General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-05-23 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2169148

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread
atasic - 2009-05-22 8:46 PM
quadzilla2009 - 2009-05-22 8:26 PM Did the bike course today. 80 deg no wind and too many freaking hills. Whoever designed the bike route is a masachist! Wow what a challenge for 56 miles. I've never done more than an olympic and had never ridden more than 38 miles which have had some good hills like Longview or the Columbia sprint, but to have it spread out over 56 miles with each section unrelenting. No not steep grades too much but plenty of grinders. Mile 50 includes riding back up to the top of the dam. That has to be the longest most sustained incline, at mile 50! Besides the hills to get out of the marina at the start which are definetly hills miles 1-10 are fairly flat if I remember right. Miles 11 through 24(turnaround s shawnee) plenty of rolling hills, no breaks hardly at all. Miles 36 to 38 roughly has two steeper grades. Get somewhat of a break after that until you get to mile 50 at the dam which you are back in the park. I average 16.2 and had hoped to average 18. Today put into perspective not to have any timed goals for this race. I also realized I'm not nearly taking in enough calories. The guys I was riding with told me about the Ironman Cocktail. I will try that. Took me 3:29. I'm 6'3 225 hence my complaining about the hills. Good luck to all and have fun.

No, I don't think it's only you, it is a very humbling course to say the least. Keep in mind that there is a very hot but almost flat run after, that could turn very long and ugly depending on bike pacing and calorie intake choices made.

I just did it to myself. Hammered the bike and melted on the run. It was silly. I guess the only good thing is I have done it in training, hopefully I will not repeat it for the race.
I also have an intereseting thing or two to report. I was going to swim this morning at the lake, but I changed my mind pretty quickly. First, the beach is closed. Than I repositioned to the docks, there were hardly any boats at 7am, very calm and beautifull for ows. Well, as I was about the get into the water at the north dock, 2 snakes showed their heads wright above the water, 3ft in front of me at the dock. I don't know snakes well ( I intend to keep it that way), but they sure both had a triangle shaped head, brown on top, whitish on the bottom. They were not affraid of people, I will tell you that as they did not leave. I did. I chickend out. They went for their swim, I went for my bike.

I now know for sure that Jared will be leading the swim during the race anyway. Not that he is just a fast swimmer, but he will be brave too. It ain't going to be me. Not that I can anyway.
So after my running meltdown, I packed up, got in the car, road leading back out of the park, as soon as I made the first corner out of docks area, about 4-5ft long rattle snake is casually crossing the road. She was not in the hurry at all as there were several other cars waiting for madam to clear the road. I just about s..t in my pants and I am in the car. Man, me and snakes, we just don't mix that well.
So anyway, not so memorable performance today, but some memorable sightings for sure.
Fishies or water speed demons, get ready to disperese some water snakes for the rest of us on the race day.

Oh, by the way, did I fail to mention that the run was hot. Ice on the race day will help.

2009-05-23 4:39 PM
in reply to: #2169115

User image

Regular
What is the Ironman Cocktail?  Just curious.

Thanks,

Justin
2009-05-23 5:56 PM
in reply to: #1897474

User image

Regular
Tampa, Florida
I did a quick internet search for info on the IM Cocktail, and I found this previous BT thread:
https://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=28955&posts=14

Here is another link with one recipe:
http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/imcocktail.html

If anyone has tried these, it would be interesting to hear if they are effective.

Looking forward to the race and hopefully avoiding those snakes, although most Kansas water snakes are harmless (just FYI). 
2009-05-23 6:11 PM
in reply to: #2170011

Extreme Veteran
OKC

That was a nice thread.

I use bulk maltodextrin, combined with gatorade (for a little flavor / sweetness) and morton lite salt (sodium + potassium). I've used it on long bricks with good results.

2009-05-23 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2169831

User image

Expert
Missouri

atasic - 2009-05-23 2:49 PM
atasic - 2009-05-22 8:46 PM
quadzilla2009 - 2009-05-22 8:26 PM Did the bike course today. 80 deg no wind and too many freaking hills. Whoever designed the bike route is a masachist! Wow what a challenge for 56 miles. I've never done more than an olympic and had never ridden more than 38 miles which have had some good hills like Longview or the Columbia sprint, but to have it spread out over 56 miles with each section unrelenting. No not steep grades too much but plenty of grinders. Mile 50 includes riding back up to the top of the dam. That has to be the longest most sustained incline, at mile 50! Besides the hills to get out of the marina at the start which are definetly hills miles 1-10 are fairly flat if I remember right. Miles 11 through 24(turnaround s shawnee) plenty of rolling hills, no breaks hardly at all. Miles 36 to 38 roughly has two steeper grades. Get somewhat of a break after that until you get to mile 50 at the dam which you are back in the park. I average 16.2 and had hoped to average 18. Today put into perspective not to have any timed goals for this race. I also realized I'm not nearly taking in enough calories. The guys I was riding with told me about the Ironman Cocktail. I will try that. Took me 3:29. I'm 6'3 225 hence my complaining about the hills. Good luck to all and have fun.

No, I don't think it's only you, it is a very humbling course to say the least. Keep in mind that there is a very hot but almost flat run after, that could turn very long and ugly depending on bike pacing and calorie intake choices made.

I just did it to myself. Hammered the bike and melted on the run. It was silly. I guess the only good thing is I have done it in training, hopefully I will not repeat it for the race.
I also have an intereseting thing or two to report. I was going to swim this morning at the lake, but I changed my mind pretty quickly. First, the beach is closed. Than I repositioned to the docks, there were hardly any boats at 7am, very calm and beautifull for ows. Well, as I was about the get into the water at the north dock, 2 snakes showed their heads wright above the water, 3ft in front of me at the dock. I don't know snakes well ( I intend to keep it that way), but they sure both had a triangle shaped head, brown on top, whitish on the bottom. They were not affraid of people, I will tell you that as they did not leave. I did. I chickend out. They went for their swim, I went for my bike.

I now know for sure that Jared will be leading the swim during the race anyway. Not that he is just a fast swimmer, but he will be brave too. It ain't going to be me. Not that I can anyway.
So after my running meltdown, I packed up, got in the car, road leading back out of the park, as soon as I made the first corner out of docks area, about 4-5ft long rattle snake is casually crossing the road. She was not in the hurry at all as there were several other cars waiting for madam to clear the road. I just about s..t in my pants and I am in the car. Man, me and snakes, we just don't mix that well.
So anyway, not so memorable performance today, but some memorable sightings for sure.
Fishies or water speed demons, get ready to disperese some water snakes for the rest of us on the race day.

Oh, by the way, did I fail to mention that the run was hot. Ice on the race day will help.

I doubt I will be leading on the swim. . but if snakes scare you then I will be sure to release them on the bike and run course.  Need something to slow you down!  

You probably saw a couple of water mocisins (sp?).  They are poisonous.  Don't they make the pros go first!!!!   

2009-05-23 8:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas

Yeah, I think they were. They sure looked like it. I chickened out after going above and beyond to zip up my westuit by myself. I was mad. It was a workout in itself.

2009-05-25 12:18 PM

Veteran
Beatrice, Nebraska
Any more rumors of any pros coming, or did Chrissie scare them all off?
2009-05-25 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2171805

Off the top of my head...I am leaving out a ton though...
Luke Bell
Brandon Marsh
Simon Thompson
Tim O'Donnell
Leon Griffin
Sergio Marques

Pip Taylor
Nina Kraft

We will get a mass of Pros' here in the next few weeks as they figure out where everyone is going...there are three 70.3's on the same day along with Alcatraz.
2009-05-25 1:24 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Rode the course yesterday and like everyone else has said it is humbling. Even being the 5th time I've ridden these roads, I was waaaay more trashed than I should have been by the end. That long huge hill right before the dam is crazy and you really need to save something for that. It's deceiving, too... it doesn't look that steep but you will slow to a crawl.

We were lucky that we had a bit of cloud cover yesterday afternoon, but two others in our group rode in the morning and they had no cloud cover at all - probably 85 degrees out. Tom started with three bottles + an aerobottle and said he needed more. Hydration will be key on race day for sure.

2009-05-25 8:35 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Cmon guys, it not like we have never ridden on a hill before.  I managed to go 19.1 mph on the bike course the day after the big storm (20mph winds steady).  I knew we were in trouble when I was averaging 28-29 with a HR of 140 on the dam. (My overall HR for the day was around 165)(Also, that is with just a plain Roadbike without clipons and I did not draft at during the ride. I wanted to see where I was at). 

BTW Congrats to me for taking first at a tri over the weekend. (Gateway Triathlon) They say I my avg. for the bike was 24mph but I think the 20k was a bit short and I avg. around 23.  Hopefully 20mph is doable at Kansas. 

This was the first race I ever threw-up after.  It was my first time with an aero drink bottle and I just kept on drinking and drinking.  Right after the 5k run, I almost hit this little kid with a bunch of accelerade.  The mom said, "let's give guy a little room" as she moved the stroller a couple feet away. (Good times)

And since there are really only 3-4 hills with any tough gradient we should be able to pound the hills in the aero position.  The largest hill that I have managed to stay in my aero position was avg 7-8% for .42 miles.(Garmin edge 305)

Edited by xcrunner2010 2009-05-25 8:38 PM
2009-05-26 5:29 AM

Extreme Veteran
OKC

There's no such thing as a hill too big, there's only improper gearing.

I rode this course last year with a compact crank (50-34) and a 12-27 cassette, and I have a decent w/kg. This was overkill, but not having ridden the course I wanted extra gears if I needed them. This year I'll go compact & 11-23.

As we all know, riding hilly courses requires somewhat of a different demand than riding flats. Surge/Rest/Repeat... I wrote a little article describing a trainer routine for tackling hills here, this is good prep for riding a course like KS.

Of course, you will go slower despite what some on here may claim -- look at the pro times for KS then compare to a flat course like clearwater -- 10-20% slower.

2009-05-26 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2172365

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
xcrunner2010 - 2009-05-25 9:35 PM

Cmon guys, it not like we have never ridden on a hill before.  I managed to go 19.1 mph on the bike course the day after the big storm (20mph winds steady).  I knew we were in trouble when I was averaging 28-29 with a HR of 140 on the dam. (My overall HR for the day was around 165)(Also, that is with just a plain Roadbike without clipons and I did not draft at during the ride. I wanted to see where I was at). 

BTW Congrats to me for taking first at a tri over the weekend. (Gateway Triathlon) They say I my avg. for the bike was 24mph but I think the 20k was a bit short and I avg. around 23.  Hopefully 20mph is doable at Kansas. 

This was the first race I ever threw-up after.  It was my first time with an aero drink bottle and I just kept on drinking and drinking.  Right after the 5k run, I almost hit this little kid with a bunch of accelerade.  The mom said, "let's give guy a little room" as she moved the stroller a couple feet away. (Good times)

And since there are really only 3-4 hills with any tough gradient we should be able to pound the hills in the aero position.  The largest hill that I have managed to stay in my aero position was avg 7-8% for .42 miles.(Garmin edge 305)

Of course, everyone has ridden a hill before, or at least they will on June 14th! No one is saying the course is impossible, it just is NOT a flat course, and it's NOT easy - it's a fun, exciting challenge. There are great advantages to this hillier course- great roads, no drafting, and the shape of the course ensures that you get to check out lots of people while you're out riding, which is always fun .

But it will crush your legs if you don't watch it on the hills. Use the correct gearing, keep your cadence consistent, and don't blow up on the bike course. If you look at the bike and run times last year of both the pro's and the AGers, not only were the bike splits significanlty slower, but A LOT of people had really slow runs (compared to what you see at a flat course).

If you glance at the results, there are only 20 people (men and women) that broke 1:30 on the run! Also, Terrenzo Bozzone, the overall winner at both Kansas and Clearwater, did 3:56 at KS and 3:40 at Clearwater- HUGE difference, to say the least, and it's mostly due to the course. To say that the hills aren't that bad, or that there are only 3-4 tough climbs is not giving the course credit. But it's not like we're climbing 8% for 56 miles, either (thank god).

Anyways, I think having the right amount of fear will get you motivated and pumped for the race, just don't freak yourself out, either. I can not WAIT to race! It is going to be an awesome weekend!!
2009-05-26 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2172365

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
xcrunner2010 - 2009-05-25 8:35 PM Cmon guys, it not like we have never ridden on a hill before.  I managed to go 19.1 mph on the bike course the day after the big storm (20mph winds steady).  I knew we were in trouble when I was averaging 28-29 with a HR of 140 on the dam. (My overall HR for the day was around 165)(Also, that is with just a plain Roadbike without clipons and I did not draft at during the ride. I wanted to see where I was at). 

Congratulations on your accomplishments.
Not everyone is participating at your level though. We all have different capabilities and interpret the course differently, it's entirely dependent on where you train, where you come from. And if you live in the Wichita area and have only trained in that area, you really never HAVE ridden hills like that. Ever. So let's not assume "we've all ridden on a hill" like these before.

There is a reason I traveled twice before the race to ride this course.
2009-05-26 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
I like hills.
2009-05-26 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2173338

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
DickDime - 2009-05-26 1:26 PM

I like hills.

Go swim, Mr. Billy Goat.
2009-05-27 5:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

I know this is a long shot . . . but does anyone know of any hotels that still have rooms in Lawrence?  I've been recovering from injury - unsure I could do the race - so I dodn't book anything.  Now I know I'm in (YA!!!) but I need a room!!!

Thanks!
Renee

2009-05-27 7:50 PM
in reply to: #2176847

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
rreischl - 2009-05-27 6:21 PM

I know this is a long shot . . . but does anyone know of any hotels that still have rooms in Lawrence?  I've been recovering from injury - unsure I could do the race - so I dodn't book anything.  Now I know I'm in (YA!!!) but I need a room!!!

Thanks!
Renee

If you can't find a room, there's always camping- a bunch of us are tenting it!

Edited by jazz82482 2009-05-27 7:50 PM
2009-05-27 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2176847

User image

Regular
Tampa, Florida
rreischl - 2009-05-27 5:21 PM

Thanks!
Renee

I would recommend looking in Topeka.  It is only 15 minutes or so from Lawrence, but the race site has very easy access off the turnpike.  I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing you may be able to get there almost as fast coming from Topeka rather than fighting all the traffic coming to the race from Lawrence.  Topeka also has plenty of good hotels to choose from. 

As for me, I am staying at a nice bed and breakfast in Topeka with my family, although I won't be around for the breakfast.  Cool 
2009-05-27 9:07 PM
in reply to: #2177081

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

jazz82482 - 2009-05-27 7:50 PM
rreischl - 2009-05-27 6:21 PM

Thanks!
Renee

If you can't find a room, there's always camping- a bunch of us are tenting it!

I'll keep that in mind - although I've gotta admit it's low on my option list, LOL!  I'm not much of a camper!!  It's been a long LONG time!  Thanks!

2009-05-27 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2177174

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

cmlane - 2009-05-27 8:45 PM
rreischl - 2009-05-27 5:21 PM

Thanks!
Renee

I would recommend looking in Topeka.  It is only 15 minutes or so from Lawrence, but the race site has very easy access off the turnpike.  I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing you may be able to get there almost as fast coming from Topeka rather than fighting all the traffic coming to the race from Lawrence.  Topeka also has plenty of good hotels to choose from. 

As for me, I am staying at a nice bed and breakfast in Topeka with my family, although I won't be around for the breakfast.  Cool 

Thanks for the tip - I was looking at Topeka and Olathe.  I don't know the area at all, but from what you've said Topeka doesn't sound like too bad of a trip.  Olathe looks to be similar distance - any idea if it would be a shorter / longer drive on race day?

Not going to make breakfast, huh?  LOL!  I guess not at that hour!

Thanks!
Renee

2009-05-27 9:41 PM
in reply to: #2177174

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
cmlane - 2009-05-27 8:45 PM

I knew it!!!

2009-05-27 9:41 PM

New user

I live in central Topeka.  It takes me 30 mins to get to Clinton Lake.  If you get a hotel on the East side, should be 20-25 mins.  Not sure how nice/safe East side hotels are though. 
The only thing with driving from Olathe, K10 doesn't go all the way around.  If you take K10 from Olathe (or Lenexa or Overland park) you have to go all the way through Lawrence to get to Clinton.
2009-05-28 6:45 AM
in reply to: #2177302

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
i would vote topeka... live in KC and its a decent drive. going to lawrence today for work and ill see if there is any hotels on the way there

ALSO... IM GOING TO RIDE THE COURSE TODAY 2:00 of it at least starting as close to 5:00-5:30 as I can. the plan is to ride out to the first out and back and turn around and go back to the start. This would be knocking out the 2nd out and back down in the vally.

If any one wants to ride with me let me know and we can set up a place time to meet. I usually park at the information building right before you enter the park
2009-05-28 8:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate the feedback!  I went ahead and booked a room in Topeka.  Getting excited now!!!

HAPPY TRAINING!!!

Renee

2009-05-28 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2177774

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
there should also be rooms in baldwin city and desoto.

no takers on the bike ride tonight yet???
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 14