General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ladies: Gear Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-03-23 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Hawkins
Subject: Ladies: Gear Question
After my first tri, I decided I needed to change gear before my next effort. For the first, I wore a pair of TYR unisex tri shorts and a TYR sports bra during the swim, adding a jersey over that for the bike and run. It was completely wrong for the swim. The low cut of the sports bra acted as a giant "scoop" in the water, and water went down the back of my shorts as well. I wanted to get something that more closely resembled my bathing suit, which is a Speedo "knee-length" (can't reveal that cellulite to the world!!), so I bought a Louis Garneau Pro one-piece.

The suit arrived yesterday and I tried it on. It fits great--tight, but not too tight, so it should be great for the swim. There's only one problem, or at least question: do I wear a sports bra under that? It doesn't have a shelf bra, but it gives a fair amount of compression up top--almost as much as a sports bra. (I have to tell you, I am fairly flat chested, so I don't need a lot of compression.) I tried it on with and without a sports bra. With, it feels very bulky and constricted up top. Still, I worry about trying it over a 5K run. (BTW: it has an inner liner up top, so modesty is served.)

I just want to know what more experienced tri'ers would suggest. Thanks.

2005-03-23 9:26 AM
in reply to: #133104

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: Ladies: Gear Question
For me, I would have to wear a sports bra...I would be too self-conscious, plus I want everything staying in place. I recently bought a skin suit to wear during triathlons and I wore it last weekend and it worked great, although, I had a wetsuit on over it in the swim so I guess I don't know how it would be in the water without the wetsuit. I did the entire triathlon in it so never had to worry about adding or taking away clothing. And yes, I do wear a sports bra under it.
2005-03-23 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
I am not particularly big up top (note midwestern understatement) and I can get away with just the tri suit. You should take it out for a test run beforehand to be sure you're comfortable. **Never do anything new on race day.**
2005-03-23 9:46 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
good question. I have been wondering the same thing. At this point, since all "extra" money (ya, like there is ever that...) is going towards a bike, I can't buy anything new. I was thinking of just swimming in my regular Tyr suit and then pulling bike shorts on after the swim. I have one suit that has enough shelf to not need a bra (midwestern understatment here too). I guess as it gets warmer out I'll just expereiment with what I have. what about swimming in bike shorts and a tight jog bra?
2005-03-23 9:54 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
i would have to wear a sports bra. best thing is probably to go for a run with it on and see how it feels. then, try the same run w/ it and a job bra. you might be just fine w/o a bra for a race, if the top has enough compression.
2005-03-23 9:56 AM
in reply to: #133126

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
For my first tri I wore my swimsuit and put on bike shorts after the swim and that worked fine. I've experimented with a few other things but short of a tri suit that's a pretty good way to go. I wouldn't recommend swimming in bike shorts.

2005-03-23 10:03 AM

User image

Regular
Pacific Northwest
Still relatively new at all the fancy gear I tried my first 'tri suit' last year for a Half IM and it worked pretty well for me.  I wore a two piece Speedo Tri suit (looks like a bikini with chamios crotch) under my wetsuit and when I got to T1 I just put on a pair of bike shorts and a jersey over top.  At T2 I took off my nasty bike clothes and put on a pair of shorts to cover my rear and finished up feeling comfortable.  I encourage you to wear your "race gear" at least twice before your big day.
2005-03-23 10:10 AM
in reply to: #133142

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
danae - 2005-03-23 9:03 AM

Still relatively new at all the fancy gear I tried my first 'tri suit' last year for a Half IM and it worked pretty well for me. I wore a two piece Speedo Tri suit (looks like a bikini with chamios crotch) under my wetsuit and when I got to T1 I just put on a pair of bike shorts and a jersey over top. At T2 I took off my nasty bike clothes and put on a pair of shorts to cover my rear and finished up feeling comfortable. I encourage you to wear your "race gear" at least twice before your big day.

Confused about concept of putting stuff on over the tri suit.... Does it just feel like too little coverage to you?
2005-03-23 10:11 AM

User image

Buttercup

I'm glad Kpar brought this up because it's been on my mind. I still have no idea what I'm going to wear during my first tri in 8 weeks.

It's too warm to wear a wetsuit (but I'm a little worried about jelly fish).

How do I put on a sportsbra after my swim? I'm a bit top-heavy; I need a bra. I can't wear one during the swim, can I? Is that practical?

Can I just wear my swimsuit and pull on bike shorts after my swim? Pull off bike shorts after my ride and put on more clothes?  Sounds like too much fussing. I did wear just my swimsuit during my 45 min walk/run this morning and it was quite comfortable.

Help!

2005-03-23 10:14 AM
in reply to: #133147

User image

molto veloce mama
find one that has NO cotton in it and will dry fast, and wear it under your suit. the one i used the last two races is a sugoi which dries VERY quickly. getting a job bra onto a wet body is a trick even houdini would have struggled with!
2005-03-23 10:24 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Personally I wear a sports bra under my Tyr tri suit. Trust me, you don't want to watch me jog to the finish line bouncing all over. It doesn't effect my swimming at all and really helps with the run. If you're larger on top like me, you might want to consider it. Try to find a wicking bra that will pull the water away from you so you dry out faster. Also, I use lots of Body glide around the bra to prevent chafing.

2005-03-23 10:29 AM
in reply to: #133157

User image

Buttercup

Ok, this helps. I'll find/wear a sportsbra under my swimsuit. Is a tri suit a swimsuit too? Can I wear a trisuit throughout the race without having to switch shorts and such?

If I find a good sportsbra, can I wear just the sportsbra and trisuit throughout the race? I've seen the trisuits in my LBS but I'm having trouble visualizing swimming in it.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a newbie and I need to be able to visualize my race; helps with the preparation and execution.

2005-03-23 10:36 AM
in reply to: #133126

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Understated Midwesterners, unite!
Last year for my sprint, I just swam in my speedo swimsuit and threw on my bike shorts at T1, then swapped those for running shorts at T2 (which was not actually necessary). If you are comfortable with the compression level of your swimsuit, that is a great way to go. I don't need a sports bra for compression, I only need it to hide the "high beams". The crazy pattern of my swimsuit took care of hiding them last year, but this year I am going to get a tri suit (on my lunch hour TODAY, CCLinIA - ) and I am just positive I am going to have to wear a sports bra underneath because of above mentioned issue. Something to think about if you are the same...
2005-03-23 10:42 AM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
kpar - 2005-03-23 5:58 AM
The suit arrived yesterday and I tried it on. It fits great--tight, but not too tight, so it should be great for the swim. There's only one problem, or at least question: do I wear a sports bra under that? It doesn't have a shelf bra, but it gives a fair amount of compression up top--almost as much as a sports bra. (I have to tell you, I am fairly flat chested, so I don't need a lot of compression.)

Kpar, I'm built like you and just got a 1 piece TYR tri suit. It doesn't have anything bra-wise underneath, but it does have a zipper up front. So I went ahead and bought an Under Armor sports bra to wear under it. Not really for support (cause I can easily go without) but more so that if I want to lower the front zipper a bit for more ventillation, I can. Also, I can just peel off the top part of the tri suit and leave it down around my waist w/ the sports bra on before the race. I also wanted a sports bra on underneath just in case the front zipper ever failed during the race.
2005-03-23 10:43 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Yes! A tri suit should allow you to go from swim to bike to run without ANY changing at all... For my first race I bought one from iron-girl, which is now www.flowersports.com they've got some really cute things on that site... If you don't want to use a one piece... (the only drawback I found was that it was a bit tricky in the porta pottie) Zoot makes nice two pieces. I really like the Zoot shorts... and I prefer the Zoot TRAINING top to race in... even over the Zoot racing top. I just think it's more flattering. Try www.teamestrogen.com also... they should have some good Zoot stuff there....

As far as wearing a bra underneath... check it out first... go for a 5K run without one and see how the girls hold up... if you can get away without one... I'd skip it... one less layer, one less thing to worry about. I did not have to wear a bra under my iron-girl configuration... and I'm medium chested.

I've worn tri specific shorts and just any old top before too... I usually wear some sort of a Nike top made out of dri-fit... so it doesn't cling to my body or cause chafing. The downside there is that there are no little pockets for your gels or anything like that... I've never changed clothes in transition... (Except for wetsuit off...) So I swim in whatever I've got on... I'm too distracted with just finding my bike and stuff like that... I can't engineer a wardrobe change also!!

Good Luck! Whizzzzz

2005-03-23 11:13 AM

User image

Regular
Pacific Northwest

I like the two piece tri suit for longer races since I inevitably have to 'use it' at some point or other.  I have a harder time getting out of a one piece (with legs) than the two piece.  I am rather large in the trunk (thighs) and so don't feel real comfortable without some covering on my legs.  Sprint distances I usually just wear a swimsuit or tri suit (one piece) and just throw on  shorts over my suit if I feel like it.  I don't usually add a bra because I don't have that problem on top only on the bottom.  : )

2005-03-23 11:32 AM
in reply to: #133185

User image

Buttercup

Kpar, sorry for the thread hijack. Mea culpa. I'm getting nervous about having my act together for my first tri - can you tell?

I think I will shop around for a one-piece trisuit. Zoot makes a front-zipper one piece with built-in bra that sounds promising.

2005-03-23 11:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA
I just read thru this thread and as with all things tri, what it comes down to is personal preference. I did 3 different things for my 3 tri's.

For tri #1, a sprint, I wore a regular speedo bathing suit during the swim. I put on a tank top and a pair of running shorts for the bike and kept those on for the run - no issues there. Being small on top, I didn't (don't) have any bounce issues.

For tri #2, an Oly, I wore a speedo bathing suit and tri shorts throughout the entire thing and threw on my TNT singlet for the bike and run.

For tri #3, another Oly, I wore a Hind sports bra during the swim and tri shorts under my wetsuit and put on my TNT singlet for the bike and run.

All in all, the 3rd time was the charm for me. I just purchased a Sugoi tri top (like a sports bra) and look fwd to testing it out. However if I don't start doing some core work to firm up those love handles, another tank top/singlet is going on!
2005-03-23 11:52 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Tri Lizard 2005-03-23 11:53 AM
2005-03-23 12:28 PM

Expert
Alabama
Not sure if anyone else has suggested it, but Under Amour makes a sports bra. That fabric dries increadably quick. They have them at Sports Authority.
2005-03-23 12:32 PM
in reply to: #133205

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I'm with you Tri Lizard!  The pic of me from my 1/2 IM last year with my wetsuit around my waist after the swim...SCARY!  I just wore bike shorts a sports bra under the wetsuit and as you said...it isn't one of the little cute sports bras.  I have not resorted to the last resort bra YET...though I am thinking about it.  For me, the sports bra is the most important piece of equipment in my entire ensemble.  It is by FAR where I end up chafe-ing the most.  Does anyone else have the problem where they can't get the chest part (that goes under your boobs) tight enough?  That's where I end up getting all red because it can't cinch down tight enough and slides up and down the entire run...ouchers!  I hope someday I am able to find a sports bra that actually works and is comfortable....

But to the person who asked all the original questions...yes, you can just swim in the sports bra...it works!  Don't swim in bike shorts...that hurt last year!  I am going to get some faster-drying tri shorts this year I think....

2005-03-23 12:35 PM
in reply to: #133205

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Tri Lizard - 2005-03-23 10:52 AM

I envy all of you gals that can just throw on a cute little, light sports bra or your pick of tri clothes! I on the other hand need the equivilant to a bullet proof vest/corset to make it through the run.

Yes, but although you can probably cut down your body fat and decrease your cup size, some of us will never ever know what it's like to have cleavage.
2005-03-23 12:50 PM

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
One thing I can't stand in the typical compression type sports bra is how it mashes you down and gives you one big monoboob. I use the Champion brand Shape Scoop bra. It has a nice contour to it, yet still supports quite nicely. It also has enough of a lining to it to hide the aforementioned beemer problem.
2005-03-23 12:50 PM
in reply to: #133233

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

CLLinIA - 2005-03-23 11:35 AM Yes, but although you can probably cut down your body fat and decrease your cup size, some of us will never ever know what it's like to have cleavage.

Not true...no matter how much weight I have lost, the boobs just keep on getting BIGGER.

When it comes to running and tri's, I would KILL for smaller boobs.  I would gladly give up cleavage (which I never show anyway!) to wear cute tri clothes.

2005-03-23 12:57 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I have to wear a bra. Lucky you if you don't. Actually I usually wear 2 becaue most of the sports bras don't have a whole lot of support. In the 3 races I have done there have been lots of non flat chested women with 2 bras on. I did a mock tri and tried to put a second sports top on while wet. NO WAY. I became hopelesly entangled and it took me about 5 minutes to straighten it all out. The 30 seconds or less that I might loose in drag on the swim is definately worth not trying to hurry and put on a second bra while wet.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ladies: Gear Question Rss Feed  

of 2