Carolina Marathon Association
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 39m 54s
Overall Rank = 53/510
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/39
Pre-race routine:

Ate breakfast (4 pancakes and a smoothie) a bit late -- 6:15. I felt those pancakes during the first few miles! I had intended to bike to the race, but got delayed hunting for a few things at home, so ended up driving.
Event warmup:

Warmed up 1 mile slow, milled around for 10 minutes, and off we go.
Run
  • 1h 39m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

This was somewhere between racing and training. I started off at the same training pace that I ran last weekend. As the race wore on, I got sucked into a slightly faster pace. Well, it was a race -- very hard to resist running faster. And passing all of the annoying guys with the 'See Ya!' shirts became a mission. (Mission accomplished!) Still, I successfully avoided an all-out effort, and had fun to boot. I'll be able to do the long ride tomorrow, and that's the main thing. First mile was typically annoying since there was no organization (by pace) at the start, so there was a lot of weaving through people until things sorted out, at about mile 1.

Most important, the knee gave me no trouble at all, not even afterwards. That's really great news.
What would you do differently?:

Eat earlier.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a little. Ran 1/2 mile very slow back to the car. Drove home. Stretched some more. Ice bath. Warm shower. I feel fine now.

Event comments:

This is a good race on a great, pretty, hilly course. Post-race 'expo' was non-existent, but I really couldn't care less about that. Post-race food was less than great, but that doesn't really bother me either.

I like this race.

Last updated: 2008-06-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:39:54 | 13.1 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/39
Overall: 0/510
Performance: Good
Ran about 8:00/mile for the first few miles, then pick up to 7:45 for a few, then bigger pickup at around mile 7 to around 7:00/mile. Last mile was slower, but seriously uphill. Official time was 1:39:54, but true time was about 30s faster (but who's counting....??!) The start gun is the same for everyone, but the finish is by 'chip' time. This race has gotten big enough that they need to get with the program and get a mat for the start as well as the finish.
Course: Hilly. Serious hills are at mile 2, 8, and 12. The hill at mile 12 is painfully steep and long -- it lasts to past mile 13, so just the final 100 yards or so is flat again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes