General Discussion Triathlon Talk » That killer Q everyone faces...road or tri bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-03-12 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2012996

New user
Subject: RE: That killer Q everyone faces...road or tri bike
I've thought about that but the price tag is a little high.  If I have the cash come May, I may get it.  The cheapest I've found for the S1 is just under 2000, which wouldn't leave any money for shoes/pedals/etc.  I am a complete newbie when it comes to competing in anything cycling and have no gear whatsoever.  I'm used to riding in running short, a t-shirt, and sneakers.

2009-03-12 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2013131

User image

Expert
Memphis, TN

gazelle5333 - 2009-03-12 10:12 AM I've thought about that but the price tag is a little high.  If I have the cash come May, I may get it.  The cheapest I've found for the S1 is just under 2000, which wouldn't leave any money for shoes/pedals/etc.  I am a complete newbie when it comes to competing in anything cycling and have no gear whatsoever.  I'm used to riding in running short, a t-shirt, and sneakers.

Call around ands see if anyone still has last years model (the Soloist).  If so, you should be able to get a decent deal on it.

2009-03-12 11:40 AM
in reply to: #1977204

New user
anyone know of anywhere in central/eastern MA that still has them?  Everywhere I've looked are all out of my size (54)
2009-03-12 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA

I recently went through the same decision process... and was to the point of being dead set on a Nemesis tri-bike.  Then several local bicyclists, triathletes and a guy at the local bike shop all talked me down.  It came down to a road bike being more practical for training, ability to ride with the groups around here, only planning on sprints/Olys, etc.  

Next came the tough part of finding a bike... went through some bikes in the 1-2K range and am 99% sure I am going with a Fuji Roubaix Pro.  A decent aggressive bike with solid components.  I like the fact that it is an aluminum frame with carbon seatstays and forks.  For around 1K, it seems like a real bargain.  

2009-03-12 12:17 PM
in reply to: #2013526

New user
Great point but the difference between us is that I plan on doing sprints this year, an olympic and maybe 1/2 IM next, and then an IM the summer I graduate college(2011).  Getting the road bike now to only go out and buy a tri bike in the future doesn't seem practical right now...unless, of course, I'm not comfortable in the aerobarsand tri position, in which case it is a no brainer for now.  As I posted earlier, I will be testing out the E7 on a trainer tomorrow (highs are upper 30's) just to be sure it fits and I am comfortable on it, and then the final decision will be made early May.
2009-03-12 12:44 PM

New user

I have yet to do a Tri but I tried to setup my road bike last year to use in aero position. I really don’t understand people who say they can use their road bike for aero and for group rides.

By the time I got a comfy aero position my seat was so far forward that riding on the hoods puts way too much weight on my arms. More then an hour or two like that and I am screaming.

Put the bike back in roadie position and you are stretched out in aero and your hip angle is messed up.

Do you just look for something in the middle and just deal with your fit being messed up? Or make adjustments depending on the kind of ride

2009-03-12 10:09 PM
in reply to: #2013655

New user

road bike are generally longer in the top tube(I think that's what it is called), making it difficult to get a good aero position.  The seat tube angle is also very slack (72* usually instead of 76-80) which affects the hip angle.  Try a "fast forward" seatpost to give the steeper seat tube angle.  But generally, road bikes are much tougher, if not impossible, to get as comfortable as a tri bike with regards to the aero position because of the differences in their geometries.

PS...this is what I read, not my experience.  Take all info with a grain of sand for I don't know how much is actually right.

2009-03-13 1:28 AM

Master

It's a total quandary, roadie vs tribike, if you can only get one. There's no simple answer, and it definitely depends on circumstances often beyond your control.

I only own a tribike - I only plan to bike race during tris, and I was originally planning to do mostly solo tribike training rides (like I do when I run.)

I must admit that I find myself riding mostly with groups, and mostly on big hill climbs here in SoCal. I totally didn't expect it, but that's what ended up happening. I LOVE my bike, but for sure, the roadies around me would be happier if I was sporting a road bike. I don't get to use the aero as much as I like because of the group and the big hills. For me, I think the road bike with clipons may have been a more flexible option - but I do have to say that on race day, I was REALLY happy to be on a pure tri-bike, as race day is really what really counts in the end.

I know the geometry is slightly different between roadies and tribikes, but for me, and even greater consideration is that tribikes use bar-end shifters and not the integrated "brifters" that are on road bikes. Thus, if you're off your aerobars, you can't shift on a tribike. I've gotten really good at shifting fast by dancing on and off the aerobars, but there is a definite loss of time in shifting with the extra hand motion, and it's somewhat inconvenient. For training, the roadie setup with brakes/shifters integrated is definitely more responsive than the bar-end shifters on the tribike. 

2009-03-13 9:36 PM

New user
I went into my LBS that had the Equinox 7 today and was able to get "fit"(just a quick 20 min. session to make sure I could get comfortable and that the geometry matched my body).  I was able to stand over it...barely(only by about an inch or so) and when I was on it, the seat post was almost completely inside the seat tube(only about 2-3 inches of post actually showing.  It felt great, but this seems to me to scream one size too big.  Am I wrong in assuming you should have about 1/2 the available post(give or take) out of the seat tube?  Or am I completely off base and having no seat post showing is fine as well?  If I am right, I think I'm just gonna suck up the Tiagra shifters/fd and go with the 08 allez elite...or maybe splurge on a S1...but that will cut funds in other places.

Edited by gazelle5333 2009-03-13 10:06 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » That killer Q everyone faces...road or tri bike Rss Feed  

of 2