)...now it's pretty much back to where it was before I got the shot. I'm awaiting my custom orthotics to arrive. My doc also said that sometimes it takes 2 shots before a person gets full results from the cortisone injections. The only warning I was ever given about the shots, is that if given incorrectly...cortisone can atrophy the fat pad in the heel. But if done right, that should not be a concern or limiting factor. I have never been told of any serious complications from them, though. YMMV

Edited by nscrbug 2008-10-12 9:36 PM
2008-10-14 11:37 AM

Extreme Veteran
Go for custom orthotics for long term solution.
2008-10-14 12:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

I have had three series of injections done for my PF of both feet over the past 3 years.  The last injection was done over 18 months ago.  I have not had any problems with it since then (knock, knock, knock...do you hear me knocking on wood?)

Anyway, the second injections did not offer as much relief but they suspect it was because they did not hit the spot exactly.  I had cortisone flair after each set of injections which caused horrible pain for about a day within about 2 hours of the injection.  I had to take lots of advil and ice my feet and even then it hurt to the point that I could not even touch my feet to anything.  About 36 hours after the injection,  the pain was gone totally.  The big reason I think the injections worked for me was because I religiously do the stretches my podiatrist gave me to do.  Similar ones can be found on the internet if you search for PF stretches and rolling your foot on a frozen can of veggies, juice, etc.  I have orthotics from my podiatrist but luckily did not have to go the custom orthotics root.

Another huge help was a thread here on BT about PF where someone mentioned a trigger point just below the inside of the knee and where the calf muscle ends at the knee.  That spot  was very tender when my PF hurt a lot.  I started massaging it and between that and the stretches, I have been symptom free for a long time now.  Good luck.

2008-10-14 7:14 PM

User image

Champion

I had a cortisone shot yesterday and did not find it to be too painful.   The doctor also showed me how to tape it and gave me a boot to wear at night (which is a pain).  When I got up it was not nearly as painful in the area that hurt, but I did have other pain in the foot most of the day.  He asked me not to run today so tomorrow will be the big test.  I plan to tape it before I go and ice it when I get back. Oh and lots of stretching tonight.

Forgot to mention one thing, my doctor told me the peak effectivness takes place at up to 2 weeks. 

Edited by SSMinnow 2008-10-14 7:29 PM
2008-10-14 9:02 PM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
I have dealt w/ this for a year. I have custom orthotics which is supposedly to treat the core of the problem, bad over pronation, which ultimately caused a heel spur. You can see it all on my xrays here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnail...

I got a shot in March and was able to train most of the season there after with occasional pain but not enought to affect my IM training too much. Lately it has really been acting up so I went back for another shot today. I know it is not a fix but it will hopefully calm it down to get me through the Marine Corps Marathon later this month. After that I will rest it for at least a month before starting back slowly and continue with stretching and wearing my orthotics. I hate running in them but everything else is ok.

The shots hurt a lot but I have had no post injection pain and experienced nearly immediate relief!

Take the shot but seek out the proper cure!!! This is just a temporary fix.
2008-10-15 1:35 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
My wife has had great results from the Strasburg sock.  Now her problem foot is actually MORE flexible.
2008-10-17 6:30 AM

Moscow
I had the cortisone shot and it hurt like hell. It also may have cleared up my PF, which had been plaguing me for 9 months. I can't say for sure, because I was also using the Straussberg Sock, icing, taping, going to physio, swinging dead cats over my head at midnight in the graveyard-okay, not the last, but you have to try everything.
2008-10-19 7:52 PM
in reply to: #1736852

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
tridantri - 2008-10-12 2:09 PM I was warned not to have a cortisone shot when I was experiancing PF issues.  Apparantly there is a chance that it can cause serious problems.
not really.  I posted a review of what a corticosteroid really is and what it does in another PF thread.  IT DOES TREAT THE PROBLEM AND IS NOT A TEMPORARY FIX...

2008-10-22 4:35 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

I had the shot about 6 months ago.  The doc first cold-sprayed the area to help numb it.

Instead of going straight into the bottom of the foot, the doc came in from the side.  He ran the needle parallel to the bottom of the foot.  He started pushing the meds as he pulled the needle out.  He said he moved it back and forth as he withdrew it so that the cortisone covered a greater surface area.

It did hurt.  But not as much as I suspect going straight in would.  Unfortunately, I still have PF, so the treatment didnt really help much.

2008-10-22 6:58 PM
in reply to: #1760108

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Ridgelake - 2008-10-22 4:35 PM

I had the shot about 6 months ago.  The doc first cold-sprayed the area to help numb it.

Instead of going straight into the bottom of the foot, the doc came in from the side.  He ran the needle parallel to the bottom of the foot.  He started pushing the meds as he pulled the needle out.  He said he moved it back and forth as he withdrew it so that the cortisone covered a greater surface area.

It did hurt.  But not as much as I suspect going straight in would.  Unfortunately, I still have PF, so the treatment didnt really help much.

That is exactly how my doc did my shot...to a "T"...from using the cold-spray beforehand, to inserting the needle into the side of the foot and moving it back & forth to cover a greater area. Like yours...mine hurt, too...and it only lasted about 2-3 weeks. I've moved on to trying custom orthotics now...and so far, those aren't working too well either.
2008-10-23 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
I posted this on my blog earlier this year, but it tells the story. For the record, I ended up getting the custom orthotics.
2008-10-23 1:51 PM

Sorry to disagree with you Socks, but a cortisone injection does NOT fix the cause of any inflammatory condition.

In this case, PF is the result of aberrant biomechanics, inappropriate foot support, or excessive wear and tear on the foot (overactivity). The inflammatory condition that results from the above is a SYMPTOM of the underlying issue. When an nsaid (oral or injected) is provided it reduces the inflammation but does nothing to fix the cause.

This is why, after the injection, the patient often feels better. But since the underlying fault remains the problem can return.

That being said, sometimes the injection breaks the pain/inflammatory cycle and offers long-lasting relief. But to say that the injection fixes the cause is misleading.

Yes, I realize we may be mincing terms but it's an important point nonetheless.

Steve
2008-10-23 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois

I have been struggling with PF all summer. After my last 5 mile run, I couldn't walk for two days. Since then, I have stopped running and have tried EVERYTHING short of the cortisone shot to heal. I am currently in week 6 on the bench and going for 8. I still have good days and bad days, but seem to be getting better slowly.

Two weeks ago, I finally went to see the doc about the shot. I was worried I wouldn't be healed enough to start marathon training in December. He warned me against the shot with the aforementioned "causing other problems in the long run" reason. He said he especially warns against the shot for runners, knowing that as soon as they start to feel better, they go right out and run on it before it's completely healed and make it worse. He is a runner and knows our kind

Here is what works for me:

1) DONT RUN or WALK (if you can help it) NO TREADMILL! I've heard this is especially taxing on the plantar. Elliptical is pushing it. Cycle or swim instead.

2) Strassburg socks. They are a pain, but there is no morning first steps pain!

3) STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH. Not just the plantar, but calves, hams, achillies, everything in the leg. It's all connected.

4) Ice and nsaids for inflammation.

5) I like to roll a golf ball around on my foot a couple times a day.

Bottom line is you just simply have to stay off it as much as possible. Some people heal faster than others, there is no magic time span for healing. I know a gal who was out 6 months with this!! You just have to wait it out. Good luck!

2008-10-23 3:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Redlands, CA
I had the shot about 3yrs ago after trying several different braces and pads. I have had no more problems from the time I had the shot. It hurt like heck when they did it and it ached for a day or two after that but coupled with 2 months rest from running I can say I have not had one problem since.
2008-10-24 5:51 AM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
I just went back for another shot yesterday. I believe it is my mountainbiking that inflames it. My foot Doc. diagnosed the prob as being my foot over pronating and I have orthotics. They help immensly however they don't fit in my MB shoes which is why I am going to buy new ones. I have a marathon on Sunday which is why i got yesterday's shot. When I am through there I'll be off of running till December and stretching iceing and taking it easy. I will start back very slowly in Late Dec or Early Jan. For the IM training for IMCdA.

I would get the shot. But remember it is not a fix, just a serious anti inflamatory to get it calmed down and ease the pain while healing.

2008-10-30 5:48 PM
in reply to: #1762045

User image

Champion
Jenni G - 2008-10-23 2:26 PM

I have been struggling with PF all summer. After my last 5 mile run, I couldn't walk for two days. Since then, I have stopped running and have tried EVERYTHING short of the cortisone shot to heal. I am currently in week 6 on the bench and going for 8. I still have good days and bad days, but seem to be getting better slowly.

Two weeks ago, I finally went to see the doc about the shot. I was worried I wouldn't be healed enough to start marathon training in December. He warned me against the shot with the aforementioned "causing other problems in the long run" reason. He said he especially warns against the shot for runners, knowing that as soon as they start to feel better, they go right out and run on it before it's completely healed and make it worse. He is a runner and knows our kind

Here is what works for me:

1) DONT RUN or WALK (if you can help it) NO TREADMILL! I've heard this is especially taxing on the plantar. Elliptical is pushing it. Cycle or swim instead.

2) Strassburg socks. They are a pain, but there is no morning first steps pain!

3) STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH. Not just the plantar, but calves, hams, achillies, everything in the leg. It's all connected.

4) Ice and nsaids for inflammation.

5) I like to roll a golf ball around on my foot a couple times a day.

Bottom line is you just simply have to stay off it as much as possible. Some people heal faster than others, there is no magic time span for healing. I know a gal who was out 6 months with this!! You just have to wait it out. Good luck!

I would add one thing to this list, tape your foot before you run and/or bike.  On my run days, I actually keep it taped the rest of the day and all night.  I could not sleep with the brace they gave me and this was equally effective.

I do agree that the cortisone shot settles things down, but it is not a cure.

Edited by SSMinnow 2008-10-30 5:48 PM
2008-10-30 10:28 PM

User image

Veteran
I suffered for a year and finnly went to a foot doctor. They made custom ortodics and in 5 weeks I was pain free.   I was always told that Cortisone can relief the pain for a while but could cause damage that will catch up later
2008-10-31 10:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I had the shot for PF. Didn't really hurt, but I have a high pain tolerance. Did have to stay off of it for a couple more weeks though. But it wasn't a cure all because it failed to address the root cause of the foot problem and I ended up with achilles tendonitis in both ankles because my feet are totally screwed up and not made for running. Had the doc realized that the first time and sent me for orthotics along with the shot, it could have saved me a lot of time and pain. Make sure you talk to your doc about the root cause of the PF and what you can do in addition to the shot to prevent any further injuries or bouts with PF.

2008-11-01 1:07 PM
in reply to: #1776865

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois
Hey SSMinnow, what is your taping method? I've seen a few configurations on the internet, but not sure which one is better or what type of material to use. I have tried kinesio, which is most comfortable all day, but not sure it's rugged enough during a run. When I use athletic tape, I wrap around the side of the foot first, then use three strips under the foot across the arch. Is this similar to your way? Can you describe your application pattern? I'm always looking for a new or better taping proceedure.
2008-11-01 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Findlay OH

I agree with what has been posted. 

1.  custom orthotics.

2. Golf ball roll on bottom of foot.  I have also had success with a cold soda can.  Ice and release at the same time.

3.  Lots of stretching, stretch the entire leg.  Foot calf, hams, etc.

4.  NSAIDS and ice.

5. Injection as a last resort if you have a big event coming up.

6.  Patience, even with treatment PF lasts an average of 6 months.

Good luck, everyone.

2008-11-02 3:03 PM
in reply to: #1780215

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Jenni G - 2008-11-01 1:07 PM

Hey SSMinnow, what is your taping method? I've seen a few configurations on the internet, but not sure which one is better or what type of material to use. I have tried kinesio, which is most comfortable all day, but not sure it's rugged enough during a run. When I use athletic tape, I wrap around the side of the foot first, then use three strips under the foot across the arch. Is this similar to your way? Can you describe your application pattern? I'm always looking for a new or better taping proceedure.

Jenni,

Where did you find the Kinesio tape and taping technique? A guy at my gym mentioned Kinesio taping for PF, but he didn't go into much detail about it.
2008-11-02 4:28 PM
in reply to: #1781793

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois

nscrbug, take a look at this link. It says they are using leukotape, not kinesio, but it sure looks like kinesio.

http://www.rehabtoracing.com/Injuries.php

Here is a link to a discussion about the difference. Not much to go on.

http://www.rehabedge.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000132;p=0

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cortisone shot for plantar.... Rss Feed  

of 2