of 4

2009-02-28 11:49 AM
in reply to: #1986717

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Subject: RE: The Biggest ... Liar??
Jon311024 - 2009-02-27 4:37 PM
Yeah I'm def. not buying the whole "time constraint" theory.  ...

I do buy the "time constraint" part. I've been around some "reality" shows filmed locally and was amazed by the tight schedules. One of my friends who is a famous singer was scheduled to the minute for 17 hours per day over three days for about 20 total minutes of airtime.

But if the show was going to promote that they ran a whole marathon, they should have run it and been honest about the time. IMO, it would have been fine to run it out of order as long as they covered every inch of the course. Eg. they could have filmed the finish early due to lighting or something and then gone back and rerun the parts of the course they missed.

When I saw the time I (gullibly) assumed that the guy had a huge running background (like 32 minute 10ks in college or something) before he put on all the weight.

2009-02-28 2:52 PM
in reply to: #1986526

Extreme Veteran
I could have handled the "film the finish early and then go back and actually finish it scenario."  But there is no way I could have had this huge celebration at the end and like gotten a medal and every thing when I cut the course short.  I dunno why they didn't just film him doing a 10k or a 1/2 marathon.  I was readin some guy's blog yesterday that ran the whole race in front of them and he finished right behind the big tv scene where it showed them crossing the finish line.  He said he went ballistic on everyone, yellin at the couple as well as the show producers that they were all cheaters.  I couldn't help laughin my a** off when I was reading it, but I def. still felt for the guy. 
2009-02-28 3:04 PM
in reply to: #1987616

User image

scoobysdad - 2009-02-28 12:30 PM
Dream Chaser - 2009-02-28 9:13 AM

If you cheat... you will know and have to carry that anchor of a burden with you all your life.  When you're 80-years-old, sitting in a rocking chair on a porch at the old age home, in the back of your mind -- you'll know that you're a cheater

I think those of us who are honest like to believe this. But i think people who cheat then lie to cover it up eventually start to believe their own stories. Case in point... OJ.

And where's OJ now?  Karma caught up with his arse quickly!  Karma wasn't waiting till his next life time.  And O.J. was convicted this time around EXACTLY 13 YEARS to the day after he was acquitted of murdering Nicole and Ron. Now if you truly think that's a 100% coincidence, then must not possess an ounce of faith in your body.  Cheaters never win.  Never.

Edited by Dream Chaser 2009-02-28 3:05 PM
2009-02-28 6:31 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I wonder if he would have finished sub-6 hours if it weren't for the production team and the filming that they wanted to do.  Who knows?

I don't like the way that they handled this.  Lots of people struggle in their first marathon and take more than 6 hours.  Why lie about the time when people could see the clock? 

2009-03-03 8:01 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Dane and Jillian were on Good Morning today and mostly talked about the Marathon and how he didn't run the whole thing.

He said that there was a 6 hour cut off and at mile 17 the producers realized that he wouldn't finish in time so they suggested they drive. Dane said he regretted doing it but wanted to please the show as they wanted the money shot of him finishing and he felt he owed the show a lot for all the help they gave him. He and his wife went back and ran the 3 miles they skipped later he said. He and his wife are doing another Mary in April so he can redeem himself. 

2009-03-03 8:15 AM

User image

Runner

Who cares?  Why does what this guy did or didn't do matter to any of us or our accomplishments?  How many times do people say on this site that the only thing that matters is what you do personally, not what other people do?  His actions have not diminished my accomplishments in any way, shape, or form; they have only diminished his.

2009-03-03 8:44 AM
in reply to: #1986717

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
(this may have already been said, so sorry if it has) but the time constraint wasn't from the production crew but the race. They had a 6 hour time cut-off and they weren't going to make it to the finish before that. They wanted a finish shot to be "official" and it wouldn't have been had they came in after the 6 hour mark. ie no finish line.
2009-03-03 8:46 AM
in reply to: #1993606

User image

Runner

Aimster - 2009-03-03 9:44 AM (this may have already been said, so sorry if it has) but the time constraint wasn't from the production crew but the race. They had a 6 hour time cut-off and they weren't going to make it to the finish before that. They wanted a finish shot to be "official" and it wouldn't have been had they came in after the 6 hour mark. ie no finish line.

Actually, according to the race director, the cut-off time is notional at best.  They have kept the finish line up for 8+ hours in the past; they tend to keep it up until the last finisher comes across.

If they had done research, or talked to the RD, they would have known this.

2009-03-03 8:52 AM
in reply to: #1993552

User image

Pro
Burbs
Scout7 - 2009-03-03 9:15 AM

Who cares?  Why does what this guy did or didn't do matter to any of us or our accomplishments?  How many times do people say on this site that the only thing that matters is what you do personally, not what other people do?  His actions have not diminished my accomplishments in any way, shape, or form; they have only diminished his.

How does anyone cheating (in a race that I'm not running) affect me?  How does an Olympic athlete abusing performance enhancing drugs affect me?  To me it's about the integrity of the sport(s).

2009-03-03 8:59 AM
in reply to: #1993631

User image

Runner
trishie - 2009-03-03 9:52 AM

How does anyone cheating (in a race that I'm not running) affect me?  How does an Olympic athlete abusing performance enhancing drugs affect me?  To me it's about the integrity of the sport(s).

So what?  Does his inability to finish somehow mean your accomplishment has been lessened?  Do we think that somehow the sport of running is no longer what it used to be because some guy on TV didn't actually do what he said he did?

2009-03-03 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1993658

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Scout7 - 2009-03-03 9:59 AM

So what?  Does his inability to finish somehow mean your accomplishment has been lessened?  Do we think that somehow the sport of running is no longer what it used to be because some guy on TV didn't actually do what he said he did?

Suppose the winner of the Boston Marathon was discovered to cut the course.  Is it OK for us to care then?

If so, let us know where the line is, you know, at what point it is proper for us to care about such things.

2009-03-03 9:13 AM
in reply to: #1993665

User image

Runner
newleaf - 2009-03-03 10:00 AM
Scout7 - 2009-03-03 9:59 AM

Suppose the winner of the Boston Marathon was discovered to cut the course.  Is it OK for us to care then?

If so, let us know where the line is, you know, at what point it is proper for us to care about such things.

I believe that's happened already.

I'm trying to figure out when I should care about the actions and words of others as well.  We care about this guy, but we shouldn't care about the people who say he had no business attempting the marathon in the first place.

The moral outrage over this is amusing to me.  I don't feel that the integrity of the sport has been compromised in any way, because he was caught and punished.  That's the way the system works.   He cheated.  Shame on him.  I still fail to see how his cheating has affected my running in any way.

2009-03-03 9:14 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama

Most everything has already been covered really, so my input is nearly moot.

However, here's a tidbit from Runners World talking about the issue:

"The official clock read 5:53:48, but some of the red LED lights weren’t working and the hours were obscured. According to sources at Reveille, an editor thought that the time read 3 hours and 53 minutes."

Regardless, I applaud the man for attempting and doing his best on the course. It's that drive that really motivates others. I do however think NBC dropped the ball and helped hurt his reputation regarding the issue. A little research on their part could've prevente the whole thing.

I actually feel pretty bad for him. I mean, his hard work and him completing something so tough is completely overshadowed by a goof on somone elses part.

2009-03-03 9:23 AM
in reply to: #1987203

User image

Expert
Woodridge, IL

patchadams - 2009-02-27 10:53 PM THe other member of the black team was talking about completing an ironman, but described the mileage of a Half Ironman......still impressive if he does it, but still its a lie.

I noticed that too when that aired a few weeks back and I was like "stop calling it an ironman"!!  I haven't done either yet and am in awe of anyone that can complete them but a half is a half and a full is a full.

Looks like their people need a lesson in endurance sports because both of these = massive FAIL.

2009-03-03 9:24 AM
in reply to: #1993718

User image

Expert
Woodridge, IL
LostSheep - 2009-03-03 9:14 AM

"The official clock read 5:53:48, but some of the red LED lights weren’t working and the hours were obscured. According to sources at Reveille, an editor thought that the time read 3 hours and 53 minutes."

Regardless, I applaud the man for attempting and doing his best on the course. It's that drive that really motivates others. I do however think NBC dropped the ball and helped hurt his reputation regarding the issue. A little research on their part could've prevente the whole thing.

I actually feel pretty bad for him. I mean, his hard work and him completing something so tough is completely overshadowed by a goof on somone elses part.

If that's true then I find it REALLY interesting that no one is correcting the time statement outright.  Unless I missed it, Dane never said that the time itself was incorrect.

2009-03-03 10:54 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I think it would have made better TV to see this guy achieving his goal and not quitting regardless of the time cut-off. To see him push himself and still have his friends and family at the line, well after the cutoff time had passed would have been dramatic in my opinion.

2009-03-03 11:58 AM
in reply to: #1994030

User image

Expert
Woodridge, IL

jford2309 - 2009-03-03 10:54 AM I think it would have made better TV to see this guy achieving his goal and not quitting regardless of the time cut-off. To see him push himself and still have his friends and family at the line, well after the cutoff time had passed would have been dramatic in my opinion.

What did you say?  I couldn't read because I was distracted by the pic of your abs!

2009-03-03 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not to belabor a discussion but I am wondering if there will be any mention or correction or what occured in tonights episode. A blurb before the start maybe apologizing and explaining. My bet is that they will ignore it and get on with the show but it would be interesting to see the producers owning up to a production snaffu to the whole US  audience and not just those who like to endure pain.
2009-03-03 1:18 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Honestly I think everybody is seriously overreacting to the whole thing.

Anyone who actually thinks reality shows happen like they are edited is smoking crack.  Reality shows are ALL about editing.  They pick exact moments and facial expressions to make the viewer feel a certain way about the contestants.  It's not a documentary, it's a story.

SO WHAT?  SO THE F*CK WHAT he didn't finish the marathon?  Yippy skippy.  That doesn't ruin anyone else's accomplishment or make him a bad person.  It's hard to blame the contestants on a reality show for what makes it to the screen.  Same thing with Bob's big drama session last week.  It was probably a five minute event that NBC jumped on and made into 30 minutes of drama.  I bet Bob was embarrassed when he saw the final version.

Gray's Anatomy had an entire episode where the cast kept saying "triathAlon" instead of triathlon.  TBL did the same thing in an episode last year.  THE PEOPLE EDITING AND CREATING THESE SHOWS ARE NOT TRIATHLETES AND RUNNERS!  Everyone's in an uproar over this as if peole actually CARED what we do.

News flash people...we're the only ones that care about officially finishing, running the whole race, how the heck the name is actually pronounced, etc.  You can't expect everyone else to care.  The overarching theme here is that he wouldn't have even STARTED the marathon six months ago.  How about we look at that aspect of it?

2009-03-03 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1993753

User image

Elite
the desert
SKDickey - 2009-03-03 7:24 AM
LostSheep - 2009-03-03 9:14 AM

If that's true then I find it REALLY interesting that no one is correcting the time statement outright.  Unless I missed it, Dane never said that the time itself was incorrect.

This whole thing is off....

He hasn't disputed the 3:53 for his 23 miles (although others have said he was driven more than that). 

If it was only 3 miles and the time is correct, he couldn't do those 3 miles @ a 40 minute mile pace to get under 6 hours?

NBC should have done their due diligence on this

2009-03-03 1:25 PM
in reply to: #1994445

User image

Elite
the desert
jldicarlo - 2009-03-03 11:18 AM

Anyone who actually thinks reality shows happen like they are edited is smoking crack.  Reality shows are ALL about editing.  They pick exact moments and facial expressions to make the viewer feel a certain way about the contestants.  It's not a documentary, it's a story.

SO WHAT?  SO THE F*CK WHAT he didn't finish the marathon?  Yippy skippy.  That doesn't ruin anyone else's accomplishment or make him a bad person.  It's hard to blame the contestants on a reality show for what makes it to the screen.  Same thing with Bob's big drama session last week.  It was probably a five minute event that NBC jumped on and made into 30 minutes of drama.  I bet Bob was embarrassed when he saw the final version.

Gray's Anatomy had an entire episode where the cast kept saying "triathAlon" instead of triathlon.  TBL did the same thing in an episode last year.  THE PEOPLE EDITING AND CREATING THESE SHOWS ARE NOT TRIATHLETES AND RUNNERS!  Everyone's in an uproar over this as if peole actually CARED what we do.

News flash people...we're the only ones that care about officially finishing, running the whole race, how the heck the name is actually pronounced, etc.  You can't expect everyone else to care.  The overarching theme here is that he wouldn't have even STARTED the marathon six months ago.  How about we look at that aspect of it?

I think people are outraged because it does belittle their accomplishments and other peoples impressions. Yes, it may be a bit shallow - - but WE do care about our times.

I ran a 3:52 marathon this January. I'm pretty proud of the work and time I put in. Someone not involved in running/triathlon saw the show, and, knowing I'm a runner, asked how my times were.

"Oh, you guys run about the same"

Ain't no way we run the same.....

2009-03-03 1:28 PM
in reply to: #1994474

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Fitzy - 2009-03-03 12:25 PM
jldicarlo - 2009-03-03 11:18 AM

I think people are outraged because it does belittle their accomplishments and other peoples impressions. Yes, it may be a bit shallow - - but WE do care about our times.

I ran a 3:52 marathon this January. I'm pretty proud of the work and time I put in. Someone not involved in running/triathlon saw the show, and, knowing I'm a runner, asked how my times were.

"Oh, you guys run about the same"

Ain't no way we run the same.....

And here is where I just have to say...why do you care what he thinks?

Don't you get asked twelve times a day if that last triathlon you did was a "full" one?  And they have no idea what a "full" one is?  All I'm saying is that to 99% of America the mistake doesn't matter...what matters is that he got off the couch and started the darn thing.  So what if your coworker thinks you run as fast as Dane?  Honestly...I think he could beat ME at a marathon...I don't think he's as slow as everyone thinks he is.

2009-03-03 2:02 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

People here care because this is what we DO.

Of course 99%+ of the population doesn't care, of course they don't know that 3 mi is a marathon is a big deal, that the difference between 3:53 and 5:53 is, well, 2 hours.

WE care because we spend a lot of time, energy, and money training and racing. ... 99.9% of America also doesn't care about GU v. cliff shots, body glide, wheels, or the pros and cons of two piece tri suits... but we do.

OF COURSE reality shows edit and strong "encourage" contestants to do, say, act, complain, argue, etc.

I don't think that the TBL contestant's cheat in any way diminishes people who DO finish 26.2, but I do think it says a lot about someone's character if they cheat in a race.

Does what Blaine did affect me?  No, of course not.  It doesn't change my PRs.

But, to me, cheating is cheating.

Who here wouldn't be outraged if it came out that Deena Kastor was using performance enhancing drugs? or that the winner of the marathon of the oly had a van drive him/ her a few miles?

2009-03-03 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1994555

User image

Runner
trishie - 2009-03-03 3:02 PM

Who here wouldn't be outraged if it came out that Deena Kastor was using performance enhancing drugs? or that the winner of the marathon of the oly had a van drive him/ her a few miles?

Me.

2009-03-03 2:21 PM
in reply to: #1994569

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Scout7 - 2009-03-03 3:10 PM
trishie - 2009-03-03 3:02 PM

Me.

I haven't read any other part of this thread, but...me neither.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Biggest ... Liar?? Rss Feed  

of 4