Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-01-21 10:14 AM
in reply to: #1920055

User image

Master
Sacramento, California
Subject: RE: Swim breathing frequency.

graceful_dave - 2009-01-21 10:12 AM Now that it seems the experts are in agreement on this, I'll go back to adjust my main points. In practice, breathe however often you need to. In a race, if you aren't breathing every other stroke, you're not going as fast as you could.

That I can agree with...especially for the distances you were talking about 500-1000m/yards

2009-01-21 11:07 AM
in reply to: #1919568

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
jsklarz - 2009-01-21 3:43 AM

Daremo - 2009-01-20 3:51 PM

Why would people preach every 3?

You need as much oxygen as you can get .... breath as much as you need which for a lot of pro triathlete and open water swimmers is every other stroke.

With proper technique taking a breath is a smooth thing incorporated into your body roll.  Shouldn't throw you off if you are doing it right.

Thank you for this post - the prior suggestion that oxygen deprivation makes you faster did not make any sense to me.

I think that teaching your body to work well on less O2 while training will help when it comes to a race and you then have more O2. If that makes any sense.

I will switch around on my breathing I will do a B3 if I'm swimming easy and a B2 on hard swims. When I do a B2 I will breath on my left going down the pool and my right on the way back.
2009-01-21 6:02 PM
in reply to: #1920190

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
fsr402 - 2009-01-21 10:07 AM

I think that teaching your body to work well on less O2 while training will help when it comes to a race and you then have more O2. If that makes any sense.

Except that this isn't what happens. See my previous 2 posts in this thread, LOL.
2009-01-21 6:05 PM
in reply to: #1921179

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
For some it takes subtlety, for others it takes a sledge hammer ......
2009-01-21 6:12 PM
in reply to: #1920055

User image

graceful_dave - 2009-01-21 8:12 AM Now that it seems the experts are in agreement on this, I'll go back to adjust my main points. In practice, breathe however often you need to. In a Tri race, if you aren't breathing every other stroke, you're not going as fast as you could.

Taking a cue from this.... There is a well known coach - gordo?  KP?  - can't recall, that advocates every 3 for long course training.  Theory being every stroke allows you to go faster, but maybe faster than you should in a long course tri, resulting in problems on the bike/run.  Something like in a race breathe how you want, but you should be able to go 5 strokes without feeling like your lungs are going to explode.  Then you know your pacing is correct.

Apologies to any coach if i've misrepped the idea.

2009-01-21 6:27 PM
in reply to: #1921198

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
ChrisM - 2009-01-21 7:12 PM

graceful_dave - 2009-01-21 8:12 AM Now that it seems the experts are in agreement on this, I'll go back to adjust my main points. In practice, breathe however often you need to. In a Tri race, if you aren't breathing every other stroke, you're not going as fast as you could.

Taking a cue from this.... There is a well known coach - gordo?  KP?  - can't recall, that advocates every 3 for long course training.  Theory being every stroke allows you to go faster, but maybe faster than you should in a long course tri, resulting in problems on the bike/run.  Something like in a race breathe how you want, but you should be able to go 5 strokes without feeling like your lungs are going to explode.  Then you know your pacing is correct.

Apologies to any coach if i've misrepped the idea.

Completely disagree with this one. Breathing every 2 or 3 or 5 strokes isn't going to "control" your speed. Breathing more often will help you stay out of oxygen debt. When you're in a race you are going to be racing, there is no way of backing off to a leisurely pace to "save your legs" for the bike and run. If you're trained properly the swim shouldn't affect your bike and it's going to be the bike that will affect your run.

You don't pace yourself in the swim by how often you breathe. IMHO!

2009-01-21 6:29 PM
in reply to: #1921198

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I breath when I need air...

I know that maybe over simplifies things, but it's true.  Many times I find that I'm in cruise mode and will breath on the 4th stroke, then on the second after that, then the 4th.  I feels comfortable to me.  I may also take breath on every other stroke just before or after a turn on the wall.

I do bilateral some days, every forth when swimming easy, etc.  I really don't worry about it and breath when it feels comfortable.

I wonder if people worry so much when they breath if running or biking or just do it naturally...

2009-01-21 6:46 PM
in reply to: #1921223

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
rstocks3 - 2009-01-21 6:27 PM

If you're trained properly the swim shouldn't affect your bike and it's going to be the bike that will affect your run.

While I don't necessarily agree with Chris's ideas on using breathing to control pace, I have to respectfully disagree with this as well.

I'm trying to find the original stuff, but I'll refer you to Episode 63 of the TriTalk podcast (sorry, this is the second time I referred to this today) http://tri-talk.com/weblog/?p=63

To summarize so you don't have to read the whole thing, swimming at 80-85% of your max swim effort for a sprint distance race will result in a faster overall finish time then swimming faster. Therefore no matter what your swim training is, pacing on the swim can have consequences to your bike and run even at the sprint level.

"A study by the University of Western Australia had 9 skilled triathletes perform a 750-meter swim time trial to establish their fastest swim pace for that distance. That 750-meters is, of course, the typical true sprint-distance swim length. Having established their swim time trial at that distance, the triathletes performed 3 sprint-distance triathlons in a controlled environment, but with varying swim pacing before the 3 triathlons. The 3 paces were at 80-85% of the time trial velocity, 90-95% of the time trial velocity, and 98-102% of the time trial velocity. We’ll refer to them as S80, S90, and S100.

The times for S80, S90, and S100 were 734, 673, and 619 seconds respectively. S80 was a full 114 seconds slower than S100, and over a minute slower than S90. Initially, you might be thinking what I am thinking, “hey, I can be a full 2 minutes faster if I lay it all out on the swim!”

But, the subsequent cycle times were very interesting. S80, S90, and S100 were 1654, 1682, and 1808 seconds respectively. Meaning, the cycling time after the 80% swim effort was 154 seconds faster than the cycle time after the S100 effort on the swim. The S90 was 126 seconds faster than the S100. The researchers concluded that the difference between the S80 and S90 cycling efforts was not statistically significant, but that the difference between either the S80 or the S90 and the S100 was statistically significant.

So, at this point we might be saying, since both the S80 and S90 are statistically the same result on the bike, the S90 should be the best swim effort because it had a one-minute advantage over the S80 on the swim. We’ll come back to that.

Let’s add the run onto these sprint tests. There was a difference in run performance, again with the faster run times occurring after the slower swim efforts. But, the difference in run times between the 3 trials was not statistically significant, and the researchers rightfully concluded that the run was unaffected by the swim intensity.

However, when it came to the mean overall triathlon times for S80, S90, and S100 there is where the real good stuff is. The times were 3658, 3681, and 3763 seconds respectively. The S80 was a full 105 seconds faster for the overall event than the S100. Even though the S100 was almost 2 minutes faster than the S80 on the swim, those 2 minutes were easily gobbled up by the decreased performance on the combined bike and run. Again, while there was not enough of a delta on the run between the 3 swim intensities, there was enough of a statistical difference on the combined bike and run for the researchers to conclude that the S80 swim intensity was significantly higher than the S100. Also the researchers noted that overall triathlon time of the S90 was faster than the S100, it was not enough of a difference, and therefore the only statistical improvement in performance came from the S80 swim effort.

How do we apply this to our training? First of all, I think that this means we need to practice swimming at 85% of our time-trial effort for sprint-distance racing, and to do that, we need to test a 750-meter time-trial frequently to know what 85% of that is."
2009-01-21 6:50 PM
in reply to: #1918474

User image

Wasn't advocating it, just relaying the message.

Graceful_dave did say he went faster breathing every two.  "going faster" on the swim may or may not be a wise thing to do if you go too fast for your training and gas yourself for the bike/run

2009-01-21 6:52 PM
in reply to: #1921223

User image

When you're in a race you are going to be racing, there is no way of backing off to a leisurely pace to "save your legs" for the bike and run.

Everyone's different I guess.  In all of my HIMs and my one IM i in fact backed off and swam, not at a "leisurely" pace, but I definitely holding back, and swimming at my near "all day" effort.  Conscious effort in my last 3 long races.  Precisely in order to pace for the bike and run.

2009-01-21 7:00 PM

User image

Perhaps gordo will or can chime in.   I know for a fact, as written on this site, that he advocates 3 stroke breathing, at least in training, and that breathing every two strokes is causing us to work harder than we think we are.  This is for long course training

Again, not my theory.  I just swim laps

2009-01-21 7:30 PM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

My question is this: How many of you dictate your breath according to how many steps you take running, or pedal strokes in cycling? So why would you in swimming?

When doing instruction, I advocate people trying to find a rhythm by counting for the exhale. The tendency of a beginner is to hold their breath, then all of sudden realize they need to breath, exhale short and forcefully and then gulp some air and start over, then they wonder why they get out of breath so soon. I have them count "IN, out, two, three, four, five <whatever>, IN, out, two...." (The in is emphasized since you do need to breath in in a quicker fashion than biking/running)

My pace dictates my breathing. If I'm just cruising, I'll go 6 or 7 strokes before I breath, and it doesn't matter if I need to breath left or right.  If I'm going medium speed it'll drop to 4 or 5, and the faster I go the more often I breath.

The best thing to do is become completely comfortable with the water and breathing, and just like running and biking, don't hold and gasp, but find a comfortable breathing rhythm for you.

John

2009-01-21 7:34 PM
in reply to: #1921325

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

My pace does as well.  And I'll go in reverse sometimes and figure out what my breathing is to tell me the RPE that I'm doing.

Especially in running.  For most runs if I'm breathing 3-2 I'm right where I want to be.  When I'm 2-2 it is something fast and if I'm even remotely close to 2-1 or 1-1 it is time to slow down!!

Swimming I'm usually 3 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 2 - 3 etc.  If I'm doing that I'm in a comfortable groove.  If I'm 2 - 2 - 2 then I know I'm moving out at a solid effort.

2009-01-21 7:45 PM
in reply to: #1921325

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-01-21 7:48 PM
in reply to: #1921365

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
PennState - 2009-01-21 6:45 PM
tkd.teacher - 2009-01-21 8:30 PM

My question is this: How many of you dictate your breath according to how many steps you take running, or pedal strokes in cycling? So why would you in swimming?

fair enough, but let me ask you... do you try to hold your breath when you run or bike?

Oxygen is a great thing for an endurance athlete.

Uhm...yes, it is. Where did I suggest it wasn't? And no, I don't hold my breath, nor do I in swimming. I just try to settle into a sustainable rhythm and breathing pattern.

John 

2009-01-21 8:08 PM
in reply to: #1921259

Bob
Binghamton, NY
ChrisM - 2009-01-21 7:52 PM
When you're in a race you are going to be racing, there is no way of backing off to a leisurely pace to "save your legs" for the bike and run.

Everyone's different I guess.  In all of my HIMs and my one IM i in fact backed off and swam, not at a "leisurely" pace, but I definitely holding back, and swimming at my near "all day" effort.  Conscious effort in my last 3 long races.  Precisely in order to pace for the bike and run.

I'm not sure how much I agree or disagree with the above study. There are just waaaay too many variables when it comes to pacing during a swim. Sleep, diet, previous days training or recovery are all factors that affect a 750 m (or 2.4 mi) swim. 

I am just speaking from my own experiences and understand that it is necessary to pace the swim. Obviously no one is going to swim a triathlon swim at 100%. My effort during the swim of a sprint race or an Ironman is around 75% and my AHR is usually in the 160's. When I get out of the water in a race I feel good and ready to ride. (I also have a strong 6-beat kick that I don't hold back on and it doesn't affect my ride or run, but that's a whole thread in itself. ) If I push the swim to a 90% effort I may gain 2 or 3 minutes in the swim but my HR would be in the upper 170's and it would take a long time to recover and would definitely affect the rest of my race.

When I said that the swim wouldn't affect the bike and run I did say that if you were properly trained. A race pace should be a pace that you are comfortable RACING at for the amount of training you have put in.

It still comes down to "In endurance sports, oxygen is your friend!" you need to breathe the get oxygen. Breathing more allows more oxygen in the body, the body likes that.

2009-01-21 8:14 PM
in reply to: #1921402

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-01-21 8:19 PM
in reply to: #1920064

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
I tend to think people over think stuff, and it appears that I am falling into that trap, so I'm going to gracefully bow out at this point.

Excellent points on all sides.
2009-01-21 8:31 PM
in reply to: #1921414

Bob
Binghamton, NY
PennState - 2009-01-21 9:14 PM

It still comes down to "In endurance sports, oxygen is your friend!" you need to breathe the get oxygen. Breathing more allows more oxygen in the body, the body likes that.

This is what *I* believe as well!

Now that I think about it Fred, perhaps the breathe every 7 stroke pattern would work out well for YOU at Eagleman.

2009-01-21 9:25 PM

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

As a 3 decade veteran in the pool and someone who's gone 49 min in kona, here's my 2 cents.

Breathing from an oxygen standpoint is obvious. Breathe when you need air. Don't fully discount the breathing discipline drills though (breathing every 5-7-9). Not to train hypoxica (the O2 content is still the same on each breath, so simulating altitude by simply holding your breath won't help), but to work lung capacity. Not a huge need in tri's but still can help in some tough spots like the start when you get dunked.

The importance of the alternating breath or breathing every 3 (B3) has everything to do with efficency. B3 will keep the stroke balanced in form but will also keep the strength of each side more equal. If you train every other and favor one side then you have a weak side.  Just like a weak leg in cycling, you will have problems eventually.

The other aspect of this is that the motion of breathing slows the stroke. Turning your head breaks the streamline and slows you down. So there is a give and take. Breathe a lot and you are strong but constantly slowing yourself down. Breathe too little and you are more efficient but you don't have enough air to keep the speed. In my workouts my B3 is only marginally slower than B2 b/c I lose the efficency. Someone mentioned the Olympics and the reasoning for when they breathe and when they don't. Sprinters don't breathe. If a 50 freestyler takes a breath, they screwed up their race. You will see almost no breathing in the final strokes to the wall for the same reason. They can go without oxygen for the final meters and be more efficient.  There are also some other key areas in a race that have shown to help (off the walls they don't normally breathe right away to maintain momentum from the push, etc).  So to compare breathing on bike or run isn't entirely accurate. It might be more accurate to compare getting a drink of water from a downtube waterbottle (you break your aero and your rhythm) too often.

So, I would say breathing every 3 in training is important on aerobic type swimming. As the sets get hard, get the air. In racing, your stroke should be balanced from your training, so get the air above anything else.

Regarding the Phelps comment, he is a freak of nature, so he can do what he wants, but still proves this point better than anyone off the walls and at the finish (kicking streamlined can actually be faster than swimming as he has proved).

By the way, I never thought I would see "Maglischo" on this site. I'm impressed.

2009-01-21 11:09 PM
in reply to: #1921414

PennState - 2009-01-21 6:14 PM

This is what *I* believe as well!

As do I.  And why I breath every two strokes in practice and racing 99% of the time.  But a google search may reveal that there are other opinions out there.

out

2009-01-22 1:20 AM

Expert
SF Bay Area
I give a lot more thought to breathing OUT properly than breathing in. I just want to get that bad air out and get just enough of the fresh stuff in without taking more than I really need.

It's great be able to breathe on both sides, I think we all agree with that. I've been practicing weak side and every 3 as part of my drills in the pool. In the OW I like to breathe every stroke cycle mainly because I just want to see the something! It's dark and ugly where I swim.
2009-01-22 5:00 AM
in reply to: #1920190

New Haven, CT
fsr402 - 2009-01-21 12:07 PM
jsklarz - 2009-01-21 3:43 AM
Daremo - 2009-01-20 3:51 PM

Why would people preach every 3?

You need as much oxygen as you can get .... breath as much as you need which for a lot of pro triathlete and open water swimmers is every other stroke.

With proper technique taking a breath is a smooth thing incorporated into your body roll.  Shouldn't throw you off if you are doing it right.

Thank you for this post - the prior suggestion that oxygen deprivation makes you faster did not make any sense to me.

I think that teaching your body to work well on less O2 while training will help when it comes to a race and you then have more O2. If that makes any sense. I will switch around on my breathing I will do a B3 if I'm swimming easy and a B2 on hard swims. When I do a B2 I will breath on my left going down the pool and my right on the way back.

I'm no biologist/pysiologist but I don't think your body can learn to live with reduced oxygen by swimming occasionally by B5-9... maybe if you lived in a reduced oxygen environment for weeks you could, although I could be wrong.  I think if your body does not have enough oxygen you slow down, pass out or die.

2009-01-27 9:14 PM

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
So I did an experiment tonight.

I warmed up, then swam a couple yards relaxed breast stroke, then 500 yards at a hard but sustainable pace breathing every other stroke. I swam about 1:50/100yrds.

Another couple hundred of relaxed breast stroke swimming then 500 yards swimming a pace that I could sustain on breathing every 4th stroke I swam about 2:06/100yrds so I lost 15ish seconds per 100 by only breathing every 4th stroke. And in all honesty, it was more like 4-4-3-3-4-4 so I'd be even slower if I reigned it in enough to get by on every 4th.

I doubt being tired had anything to do with time loss. When I do hard sets of 1000yrds the second 500 is usually faster then the first without trying. I think the difference would be more if I did the slow set first.

Next week perhaps I'll repeat using every 3rd stroke for the slower pace.
2009-01-27 9:17 PM

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
I think that's the first time I've double posted on BT.

Edited by graceful_dave 2009-01-27 9:17 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim breathing frequency. Rss Feed  

of 3