General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-05-20 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2162902

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread
Tell3131 - 2009-05-20 9:17 AM

lisac957 - 2009-05-20 9:15 AMWow the two trantisions sound like a huge pain. In the FAQ it said they are 1/4 mile apart. So athletes will be running back and forth setting things up at both transitions? Then walk a mile to the swim start? Uuughh. WHY????

And again, it would be super fabulous if they would EXPLAIN THIS STUFF on the web site or in athlete communications, especially since it sounds like this setup will be A) different than last year, and B) different than 99% of other triathlons. We are three weeks out and it sounds like no one really knows for sure what the setup will be. We're good at guessing, but there has been no real information provided at all.

There will be two transitions. . they are a 1/4 mile apart (I may have exaggerated by the 1 mile comment).  You will check your bike in on Saturday to T1. . then Sunday morning you will set up your T2 and then walk down (with wetsuit and goggles/cap, nutrition on bike, bottles) and finsih the setup of T1 and then you will swim from there (this is the parking lot right next to the water).  Then you will exit the swim, get on your bike and bike out, then bike into T2 and run from T2.  I don't think it is that BIG of a deal, yes it is not like most other triathlons.  Just take a little more planning/thinking on our part, but in the end, the transitions of putting things on/taking things off, will be the same, just done in different locations. 

Now, I am not sure about change tents, but one shouldn't need to change for a half ironman. 

I am sure this will be cleared up by Ryan shortly.  Not sure why it was not communicated in the Athlete Guide, maybe there will be a supplement that does.  . .

I understand, I just think it's pretty late in the game to be making a major change like that without communicating it. I know it won't be a big deal in the end, it would just be courteous to let athletes know what the situation will be, especially if people did it last year and are expecting the same set up.

I just want solid information, that's all. We are still guessing, remember.

2009-05-20 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2162991

User image

Expert
Missouri

Oh, I agree. . . maybe Ryan just forgot.  There are a lot of logistics to work out.  Hopefully it will all be explained in detail shortly.   

Happy and Safe Training

Edited by Tell3131 2009-05-20 9:55 AM
2009-05-20 12:01 PM
in reply to: #1897474

User image

Regular
Thanks! I mean I am not suprised, I just thought it was worth asking.  I know that some of the smaller races have some kind of option, but I have never needed to ask for a big race....but it makes sense that it doesI will just concentrate on getting better.

Thanks! Enjoy!
2009-05-20 8:56 PM
in reply to: #2162991

User image

Expert
St. Louis
I've known it had two transitions for longtime, was that new?
2009-05-20 10:11 PM
in reply to: #2164796

User image

Expert
Missouri

I think some of us just hadn't heard.  Not sure if it was new or not. 

2009-05-20 10:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
I intend to swim this Saturday early morning wright at T1 at Clinton lake, entry at north boat ramp, exit at south boat ramp. If anyone has done this here or is knowledgable of the place, can you share some thoughts. I hope I will not get arrested or cought in fish lines. Any other known or suspected hazards that I should know. Thanks.

2009-05-21 7:58 AM
in reply to: #2164960

atasic - 2009-05-20 10:46 PM

I intend to swim this Saturday early morning wright at T1 at Clinton lake, entry at north boat ramp, exit at south boat ramp. If anyone has done this here or is knowledgable of the place, can you share some thoughts. I hope I will not get arrested or cought in fish lines. Any other known or suspected hazards that I should know. Thanks.

You cannot swim from the North/South boat docks...you will get run over by a boat!

It is not a swimming beach...only on race day.

There are other swim beaches at Clinton Lake if you want to swim though.
Clinton State Beach and Bloomington Beach.

Be careful

2009-05-21 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
Thanks for the warning. I will than move my swim to the beach.
2009-05-21 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2164796

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
xcrunner2010 - 2009-05-20 8:56 PM I've known it had two transitions for longtime, was that new?

It is definitely new since last year.

And again, nowhere has anyone official explained how it will work. I assumed (in my first post about this) that since we'll have two transitions we would have drop bags and volunteers to re-rack our bikes like they do at full IMs with 2 transitions and other 70.3s with 2 transitions (like Austin). So the sheer fact that they are doing it completely different than other races (according to our speculation) with 2 transitions just begs for some sort of an explanation, which we have yet to see.
2009-05-21 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2165517

Extreme Veteran
OKC

lisac957 - 2009-05-21 9:12 AM
xcrunner2010 - 2009-05-20 8:56 PM I've known it had two transitions for longtime, was that new?

And again, nowhere has anyone official explained how it will work. I assumed (in my first post about this) that since we'll have two transitions we would have drop bags and volunteers to re-rack our bikes like they do at full IMs with 2 transitions and other 70.3s with 2 transitions (like Austin). So the sheer fact that they are doing it completely different than other races (according to our speculation) with 2 transitions just begs for some sort of an explanation, which we have yet to see.

First I've heard of it.

How did it work at Austin?

2009-05-21 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2165517

OK...I am going to try and chalk this up to people just being excited and nervous about the race...lets all relax a bit.

It's not like I am a stranger on here. [email protected]
You have my email. (It may take a few emails though...I am averaging around 250 a day!)
My pm works on here. If you have a question...please email me.

But I understand...if you emailed me directly and got a direct answer...what would there be to talk about? Sorry...just poking a little fun

Day before the race:
Drop off your bike at T-1.

Race Day:
Drop off your run gear at T-2...on your way to T-1.

After Race:
Pick up swim gear at T-1.

Simple enough.

The fact that it is at a different location then last year has been on the website since January...as well as the fact that it is a "two" transition race. While technically it is a two transition race...the two transitions are within a 1/4 of a mile of each other.

2009-05-21 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2166152

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
rrobinson - 2009-05-21 12:28 PM

OK...I am going to try and chalk this up to people just being excited and nervous about the race...lets all relax a bit.

As an outsider looking in, that's what I thought was going on too.

Pretty soon the projected race-day weather forecast will consume the minds of many of the athletes and they won't care if they have to walk 1/4 mile to a different transition area.
2009-05-21 12:42 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Thanks for posting, Ryan.
I admit, being a communications professional, that I probably expect too much out of people running things, communication-wise. (or do I?) But just looking at this sample group on BT who most had no idea, don't you think some sort of communication should go out about it to the athletes? Talk about a surprise on race day...

To whoever asked how Austin is doing it... this is the first year they are doing two transitions but have explained it  as such:

Swim at Decker, and bike from there. FINISH the bike at the Expo Center for T2. There's a huge covered/fenced area for T2 to rack your bike (we'd do bike handlers, so you wouldn't re-rack your bike, like Kona) and you'd grab your bag to put your running shoes on, etc in the changing tent. Then, you'd begin the run by running through the arena (there's a huge ramp right through the middle of the arena). For the second loop, you'd also run through it. Then, you'd finish in the arena, like a ROCK STAR.

This would accomplish a couple of things...transition would be grass at the decker (we'd move it to the lower level) and concrete at Expo, so no dust. You'd also be RIGHT at your car after the race, and wouldn't have to walk back to your car from Decker Lake. It'd also be much better for families, with plenty of food, seats, etc.

It'd be a very unique finish, and make things easier on you all. We'd transport your swim gear from T1 back to the expo center following the swim.
2009-05-21 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2166190

Extreme Veteran
OKC

Bripod - 2009-05-21 12:39 PM
rrobinson - 2009-05-21 12:28 PM OK...I am going to try and chalk this up to people just being excited and nervous about the race...lets all relax a bit.
As an outsider looking in, that's what I thought was going on too. Pretty soon the projected race-day weather forecast will consume the minds of many of the athletes and they won't care if they have to walk 1/4 mile to a different transition area.

Funny, because it's true!

2009-05-21 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2166201

lisac957 - 2009-05-21 12:42 PM

Thanks for posting, Ryan.
I admit, being a communications professional, that I probably expect too much out of people running things, communication-wise. (or do I?) But just looking at this sample group on BT who most had no idea, don't you think some sort of communication should go out about it to the athletes? Talk about a surprise on race day...

To whoever asked how Austin is doing it... this is the first year they are doing two transitions but have explained it  as such:

Swim at Decker, and bike from there. FINISH the bike at the Expo Center for T2. There's a huge covered/fenced area for T2 to rack your bike (we'd do bike handlers, so you wouldn't re-rack your bike, like Kona) and you'd grab your bag to put your running shoes on, etc in the changing tent. Then, you'd begin the run by running through the arena (there's a huge ramp right through the middle of the arena). For the second loop, you'd also run through it. Then, you'd finish in the arena, like a ROCK STAR.

This would accomplish a couple of things...transition would be grass at the decker (we'd move it to the lower level) and concrete at Expo, so no dust. You'd also be RIGHT at your car after the race, and wouldn't have to walk back to your car from Decker Lake. It'd also be much better for families, with plenty of food, seats, etc.

It'd be a very unique finish, and make things easier on you all. We'd transport your swim gear from T1 back to the expo center following the swim.

Wow...Lisa.
I hope I never make it on your badside...you just won't let me off the hook. Your hired

Especially quoting KJ's race...you really know how to twist the knife! I am sure that KJ is getting a kick out of it. He would be the first to admit though...that sometimes a RD can't do anything right in the athlete's eyes. Too much info gets your inbox flooded...too little leaves room for speculation.

Not to keep beating a deadhorse...but what is going on in Austin is completely different then what is going on in Kansas as far as transitions.

If you have anymore questions you have my direct email...it is probably the most efficient way of communicating! ...zing!

2009-05-21 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2166152

User image

Expert
Missouri
rrobinson - 2009-05-21 12:28 PM

OK...I am going to try and chalk this up to people just being excited and nervous about the race...lets all relax a bit. It's not like I am a stranger on here. [email protected] You have my email. (It may take a few emails though...I am averaging around 250 a day!) My pm works on here. If you have a question...please email me. But I understand...if you emailed me directly and got a direct answer...what would there be to talk about? Sorry...just poking a little fun Day before the race: Drop off your bike at T-1. Race Day: Drop off your run gear at T-2...on your way to T-1. After Race: Pick up swim gear at T-1. Simple enough. The fact that it is at a different location then last year has been on the website since January...as well as the fact that it is a "two" transition race. While technically it is a two transition race...the two transitions are within a 1/4 of a mile of each other.

I was right!  Do I win a prize?   

The main thing to remember everyone is that we all have to go 70.3 miles, we will all have two transition areas, we are all in this together.   I will have all of my stuff set up just like everyone else and will have to walk down to the swim start just like everyone else.   Also, since I will not be in first place at any point in this race, I will just follow whatever the person in front of me does.   

Now. . .let's get back to training.  Monster weekend coming up!!!!

2009-05-21 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2166325

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

rrobinson - 2009-05-21 1:15 PM
lisac957 - 2009-05-21 12:42 PM Thanks for posting, Ryan.

Wow...Lisa. I hope I never make it on your badside...you just won't let me off the hook. Your hired Especially quoting KJ's race...you really know how to twist the knife! I am sure that KJ is getting a kick out of it. He would be the first to admit though...that sometimes a RD can't do anything right in the athlete's eyes. Too much info gets your inbox flooded...too little leaves room for speculation. Not to keep beating a deadhorse...but what is going on in Austin is completely different then what is going on in Kansas as far as transitions. If you have anymore questions you have my direct email...it is probably the most efficient way of communicating! ...zing!

Awww I'm sorry. I was just trying to let the other poster know how another 2-transition race was working since they asked. Didn't mean to ruffle any competition feathers

I am confident that IMKS will be AWESOME and go off without a hitch! I have stepped back from the ledge and am taking a deeeeeep breath! I promise. Innocent

PS I would work doing communications for a multisport race company ANY DAY! Talk about combining my passions.... drool. Want my resume?

2009-05-21 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2166325

New user

Just one other question for the benefit of all involved - will we have a specific spot in T2 to have our run gear and rack our bike, or will it be a first-come, first-serve type of setup?

This will be my first Ironman event, so I'm not familiar with how it will all work! 
2009-05-21 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2166334

User image

New user
Kansas City Metro
Tell3131 - 2009-05-21 1:17 PM  

The main thing to remember everyone is that we all have to go 70.3 miles, we will all have two transition areas, we are all in this together.   I will have all of my stuff set up just like everyone else and will have to walk down to the swim start just like everyone else.   Also, since I will not be in first place at any point in this race, I will just follow whatever the person in front of me does.   

Now. . .let's get back to training.  Monster weekend coming up!!!!

Couldn't have said beter myself
2009-05-21 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Ooo! I have a question! And it has NOTHING to do with transitions (and not camping, either )

How many female pro's are racing?? Just curious....
2009-05-21 5:35 PM
in reply to: #2166334

User image

Extreme Veteran

Tell3131 - 2009-05-21 1:17 PM Also, since I will not be in first place at any point in this race, I will just follow whatever the person in front of me does.   

Yeah, but what if one of the guys/gals in first or second makes a wrong turn? You'll have to flip a coin to decide which one to follow.

Certainly plenty of time to adjust for any packing/setup plans that might need to be taken into account, but if it hasn't already been added, a description on the web site would probably help avoid suprises for people who don't frequent BT.

2009-05-22 7:05 PM
in reply to: #2166919

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
i ran on the course today at 2 pm... super hot roads and 0 shade
2009-05-22 8:26 PM

Did the bike course today. 80 deg no wind and too many freaking hills. Whoever designed the bike route is a masachist! Wow what a challenge for 56 miles. I've never done more than an olympic and had never ridden more than 38 miles which have had some good hills like Longview or the Columbia sprint, but to have it spread out over 56 miles with each section unrelenting. No not steep grades too much but plenty of grinders. Mile 50 includes riding back up to the top of the dam. That has to be the longest most sustained incline, at mile 50! Besides the hills to get out of the marina at the start which are definetly hills miles 1-10 are fairly flat if I remember right. Miles 11 through 24(turnaround s shawnee) plenty of rolling hills, no breaks hardly at all. Miles 36 to 38 roughly has two steeper grades. Get somewhat of a break after that until you get to mile 50 at the dam which you are back in the park. I average 16.2 and had hoped to average 18. Today put into perspective not to have any timed goals for this race. I also realized I'm not nearly taking in enough calories. The guys I was riding with told me about the Ironman Cocktail. I will try that. Took me 3:29. I'm 6'3 225 hence my complaining about the hills. Good luck to all and have fun.

Edited by quadzilla2009 2009-05-22 8:28 PM
2009-05-22 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2169115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
quadzilla2009 - 2009-05-22 8:26 PM Did the bike course today. 80 deg no wind and too many freaking hills. Whoever designed the bike route is a masachist! Wow what a challenge for 56 miles. I've never done more than an olympic and had never ridden more than 38 miles which have had some good hills like Longview or the Columbia sprint, but to have it spread out over 56 miles with each section unrelenting. No not steep grades too much but plenty of grinders. Mile 50 includes riding back up to the top of the dam. That has to be the longest most sustained incline, at mile 50! Besides the hills to get out of the marina at the start which are definetly hills miles 1-10 are fairly flat if I remember right. Miles 11 through 24(turnaround s shawnee) plenty of rolling hills, no breaks hardly at all. Miles 36 to 38 roughly has two steeper grades. Get somewhat of a break after that until you get to mile 50 at the dam which you are back in the park. I average 16.2 and had hoped to average 18. Today put into perspective not to have any timed goals for this race. I also realized I'm not nearly taking in enough calories. The guys I was riding with told me about the Ironman Cocktail. I will try that. Took me 3:29. I'm 6'3 225 hence my complaining about the hills. Good luck to all and have fun.

No, I don't think it's only you, it is a very humbling course to say the least. Keep in mind that there is a very hot but almost flat run after, that could turn very long and ugly depending on bike pacing and calorie intake choices made.
2009-05-22 10:59 PM
in reply to: #2169148

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
ironman cocktail???? i need more calories as well... fill us in!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 14