General Discussion Race Reports! » Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 00m 3s
Overall Rank = 947/3938
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 35/125
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Dallas with Lisa on saturday and picked up our packets. Met some friends and training partners for Dinner at an Italian restaurant. Drove to Gary's house and after chatting for a little while got to bed. Woke up about 5:30 am and got dressed ate a cliff bar and drank a bottle of water. Drank a second bottle of water in the car on the way to the race. Traffic was crazy and we found a garage to park in near the off ramp. Walked to the start and arrived about 15 min before then gun.
Event warmup:

The walk to the start would be the closest thing to a warmup. I taped my knee to help it out but figured most of my warm-up would come in the first couple miles.
Run
  • 4h 00m 3s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

The gun sounded and I was off on my first Marathon. I found the Training partners shortly after the gun. After the crowds made it past the finish line I was a little behind the 3:40 pace group. I was shooting to beat 3:30 but I wasn't too worried, it was early. I found Alan and Stan who I figured I would run with most of the way and we chatted and sang with the bands and ever so slightly sped up. The crowds kept the first mile around 9 minutes but most of the next 4 or 5 came between 7:30 and 7:45. I never really felt like I was hitting a groove which I wasn't thrilled about. I had been nursing a knee injury for about 3 weeks, a patella tendon injury via self diagnosis, and I had only 2 runs in in the 2 weeks prior to the race. My legs weren't loose because of it and I could tell. We all passed the 3:30 pace group around mile 7 and around 8 or 9 Stan and Alan had continued to speed up and I decided to fall back since I didn't want to speed up too much too fast. I ate a GU at mile 6, it seemed early but it was the right time. When I was deciding on my nutrition for the race I realized that even in my 20 mile runs I had been fueled on 2 gus and water for the entire workout. This didn't seem like it would be enough for this race. I figured every 6 miles at least I would eat a GU. By mile 10 I was really starting to feel tired, I stopped to use the restroom at the aid station and grabbed a gatorade and water like I had at many stations. I felt better for a little while but soon decided I was going to need the next GU at mile 11. This was new territory, I never felt this tired in 11 miles. Around 12 miles the 3:30 pace group had caught me and I decided I would keep with them. I hung on until the halfway mark, they were right on pace crossing right at 1:45. It didn't take too much longer that I had to stop and walk. My body felt exhausted, I kept saying I would make it to the next aid station but it didn't come fast enough. I gave myself a minute to walk at a fast pace. Walked at the next aid station as well, ate an orange slice and had gatorade and water too. I felt so hungry. For the next few miles I ran between aid stations and took in everything I could as I walked through. The stations were just over a mile apart so I told myself I needed to at least keep this up. I was out around the lake at this point and about to head back in where the wind would begin to seriously hurt the pace. Another guy came up and suggested we draft off each other for a while. We joined forces with another man woman, I assume husband and wife, he was helping her BQ, she needed 4 hours. He said he would pull us all. It was a welcome break, we stuck as a group till somewhere around mile 18 and I stuck with the guy that I first joined until a little after the mile 19 aid station. It was sponsored by hooters... they should all be sponsored by hooters :). I had to walk a little to let my stomach settle from the water and Gatorade. This is where the last hills began. There was a lot of uphill between mile 19 and 21. Folks were handing out Beer a little towards the top of one hill. By this point I figured I wasn't going to be reaching any amazing time so I'd enjoy all I could. I grabbed a cup of beer and had a sip. Tasted pretty good, people cheered. Finally got up the last of the hills. My calfs were close to cramping and my hips were really tired. I had been mostly running still up till mile 23. I hit mile 20 at 2:50 and still had visions of finishing under 3:40. That turned out to be beginners optimism. Around mile 23 the quads started to Cramp. I paused in my walk at the aid station to grab an orange and almost didn't get going again. A guy begin to join me in the walk run and we chatted as we went. He was on his 13th Marathon and I on my first so he had more Marathon stories. I hit mile 24 at 3:30 and thought I can still get under 4. I tried to walk faster and run when i could but every 100 yards my quads would severely cramp up. I kept trying to gut through all I could I passed up the mile 25 aid station and had to walk a little more, then I saw the 1 mile to go sign. I looked at my walking partner and said I'm going to run it in from here. He headed on ahead, he was a sprinter, he lived for the last mile. I got about half way through and had to walk again, gave myself 20 seconds and made my self start again. I could finally here the finish line and the clock was clicking close to 4 hours, I really wanted to beat that. I gave it all I could through the finish line. My run was more of a limp and I could feel the blisters on my feet. My right IT band kept me from bending my knee much at all and I was starving. I kept looking around for someone I knew, a guy handed me a medal, I never even realized there were finisher shirts until I saw Lisa's later. I took a picture with my walking partner and on my own and then went off to find some food.
What would you do differently?:

TRAIN. I did this on about 3 runs a week, and it was not enough. It led to the knee injury when I started doing longs runs and had me much less prepared then I'd like to be. I kept thinking my two 20 mile runs would get me through but my joints needed much more consistent running.
Post race
Warm down:

I quickly found the food and then headed inside the American Airlines Center and signed up for a massage. I ran into Lonnie, Stan and Alan on the floor of the Arena and chatted with them while I waited for the massage. When I tried to head back up to the massage area my right IT Band was killing me, I couldn't bend my leg at all. I hobbled to the medical tent and got some ice for it. After the ice I got a massage and then headed back to Gary's to take a shower.

Last updated: 2008-12-16 12:00 AM
Running
04:00:03 | 26.2 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 35/125
Overall: 947/3938
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-12-17 12:15 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon

2008-12-17 8:22 AM
in reply to: #1858020

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon
I am so proud of you - you did it!!! And the fact that you did it with an injury, not as much training as you wanted, etc... makes it even more impressive.

And I am still completely baffled that you were not camped out in the beer garden after you finished. I thought *for sure* I would find you there

Love you lots - congratulations - you are a marathoner!!!
2008-12-17 9:52 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

sorry about the traffic 

Hey great job out there, throw in the fact that you had some injuries going on, wind gust around 30 mph, and cramps..  what more could you ask for your 1st marathon right.    great meeting you.  Get those injuries under control and you will be a 3:30 person easily

2008-12-18 4:26 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Great job out there.  Way to tough it out.  I heard from some friends down there that conditions were less than ideal with the wind. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon Rss Feed