General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Auburn "World's Toughest Half" Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-10 11:40 AM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Subject: Auburn "World's Toughest Half" Triathlon : Official Thread

Gulp....   I just signed up for this race, when I realized that the Vineman 1/2 was sold out.   Then I looked at the bike profile.  Holy Smokes, I have a little work to do to get ready for this!!!

Who else is in???

2009-01-10 12:39 PM
in reply to: #1899555

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Auburn "World's Toughest Half" Triathlon : Official Thread
I'm not signed up and don't plan to.  But do you have a link to read about the race?  
2009-01-10 12:45 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
slow&steady - 2009-01-10 9:40 AM

Gulp....   I just signed up for this race, when I realized that the Vineman 1/2 was sold out.   Then I looked at the bike profile.  Holy Smokes, I have a little work to do to get ready for this!!!

Who else is in???

I don't think a lot of BTers do this race, but I have a couple good friends who do it almost every year and they like it alot. Also, one of the people in my BT mentor group last summer did the Oly at Auburn...she said the course is definitely tough, but fun. Doesn't fit my schedule this year, but I'll probably do it next year. Good luck!
2009-01-11 9:32 PM
in reply to: #1899631

User image

Expert
Durham, CA

jonathan22 - 2009-01-10 9:39 AM I'm not signed up and don't plan to.  But do you have a link to read about the race?  

Here is the website - http://www.auburntriathlon.com/longcourse/longcourseindex.shtml

Also, here is the race link info....

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/directory/link-detail.asp?linkid=4262

That's about all I know about it at this point... 

2009-01-11 9:54 PM

Master
portland, or
I have it on my schedule but haven't registered yet. I've done it twice before. 2004 and 2008. It's a great event.

Scott
2009-01-13 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA

Here is the link to a race video from 2008.  The only suprise was the run portion, that really looks like it is going to be a "challenge".  Also a little curious about the swim, if that will be impacted by our current drought....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyGC8OqE60s

The other suprising thing to me is how small a field of contestants - last year the 1/2 only had 224 total contestants.  Out of the 224, only 178 finished (20% did not finish)

2009-01-13 8:25 PM

User image

Expert
I've also done this race a couple of times, 2006 & 2007, and I live close enough to the race venue to train on the course. I haven't signed up yet, but it's on my list. I'm not yet sure if I'll go for the Tri or the Du. Might depend on whether the Long Course Du Nationals are in the USA or not.

The bike is killer. No doubt. If you have time to come down and ride the course, do it. Often. And if you like, let me know and I'll show you the way. I've ridden the course countless times (and I should be in shape enough to ride it again soon).

From what I understand, the run course has changed from previous years and is now pretty flat. I haven't scoped it all out yet, but should be nothing compared to what it was a couple years ago.

There may be a problem with the swim. I haven't been down to that portion of the lake yet, but other parts of the lake are getting very low. It's not just a drought issue, it's also a water management issue. If those in charge decide to do so, they could let the lake fill up and not let so much water out. Not sure what's going to happen. If you remind me, I'll keep you updated whenever I ride by the lake.

Regardless of how difficult it is, it's a great race. Brad Kearns is a standup comedian and goes from before 7am until after 3pm non-stop. He also runs a good show, complete with ice water sponges, cold Cytomax, and lots of volunteers. It's got a grass-roots feel like the web site says -- no major commercial stuff, but is not skimpy on the athlete support like some "grass-roots" races are. It's fun that some world-class people show up, too.
2009-01-15 1:31 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
I did the oly last year and it was 100 degrees, no kidding! The lake was beautiful and a nice temperature (72 or so). The run was definitely not flat unless I was hallucinating. It goes down a hard trail into a canyon and that was actually the nice part, because it was shady there, but then it pops out onto roads...hot, melting hot roads, and there are definitely some hills that seem rather endless. What goes down, must come up. Did I mention it was 100 degrees? The half is two loops of the oly course, plus a little extra. Oh, and the bike was very challenging, technical and hilly with some great descents...scenic and serene during the first part of the oly, then out near the freeway where the wind just sucks you dry.

It's a great race, very well run and supported and I want to do the Half one of these years, but for my first HIM, I am choosing Vineman this summer.

Good luck all
2009-01-15 8:37 AM
in reply to: #1908847

User image

Expert
Durham, CA

kt65 - 2009-01-14 10:31 PM I did the oly last year and it was 100 degrees, no kidding! The lake was beautiful and a nice temperature (72 or so). The run was definitely not flat unless I was hallucinating. It goes down a hard trail into a canyon and that was actually the nice part, because it was shady there, but then it pops out onto roads...hot, melting hot roads, and there are definitely some hills that seem rather endless. What goes down, must come up. Did I mention it was 100 degrees? The half is two loops of the oly course, plus a little extra. Oh, and the bike was very challenging, technical and hilly with some great descents...scenic and serene during the first part of the oly, then out near the freeway where the wind just sucks you dry. It's a great race, very well run and supported and I want to do the Half one of these years, but for my first HIM, I am choosing Vineman this summer. Good luck all

Thanks for the info....  I think you will enjoy Vineman, I did it twice, it is an awesome race.  It, too, can be warm - in 2007, it was 94 degrees when I left T2.  That was a long 13.1 miles....   Last year was much more civilized, I believe the temps stayed in the 80's.  I have a couple of race reports up if you want to see my "experiances".

By the way, great race report!!!  I loved the wetsuit saga, and the toe warmer thing...  It's good to be able to have a sense of humor when things do not go "just right". 

Dennis

2009-05-02 11:06 AM
in reply to: #1906001

User image

Expert
Durham, CA

ellismichael - 2009-01-13 5:25 PM I've also done this race a couple of times, 2006 & 2007, and I live close enough to the race venue to train on the course. I haven't signed up yet, but it's on my list. I'm not yet sure if I'll go for the Tri or the Du. Might depend on whether the Long Course Du Nationals are in the USA or not. The bike is killer. No doubt. If you have time to come down and ride the course, do it. Often. And if you like, let me know and I'll show you the way. I've ridden the course countless times (and I should be in shape enough to ride it again soon). From what I understand, the run course has changed from previous years and is now pretty flat. I haven't scoped it all out yet, but should be nothing compared to what it was a couple years ago. There may be a problem with the swim. I haven't been down to that portion of the lake yet, but other parts of the lake are getting very low. It's not just a drought issue, it's also a water management issue. If those in charge decide to do so, they could let the lake fill up and not let so much water out. Not sure what's going to happen. If you remind me, I'll keep you updated whenever I ride by the lake. Regardless of how difficult it is, it's a great race. Brad Kearns is a standup comedian and goes from before 7am until after 3pm non-stop. He also runs a good show, complete with ice water sponges, cold Cytomax, and lots of volunteers. It's got a grass-roots feel like the web site says -- no major commercial stuff, but is not skimpy on the athlete support like some "grass-roots" races are. It's fun that some world-class people show up, too.

So, I'm reminding you - how is the water level situation looking???  Any danger of the race being cancelled or turned into a Duo???

Anything new?

Thanks,

Dennis

2009-05-03 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2125466

User image

Expert
Water situation is looking awesome. For whatever reason, they're keeping a lot of water in the lake and it's higher than it's been in years. If they don't drain it in the next week, it will be great. It's fairly warm, too -- 65-ish, I'm guessing. I swam at Beals Point last weekend and visibility was decent. If there are any race reports for the Icebreaker Tri at Folsom Lake, that will give you some info too. Auburn's swim is just above there and may be slightly warmer.

Mike

2009-05-03 10:24 PM
in reply to: #2127184

User image

Expert
Durham, CA

ellismichael - 2009-05-03 4:49 PM Water situation is looking awesome. For whatever reason, they're keeping a lot of water in the lake and it's higher than it's been in years. If they don't drain it in the next week, it will be great. It's fairly warm, too -- 65-ish, I'm guessing. I swam at Beals Point last weekend and visibility was decent. If there are any race reports for the Icebreaker Tri at Folsom Lake, that will give you some info too. Auburn's swim is just above there and may be slightly warmer. Mike

Thanks, sounds like it will be a go!!!!

Dennis

2009-05-04 12:22 AM

User image

I'm doing the half this year for the first time.

I went up there for the "training" session. The swim was fine. There's plenty of water.

Too bad it was so rainy today. I skipped the bike and run..... though I did train on the course last year.
It is definitely very hilly though I hear the run course is easier than it used to be a few years ago.

I sure hope it won't be 100 degrees. I'll die in the heat.
2009-05-09 2:21 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA

Anyone interested in doing a training ride on May 16th (Saturday).  I'm going to try to pull together getting down to the Auburn area, and I really would like to ride the course at least once before race day.

I'm thinking leaving Chico about 6 AM or so, be down near the boat launch place probably around 8:00 AM - my plan is just an "Easy ride on a hard course", not pushing for speed, just trying to ingrain into my brain which turn is where, and where the big potholes are, etc.

Dennis

2009-05-10 10:13 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA

Ok, just found out I have a class on Saturday - so will be shifting to Sunday, May 17th if anyone is interested. 

Dennis

2009-05-11 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2142256

User image

Expert
I would love to join you but I'm going to be out of town that weekend and the next. Unless I can squeeze it in during the week, I may not have ridden the whole course this season before race day.

slow&steady - 2009-05-10 8:13 PM

Ok, just found out I have a class on Saturday - so will be shifting to Sunday, May 17th if anyone is interested. 

Dennis

2009-05-17 7:53 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA

I Pre-rode the Auburn race course this morning/afternoon.  Tough course to follow, had to stop just about every intersection, still got lost once.  Pretty tough ride, I was either crawling up a steep hill at 6 miles per hour, or flying down the back side.  I commented several times that I should take off my big gear in front for the race - It was so seldom I got to use it!!!

Cut out the Bear Valley loop, as that would have put me way over the time I wanted to be in the saddle, this close to the race.  That loop appears to only have three turns, so that should be pretty easy to follow.

By the time I got back it was right at 100 degrees - and I was really glad to be done. 

I'll try to attach some of the photo's I took.  By the way, the water level was great, not so clean, but lots of water - hopefully the wind will blow the other direction and take the junk with it on race day...

(One of many hills.jpg)

(The dock.jpg)

(Strange place to hold a bike race.jpg)

(Traffic Plates.jpg)

(Applegate.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
One of many hills.jpg (27KB - 42 downloads)
The dock.jpg (16KB - 39 downloads)
Strange place to hold a bike race.jpg (31KB - 37 downloads)
Traffic Plates.jpg (21KB - 32 downloads)
Applegate.jpg (26KB - 40 downloads)
2009-05-17 11:52 PM

User image

I tried riding the course last year. It seemed to cross the freeway and annoying number of times.

2009-05-30 9:49 AM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA

Good luck, Everyone!!!

Dennis

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Auburn "World's Toughest Half" Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed