RhodyCo Productions
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 25s
Overall Rank = 2154/5817
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 260/418
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 4:30 and got a Latte and cereal. I gathered my gear, made a PBJ for the road and mixed my Cytomax. I headed over very early as I knew the crowd would be terrible.

I've been to this race twice before--so I KNEW were to go. Like a lunk head I did not print out directions and ended up in the Presidio looking up directions on my phone. Nice. About that time, my stomach began to rumble. I drove around looking for the race site and finally found it. Boy the GI distress was beginning to kick up. However, there was not a porta potty to be found! I got on the bus to get to the start. The bus dropped us about 1/4 of a mile away from the start of the race.

So with as much dignatiy as I could muster, I began to walk fast to the porta potties. Nice, aren't you glad you're reading this.

About this time I realized two things. First, I did not put body glide on the rub points on my jersey. Second, I did not grab my Garmin. Nice what a knuckle head.

This week I've been missing my mojo--probably not the best day to race. But the date is the date. My goals were:
1. Stay healthy. The prior two years I've left this race with screwed up ITBand issues. At all cost don't get injured.
2. Beat 1:45 and hopefully 1:40.
Event warmup:

I ran for about 1/2 or 3/4 mile about 30 minutes before the beginning of the race. I stretch out quite a bit afterward waiting for the start.
Run
  • 1h 55m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

My game plan was to follow the plan of 3/7/3. First three miles get to the pace that I'm going to keep. For the next seven hold 8 minute miles. The last portion should be an all out 5K. I was executing the plan perfectly, but it just was not my day. At mile 4 I stopped for a minute or so to hit the porta potty. About mile 8 I was thinking about quiting. About mile 9.5 my hips started to hurt. I walked that out for about a half mile. During that time, my pits had been rubbed raw by my race jersey. I pulled a McGyver (spelling -1) and used Chapstick to provide lube. (Don't worry I broke the chapstick off first!) Then I continued the game plan. At mile 12, I just did not have it and the hip was bothering me again. I decided to walk the rest--including the finish. To me it was honoring goal one of the day. Bah. I finished at 1:55 which is 5 minutes slower than my PR.

It is funny two weeks ago I ran 12 and rocked to course--and a tougher course than today. You just never can tell! My mojo has been crap this week and it continued today.

Wildflower is 90 days away and I KNOW that I will be able to find 3 miles by then. There really was not a good reason why I shouldn't have hit 1:45....
What would you do differently?:

1. No GI Distress
2. Get directions (moron)
3. Wear my Garmin.
4. More body glide.
5. Find my Mojo
Post race
Warm down:

Ran for the porta potties. Saw a couple of training buddies and waddled back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No GI distress and in the middle of my off season training program. I was pretty burned out. I should have been able to get my time goals--as my pacing was right on target. Just a bad day!

Event comments:

This is one of the nicest races in the country. What could be better than running through Golden Gate Park. The weather was great--especially compare to last year where there was the storm from hell.

The race is well run and well supported. A must race.

Last updated: 2009-01-18 12:00 AM
Running
01:55:25 | 13.1 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 260/418
Overall: 418/5817
Performance: Below average
Wish I had it!
Course: It starts at 8 am on John F. Kennedy Drive east of Stow Lake Drive and finishes on Martin Luther King Drive near the Great Highway. After three hours into the race, participants still on the course will be moved to the running path to finish the course (the finish line is open for four hours after the event’s start).
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-02-03 1:56 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Subject: San Francisco Half Marathon

2009-02-03 8:59 AM
in reply to: #1942708

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: RE: San Francisco Half Marathon
Good job Geoff! Sometimes life gives you lemons (GI distress, getting lost, forgetting your Garmin) and you just have to make do...and you finished! This is just a little bump as you get ready for Wildflower

Maybe see you out there next year!
2009-02-03 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1942951

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA

kt65 - 2009-02-03 6:59 AM Good job Geoff! Sometimes life gives you lemons (GI distress, getting lost, forgetting your Garmin) and you just have to make do...and you finished! This is just a little bump as you get ready for Wildflower Maybe see you out there next year!

I could not agree with you more.  I felt like it should have been my day, but....   It is about the journey and this is just a small speed bump.  My transmission is still in the car and I'm ready to go!

2009-02-03 4:58 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Congrats on keeping goal #1! And still a great time with the porta potty break and walking the finish. ^^^^^^^You have a great attitude! Next time will be your day!
2009-02-03 5:56 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Sometimes it's on and sometimes it's off--you did an AWESOME JOB on an off day and most importantly, kept yourself in the game for another ON day! Congratulations!
2009-02-04 10:40 AM

User image

Modesto, California

Nice run Geoff! What a day, I would have probably punched somebody after all that, ITBS is not fun! I hope it goes away for the both of us before Wildflower, or we can limp together!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Francisco Half Marathon Rss Feed