of 4

2009-02-27 3:50 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: The Biggest ... Liar??

http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2009/02/biggest-loser-p.html

http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2009/02/th e-biggest-los.html

The Biggest Loser" -- or is that "Biggest Liar"? -- fabricates account of contestant finishing marathon

FINAL UPDATE 10:35 PM ET: NBC has responded; statement below.

One of my long-longtime readers, David Kleeman, writes: "I'm a huge fan of 'The Biggest Loser.' Love the show and all that it stands for. I'm also big into the marathoning community and knew back in January that one of the members of the Black team (either Blaine or Dane) had attempted a marathon in Arizona, but did not complete it. Instead, he had been picked up by a van along the course and dropped back down somewhere prior to the finish and then he crossed the finish line and collected a medal a la Rosie Ruiz. He is not listed in the finishers results (it was the Arizone Desert Classic on 1/31).

"What I didn't know was how the producers at NBC would report it. I was so disgusted to see that at the end of the Biggest Loser last night they did the whole segment on Dane and his wife doing a marathon and then reported that Dane completed the 26 mile race in 3 hours and 53 minutes. What else is completely falsified???"

David -- whose integrity is beyond question, as far as I'm concerned -- also passed along this blog posting from someone else who ran the same marathon and wrote:

"Oh, and those cameras behind me? Those are for Dane Patterson, a contestant on The Biggest Loser. He was there with his wife, running the marathon, though J started calling him The Biggest Liar. He and his wife were several miles behind me throughout the entire race, but around mile 17 they got picked up by a van and driven to the end of the course, where they filmed the grand 'crossing the finish line' finale with all the family cheering. I'm hoping that they televise it as a half marathon, since I know he ran at least that far, which is truly a great accomplishment. It'd be a shame if he got coerced into being less than honest, poor guy, especially since he's LDS like us."

And then this appeared in the comments the night before the broadcast:

"Hi! I'm Carli Patterson wife to the biggest loser contestant Dane Patterson. I had herd about your post and wanted to give you an explanation of what happened. I am so proud of my husband and his accomplishments. This has been an amazing experience for our family and unfortunatly this marathon has been a little exaggerated. In this industry you are always on a time frame and sometimes it is out of your control. We had stopped along the way to film at a water station and to make up for lost time our producers drove us ONLY 3 miles up the road. I am sorry if this has offended you in any way, but we are still incredibly happy about the 23 miles we ran. We were not listed as completing the marathon. Dane is an honest LDS Dad and I hope that they do say he completed this marathon because had time allowed he would have!"

Unfortunately Carli is contradicted by her own husband, who says in the above video clip, "It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life to run side by side with my wife for an entire marathon."

Anyway, I have put in an inquiry with the NBC publicist on the show and hopefully we will have a response up here shortly. here is the network's official response, just issued at 10:35 tonight:

In the final segment of last night's episode of "The Biggest Loser," which updated viewers on the status of an eliminated contestant, the former contestant was shown running a marathon in his home state of Arizona. NBC today learned that the contestant did not, in fact, run the entire marathon as depicted in the segment. Because the segment as aired was contrary to NBC policy, we are working with the program producers to determine how this occurred, and to ensure that corrective action is taken.

FOLLOWUP STORY: "The Biggest Loser" producers issue an apology

Underlining is mine. Thanks to Melissa Vetricek for the original tip!

UPDATE: In the comments, Jerry Nairn, another racer, says the Pattersons did not volunteer the information that they had van-aided times. "They were reported to the race director and disqualified," he writes, "not that they were honest about it."

UPDATE 2: NBC cancelled the weekly phoner with the "Biggest Loser" eliminee -- that would be Dane -- at the last moment. And is not responding to me.

UPDATE 3: A reader sends along this link from Carli's blog showing her in full denial mode. NOTE: If any of the links or video go down, please let me know as I have backups of all of it.

2009-02-27 4:03 PM
in reply to: #1986526

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: The Biggest ... Liar??
That's funny.  I watch that show all the time, and I remember thinking in my head "wow, 3:53? That's a great time considering his size and also that it was his 1st marathon."  Tisk tisk....
2009-02-27 4:06 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

NBC knew what happened.  The husband/wife made errors in judgment to act the way they did, probably due to pressure from TBL show.  Knowing the volatility of ferreting out BS with the internet these days, are they actually surprised this came out so fast?

But people cheat in life all the time and make false claims to make themselves feel/look better every day.  The dude and his wife are getting dragged through the mud because of this.  And the real sad part about it?  It is the running and tri community that propagated it ......... Not at all something I would expect from those communities.

I feel sorry for them.

2009-02-27 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Funny...my wife and I were baffled at his time when we saw the 3:53 on the show.
2009-02-27 4:12 PM

User image

Regular

I was thinking the same thing! I was actually feeling bad about myself. I've been running for years and this guy does his first marathon in sub 4 hours with about 2 months of running in his whole life! So did he only do 17 or 23 miles because 23 is still impressive, granted they did lie about him finishing.

2009-02-27 4:16 PM
in reply to: #1986578

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
goknights1 - 2009-02-27 4:12 PM

I was thinking the same thing! I was actually feeling bad about myself. I've been running for years and this guy does his first marathon in sub 4 hours with about 2 months of running in his whole life! So did he only do 17 or 23 miles because 23 is still impressive, granted they did lie about him finishing.

It's got to be 17 miles in 3:56. Running 23 miles in 4 ish hours still puts him at just over 10 minute miles... I doubt it.

2009-02-27 4:18 PM

User image

Champion
MA

We were surprised at the finishing time as well. It made me depressed as I couldn't run that fast after losing almost 100 pounds in 6 years and training for tris since '04 and he is still quite a bit overweight.

His cousin is training for a HIM and when he was voted out his home interview was mucked up as well as to the distances....he said he was training for an Ironman that was 1.5 mile swim, 80 mile bike and then 1/2 Marathon.

In watching the full clip on line he does use the word half Ironman but when edited they included the part that he refers to it as an Ironman.

Where are the fact checkers?

2009-02-27 4:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
The fact checkers are reading ratings charts, not checking facts, c'mmmmmmonnn!
2009-02-27 5:07 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

I looked at my wife when they said that he ran a marathon in sub four hours and I said, "Wow! That's a bad-azz run at 250 pounds"  I couldn't think of anything thing else to say.

I have busted my hump for 6 months on the running front and ran at least every other day.  I had to slow down my long run distances when my knees, ankles and quads were crying from the pounding that my then 220 lb body was giving them.

After all of my hard work, I am hoping for a 4:30.  4:20 is my stretch goal.  Finishing and having a good time is my primary goal.

I was a feeling that my progress was nothing if he ran a sub-four at 250+

2009-02-27 5:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denton
I'm sorry, but I really don't buy the whole "time" issue - they were running out of time?  Really?  To film something for one of the most popular shows on television?  The fact that they lied about it in the first place is just sad, and that they then probably lied again to cover for themselves... ?  Sure they weren't "listed" as finishing, but really... let's be honest.  How many people really read the list of finishers?  And how many people saw them cross the finish line on TV?  Ok.  I don't think anybody wants to demean the amazing things these folks accomplish on that show, but what kind of standard are they setting for everyone else struggling to lose weight and lead an active lifestyle when they choose to lie about their accomplishments?  It's disappointing, and to me it says a lot about the priorites of the show and the people on it. 
2009-02-27 5:24 PM
in reply to: #1986561

User image

Expert
Decatur

Jon311024 - 2009-02-27 5:03 PM That's funny.  I watch that show all the time, and I remember thinking in my head "wow, 3:53? That's a great time considering his size and also that it was his 1st marathon."  Tisk tisk....

x2

I was like wow. Thought it was a bit odd, but was wow'd nonetheless.

2009-02-27 5:36 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Damn, now I know who gets kicked off since I havent watched the TIVO yet.  That is BS if they showed someone finishing since its a slap in the face to everyone who busted their A$$ to train and finish the marathon.  As we all know the last few miles suck.
2009-02-27 5:37 PM

Extreme Veteran
Yeah I'm def. not buying the whole "time constraint" theory.  This show is one of NBC's big time moneymakers, so I don't think they are going to go out of business if they spend an extra hour or 2 with a guy while he finishes the WHOLE distance.  I love the show because it is so inspiring to see people come as far as they do on there, but this little incident has left me quite uninspired lol....
2009-02-27 5:51 PM
in reply to: #1986717

User image

Master
syracuse

wait a second.  You mean a reality show executives were able to manipulate a contestent to do something they might later regret?

I don't beleive.  reality show execs clearly have the best interest of the cast first, ratings second.

2009-02-27 6:09 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
I haven't seen the episode yet (have it DVR'd and plan on watching tonight when I get home from work)...but reading about this really leaves a bad taste in my mouth about TBL now. Very disappointing and insulting, IMO...to both fans of the show as well as all the other runners that actually DID cross the finish line of that marathon. Shame on NBC & TBL.
2009-02-27 7:05 PM
in reply to: #1986567

New user
Daremo - 2009-02-27 2:06 PM

Knowing the volatility of ferreting out BS with the internet these days, are they actually surprised this came out so fast?

Yeah, this amazes me.  I mean, it's ben shown time and time again, in the past 8-10 years, that any BS will be sorted out via the vast thing that is the internet, and yet people still try to cover things up.  Does nobody get it?  Or is the average person just dumb?  (rhetorical question, I know the answer to that one...)

2009-02-27 7:17 PM
in reply to: #1986827

User image

Veteran
caelric - 2009-02-27 8:05 PM

Daremo - 2009-02-27 2:06 PM

Knowing the volatility of ferreting out BS with the internet these days, are they actually surprised this came out so fast?

Yeah, this amazes me.  I mean, it's ben shown time and time again, in the past 8-10 years, that any BS will be sorted out via the vast thing that is the internet, and yet people still try to cover things up.  Does nobody get it?  Or is the average person just dumb?  (rhetorical question, I know the answer to that one...)

Unfortunately, even this dialogue adds to ratings and increases viewers. I wouldn't be surprised if the decisions to lie about stuff like this actually accounts for viewership due to controversy. Just ask Britney Spears.
2009-02-27 8:08 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

I've heard that the actual finish was 5:53 -- the bulbs were doctored to look like 3:53.  don't know if that's true, but that would be a more accurate time.

I highly doubt he could do it in sub 4:30, which is about what it would have been if he did the missing three miles.

2009-02-27 8:15 PM

User image

Expert
New York
I also really like what this show stands for. Unfortunately, the show isn't following its own messages, which are that good things don't come easy, nothing is an overnight fix, you gotta work at it, it's the journey, not the destination that counts, etc. all those great messages they're trying to get out to people who are overweight and out of shape and inspire them to get off the couch and accomplish something.

My question is, would viewers not tune in anymore if the Where Are They Now segment had Dane saying, "I tried to do a full marathon with my wife. But I'm still not quite there yet, and was unable to finish the complete distance--I did get to 23 miles, but then the finish line was closed. I'm going to try for another one in April, and this time I hope to actually finish the whole thing in the allotted time." I would have been more impressed that he didn't give up, that he didn't let some stupid editing trick show him accomplishing something he HADN'T ACCOMPLISHED. But for those who feel sorry for him for being ridiculed now--he went along with the fake finish line footage willingly. Nobody held a gun to his head.

To me, it's akin to someone airbrushing an "After" weightloss photo. It's fake and it's cheating. And I don't care how pushy the producers are, you can refuse to cross the finish line for the cameras and have some integrity. I personally find it insulting to all those people who ran that marathon who came in DFL or took a DNF. Crossing the finish line is for those who complete the distance on their own strength. I don't think that concept is particular to only the "running community." It's about integrity.

Big thumbs down to NBC and Dane and company. Shame.
2009-02-27 9:40 PM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD

This is being discussed in two seperate threads in CoJ:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=148343&posts=53&start=1

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=148497&posts=41&start=1

If you look at one of the pictues in the second page of the 1st linked thread, you can definitely see that it was close to 6 hours.  

2009-02-27 9:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Im glad you guys were able to answer my curiousity.  I had to back it up and freeze it on the time in disbelief of the 3:53. Then I went and looked up results and couldn't find him.  It makes a lot of sense now as sub 4 is an excellent time for a first timer, the weight issue, and the fact that he would have only had a couple or few weeks to get run focused.  I have been busting my for the past while and I am hoping to go sub 2 hours in my first half-marathon tomorrow morning. 

2009-02-27 10:02 PM

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona
When I saw the episode last week I was shocked by what was being reported as Dane's finish time. I thought "no way in hell"! I'm saddened to see that somebody that has made so many changes to improve himself would fabricate his athletic achievements or allow others to create that deception. On second thought, I'm not surprised seeing as though this is a reality tv show.
2009-02-27 10:53 PM

THe other member of the black team was talking about completing an ironman, but described the mileage of a Half Ironman......still impressive if he does it, but still its a lie.
2009-02-28 9:13 AM

User image

If you cheat... you will know and have to carry that anchor of a burden with you all your life.  When you're 80-years-old, sitting in a rocking chair on a porch at the old age home, in the back of your mind -- you'll know that you're a cheater.  

Karma.  If you cheat, you will pay for it eventually and most likely indirectlly.  There are definitely spiritual penalties for cheating.  If not in this life, then perhaps the next.

Yeah, I really truly and genuinely believe that 100%.

Edited by Dream Chaser 2009-02-28 9:15 AM
2009-02-28 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1987479

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Dream Chaser - 2009-02-28 9:13 AM

If you cheat... you will know and have to carry that anchor of a burden with you all your life.  When you're 80-years-old, sitting in a rocking chair on a porch at the old age home, in the back of your mind -- you'll know that you're a cheater

I think those of us who are honest like to believe this. But i think people who cheat then lie to cover it up eventually start to believe their own stories. Case in point... OJ.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Biggest ... Liar?? Rss Feed  

of 4