Out Loud Productions
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 07m 26s
Overall Rank = 163/185
Age Group = Male 40-44
Age Group Rank = 31/31
Pre-race routine:

Good breakfast (cereal w/ blueberris and mile) at the house w/ Coffee. Glass of accelerade drink. Arrived about 45 milutes before T close, plenty of setup time. Everything felt okay but was unsure of what to wear for the bike in terms of warmth...
Event warmup:

Stretches, water was too cold to really swim warm up... I need to get a little better at this.

Good shoulder and hip strtches waiting though...
Swim
  • 40m 1s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Easy start, wading in. was on the outside of the future turns for the start and on the rt of the group as the sun would be on my left. Had my tempo trainer dinging in my ear and that was reassuring during the swim. Could have set it a little faster.

New wetsuit was nice surprise, very supple and great shoulder movement. Kinda forgot i was wearing it, really...

Good turn on first bouy stayed in normal swimming motion all the way around. Goggles leaked a couple times and had to eaither breth left or close mu rt eye as the whole rt side filled. treaded water to dump it out 3 times. Hard to see the small bouy's! They were orange and there were red race caps, easy to confuse them. Just used a house in the distance for sighting. Nice easy strokes all the way through the long back leg. Great turn on last turn bouy and felt really good coming into the end of the swim. bouys were in a strange place so i just went straight to the finish bouy from the last turn. Boat ramp was good to get out on but the edge of it was a little abrupt. Helpers pulled me out though and that was nice. Remebered to unzip the ankles and back in time for a big strong girl to strip me down ! lolo. Off and away w/ no drama.
What would you do differently?:

Well, the goal was to finish, so I didn't want to do anything fast really. Well, i accomplished the not going fast part pretty easily ! lolo I could have pushed the swim faster and in the future probably will but i was really afraid of having a really great swim and not finishing the race...
Transition 1
  • 04m 32s
Comments:

Robin was able to run right next to me going to T1, that was nice to see her face, she is such a great cheerleader !!

Spent to much time thinking what i needed to wear. Ended up w/ leg warmers and my riding jacket. jogged out okay

I need to be decisive when setting out T originally !!
Bike
  • 3h 40m 38s
  • 59 miles
  • 16.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, what can i say about the bike... UGH ! I made lots of people feel good about themselves on the bike. Me and my anchor just motored along as if we were sight seeing... It was pretty but i had TOOOOOO much time to look at it ! Great volonteers at the aid stations and road crossings. Got to watch a train cross in front of me in Richards (like I needed to be slowed down) w/ 10 others! Tweaked my L quad right after that (mi 25)and had to work around that for the rest of the ride. And there was wind, did I mention wind ? Nice, brisk headwind ! Kinda tough on me coming back in, but i made it and didn't have to get swept off the course ! yea ! lololo Definetly need to get stronger on the bike, maybe a little suffering in practice will keep me from bleeding during a race like this...

Stronger, faster !

Maybe a 6 million dollar man renovation ? That bionic eye thing would be cool too...
Transition 2
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

Good switch, things went pretty smooth w/ no real complaints. Nice to see Robin, Kay and Mom when i rode into T !!! Great cheering squad, raised the 'ol spirits but getting off the bike did alot for that too...

nothing, good change over !
Run
  • 2h 39m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Well the plan was 3(zone 1)/7(zone 2)/3(zone 3). 1st 3 to ease into the run, the next 7 tto actually run and then the last 3 to see what was left and maybe run faster. Okay, so i'm not a fast runner, want to be and faster than i was last year, but still slow... :(

The first 3 sucked ! Rt hamstring was cramping during mile 2 and 3. took in lots of water and started to take in more salt. I think i had a dehydration issue going on because it went away w/ the water and salt pills. yea !

Next 7 were better and was able to get into a rythem, kinda. Smiled while i ran (sorry Robin), thanked the volunteers and took in fluids and salt. big hill at mile 10ish that was a pain. Stopped and talked to my cheering squad, they deserved it !

next 3 miles were pretty cool even though I knew i was bringing up the back of the pack. I knew i was going to finishand my mood was light and stride felt really good. Last 2 miles felt really good ! Definetly felt the best of the entire day ! Passed a few folks during this time and felt great !

understand the distance a little better but I do know. Could have run faster earlier in the day and maybe still had something left for the end. This off season is run focused so next year will definetly be better! :)
Post race
Warm down:

Walking, drinking gatorade and water, ate some oranges, a banana and some pizza.

Got into dry clothes. Minor stretching, actually felt pretty good physically...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Let me count the ways...
Swim - Okay
T1 - indecision
Bike - New Bike, stronger legs, drink more water/salt
T2 - Good
Run - better hydration, in general run faster, okay

Event comments:

Great volunteers !!!

Make the swim caps a differant color than the swim bouys!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:01 | 1931 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 21/31
Overall: 0/185
Performance: Average
HR Avg: 157
Suit: Pro Motion
Course: Start and finish in differant places. Start was at the old boat dock/pier. Course went out to left, rt hand turn bouy (long leg) and then rt turn bouy to finish into cove/boat ramp. Kinda stretched out triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:32
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:40:38 | 59 miles | 16.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/31
Performance: Bad
HR avg: to high 153/148
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Great course through the national forest for the first half. Lots of rolling hills into Richards. hills were still there for the next 20 miles but a little gentler, kinda, then into Dacus and the hills were smaller but more of them ! Did i mention there were hills ? Really pretty ride... I made drawings and painted pictures. You can go see them at www.long_ass_slow_ride_pictures.com lolo
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:39:24 | 13.1 miles | 12m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/31
Performance: Average
1 10'31" 153 2 14'59" 151 (Rt Hamstring Cramps!!) 3 14'40" 147 (Rt Hamstring Cramps!!) 4 12'09" 151 5 9'12" 156 6/7 25'48"152 (12'09" avg) 8 9'01" 151 9 11'07" 152 10 12'46" 154 (stopped and talked to the pit crew !) 11 12'03" 152 12 9'08" 157 13 8'50" 160
Course: Good course. Went into one neighborhood and wound around for the first 7 miles and out on the road for the rest. The last 3 miles straight through a neighborhood. Through the windy neighborhood was actually good because you could see others and say hi and so forth... lololo
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-11-17 1:29 PM

User image

Spring/Woodlands area
Subject: Iron Star Triathlon

2008-11-18 4:27 PM
in reply to: #1812695

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX
Subject: RE: Iron Star Triathlon
Great report! Loved the humor. Maybe you should've caught a ride on the train. ;-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Star Triathlon Rss Feed