Other Resources My Cup of Joe » School Teacher Christmas Present: Yes or No Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

School Teacher Christmas Present: Yes or No
OptionResults
NO11 Votes - [25.58%]
Yes - store bought10 Votes - [23.26%]
Yes - homemade goodies22 Votes - [51.16%]

2008-12-03 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Subject: School Teacher Christmas Present: Yes or No

Who gets their child's teacher a christmas gift?

If so what do you give - store bought (included gift cards) or home made goodies.

Give me some ideas of what you make or buy....

Cathleen

Edited by houston-tri-mama 2008-12-03 9:21 AM

2008-12-03 9:31 AM
in reply to: #1836368

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: School Teacher Christmas Present: Yes or No
If your kid wants to come to my school I would suggest a nice pair of Zipps.
2008-12-03 9:42 AM

User image

Master
"Home of Superman"
A set if Hed's would be nice also. 
2008-12-03 9:45 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Teachers love gifts. Especially ones they can actually use.
2008-12-03 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Living in the past

Go with the baked goods if they are being called a "gift". IMO, baked goods don't carry the appearance of "bribery" that a store-bought present might.

To the point Mr. "Two Goggs" made, perhaps some school supplies at the beginning of the year would be more appreciated. I have heard of teachers having to dip into their own pockets to procure supplies they believe they need and aren't made available by the school.

2008-12-03 10:44 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC
As a former teacher, any thought is appreciated but GC are the best!!!

2008-12-03 10:45 AM

My mom is an admin in the Principal's office at an elementary school and she likes getting the baked goods - at least from the families she knows and trusts. I suppose there's no "bribery" involved in her job, since she's not a teacher, but same idea. Food, gift cards, or something tasteful and thoughtful, esp. if you know the teacher well. For what can be a thankless job, a thoughtful gift might be seen as a "thank you" and not a bribe.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-12-03 10:49 AM
2008-12-03 10:50 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida
They have us do the "everybody pitch in and we'll give one big GC" present.  I'll probably give some kind of homemade food to go along with it, but after donating money to 6 teachers I don't have any left to get an extra present!
2008-12-03 11:26 AM

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
I would make sure you call it a holiday gift...as not everyone celebrates Christmas.  I am not sure how well you know the teacher and whether or not they are christians or jewish or muslim?
2008-12-03 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX

I used to teach Music, and the family of one of my kids gave me a "We Donated to the Local Symphony in Your Name" card as a gift.  That really meant a lot, as I knew it was $$ that was going to help keep the arts going.  I've also had families donate to a food shelf in my name.  Very cool!!

As a 1st Grade teacher (what I'm teaching now), I still love the idea of giving a small ($5 or less) donation to a cause.  It's money that I know is going to good use.

But, if I had to choose between a store bought gift or homemade gift, the homemade gifts mean a lot more to me... especially if it's something from the kitchen!!!!!!

-Joel

2008-12-03 12:07 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
My mom used to make lots of sweets and pumpkin bread (large and mini loafs) and would have me bring a small basket to school for my teachers.  They all appreciated it.  Of course I got picked on a bit as being a brown-noser but that's okay, it only came from the kids who were not trying in school anyway.

2008-12-03 12:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

"A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund."

LOL! 

My oldest is in kindergarten, and we'll be baking for the teacher this year. 

2008-12-03 12:40 PM

User image

Master
NJ
As a teacher, I love the GC or AMEX gift card. One family always gave half a cow or something to a charity in my name. I loved that idea also. Mostly around here everyone pitches in and I get one big GC and smaller things from individual kiddies. Not a big fan of the baked goods b/c I don't quite trust everyone but our Christmas tree is adorned with plenty of homemade ornaments from former students - which I really do cherish. Just be careful with what you give - I've had the "Here ya go - my mom doesn't want these (candleholders) so she said you should have them."
2008-12-03 1:06 PM

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line

I've always made something fromt eh kitchen - chocolate covered pretzels, PB crackers covered in chocolate.... but it's so time consuming and I don't have much time the week school lets out.  Just wondering if homemade is really appreciated or not....

2008-12-03 1:16 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
I'm struggling with this too.  I have 7 teachers or aides to get gifts for!  Yikes!  So, since we moved here from Hawaii, I am making a lot of lei's.  It is super easy, fast and not too expensive.  Then I plan on making some candy too.  I think for the teachers, I'll get an ornament or gift card or something in addition.  It gets expensive fast when you have three kids in school!

(IMG_2928.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_2928.jpg (16KB - 11 downloads)
2008-12-03 3:45 PM

Veteran
Ocean, New Jersey
I still have a gift card that I was given last Christmas. It's not that I don't appreciate them, I just don't shop! The best gifts I've ever received are ones that show the kids know who I am. In the past I've received little one pot containers of ground coffee (TRY keeping up with 114 eighth graders without coffee!); baked goods (aka, stress food); one of my students gave me three candy canes attached to gingerbread men for my three kids (loved that one); and best of all, I once received a book from a student who told me that because of me, he'd decided to become an English teacher.

2008-12-03 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
Madison

This has always been a struggle - with two kids with special needs, the list of teachers and aides is pretty long. 

I started giving them homemade cards - I have my kids draw a picture, scan them into the computer and print them on vellum paper, we attach the picture to pre-folded note cards with ribbon.  On the back, I print "Original artwork created by.....".  I give each teacher a set of 4-6 with envelopes and they can use them as they wish. 

We usually set up an assembly line at the kitchen table to make them all and it goes pretty fast.  I have gotten good responses and have been doing it now for about 4 years.  We always keep some for ourselves - they work great as thank you cards!

2008-12-03 3:50 PM
in reply to: #1837169

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
gofishtlp - 2008-12-03 4:47 PM

This has always been a struggle - with two kids with special needs, the list of teachers and aides is pretty long. 

I started giving them homemade cards - I have my kids draw a picture, scan them into the computer and print them on vellum paper, we attach the picture to pre-folded note cards with ribbon.  On the back, I print "Original artwork created by.....".  I give each teacher a set of 4-6 with envelopes and they can use them as they wish. 

We usually set up an assembly line at the kitchen table to make them all and it goes pretty fast.  I have gotten good responses and have been doing it now for about 4 years.  We always keep some for ourselves - they work great as thank you cards!

that is a very cool gift idea in general!!

2008-12-03 4:15 PM

User image

For the past three years the room mom in both of my sons classes have asked for contributions and a "big" class gift is given (usually a gift card to their "favorite" place).  We always contribute to the class gift, but both of my sons also like to take in a "special" baked good for each teacher.

My daughter is in pre-school and also likes to take the teachers something.  Last year she gave each teacher (there are 3) a Christmas pin - this is a christian preschool.  However, this year she will give them a baked good.

Usually the baked goodie is a family recipe-wine cake.  It is yummy (I make extra for us!)  I wrap it in colored cellophane and tie with red/green/white ribbon.  Very festive!    

Edited by Havin'Fun 2008-12-03 4:20 PM
2008-12-03 4:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana

I love getting ornaments with the student's picture and/or name.  We have a very uniquely decorated tree of memories for Christmas.

I have given picture frames, sports blankets, baskets of teacher goodies.  (pens, markers, notepads, etc.).  We've also done class letters and collected money then brought a class 'gift' card from really neat places.  This year they all got Poinsettias-we had 7 teachers.

2008-12-04 3:00 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Be careful with baked goods. Not only do you have allergy concerns, a LOT of people struggle with weight gain over the holidays. Either doing something healthy or something non-food-related would probably show that you not only appreciate them, you are trying to be supportive of their health (even if you don't know if they are struggling specifically with weight, having healthy teachers is generally a good thing!).

Another option, especially in this cash-strapped time, is to offer certificates for extra volunteer time. Give the teacher six one-hour cards for each of the next six months (or however long until they get out of school), to be used doing whatever they need done. Making phone calls, cleaning up the classroom, setting up for the science fair, whatever. Just make sure the teacher knows you sincerely want to help (and make sure you can definitely provide the time). That's hard if you have a lot of teachers, but a great way to save money and help out. Perhaps write a list on the back of possible uses of the time, if you know things the teacher needs done regularly.

2008-12-04 8:14 AM
in reply to: #1836646

User image

Expert
MA
runningwoof - 2008-12-03 12:26 PM

I would make sure you call it a holiday gift...as not everyone celebrates Christmas.  I am not sure how well you know the teacher and whether or not they are christians or jewish or muslim?

If I am giving a gift for an occasion I am celebrating I will call it Jim if Jim is what I'm celebrating. Reasonable people are not offended by someone reaching out and appreciating them with a gift. I would never be offended by a Hanukkah gift and I am nothing like Jewish. I would be especially honored that someone thinks enough of me to reach out to me on a holiday they know I do not celebrate. A gift is an expression of love and anyone who is offended by love has problems.

That said, I give homemade gifts (food) to my kids' teachers who I feel have done a good job with my kids. That is most but not all of them. And I always give them to the support people that have worked with my kids.
2008-12-04 10:07 AM
in reply to: #1838164

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

chadtower - 2008-12-04 9:14 AM
runningwoof - 2008-12-03 12:26 PM I would make sure you call it a holiday gift...as not everyone celebrates Christmas.  I am not sure how well you know the teacher and whether or not they are christians or jewish or muslim?
If I am giving a gift for an occasion I am celebrating I will call it Jim if Jim is what I'm celebrating. Reasonable people are not offended by someone reaching out and appreciating them with a gift. I would never be offended by a Hanukkah gift and I am nothing like Jewish. I would be especially honored that someone thinks enough of me to reach out to me on a holiday they know I do not celebrate. A gift is an expression of love and anyone who is offended by love has problems. That said, I give homemade gifts (food) to my kids' teachers who I feel have done a good job with my kids. That is most but not all of them. And I always give them to the support people that have worked with my kids.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  I honestly believe that we are way too afraid to "offend" someone.  You're reaching out to them and if they can't can't appreciate that fact, then you know who you don't have to reach out to next year.  The same for trying to figure out if someone has an allergy or is struggling with weigh loss. 

If I give someone a gift and they don't appreciate it, then I will simply not give them a gift next time.  It's really a simple matter.  If the person cannot look beyond themselves to be thankful at the gesture, that's their problem.

YMMV

2008-12-04 10:23 AM
in reply to: #1838353

Marvarnett - 2008-12-04 11:07 AM

runningwoof - 2008-12-03 12:26 PM I would make sure you call it a holiday gift...as not everyone celebrates Christmas.  I am not sure how well you know the teacher and whether or not they are christians or jewish or muslim?
If I am giving a gift for an occasion I am celebrating I will call it Jim if Jim is what I'm celebrating. Reasonable people are not offended by someone reaching out and appreciating them with a gift. I would never be offended by a Hanukkah gift and I am nothing like Jewish. I would be especially honored that someone thinks enough of me to reach out to me on a holiday they know I do not celebrate. A gift is an expression of love and anyone who is offended by love has problems. That said, I give homemade gifts (food) to my kids' teachers who I feel have done a good job with my kids. That is most but not all of them. And I always give them to the support people that have worked with my kids.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  I honestly believe that we are way too afraid to "offend" someone.  You're reaching out to them and if they can't can't appreciate that fact, then you know who you don't have to reach out to next year.  The same for trying to figure out if someone has an allergy or is struggling with weigh loss. 

If I give someone a gift and they don't appreciate it, then I will simply not give them a gift next time.  It's really a simple matter.  If the person cannot look beyond themselves to be thankful at the gesture, that's their problem.

YMMV

I think it would be interesting to poll a group of folks who DIDN'T celebrate Christmas and see if they would be honestly offended or not. A good majority of the country is either Christian, or at least secularly celebrates major Christian-based holidays (Christmas and Easter). So of course, we don't see it as "offensive". But perhaps some of those other folks do...just a thought.  

2008-12-04 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1838382

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
wurkit_gurl - 2008-12-04 11:23 AM
Marvarnett - 2008-12-04 11:07 AM

YMMV

I think it would be interesting to poll a group of folks who DIDN'T celebrate Christmas and see if they would be honestly offended or not. A good majority of the country is either Christian, or at least secularly celebrates major Christian-based holidays (Christmas and Easter). So of course, we don't see it as "offensive". But perhaps some of those other folks do...just a thought.  

i once was given a hanukkah gift and was not offended at all. 

i'll also accept kwanzaa, solstice, and any other non-christian holiday gifts, thanks.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » School Teacher Christmas Present: Yes or No Rss Feed  

of 2