General Discussion Triathlon Talk » That killer Q everyone faces...road or tri bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-02-23 11:12 AM

New user
Subject: That killer Q everyone faces...road or tri bike

I've asked this Q on BF as well and got a varying response.  Most there said go road, yet there were still those that said a tri bike would be fine.  I then contacted a reputable LBS and the guy I talked to said a tri bike would work.  Now I am even more confused then when I started.  Even I can't make up my mind which way to go.  While I'd love to have both bikes right I only have the money for one, and it'll most likely be upper entry/mid level bike.  I'm looking to spend around $2000 and here's my situation:

I've ridden a mtn. bike all my life, so being comfortable on a bike isn't a worry of mine.  Due to a busted front derailleur, I'm stuck in the small chainring, so I'm contantly spinning and can only hold about 18mph for 10 miles and about 16mph for 20 miles.  I've test ridden the Trek 2.1 as well as the Specialized Allez Elite/Roubaix/Tarmac Elite (all bikes were 08 models).  While I felt good on all of them, the Tarmac stood out, most likely b/c it was carbon fiber.  It felt like it just took off when I pedaled.  Yet, it was a road bike.  I don't really plan on racing crit's, and I want to COMPETE when I begin to race tri's.  So the thought of the tri bike entered my mind.  I've yet to ride one.  I've also been introduced to the Cervelo S1, which is an aero road bike.  Along with all this consideration, I have no cyling gear what-so-ever.  I've thought about going with the allez elite b/c of price(I could get ALL the gear) but don't want to need to upgrade for 5 to 10 years. 

PLEASE HELP!!!

2009-02-23 11:17 AM
in reply to: #1977204

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denton
Subject: RE: That killer Q everyone faces...road or tri bike
Well, this is just what my coach told me (note that I already had a road bike - though a very crappy one): If you want to race tri's and only tri's - get a tri bike.  Pretty simple logic.  If your goal is to be competitive, then get what you need to make you the most competitive.  That being said, for me, a road bike is more comfortable to train on, and I still use mine a lot for training.  However, it sounds like for what you want to do, the tri bike makes more sense.  I'm sure you'll get a lot of different opinions, though.
2009-02-23 11:42 AM

User image

I wanted to COMPETE in tri's to when I started a little over a year ago, and I had no bike at all.  I bought a Cervelo Tri bike and I have absolutely zero regrets.  I LOVE my tri bike.

Also, from my experience solely, I've rarely ever been passed in a triathlon race by a Road Bike.  Aside from one very hilly race, I can honestly say that I can only remember being passed by no more than a dozen road bikes, if that. Well over 95% of bikes that have passed me in races are almost always tri bikes.  And I check out every bike that passes me. 

How I intepret that is (and this is just my guess), people who are serious about racing and competing in triathlon Race Tri Bikes.  

Edited by Dream Chaser 2009-02-23 11:45 AM
2009-02-23 11:53 AM

New user

as others have mentioned, your intentions for the bike are the most important requirement.  if you plan on only doing a few races a year but a lot of riding otherwise, then a road bike would probably be a better option for you.  if you want to compete in races and be as fast as possible at all times, then a tri bike would be a better fit for you.  my only concern with the latter situation that I just mentioned and your budget is that you might feel the need to upgrade if you are the competitive type and you end up with an entry level bike.  If you can bump up your budget by another $500 or so, you should be able to get a very nice, all carbon tri bike with ultegra components and be set for a while.

2009-02-23 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1977293

New user
If I was in the working world, I would have no problem going out and buying a top of the line bike.  However, I'm still in college and my parents are paying 95% of the tuition (They pay about 34k to my 6k per yer).  My dad is on my side since he's had his bike for a good 20+ years even though he only rides it if we go to the cape and go down the bike trail there.  My mom also isn't the quickest when it comes to benefits of a road vs mountain vs tri bike.  It took me almost a half an hour to explain why I couldn't just fix my mountain bike and continue to ride that rather than getting a new bike.  She really has the final say when it comes to how much I can spend.
2009-02-23 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
Oakland, Fl

Gazzelle,

I am in the same boat with you.  This past weekend I went riding with my sister and father.  My dad knows my goals and how passionate I become about new addicitons....since he is the same way.  He looked at me and said....you need a new bike for this.  I currently ride a $120 walmart special (Mongoose) mountain bike.  After the ride, I looked online at some bikes and realized quickly that I have absolutely no clue.  My sister, brother-in-law, father and mother all have nice road racing bikes.  I assume I will fall in line with them since they are who I ride with mostly and a couple other friends.  However, my main goal is for tri's.  Since I have yet to race my 1st tri, I am going to give myself 6 months of training on my ol' mtn bike and a couple tri's to decide if I should invest in the money on a road bike or a tri bike.  Money doesn't grow on trees and so before a decision is made, make sure it's the right choice. 

For now, instead of buying the latest and greatest, give yourself a little time to figure out if tri's are something you really want to do or if you'll just keep riding.  In the meantime, you can buy a cheap(er) bike to keep you moving.  Good Luck!

2009-02-23 1:20 PM

User image

Champion
here are my thoughts. i went through this as well.

if you know triathlon is where your interests are, go with that. if you get a road bike down the road you will look at the tri bike anway.

i train and race solely on the tri bike, dont even own a road bike.

if you have a mnt bike already that would seal the deal on the tri bike for me
2009-02-23 1:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson

gazelle,

If I was in your shoes, I would buy a road bike and put some clip on aerobars on it.  You can use it in triathlons and get 80-90% of the aero benefit (if you pick the right road bike and your LBS sets up the aerobars correctly) AND it will be a great bike for group rides.  It will be easier to sell later if you decide to upgrade or go with a tri bike.  A tri bike is really specialized for trials and triathlons and isn't as easy to ride in groups or as comfortable when you are not on the aerobars.  The steeper seat tube angle causes your upper body to place more weight on your arms and they tire faster, at least that's the way it has been for me and I have both bikes.

YMMV and FWIW,

Greg

2009-02-23 3:23 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
You mentioned a lot of things here. First, will you actually be able to spend $2,000 or do you still need parental approval for that amount? I have yet to see a tri bike for under $1,000, and they're usually close to the $2,000 range, but you can get a decent entry-level road bike for under $1,000. So, make sure you have the funds.

I've ridden a mtn. bike all my life, so being comfortable on a bike isn't a worry of mine.

This is an interesting statement because I find that my MTB to be very comfortable. I was surprised how different a road bike felt compared to my MTB. Not that I think my road bike is uncomfortable, but it is definitely less of an upright position than an MTB. So, if you're used to the upright position of an MTB, I'm guessing that an extreme aero position on a tri bike will be a different world.

Are the races you plan on entering very hilly? If so, road bikes are better climbers, so I hear.

Have you done any tris? If so, have you fallen in love with the sport? One of the reasons why I chose a road bike was because I wasn't madly and passionately in love with tris. Don't get me wrong: I like them and find them fun and challenging. But I also like to do just running events or organized bike rides.

Just some things to consider.
2009-02-23 3:26 PM
in reply to: #1977778

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

MikeTheBear - 2009-02-23 3:23 PM  I have yet to see a tri bike for under $1,000, and they're usually close to the $2,000 range, but you can get a decent entry-level road bike for under $1,000.

Last time you can make that statement:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/nemesis06_SPECIALpre.htm

2009-02-23 4:21 PM
in reply to: #1977778

New user

I've ridden a mtn. bike all my life, so being comfortable on a bike isn't a worry of mine.

Comfort meant stability wise, not so much as plush comfort.

I've saved up about 1000 from birthday, Christmas, and my last paycheck from work last summer.  Plus, I'm turning 21 at the end of the summer (as in 3 days before I go back to school), so I'm hoping to spring the "I can't wait til my birthday b/c I won't get to ride it" plea.  I am anticipating getting that money early too and my uncle doesn't give cash for presents, so he still owes me.  To make a long story short, I should have that much come the beginning of the summer. 

Another possibility I found is the Specialized transition multisport for $999.  Anyone have any experience with that particular bike?  Right now, from reading the responses I've been getting on both sites, I think I'm leaning toward the 08 Tarmac Elite or the 08 Allez Elite with aerobars.  But keep the imput coming.  I'm likely to change my mind five times before I go to bed.

2009-02-23 4:43 PM
in reply to: #1977783

Elite
Denver, Colorado
the bear - 2009-02-23 3:26 PM

MikeTheBear - 2009-02-23 3:23 PMĀ  I have yet to see a tri bike for under $1,000, and they're usually close to the $2,000 range, but you can get a decent entry-level road bike for under $1,000.

Last time you can make that statement:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/nemesis06_SPECIALpre.htm

Yeah, but it doesn't even come with pedals!

That looks like a really good deal, though. If I had money to spend I would consider getting one myself.
2009-02-23 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1977916

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
I don't own one but seems like there have been MANY BT'ers who are very happy with their Nemesis that The Bear posted.
2009-02-23 8:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
I got a road bike about 2 years ago, mainly to commute to work and do some rec riding. Then I got bitten by the tri bug last year and bought a tri bike this year (Cervelo P2SL - 2008 model for $1400...not a bad price for a nice tri bike IMO) this year. I regret getting the roadie now since I love riding my tri bike. If I could, I would sell the roadie but for what I would get for it its prob not worth it so I will keep it around to keep my tri bike company. So, just saying, if you KNOW you are going to be doing most of your riding with triathlons in mind, I would go that route. If not then you have more to think about! :-)
2009-02-23 10:01 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Get a road bike.

Better on hills and technical terrain, better for group rides, you can put aerobars on, and you can get them for cheaper than a tri bike.

are you only going to use it for triathlons? nope, you're not...

I have a felt F75 and absolutely love it...

2009-02-23 10:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Chaska, MN

I just went through the exact same debate...found a great deal on a Felt roadie online and went that direction...clip on areo bars...I haven't raced or even ridden it much yet (curse of living in MN), but I haven't had any regrets...

I was looking in one LBS and the owner told me he did two IM's, one on a roadie with areo, and one on a tri bike...his time difference was 5mins...that could be due to several factors not just the bikes...but either way it probably won't hurt to use a roadie.  As others have mentioned you can also use the roadie for ALL types of riding. 

I figured if I only do tri's for another few years (I'm a little older than you) than at least I have a great bike for family stuff or I'll have a tri bike that I'll never ride again.  Also, if after two seasons I want a tri bike...well then I'll have both....If you read several posts most people usually train on a road bike and race their tri bike. 

Also, think about where you're going to ride when you train...in the country where the odds of having to stop fast are minimal or in a more congested area where you may need instant access to the brakes...tri bikes are not great for that...just a thought.

Either way enjoy the new bike and don't look back....

2009-02-23 10:29 PM

Centennial, Colorado
I think the only reason I am keeping my road bike is becuase there are some killer local mountain passes and a few road races that I eventually want to ride. If I didn't have those things to ride my road bike I would have sold it when I bought my tri bike. As it is, I have to keep the roadie to complete those events.
I enjoy training on my tri bike and I think if you can only have one bike, you can get away with just having the tri bike.
Just my thoughts.
2009-02-24 6:47 AM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

This is one of those quintessential BT questions that you wuill never get a consensus on because everyone's personal situation is different, rationalizing a different opinion on what is "best" because of all the variables you need to take into account.

For me, I basically do all my riding on one bike - a tri bike, because:

I ride only to train for multisport races

I only ride solo

I ride mainly in low-traffic, rural areas

I ride, and race for that matter, on flat, non-technical terrain

I have never entered a road bike race and don't plan on doing so in the near future

For me, the question of road vs. tri bike was simple.

I will admit to owning a beater MTB that I enjoy getting out on for some intense cardio trail sessions in better weather, mainly for the thrill of being able to feel like a kid again.

2009-02-24 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I bought a Giant road bike last year to train and compete in a HIM and will be using it all season, including the FL IM.  I have even read of folks on these forums with both tri and road bikes that did their IMs on their road bikes, for the sake of comfort.  It is a personal decision, but for me I went with the road bike with aero set up and fast forward seat post because it was a more versatile option.  I am a middle of the pack athlete and while I want to be competitive, I am not sure for the races I enter if a tri bike would make a huge difference for me.

Good luck!

2009-02-24 11:10 PM

New user
thanks for all the input...I've gotten more over the past 2 days on this site alone than I have over the past month on both posts on BF (road and tri sections).  If anyone else has any other experience or input, I'm still open to it.  The way I see it, the more info I gather, the better it is for me.  Thanks again
2009-03-11 9:55 PM

New user
My mind is 95% made up finally.  I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an 08 trek equinox E7.  I plan on going into the LBS to give it a test ride on the trainer they have tomorrow just to be sure it fits and I am comfortable in the aero position.  If all goes well, a test ride on the road in early May when i get out of school(owner said it wasn't getting any attention by customers since it is a rather small store with the main focus on mtn bikes because of the park up the road) and if nothing changes, I have a new bike

2009-03-11 10:00 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I have a bunch of bikes...

My favorite is my tri bike and I put more than 80% of my miles on that bike. I even do bike races and cyclocross races so if anyone would like a road bike and ride it you would think it would be me but  no....love my Kuota K Factor.

I ride mostly alone or with tri friends and guess what they mostly are all on tri bikes too. We don't draft but ride together.

Why get a road bike to do tris or ride with triathletes? 

Unless you have a strong desire to do bike racing, go with a tri bike.

2009-03-12 6:55 AM

Contrary to what it may appear by reading these forums, at any triathlon I've attended, road bike, mountain bikes and hybrids (as a group) outnumber tri bikes. Buy whatever you feel comfortable with and think you will enjoy, but don't feel like you must have a tri-bike to fit in or to be successful as a triathlete.

I started with a entry-level road bike, and have just replaced it with another way nicer road bike. I find that my bike fitness and handling improves most when I ride with groups, and tri bikes just aren't that safe for group riding.
2009-03-12 9:24 AM

New user
The closest group ride would be about :30 from my house so group rides aren't really an option since i am the only one in my family who rides.  The only "group" riding I will be doing is the occasional ride with my cousin...but even then we are usually racing mock aquabike races (bike then swim in my pool).  If I ever want to do group rides I'll get an entry level road bike (maybe a graduation present in spring of 2011) or just stay on the pursuit bars if I still have only the 1 bike.
2009-03-12 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Memphis, TN
What about the Cervelo S1?  It can be both.  The seat can be rotated to the forward position making it a tribike or can be left in the normal road position for road rides.  There is a really good review on bikesportmichigan.com's website by Tom Demerly.  Very good info.  And at $2200 for a bike with all Ultegra SL components, it is a very good bargain.  Just sonething else to consider
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » That killer Q everyone faces...road or tri bike Rss Feed  

of 2