General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deer Creek Triathlon - Sprint : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2009-05-30 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1841919

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Triathlon - Sprint : Official Thread
OLY here- planning on beating myself pretty bad (from last year's times-it was my first OLY distance)

2009-05-31 6:10 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
Howdy BTers!  I just got back from riding the course.  The first 10 miles are like NASCAR= flat and left turns.  The rest of the course is like Cedar Point!  2 fun downhills followed by 2 very punishing hill climbs.  Heah, almost no time to spin before hopping off the bike.

You start out with a Right from the T1. Crossing over 207 onto  Egypt Pk Rd.  It's about 4ish miles.
L @ Dick.  Small rd, about 1.5 cars wide.  Small decline into a swamp area.  Past the swamp is a mud hold on the right so watch for it.  This would be a great time to drink.
L @ Badger.  HEADWIND.  I dropped from 18mpg to 12mph.  Road is NOT smooth at all so be careful on the edges.
Badger crosses another road, then you have to vear to the R to keep on Badger.  Here you have some curves.  I was able to still drink and not loose any speed.  Road has some tar on it- yes that sound IS your wheels sticking to the road.
L @ Locust Curve (about 10ish miles in).  About 200yds in the road drops.  Even downshifting all the way I ran out of gears.  After a small incline there is slight drop before the quarry and HILL #1.  Not as bad as THE HILL @ MU tri.  I let my previous momentum push me up, then downshifted and stood to climb.  I got up most of the way and then up shifted and sat back down.  Phew!  An amazing 8mph- I'm sooo speedy.
L @ Crown.  Another lovely hill here but this time I sat the whole way.  From there its just a short distance into the parking lot and hopefully T2.

This took me about 51 mins- I had to stop several times for traffic and to check the map (badger does this zig zag thing and I thought i was lost).  There are faded arrows from last year's tri still on the road and than helped alot.

I think the 2nd part of Badger had a few rolling hills but the wind just sucked the fun out of them.

My main feedback is that most of the roads are only 1.5 cars wide and are not smooth.  No loose gravel but I would avoid riding on the edge.

I will be camping for the weekend- David I would love to join you on the ride on Saturday.
2009-06-01 7:22 AM

Veteran
Ok So I checked that water temp today and it is still 66.... ANd it doesn't look to promising for a heat wave this week at deer creek.... Everyone be prepared for a cold swim!!!!!

Here is my dilemma. My aunt gave me a wetsuit to wear, but the problem is, it is a surf style wetsuit, not a tri specific wetsuit.... So It has the short sleeves an short legs.

What does everyone think? Scratch the wetsuit and just do it in jammers or wear the wetsuit. Is it really going to matter. This is my first race so I am not going for speed I am going for fun. I just dont want to look like a tool with a surfers wetsuit at a tri race.

Cant wait to meet some people at this race!!!! 
2009-06-01 7:45 AM

User image

Delaware, OH
Can you  maybe get over there and do a test run sometime this week?  One with and one without?
2009-06-01 7:49 AM

Veteran

I live about an hour and a half away so it isnt really convient to get there. I am going to go check out tri-tech multisport today to see if maybe they rent tri wetsuits....

2009-06-01 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2185756

User image

Master
Ohio
k-read23 - 2009-06-01 8:49 AM

I live about an hour and a half away so it isnt really convient to get there. I am going to go check out tri-tech multisport today to see if maybe they rent tri wetsuits....

If that is the only reason you're going I can save you the trip and tell you that they do not.

But, if it's just an excuse to go to the bike store then by all means , go.

2009-06-01 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Ohio
Here is the info on the Saturday pre-race meet up. We'll meet at the beach parking lot at 11:00Am for a swim.  Look for a large white class C "Shasta" RV in the parking lot. That's where I'll be. A few minutes after 11 we'll head down to the water for a short swim. For those who just want to ride the course we'll meet up at my RV at noon. Be ready to go then. We'll ride the course slowly. Figure just under an hour to complete one loop. The ride pace will be slow. This is a scouting the course type of ride. Bring the family if you want, just be sure they can make it up the hills near the end of the course. We'll finish up at the beach and those who want to will do a short transition run (about 10 min for me). You can pick up your race packet after the run. I'd be happy to help any new-bies who have questions on all the stuff in your race bag sort it all out after our run.

Don't forget to meet up with Emerson (Eknowles) after the race Sunday for celebration cake. Emerson and family are celebrating Emerson being 5 years cancer free and his birthday!
2009-06-01 8:40 AM

Veteran
Ok Yea I wanted to go up anyways so no worries. this is just an excuse to go to a bike shop.... David what are your thoughts on the wetsuit I have?  

I will be down at deer creek Friday evening, So I would like to be in on the swim and the bike. anything would help with the race jitters....

Also On my training plan this week is a Taper what are your thoughts. I am only doing to sprint. SHould I take it easy this week? Or do like I have been for the 12 weeks prior? 
2009-06-01 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2185929

User image

Master
Ohio
k-read23 - 2009-06-01 9:40 AM Ok Yea I wanted to go up anyways so no worries. this is just an excuse to go to a bike shop.... David what are your thoughts on the wetsuit I have?  

I will be down at deer creek Friday evening, So I would like to be in on the swim and the bike. anything would help with the race jitters....

Also On my training plan this week is a Taper what are your thoughts. I am only doing to sprint. SHould I take it easy this week? Or do like I have been for the 12 weeks prior? 

Take it with you to the race. Wear it on Saturday for your test swim and see how it feels. If you feel you need it due to the cold and it dosen't pinch anywhere it shouldn't then use it for the swim race day.

STICK TO YOUR PLAN. Has your plan gotten you through the last 12 weeks with improved fitness and without injury? If so, then why would you decide not to do what the plan says come race week? If not, it's too late to change up anything now. TAPER. There is no reason not to.

The taper part of your plan is used to give your body a rest before race day. You will be giving up a small amount of fitness for a well rested body. Fight the urge to go hard this week. It will do you no good. Keep that HR low on your workouts. You've put in the training. You are ready to race. Relax this week, K. You're going to do fine.
2009-06-01 9:18 AM

Veteran
Ok cool Thanks for the advise. I guess what I am worried about is. for the past 12 weeks I have been on a an and I worked out everyday. I am just worried about what I will do this week without training...  

Im starting to get stoked for this race.... 
2009-06-01 10:32 AM

Taper. It does the body good. (sounds like the old milk comm.)

Went out Sunday and swam. Water temp was in the mid 60's air temp was low 70's w/ wind. After the first shock of the cool water and my training partner whining the water felt nice. Ease yourself in and give your body a couple of min. to get used to the water temp. After swimming the length of the beach a couple of time I actually felt warm and the cool breeze felt good. Then still sweated like a pig on the little run.

Good luck to all, It's almost here.
I'm in on the sprint.

2009-06-01 10:41 PM
in reply to: #2185911

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

David tri's - 2009-06-01 6:34 AM
Don't forget to meet up with Emerson (Eknowles) after the race Sunday for celebration cake. Emerson and family are celebrating Emerson being 5 years cancer free and his birthday!

I will not be speedy so stop by even if you don't spot a post race stinky athlete...  Look for an "Athlete's for a Cure" banner.  I think my family will arrive around 10:00 AM or so.  I think the Oly starts around 8:00 AM so my kids are driving my wife up (she is in a wheelchair and cannot drive) to share and meet folks even while I am on the course...   If it starts earlier, they will drive up from Cincinnati earlier.   My kids are not little, this is my baby's baby... after her first 5K...  Life is really good!!!!

Please consider a moment to read a story, we are a blessed family:

http://www.afacblog.org/people-and-cancer/an-ordinary-miracle

http://athletes.kintera.org/emersonknowles 

Edited by etknowles 2009-06-01 10:46 PM
2009-06-02 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2188347

User image

Master
Ohio
Starting them young eh, Emerson. How fast did she go?
2009-06-04 12:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
quick question for all out there with experience racing, specifically with HFP:

will I need to remove my bike computer prior to racing?  Its a simple gadget, tells only time speed and distance.

Newbi question:  is it time to take the reflectors off the tri bike?  First tri ever, dont want it to be more noticiable than it already will be!
2009-06-04 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2195028

User image

Master
Ohio
abrezo - 2009-06-04 1:12 PM quick question for all out there with experience racing, specifically with HFP:

will I need to remove my bike computer prior to racing?  Its a simple gadget, tells only time speed and distance.

Newbi question:  is it time to take the reflectors off the tri bike?  First tri ever, dont want it to be more noticiable than it already will be!

Leave your computer on.

You have reflectors on your tri bike?? Yeah, I'd say its time to get rid of them.
2009-06-04 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
Let's talk about race goals. Who's got some? I want to go ahead and put my goals out there so I can't fink out when things get tough during the race. Here's my goal: 2:35:00. My previous best for a oly race is just under 2:45, so this goal is tough enough to make me push but not so tough that I won't be able to acheive it. I want to go

Swim- 1:40 per 100- 25 min
Bike- 21MPH+ - 1:10:51
Run- 8:52/MM - 55 min
Total transition time- 2:30 Min

Total time if I make these paces is 2:33:21, giving me 99 seconds to play with.

2009-06-04 12:56 PM

Veteran
I was thinking for my total race I want to be right around 1:15 - 1:30 for the sprint.... Does that sound doable?
2009-06-04 4:06 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
I dont have any particular goals for the race itself but I over the course of the summer I want to beat these five items:

My best Oly swim time: 1:32 per 100y
My best Oly bike mph: 18.8 mph
My best Oly run: 7:58 min/mi
My best Oly overall: 2:36 (but it was only a 23 mile bike-Portage Lakes)
Happy Goal: Cracking 2:30

If I do the top three in one race (maybe this one) then number four will fall as might number five.

Edited by bananatoes 2009-06-04 4:14 PM
2009-06-04 6:13 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
Seeing as this is my first tri with a out door 750M swim I would like to finish in under 2 hours.

I would also like to eat those last two hills on the bike for lunch- no walking up hills!
2009-06-04 6:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
This being my first tri, i'm not sure what to expect, but I have set some goals for myself:

swim:  14:30
Bike:  40
Run:  30 

Add in transitions, not yet practiced, my goal is to finish under 1:35:30.  Realistic?
2009-06-05 7:31 AM
in reply to: #2185911

Dave how short of a swim is a short swim? Talking the length of the beach down & back or more?

2009-06-05 10:18 AM

I have a quick question. I signed up for the mountain bike division, but yesterday my mountain bike's shifting broke so I won't be able to compete with that bike. I got in touch with a friend who may allow me to borrow his bike, the only problem is that it's a road bike. Will I be able to switch divisions or will they not let me compete?
2009-06-05 11:41 AM

User image

Master
Ohio
Chad,
As short or as long as you'd like. I plan to swim for 30 minutes or so. That will leave us 30 min to get up to the beach parking lot and get bikes ready.

nvb,
It's been my experience that HFP is pretty good about letting you switch divisons. Let them know when you pick up your packet.

Edited by David tri's 2009-06-05 11:44 AM
2009-06-05 12:34 PM

Should be there by 11 if not I will see you in the water.
There will be myself and my training partner.
2009-06-05 2:16 PM

Veteran
Im in I will be there at 11. for the swim and then for the bike. Looking forward to it....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deer Creek Triathlon - Sprint : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 6