General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/Clydesdales and Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-10-12 1:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Land of Mickey-Orlando
Subject: Athena/Clydesdales and Ironman
Im not sure if I am looking for encouragement, a place to rant or just hoping for general information but here goes:

In 19 days, I am going to do my first Ironman at Ironman Florida. When I tell people that *I* am planning on swimming 2.4 miles, biking 112 and then running a marathon, I get that "look". Do you know the "look" I mean? The one that says "Did someone forget to tell you that your 4'11" and 180lbs?" "Did someone neglect to inform you that you DON'T have the body for triathlon." This morning I was suppose to complete a 20 mile run: my last long run before taper. My head was so screwed up, I got to 12 miles and I was done. My trainer is not pleased. Instead of having the next couple of days with light workouts, I have to try to do this one last long run one more time before Ironman.

The body image thing is really getting to me. Ive been running triathlon for 9 years. I have done 3 half ironmans and 50 triathlons. How do I get my head right?

2008-10-12 1:34 PM
in reply to: #1736863

Master
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Athena/Clydesdales and Ironman
You are doing what I can only dream to do someday (IM).  People are idiots.   You need to ignore their obnoxious comments.  They only wish they had the strength and determination to even consider a tri, let alone an IM.  Good luck!
2008-10-12 1:53 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

trihardathena - 2008-10-12 1:17 PM Im not sure if I am looking for encouragement, a place to rant or just hoping for general information but here goes: In 19 days, I am going to do my first Ironman at Ironman Florida. When I tell people that *I* am planning on swimming 2.4 miles, biking 112 and then running a marathon, I get that "look". Do you know the "look" I mean? The one that says "Did someone forget to tell you that your 4'11" and 180lbs?" "Did someone neglect to inform you that you DON'T have the body for triathlon." This morning I was suppose to complete a 20 mile run: my last long run before taper. My head was so screwed up, I got to 12 miles and I was done. My trainer is not pleased. Instead of having the next couple of days with light workouts, I have to try to do this one last long run one more time before Ironman. The body image thing is really getting to me. Ive been running triathlon for 9 years. I have done 3 half ironmans and 50 triathlons. How do I get my head right?

"F" them!

Do your thing!  Run your race!

You aren't racing in an attempt to get approval from them, are you?  Or from your trainer?  Or husband? This about you and the challenge.

Edited by pga_mike 2008-10-12 1:54 PM
2008-10-12 1:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Honestly-November 1st is the 10th anniversary of Ironman Florida. It is also the 10th anniversary of the clinical trial that I participated in that ended up being a special kind of surgery related to the gastric bypass. I lost 100lbs from that and 100lbs from running triathlon. For me its a celebration of the fact that Im still here and I survived alot of medical issues due to weight. There is a chance that I will not make the 12midnight cut off but I really won't know unless I give it a shot!!

So...there is the reason I am doing this...I just gotta get my head right! Any armchair shrinks in the house??
2008-10-12 2:06 PM
in reply to: #1736902

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

trihardathena - 2008-10-12 1:59 PM  For me its a celebration of the fact that Im still here and I survived alot of medical issues due to weight.

Forget the rest of your post!

2008-10-12 4:32 PM

DC Metro

You have come so far, don't let anyone determine your own self worth.  Your weight should also not determine your self worth.  You've been training!  You can do this!

2008-10-12 6:44 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, New Zealand
Just do it - the look on the same people's faces when you say "I've just DONE an Ironman" will be priceless.

Are you really 4' 11"? You could get some wicked drafting behind just about anyone on the course!

Edited by bigfella3 2008-10-12 6:44 PM
2008-10-12 6:45 PM

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether

Trihard

I will be volunteering at IMFL this year so I can bee there to sign up for next years race if I still have the courage.  You are one of the people I was hoping to have the opportunity to meet in person.  I have read many of your posts and I am impressed and inspired by you and your story.  I understand the body image issue you feel but remember; the you that will finish that race is not found in the mirror.  The you that will cross the finish line is in your heart and in your soul.  She is a woman infused with courage, will and determination and she is an IronWoman race or no race.  I hope I will get to meet you in person before tho race but if not I will be thinking about you and rooting for you from start to finish.

Kate 

2008-10-12 6:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Everett

I suffer from the same thing - I'm not nearly as acomplished as you but I'm working on.  In my last Tri, I talked myself out of really competing.  I mean, I was there, I did the swim/bike/run but in my head, I had such a negative self talk that I had no chance of doing well.  I convinced myself I didn't belong there, that I wasn't ready, who was I gooling.  I realize that this is more extreme than what you're going through but with only 2 races under my belt, I still don't really believe I'm a triathlete.  My family supports me 100% and I try to let them pump me up.  But I still come up against what you're talking about.  At the last tri, I was there the day before to pick up my packet and I wasn't sure where the transition area was.  So I approached a volunteer and asked.  Her reply? "only athletes are allowed in the transition area - are you here with an athlete?"  I've read a dozen different smart responses to this and I still was taken aback and managed to stutter that I WAS an athlete and I needed to know where to go.  That didn't help my already negative point of view (and in her defense, she may have phrased it differently but that was what I heard, it WAS along those lines). 

I say, like everyone else, screw them.  You ARE an athlete capable of more than most athletes out there.  I know you probably finished far ahead of many athletes who weigh less than you and you (and all athenas/clydes) are proof that your SIZE does not determine your ability. 

Sigh.  I'll be intereseted in reading more answers.  I know I will be trying more positive slef talk before racing in the spring.  Tell the voices to shut up - especially the ones in your head - they're the loudest.

PS.  I'm also post-gastric bypass - 7 years this November.  I spent the majority of my life NOT an athlete and not liking what I see in the mirror but not changing it.  I definately still have body image issues and I haven't discovered yet to what extent that affect my thoughts as a triathlete.

Edited by Lauralynne 2008-10-12 6:49 PM
2008-10-12 6:55 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

I am proud of this girl I know.  Why?  because she knew that going into the IM she was going to get pulled off the Bike.  She has yet to do a sub 4 hour Oly and never done a HIM or Marathon. 

She did not get into the shape she needed fto finish the IM and definately did not have the body for it but I am proud she trained and she tried. 

No matter if you DNF or DFL either way you went out there and your tried.  You gave it your all and you can be proud of that.  You did not back down.  If you do not finish so what.  Alot of people do not finish.  Its the freaking Ironman. 

2008-10-12 7:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I want to thank all of you for your kind responses. I had a tough run today and this helped a lot. I write a lot in my blog and in there I have told my friends (and I guess cyberspace) that the Ironman to me is 3 races..not one. The first goal is to make the swim cut off, the second is the bike cut off and finally...the hardest one of all...the run cut off. My trainer keeps telling me "Melissa...YOU ARE A RUNNER...just not a fast one"

My husband and I discussed it and I WILL sign up for 2009 and try again if necessary...but since this race falls on the 10th anniversary of my surgery, its very important to me to FINISH. Of the 12 people in my clinical trial, 9 of them died. Gastric Bypass surgery has come a long way in 10 years. My surgery took 5 hours, an incision that took 125 staples to close and 4 days in ICU. Today, its done lapriscopically and takes about 45 minutes to 2 hours. Most people go home the following day.

Oh..and YES...I am 4'11". I ride a 47cm Cannondale because its one of the few bikes I can actually stand over. I usually get people asking if a child is racing when I rack my bike at a triathlon!!! Hmmm...I like this drafting idea....(bad thoughts ... bad thoughts)...

Thanks again..you guys are the best Melissa

2008-10-12 8:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
I was watching the today show today and they interviewed a lady who was 72 or 73 years old.  To see her you would think she was just a sweet old grandmother.  Well that sweet old grandmother finished Ironman Kona yesterday and she won her age group though she might have been the only one in her age group.  I have never done an ironman and maybe never will but I am guessing that if you tell yourself you aren't going to finish this, then you won't.  You have to believe in yourself, if nobody else does then so be it but my guess is everyone that really knows you believes in you.  I can tell you that I don't even know who you are and I believe that you can do it. 
2008-10-12 9:24 PM

DC Metro

I was thinking of something else after my brief post but...

There are very few people in this world who have successfully lost weight and kept it off.  I've struggled with my weight for years, I was a 300lb teenager and tried to be active but was never athletic.  It was always 'you have to be thin' in order to be athletic.  At the age of 29 and in the high 300s, I had enough struggling and started losing weight, although slowly. 

4 years later, I'm hovering above 200 lbs but I still see myself as the girl that was headed toward 400 lbs at one point in her life.  I struggle with the idea of doing athletic things but don't ever think I will feel I'm an athlete of any type.   I don't even think I would try at all if it wasn't for other people like yourself doing it.  I also not sure if I could've seen myself losing weight if it wasn't for finding that others have successfully lost 100 lbs or more. Trust me, losing more than 100 lbs and keeping it off is a huge accomplishment that not many people can say they've done.

Lastly, those people that give you 'the look', I'm betting they are the same people that also could not do an IM.  You can.

Edited by linanil 2008-10-12 9:25 PM
2008-10-12 10:06 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California

I'd be willing to bet that for every person that gives you "the look" there are a bunch more people who genuinely think it's awesome that you are doing an IM.  I'd also be willing to bet that the people who are giving you "the look" are not the kind of people who understand what it's like to seek out challenges and test their own limits.

You have a lot to be proud of and I wish you luck in your quest to become an Ironman.

2008-10-13 12:16 PM

Veteran
Not to hijack, but I'll be there too! All 245 lbs at 5'5" and will be 55 on December 8th. Melissa and I will be swimming, riding and running/walking for all of you and all of us out there who are not limited by our weight. For me, it's going to be very, very, very close to see if I will finish. Melissa, let's post our numbers when we get them so that our "Team" here can follow us on that day. Trust us, we've put the work and time in. It's really hard for us, but we've got it mentally. Let's hope our bodies can follow on race day.
You guys all rock you Athenas and Clydesdales!
Rhonda
writers2
2008-10-13 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Who cares what people do and say?  I do this for myself not them. 

2008-10-14 4:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am definitely doing this for ME but I guess those opinions do effect the way I see and feel about myself. Again...everyone's comments here have helped very much and I can't thank you enough for taking time to answer this thread!!
2008-10-17 2:25 PM

Veteran
I got my race number 2569. It will be very, very, very close if I get to the finish line, but thought I'd give you my race number for that day. It depends what the day gives me. Wish me luck. I'll need it.
Rhonda
2008-10-17 4:51 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Last year, one of the coolest things I saw came not as a few people finished just before midnight or a couple right after, but after I walked back to my condo, taking the elevator up to the 9th floor and then looking back out to the road before I turned in for the night, one person still going, moving on toward the finish line.  It was after 12:35 and they still had a 1/2 mile to go and they were still going.  They finished, maybe not an "official" finisher, but they finished the journey they set out on.  They completed 140.6 their way and in their time.  I wish I hadn't gone back so quick.  I probably would have walked to the finish with them, encouraging them all the way. 
2008-10-17 6:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I've gotten the look too and the you know what?   SCREW that in more ways than one.   You are doing the same distance as everyone else.  THE SAME.  So what if you aren't a rubberband?  You'll do great and I can't wait to read the report....Have fun and enjoy your day. You've come a long way, don't let someone's BS get you down.

2008-10-17 8:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Warwick, Rhode Island

I love the "look." I feed off of it. It makes the finish line that much sweeter...especially when you know that you have dashed their expectations. Even better when they see you relaxing with a Gatorade before they have finished.

As a previous poster said, F them...Ironman is for YOU. Not for them.

Good luck and TEAR IT UP!

2008-10-18 9:15 PM

User image

Regular
Flower Mound, TX
I will be working at the Newton running booth, come by and say hi. I am the CLydesdale and screw the skiiny people.
2008-10-18 9:25 PM
in reply to: #1752117

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

ajax1868 - 2008-10-18 9:15 PM I will be working at the Newton running booth, come by and say hi. I am the CLydesdale and screw the skiiny people.

Tell them we need netwons in 16 wides.  or atleast 15 wides

2008-10-18 11:35 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

What do you do about 'the look'?  Invite them to come along on that last long run.  Or on any of your other runs, or how about on a brick workout?

You are awesome!  Best of luck at the IM - enjoy every minute of it.

Oh yeah, for those of us out on the course for a long time?  We're just getting our full money's worth!!!

2008-10-19 5:21 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I will be there supporting both you and Rhonda.

I struggle with fitting in and feeling the part of triathlete. I was aware that when I got to Lake Placid I might feel out of place and intimidated by al the super fit athletes. For me it was in my head not what people said or did to me. Turns out I felt comfortable and excited in my few days in Lake Placid before my first IM.

Someone shared this with me about a week before my first IM. It really help me change from fear of not belonging to knowing I've done the work and now let's go enjoy the race.

At LP just remember to keep pushing forward and to enjoy every aspect of the journey be it during the week to the hours of the race; every person you meet, every step you take, to the athletes meeting. Just take it all in and remember every piece.   You are about to enter a realm that most cannot even fathom.    Almost a week from now you will become a minority by pushing yourself to the limits that you have dreamed of yet to a level that the vast majority cannot comprehend.   This is what excites me – to have the courage to start down the path.  Just enjoy it all. Don’t get sucked into all the training you’ll see going on at LP next week.  You are ready for the race.  Keep to your plan.  Remember, the race doesn’t start until you begin the 2nd bike loop.  You’ll see plenty of Athletes who get sucked  in and burn themselves on the first loop of the bike.  Just have a grand time. 

You two have done the work. The journey for me started years before I toed the line at my first IM. I think for you it has too. You had surgery that was fatalfor more than 75% of the folks that did it. You have lost 200 pounds, trained hard, been dedicated to doing an IM for a few years and are ready.

This is your journey, your experience, your race, if others add to that experience soak it up. If others detract from it blow it off. Cool thing at IM there are many folks at every pace so being BOP you will have buddies. BOPers are wonderful, kind and will be your coracers at IMFL. They understand, they will support you as will their fans, friends and family. You will feel like a super star on race day. The vibe and the crowd will be willing you forward to get you to the finish line.

Soak it up...your day will soon be here...you are trained...enjoy....it is a magical place...Ironman.

My husband and I will be screaming and yelling & pulling for both of you

Look at your life 10 years ago, you have traveled much farther and more difficult journey than 140.6 miles....you are already a 1 in a million.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/Clydesdales and Ironman Rss Feed  

of 2