General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Great Floridian Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-24 4:21 PM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Subject: Great Floridian Triathlon : Official Thread
I'll be there!!

2009-02-26 4:12 PM
in reply to: #1979949

User image

Subject: RE: Great Floridian Triathlon : Official Thread

So here is the deal.  I am doing IM WI this year and am going to piggyback The Great Floridian afterwards all in preparation for the Ultraman in 2010.

I am concerned about being completely fried for this race but am going to give it a go!!  

2009-03-04 6:30 PM

Master
This was my first iron distance race and I had a blast. I cannot say enough good things about the volunteers as well as Sommersports that organized this race.

Even though it's Florida, this course happens to be in the hilly part of Florida, but in all honesty the hills aren't that bad. I don't know if it will be the same this as it was last year, but it was one big loop. In previous years, it was two loops.

Also, you have a nice shot of bringing home some hardware. They give awards out 10 deep to each division.
2009-03-05 6:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Broad Brook
I am in this was my first IM 2006 and didnt go according to plan so I am coming back to kick its butt. I am also doing L.P. so I hope I wont be too fried.
2009-03-09 11:20 AM

New user

Just registered for the race!  This will be my first IM; still early but pretty excited! 

One of the threads mentioned the hills, other than Sugarloaf Mt, are the hills you are refering to just grades? Nothing to get me out of my center ring type thing??

Also on the race website, under "course maps," on the bike course, they show an Eastern Loop versus an Western Loop, which one will the race actually be?

In the past has the weather in Oct been wetsuit eligable or has it been too warm?

Thanks,

Jill Smile

p.s. I'm sure between now and Oct. 24, I'll have lots of questions for you veterans.

2009-03-10 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2006303

User image

jrpower - 2009-03-09 12:20 PM

Just registered for the race!  This will be my first IM; still early but pretty excited! 

One of the threads mentioned the hills, other than Sugarloaf Mt, are the hills you are refering to just grades? Nothing to get me out of my center ring type thing??

Also on the race website, under "course maps," on the bike course, they show an Eastern Loop versus an Western Loop, which one will the race actually be?

In the past has the weather in Oct been wetsuit eligable or has it been too warm?

Thanks,

Jill Smile

p.s. I'm sure between now and Oct. 24, I'll have lots of questions for you veterans.

Hey y'all! This is my first post in here. GFT will be my first Iron distance race as well.

For the out of towners, There are some decent hills that go beyond just "grades". Here's  an article in a recent Triathlete mag:

http://www.saramclarty.com/docs/trimag_ntc1108.pdf

Also, the race is both the east and west loops. The half IM distance race in Sept does only the east loop. 

2009-03-10 6:53 PM

User image

Veteran
If all goes well at FL 70.3, I plan on racing GFT as my first IM distance. I hope to see everyone there.
2009-03-13 11:46 AM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Thought I'd try to answer some of the questions above. I've done this race twice (2003, 2008), done the half several time and volunteered in the med tent. Note the half-iron distance race is moved back to September this year.
The swim has been wetsuit legal every year except one. Fred (the RD) somehow manages to get a cold front through just in the nick of time to drop the lake temp below 78. Even in years when the air temp has been in the 90s, wetsuits have been legal. The lake water temp watch will begin on the website forum usually a week or so before.
The newer bike course has an eastern and a western loop. There is about 2000 feet of climbing in the first loop. Only one large hill - sugarloaf, but the rollers can take their toll after a while. The second loop is pretty flat, but wind can be a problem here - a large part of the last 20 miles is almost due east.
The run course is pretty flat around the lake, with a short spike on to the trail. If you're slow like me it can get mighty lonely after dark.
The race is well run and supported (I've done some m-dots as well). There was some grumbling a few years ago due to confusion about a hurricane brewing in the gulf, but I think the RD has taken any criticism to heart. I've got nothing but high marks for the race - and its a great value too!
2009-03-23 11:46 AM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Great info...thanks!  I've done Wildman twice and may come up to do the Moss Park in July.  At least I have some experience swimming in the iced tea.
2009-03-23 4:46 PM

New user
I am thinking about comong over from NZ for this race. will it be on even if it is Pending Sanction. How many are normally in the Ironman field? Whats the pre race support like. Is there bike mechanics on hand . What is the weather like in october in the area.
thanks
2009-03-24 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2035437

User image

1) It will be on.

2) There will be mech. on hand.

3) The weather is ~82*F avg high

4) ~250 competitors

2009-08-25 9:05 PM

I'm in, can't wait for October to get here and see if I can get this first one under my belt.
2009-09-14 9:24 AM

New user

Well we are now 6 weeks out from the race (my first IM) and I am starting get excited! Just had my 2nd half of the season and that went well, in 2 weeks I will do a full IM aqua-velo race in preparation for this race.  So far my training for the most part is on track but my ugly medical issues seem to pop up here and there--oh well, just grin and bare it.

Let's talk fans and spectators.  For those of you who have done the race, is there a good place on the oppisite of the lake for fans and tailgators to cheer.  I've noticed that most spectators for these races stay by the start/finish and my husband has been finding places on the course where people really need the cheering because there's already people in the usual places.  Also, does anyone else have spouses, friends and/or family that will be out there that will be looking for other tailgaters to hook up with?  Usually, my husband shows up with tons of food, adult beverages, chairs, cowbells, a boombox with motivational toons blasting and signage. If anyone would like to hook up with him and start a cheering group let me know!!

Chat later,

Jill

2009-09-16 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2404769

User image

jrpower - 2009-09-14 10:24 AM Well we are now 6 weeks out from the race (my first IM) and I am starting get excited! Just had my 2nd half of the season and that went well, in 2 weeks I will do a full IM aqua-velo race in preparation for this race.  So far my training for the most part is on track but my ugly medical issues seem to pop up here and there--oh well, just grin and bare it.

Let's talk fans and spectators.  For those of you who have done the race, is there a good place on the oppisite of the lake for fans and tailgators to cheer.  I've noticed that most spectators for these races stay by the start/finish and my husband has been finding places on the course where people really need the cheering because there's already people in the usual places.  Also, does anyone else have spouses, friends and/or family that will be out there that will be looking for other tailgaters to hook up with?  Usually, my husband shows up with tons of food, adult beverages, chairs, cowbells, a boombox with motivational toons blasting and signage. If anyone would like to hook up with him and start a cheering group let me know!!

Chat later,

Jill

I am not sure, but I am doing the half there next weekend. I will keep an eye out for where the spectators are.
2009-09-29 8:27 AM

New user

Had the ChesapeakeMan IM distance AquaVelo in Maryland this past weekend in preparation for the GF! What a confidence builder that was for me to be able to go into the GF knowing that the swim and bike are non-issues.  How's everyone else feeling going into this race.

Still looking for spectators to hangout and tailgate with my husband for the marathon. 

Snooze: Did you find a good tailgating location on the route where extra cheering was needed?

Chat soon,

Jill
2009-10-16 9:45 PM

One more week!!!  I did the augusta half a few weeks ago in about 4:50, and felt awesome doing it.  That has been a big confidence builder, but on the downside, my wife is sick and I'm trying to will myself not to catch what she's got before the race.  Also just got back from a vacation to Kona where I watched the Ironman and volunteered at the medical tent.  Let me tell you how eye opening it was to see how many people end up in the tent broken down.  I was thinking it would be more inspirational than anything else, but I think that the lesson I learned was that you can't stop respecting the distance no matter how good you feel and you have to stick with your game plan.  If you feel amazing, bottle it up until the second half of the run.  Other than that, I was also surprised to see that the bike course is different this year.  I think they changed in mid-september.  There's no longer a flat western loop.  It's a hilly east loop followed by another eastern loop similar to the first.  That worries me a little bit, because I might need to rethink my game plan.  I was going to be conservative on the first half of the bike, then hammer out the flats.  Now I'm wondering if I hold back on the entire bike, and really save a lot for the run.  I'm also keeping an eye on the weather.  Right now, the forecast is 85-66 with 30% chance of storms.  I was hoping for highs of around 78.

2009-10-16 10:04 PM

Master
Good luck to everyone doing this race. I did it last year and had a blast!
2009-10-19 2:43 PM

New user

I'm getting psyched, too! I will be driving down to Clermont on Thursday and will arrive that night.

I knew that they were changing the second loop, but I didn't know it was going to be a second hilly one.  That sort of stinks in that I was hoping to make up some time riding in aero on flat roads.  Oh well--it is what ever it is and there's nothing I can do about it anyway. 
2009-10-20 12:57 PM
in reply to: #2431545

User image

jrpower - 2009-09-29 9:27 AM Had the ChesapeakeMan IM distance AquaVelo in Maryland this past weekend in preparation for the GF! What a confidence builder that was for me to be able to go into the GF knowing that the swim and bike are non-issues.  How's everyone else feeling going into this race.

Still looking for spectators to hangout and tailgate with my husband for the marathon. 

Snooze: Did you find a good tailgating location on the route where extra cheering was needed?

Chat soon,

Jill

Sorry, forgot to check back in.

The day before the FL Challenge I got hit by a truck and broke a vertebrae in my back. Needless to say, I missed the race and will be MIA this weekend for the big one.

Pretty down about it, but Im not dead. And I already got a wicked nice replacement bike. I had a Trek 5000 road and got a new Giant TCR Advanced 2. I stuck with a road bike due to the position a tri bike would put my spine in.

Good luck y'all!
2009-10-21 10:11 PM

New user

Snooze sorry to hear about your accident; hopefully you'll be back in the saddle again by next season!

Well this is the last time I'll be checking in pre-race, because I'll be computerless starting tomorrow.  Good luck to all and I'll see you all on the course!! ;-)

Jill
2009-10-25 7:53 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
I hope everyone got through it!! I was reading some of the gory details on Slowtwitch and it sounds like it must have been epic. I thought the course was tough before but someone described Sugarloaf as 'just another hill', so Fred the RD must have found a way to make things even harder. +thewind +humidity..ouch.

2009-10-30 10:12 PM

Everyone else alive?  Damn that was a tough race.  I think that the bike course has to be one of the most challenging ironman bike courses out there.  Granted it was my first ironman and I've got nothing to compare it to, but when the hardest, steepest part is from miles 100-110, you've got a sick race planner.  I held just above 19 mph on the bike and was 18th overall with my bike split.  I'm not sure if my ranking was high because of the small field and there weren't a ton of studs, or if it was because the course was just that difficult and I hit it too hard.  I totally was out of gas on the run and ended up teetering on the verge of leg cramps for the majority of it.  All in all, I was glad I did it, but I don't know if I'd recommend this one as a first ironman.  The field was small, so you're on your own.  The roads are mostly open, and I was NOT impressed with the traffic management by the cops as I almost got hit a few times. 
2009-11-15 6:37 PM

User image

Bike was insanely hard. I definitely feel like I accomplished something.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Great Floridian Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed