General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What got the newest newbies into Tris Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-03-05 8:40 AM

Regular
Hamilton
Subject: What got the newest newbies into Tris
Interested in finding out what got all of the newest first timers into the sport and where they found out about the races they're going to be doing.

2009-03-05 8:45 AM
in reply to: #1998793

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: What got the newest newbies into Tris

I started biking to do a charity ride, felt great after training and accomplishing my goal for the ride, felt i needed to find an outlet to continue improving my physical conditioning after battling some health issues related to weight and blood pressure. Googled and Found this site and all the great peeps, asked for recommendations for race sites, got lots and and signed up for my first race, did a second and like every other "A" Type personality here, i got hooked.

2009-03-05 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Lifting weights alot since college days.  Gym rat anyways.  Turning 30 soon and need a change and wanted to be walking around a little leaner anyway.  Got into cycling through spin classes and meeting people.  Realized I get bored as hell doing just one thing all the time so it was natural to want to do three things instead.  I was obsessed with golf for a couple years too and the bug (or addiction) is slightly waining (but still there).  Even know the initial capital outlay for Tri gear is high, golf runs pretty deep too...but golf doesn't get you in killer shape either...There's your stream of consciousness answer   I guess I just like to create new challenges for myself in a nutshell and got bored lifting weights 5 days a week.
2009-03-05 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1998822

Regular
Hamilton
Jay..where did you go to find out where to race?
2009-03-05 8:55 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs

kentiger - 2009-03-05 9:40 AM Interested in finding out what got all of the newest first timers into the sport and where they found out about the races they're going to be doing.

check out http://www.trifind.com

2009-03-05 8:57 AM

Regular
Hamilton
thanks trishie...I'm really interested in how people who know nothing about the sport find out where to get started (other than here on BT of course)

2009-03-05 9:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson

Went to a New Year's Eve party last year (12-31-2007) and met some guys there talking about signing up for a local sprint triathlon the following morning as soon as registration opened up on the website.  Started asking questions, got interested, got up the next morning at 7AM when registration opened up and registered.  Went back to bed and then told my wife what I had done a couple of hours later.  She thought I was nuts and pointed out that 'those guys' I was talking to at the party the night before were easily 15-20 years younger.  Anyway, she fully supported me throughout the training and it was a big change for me.  I had let myself become fairly sedentary and wasn't engaged in any significant fitness related sports.  In fact, I had never been involved in endurance sports at all, so it was a big change for me.  I have enjoyed the training because I saw fairly dramatic improvements throughout the year because I was starting from couch potato fitness level.  It motivated me more each time I PR'd on my bike or running. 

Anyway, prior to that night, I didn't know there was any triathlon other than an Ironman.  I was truly uninformed.  Now, I think it is fun as hell even though I will probably never be on a podium.  That is probably why I enjoy them so much, I don't feel any pressure.

Greg

2009-03-05 9:20 AM
in reply to: #1998842

Regular
Hamilton
BTW trishie...the quote in your blog is awesome..might have to add that to my list. And a kitten mom..that is awesome (I love my cats)
2009-03-05 9:27 AM

User image

pembroke pines

Well as a motocross racer I run and bike year round to stay in shape. My younger brother is a swimmer who convinced me to start swimming with him. After a few months of training I decided to enter a sprint tri to see where my fitness really was. After that race i've been hooked. I just finished my 2nd sprint last weekend and plan on working my way up to a HIM.

2009-03-05 9:35 AM

User image

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.
Last August I walked my bike from my house to the road for my first day of cycling and saw that the road was coned off. It turned out to be for the bike portion of a triathlon.  I said to myself, "I should train for next year's event."  Simple as that, really. Though my first tri is in just a couple of days, it's really a tune-up for that local event in August, my first A-race.
2009-03-05 9:39 AM

User image

Oklahoma City, OK

I left the Army in 2003 at 175 lbs. Since that time I have been between 205 and 245, usually around 220. I'm at 205 now and wanting to establish a healthy lifestyle. I have ample time for training and frankly I need something to keep my mind off my family while over here. I am planning on participating in the Redman Sprint in OKC in September. I found it through www.triokc.org.

2009-03-05 9:40 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama

Well I guess I officially got started this year in tri's. My first is in May. After that one, two more to call it a season for me I guess.

I've always been a runner & a swimmer. Just go out, pound asphalt and call it good. Jump in the pool and swim and all was well. It's all I had ever needed. Both came pretty natural to me, and I truly enjoyed them.

Unfortunately, I hairlined fractured my foot. Sidelined my running & swimming. Came back. Snow skiing accident and I needed knee surgery. Sidelined my running, kept swimming some. Came back. Gained weight. Started running again, stress fractured both legs. Sidelined my running. Picked up biking, kept swimming (joined Masters) to keep in shape. Now, coming back.

Doctor advised me to do strongly emphasize crosstraining. He liked my biking progress and thought it complimented well. He urged me to drop some weight and make some diet changes to avoid family medical problems. Took it one step further, I figured if I'm doing all three, I ought to make it work for something.

Googled something about triathlons and training and found BT. Lurked around, got info, and started adjusting my training schedules.

Decided it was time to make it real, told the missus, and signed up.

Running is back on track. Biking has picked up seriously w/ a real bike purchase. Swimming is just a great reason to wake up in the morning. Couldn't be better!

I just have everyone here to thank actually. So, Thanks fellow members of BT!

2009-03-05 9:47 AM
in reply to: #1998917

User image

Pro
Burbs

kentiger - 2009-03-05 10:20 AM BTW trishie...the quote in your blog is awesome..might have to add that to my list. And a kitten mom..that is awesome (I love my cats)

thanks!   right now we have three adult cats of our own + 2 foster kittens.

2009-03-05 9:54 AM

User image

Regular
Hollywood, FL

I was introduced to triathlon by my younger brother who competed in his first Tri OCT 08.  I visited him a few months later, and was amazed at what great shape he had gotten in as a result of his training.  It seemed that the sport had really given his life  a great boost, and I was happy for him.  At the time, however, it really never crossed my mind that Tri's would be something that I was interested in or could even do. 

I was slightly out of shape due to a bad lower back injury, and had been out of the gym for a while.  So in January, about a year after my injury, I felt confident enough to get a gym membership and started excercising again.  I was lifting some light weights and running for cardio, but I was getting bored quickly due to the same routine (short attention span, i guess).  To break things up, I tried a spin class.  It was amazing and was very challenging.  Then I decided to try swimming some laps in the pool every now and then to break things up a bit.  Before I even realized it, I was beginning to put all the pieces together, and then it hit me one night while I was talking to my brother about his upcoming season.  I CAN DO THIS TOO!

He referred me to BT and Trifind.com, and I signed up for my first race that night.  I'll be competing in a local sprint on May 17th.  I've lost tons of weight, am feeding my competitive appetite, found new energy and motivation, met lots of great people, and I AM TOTALLY HOOOKED!

2009-03-05 10:00 AM

Regular
Hamilton
I feel like I need to address a point that was made to me recently..in public. Most of my posts recently have been questions about newbies and while I do have a, somewhat, business realted reason for doing so..I am not now..nor do I ever intend to compete with the like of this forum. Having been in the sport of triathlon since 1985 I have seen a lot of things (and people) come and go and at this point in my life I have but a few things left for me to do. An Ironman (which..really my body won't allow me to do..even if I had the attention span to permit me) or help others. I've always contended that having information means nothing if you A) don't have someone to share it with and B)keep it to yourself. All of this said I would like to pay some bills in the process (but that is not my primary goal). Me posing questions on a public forum was the best way I knew how to try and find out answers to the questions I had. But in the process it could be thought of in a negative way..that I am using the priviledge (and rest assured..this forum and this website is just that) to further my own gains. And for this..I sincerely appologize. Not only to the owners of BT and its moderators (who have done an amazing job of this site) but to fellow BTers as well. If any of you feel the need to comment on this (and flame me if you feel the need) you can use this thread or even send me a PM to tell me so. Again..for abusing this fine resource..I am truly sorry. And hence forth I will try and keep anything I write to a reply only in an effort to keep the BT tradition of helping others.
regards
Kent Parkinson
905 545-4851 (home phone)
2009-03-05 10:19 AM

User image

Regular

I ran a 1/2 Marathon in Alaska with Team in Training a few years ago.  It was my first (and only) long distance race. Ever since then I have wanted to do a triathlon, but could never seem to get fully motivated to train.  The last year I have been working out 5 days/week and am in the best shape of my life.  I saw a poster at my gym about a month ago advertising the local Tri Club and I thought it was a sign... that it was time to do this!  So I joined the club, got my (mountain) bike tuned up and joined the local masters group.  I am so pumped about doing this!  This is the first REAL swimming I have ever done and I love it... it's something I could see sticking with forever! 

I found out about races just by Googling.  I use active.com to find the 5K races that I do, so I just went there and started looking around.  There are more races in my area than I expected.  My first tri will be a sprint in April.  Can't wait!

Oh and I found this website by Googling beginning triathlon workout.  So glad I found this place! Wink

2009-03-05 10:22 AM

User image

Regular
What the heck is that about?  I feel used!!  LOL 
2009-03-05 10:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY area

I used http://www.active.com and the race lists on BT initially (I too found trifind.com later).

I need the goal/commitment of an event/race to help me be consistent in exercising to lose weight and be healthier. Based on my belief in cross training I thought doing tri's would be more beneficial in the long term over just being a one sport person. Between this site and all the fun I had at my 1st event, I was hooked :]

edit:
Great, I wrote my answer before the revealing info posted just above. If our answers and normal willingness to participate in BT forums is used as potential substance in future BT competition, then we all need to get paid for any info we've provided then ..

Edited by MtnJay 2009-03-05 10:38 AM
2009-03-05 10:29 AM

User image

Chandler, AZ

My first tri (a sprint) will be in May 09 and what motivated me to try a triathlon was I got into running after the gym scene got boring and ran a 2:01:09 1/2-marathon (not too bad for a 200-lb guy).  However, while training for the same event's marathon the following year I ran into some ITBS issues and my knee never felt right again especially after 6 miles.  So, while back at the gym, I started to take some spinning classes and my wife suggested to give a triathlon a try...

So, this past December I started to slowly get things in order (gear, training, etc) for the May 09 tri.  Mind you the most swimming I've ever done was to swim from one side of my pool to the other to grab my beer, so swimming has been fun Tongue out...actually what motivates still is when I went into my local Sports Chalet to look for a pair of jammers and the employee looked at me up and down and said,"Well, we have some over there....but they're for competitive swimmers"  F*C* YOU, I thought...anyway, I digress.

Fast forward, it's 3/6/09, I'm down about 9 pounds from December and enjoy my various training activities and am eagerly looking forward to the tri in May...

To answer your last question, I usually search on Active.com or in a local (Phoenix, AZ) magazine called Sweat to find local events.

2009-03-05 10:38 AM
in reply to: #1999098

Regular
Hamilton
Amanda M - 2009-03-05 10:22 AM

What the heck is that about?  I feel used!!  LOL 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's what I was afraid of Amanda..let me know if you have any questions I can help you with as pennance.
2009-03-05 10:51 AM

User image

a herniated disc in my back from too much running got me into cross training on the bike.  i got wind about a local duathlon so i raced in it and really enjoyed it.  while there i heard talks about upcomming tris, so i started asking questions and found out about trifind.com  i found racing in tris much more challenging to me, and the training is less stressful on my back

2009-03-05 11:01 AM
in reply to: #1999200

Regular
Hamilton
Doh! Disc herniations suck. How have you found it's been since doing tris?
2009-03-05 11:08 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Popped my knee fixing a sewer line, after surgery Dr said swimming and biking would be good for it (along with less running).  Several online runner friends were training for Tri's so I decided to give it a try.  I have done one Dua and am hooked, first Tri at the end of this month.
2009-03-05 11:17 AM
in reply to: #1999240

Regular
Hamilton
Maybe I need to look at advertizing in rehab clinics..lol. Kick but in your first tri.
2009-03-05 11:26 AM
in reply to: #1999225

User image

kentiger - 2009-03-05 12:01 PM Doh! Disc herniations suck. How have you found it's been since doing tris?

it was doing much better, and my runs were longer and times faster; never back to normal, but it felt much stronger...that was until i was rear ended in my car a few months ago, now its pain 24/7 and i'm stuck to aquajogging and only on the bike for short periods of time

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What got the newest newbies into Tris Rss Feed  

of 3