General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What got the newest newbies into Tris Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-03-05 12:14 PM
in reply to: #1999290

User image

Regular
Hollywood, FL
Subject: RE: What got the newest newbies into Tris
darbaugh - 2009-03-05 11:26 AM

kentiger - 2009-03-05 12:01 PM Doh! Disc herniations suck. How have you found it's been since doing tris?

it was doing much better, and my runs were longer and times faster; never back to normal, but it felt much stronger...that was until i was rear ended in my car a few months ago, now its pain 24/7 and i'm stuck to aquajogging and only on the bike for short periods of time

I feel your pain darbaugh, literally.  I herniated two discs in my back a little over a year ago lifting weights, and after physical therapy and a lot of inactivity it's better now, but it never truly goes away.  Mixing in the swimming and cycling really helps cut down on the impact from running, which is super hard on that type of injury. 

It's a testament to your dedication that you push through the pain and continue to train.  I know how tough it can be.  Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery.

2009-03-05 12:26 PM
in reply to: #1998793

User image

On your right

I just started getting back into the gym at the beginning of the year.  I had played football in college, (although not as a fast guy, but as a fat one.  But I was good at fat) and had always missed being an athlete of some sort. 

So that being said, I also wanted somethign to train for.  I figured I should pick the most difficult thing I could think of, and that brought me here.

2009-03-05 1:05 PM

User image

I was a decathlete in college, and one of my trainers told me freshamn year about how her father just completed this race in Hawaii called an Ironman. She said that it is one of, if not the, hardest thing to complete. I took this as a challenge and decided that once my decathlon career was over I would focus on completing an Ironman (I am working there, and will hopefully do a half this year). The summer after I graduated I was at my parents shore house, picked up the local paper and saw an add for the first annual Endless Summer Sprint Triathlon. Figured no better way, or time, to get started so I took my father's 1970s Stainless Steel Schwinn, and showed up ready to race. I was very happy with my time, and I was 5th in my AG. After that I figured I would look up how people train and google-d triathlon beginner training, and the first 2 results were this site and tri-find, both of which are now favorites in my Internet Explorer...
2009-03-05 1:09 PM
in reply to: #1999098

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!

Amanda M - 2009-03-05 10:22 AM What the heck is that about?  I feel used!!  LOL 

x2...what did I miss?

Seems reasonable to allow the OP...good question and it is interesting to see what draws fellow Triathletes into the GREATEST sport on this planet!

2009-03-05 1:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi

Use this info however you please

I got off the couch a few years ago at the age of 43ish, and decided to start running with a goal of running a Marathon. It took me a full year to train for it and I ran my first Marathon in May, 2008 and got 2 tibial stress fractures from it... so, I decided to x-train more, run less... but still have fun... and since I fell in love with road races, thought I should try a tri - my first Tri will be in April... almost 1 year after my stress fractures.

I got the info about BT from a runner who I met online who also had a stress fracture... So far, I got info on races by doing internet searches... I'll check-out trifind.com.

2009-03-05 2:24 PM

San Diego, CA
My company sponsored relay teams for the LA tri last fall.  I've always been interested with triathlons from afar, but never gotten close to doing one.  But, I found myself at a business meeting with a cyclist and running, and let it slip that I swam in HS.  A couple days of peer pressure later, I was signed up.  The rest is history.  Found the LA tri site (and then BT) a short while later for race listing and signed up for another one....

2009-03-05 2:30 PM

User image

Miami,FL
Well i always played sports since i was kid and all through high school, but never anything to do with endurance. This may sound silly but i actually started to think about it after i saw an episode of MADE on MTV. Some kid wanted to be a triathlete and he did, so i was like why not me???? and the rest is history.
2009-03-05 3:37 PM
in reply to: #1998851

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

kentiger - 2009-03-05 8:57 AM thanks trishie...I'm really interested in how people who know nothing about the sport find out where to get started (other than here on BT of course)

trifind.com and active.com for the most part

2009-03-05 3:41 PM

New user
I've yet to race or spend any money on anything tri but  i have big hopes for the summer.  Running has always been my forte, and I recently starting biking much longer distances amd have a blast doing it.  I figured, I've always been a decent swimmer, so let's go for it.  Now to get a bike, shoes, pedals, wetsuit, etc...And more importantly to get mom to say OK to spending all that money b/c I am definitely going for a mid level road bike or entry level tri.  Got my eye on the Tarmac Elite or Cervelo S1 for road and the cervelo P1, transition multisport(05), S32, and equinox E7 (08)
2009-03-05 3:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Eastern WA

ive always ran biked and swam (not so much in college tho)...so when i moved to my current location after school (right coast to left coast) i looked up a running club to meet some like minded people...

turns out that running club was more of a multisport club, they really pushed the fact that i needed to race in more than just the 5 and 10ks, so i did the local olympic last sept...now im signed up for 9 races (1 HIM) in the up coming season and CAN NOT WAIT

Edited by JMINPNW 2009-03-05 3:51 PM
2009-03-05 4:13 PM

You guys are gonna think this is crazy, but here goes. About a year ago I was reading about a tri coming to Walt Disney World. It was called the Danskin Triathlon or something like that? (I am a male). I noticed the distances  looked to be pretty good. I told my wife about it, she said "You know, you could do that". So, the journey began! A few weeks later I was talking to an experienced Triathlete and told him about the Danskin tri........there was a long silent moment........he then said: "dude, you know that is for girls right?" I shrugged it off and already had my mind made up that i was going to continue with the training anyway! So here I am, addicted to all of this and see no signs of slowing! LOL

2009-03-05 4:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
I walked into our pool area of our YMCA last October. I was trying to learn to swim with my face in the water, to be able to show 4 year old how to swim.  I was told by a lifeguard that there was a triathlon in March (which my first will be an indoor tri in two days) !!! I kinda laughed it off, then just started to take it seriously. I've had such fun (and frustration) working toward this goal !
2009-03-05 5:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
I'd been doing some running and biking locally in Austin and saw the Austin Triathlon on the news one night and thought, Hey I could do that. I've always had a gut feel that swimming was "good for you" and thought I was a decent swimmer, i.e. comfortable in a lake and don't drown, generally. Then I hit Barton Springs for my first real dedicated lap swim and learned that I am indeed NOT a swimmer. But it felt great and I like what it did for my upper body so I stuck with it and signed up for the CapTexSprint Tri the following spring. I found this site a few weeks before the event while googling for info one night due to nerves, and foudn great comfort and wisdom from the posters here. Thanks BT.
2009-03-05 6:03 PM

User image

Expert
About 4 years ago a friend and I were talking about loosing weight and talking crap to each other. Another guy that was walking by cought our conversation and invited us to do a sprint tri....and the rest is history, I've been hookes ever since.

2009-03-05 7:08 PM

New user

Divorce, thats what got me into it, need something good to keep my mind sane. And this thread is my first, so this question got me into posting Anyhow, Im a full time firefighter and part time EMT. So i have always enjoyed challenges and tried to stay fit. My former mother-in-law does Tri's and I started talking to her about it a couple months ago and remembering back to watching Kona '08 I though, "Wow, that looks exciting and fun." So I made it my goal to do HIMKS this year and multiple other races. So far I have loved every minute of it. And I should be getting my QR Caliente delivered Tuesday, so my too small hand-me-down Giant OCR3 will get put to the side and rides will be even more fun. As far as knowing what to do, I am 100% self coached so far, another goal. I have plenty of down time at work in the evening if not running calls. So, I have searched every inch of the internet and BT of course. Also, My mother-in-law has halped a ton and TriTalk Podcasts, and "The Triathletes Training Bible". Other then that I day dream about it and every question I think of, I look up and get answered or find multiple responses for and decide what would be best for "Me".
2009-03-05 7:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
I Had been riding a lot about 250-350 miles a week in the summer. Did a couple races and stuff but never had the fire for being a pure cyclist. I love to swim and take like a fish to water and playing lacrosse and doing xc in high school it was only a matter of time before i found a new way to spend money. Last year was my first year i used BT and trifind plus club sites in places i wanted to race like Sacramento because they will list races they are a part of or that are in their area.

2009-03-05 8:01 PM

Veteran
I've always been very athletic--played football in college and rec softball and basketball until I ruptured my achilles a few years ago.  I started running as rehab and after getting bored with 5ks and short run races, I was talked into doing a tri with a few co-workers.  I haven't competed in one yet but am really enjoying the challenge of training.  Its been a great new way to challenge myself. 
2009-03-05 8:17 PM

I am a "morbidly" obese 29 year old man. I fell at the end of November down some steps and broke a bone in my neck and I have 3 herniated discs. The month of December was a pain but I decided that I was no longer going to allow me being so big run my life. A lot of things happen when you realize how blessed you are (things could have been really bad for me)

So, I set a goal to lose 120 pounds in 12 months. (10 a month is the goal) I was meeting with my Coach for the Y and she asked me what fitness goal did I have. I said that I would like to do a 5K. She asked me if I would be interested in doing a Sprint Triathlon. I laughed. But I agreed.

Now I am absolutely obsessed with it. I am building up my base fitness now - being so big makes it hard to do anything without being out of breath. But the day will come when I will line up on the starting line and realize my goals (Sept. 20)

So quite simply - the Triathlon is helping me reach my goals as well as giving me something to be apart of. 

2009-03-05 8:33 PM
in reply to: #1998809

User image

New Haven, CT
Rudedog55 - 2009-03-05 9:45 AM

I started biking to do a charity ride, felt great after training and accomplishing my goal for the ride, felt i needed to find an outlet to continue improving my physical conditioning after battling some health issues related to weight and blood pressure. Googled and Found this site and all the great peeps, asked for recommendations for race sites, got lots and and signed up for my first race, did a second and like every other "A" Type personality here, i got hooked.

Stop lying Rudy - you got into to check out the laddies and free beer  

Edited by jsklarz 2009-03-05 8:36 PM
2009-03-05 9:05 PM

Regular
Hamilton
120in12..man..that rocks. I really hope you make the goal and I hope that you get addicted to tris and share this story with others. Awesome!
2009-03-06 3:17 AM

User image

Vermont
Always looked for new challenges and an aquatic center was built one mile from my house. Thought that would be a great place to train. My chiropractor said one of his goals were to do a tri and I thought that sound like a challenge. I also thought I like to do and not just talk, so I started training for my first sprint in June.

2009-03-06 10:45 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
I was running maybe 15-18 miles/week when an AG/Clyde podium-placer buddy of mine asked me if I wanted to try a sprint.  On a Friday, and the race was Sunday.  48 hours and one WD-40'd 22 year-old Mountain Bike later I was a triathlete.
2009-03-06 1:13 PM

New user

My 8 year old son told one of his classmates that his mom run marathons.  The other kid said "Well my mom does triathlons."  Well that won't happen again.  Next time he can say "My mom runs marathons and does triathlons"Smile
2009-03-06 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2002278

Regular
Hamilton
Nothing like on upping the other moms...go alicat7
2009-03-06 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

I was a cyclist until life got in the way, and I gained some weight.  Changing my diet only did so much so I started running and the rest of my weight came off.  I started riding again to x-train on non running days.  Then I met someone at a football party and he planted the seed to add swimming to my routine.  Done.  Now I'm pretty set in my ways of getting two workouts in on most days.  I'm also training for my first 1/2 marathon in September.  My first Tri is the NJ Devilman sprint in May.

I use www.active.com to find races.

Scout

Edited by scout21 2009-03-06 1:51 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What got the newest newbies into Tris Rss Feed  

of 3