General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why Infinit over other products and who didn't use Infinit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-03-24 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Subject: Why Infinit over other products and who didn't use Infinit?
I've been using Accelerade and Powerbar Gels during long rides and runs and Endurox for after workout recovery. Why do you think Infinit is better on the bike?

If you read the "Infinit alone" thread, it seems like everyone is using Infinit during the cycling portion of their IM. Who doesn't use it?

2009-03-24 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2036654

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Why Infinit over other products and who didn't use Infinit?

I haven't used it yet (though I have some samples & a gift certificate so I'll be giving it a try this year).

Typically I train and race with Gatorade Endurance (since it's on the course most of the time) and carry my own gels in some flasks.  I don't use any pre-packaged recovery drinks.

2009-03-24 10:54 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

For me, it just really works with my body.  I used accelerade for a while.  I sort of had to just tolerate the taste (gets a little nasty when warm), AND the bigger issue, once in a while, the protein would give me some GI issues.

Not so with infinit.  Plus it tastes fine even when sitting in a bottle or camelback for a couple hours (to me).

I will also use Gatorade Endurance on the bike with no issues....

2009-03-24 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2036729

User image

Sensei
Sin City
JohnnyKay - 2009-03-24 8:53 AM

I haven't used it yet (though I have some samples & a gift certificate so I'll be giving it a try this year).

Typically I train and race with Gatorade Endurance (since it's on the course most of the time) and carry my own gels in some flasks.  I don't use any pre-packaged recovery drinks.

BTW,

I talked to a senior guy at Gatorade the other day (father of a BTer, actually).  Anyway, he said that Gatorade Tiger has MORE electrolites than GE.  And more flavors.  You could actually be better off using that.  However, it's not what they hand out at races...

2009-03-24 11:07 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

I like Infinit but still need solids especially while out on the bike.  For races I live off the course.  I just find the KISS method to be the best.  I haven't and probably won't be using it for any races unless that's what is given out at aid stations.

I find Infinit to be nasty once it's warmed up, not sure how I could keep nice and cold during an IM after a few hours in my camelbak I can't stand it, but that goes for all my drinks.

2009-03-24 12:24 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Infinit just tastes WAY better than most other products to me.

I used Hammer for a long time and while I LIKE their products I had to FORCE myself to drink them because they just didn't taste good.

In something like an IM you want to be able to get your nutrition in without forcing it.

For me, I like the taste of Infinit so much that it's easy to drink.  So, it works.

I DO supplement with shot bloks because I would get bored of JUST Infinit.

If you like Accelerade and Powerbar Gels, more power to you.  Nutrition is very individual.

2009-03-24 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2036740

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Aikidoman - 2009-03-24 11:56 AM

BTW,

I talked to a senior guy at Gatorade the other day (father of a BTer, actually).  Anyway, he said that Gatorade Tiger has MORE electrolites than GE.  And more flavors.  You could actually be better off using that.  However, it's not what they hand out at races...

It has less sodium & potassium than GE.  Also has 1/2 the calories.  Mostly due to the latter, it wouldn't be my choice.

2009-03-24 1:02 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I'm going to make my own for bike and run and it is about 1/10th the price of buying bars, gels or infinit or maybe less.

You need water, carbs and sodium...add in some flavoring and good to go.

My coach has a formula based on weight but easy to make and similar concept to Infinit...flavoring to your own taste, calories, sodium all adjustable to what works for me.

There were two folks that got sick on the bike at IMFL and were using Infinit..not saying it was that but coincidence.

Edited by KathyG 2009-03-24 1:02 PM
2009-03-24 1:44 PM

User image

over a barrier
Best product on the market, imo.

Going on three years, not a single issue with GI or low energy bonk.
2009-03-24 2:26 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
stchase34 - 2009-03-24 10:24 AM I've been using Accelerade and Powerbar Gels during long rides and runs and Endurox for after workout recovery. Why do you think Infinit is better on the bike? If you read the "Infinit alone" thread, it seems like everyone is using Infinit during the cycling portion of their IM. Who doesn't use it?
same as JK I either use GE or due to a digestive disorder I also use Heed for training cuz my stomach handles it better but I can go either way. I also carry a gel flask and that's my nutrition. No recovery drink for me, instead I eat actual food and some fruit juice.
2009-03-24 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2036740

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Aikidoman - 2009-03-24 10:56 AM

BTW,

Thanks, 'Kido, 'bout G Tiger.

2009-03-24 2:57 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I use Gu2O in my mixed bottles.  Once those are empty, it is whatever the course supplies!  (Usually in longer races I'll alternate Gatorade Endurance and water since those are typical on course)
2009-03-24 3:01 PM

User image

To answer the first question, because it gives me all the calories and sodium I need in one or two bottles.  One bottle for HIM, two for IM.  Couldn't be simpler.

I may or may not add something just to get a different flavor or something solid, but my bike mix has a little protein in it which keeps me from getting hungry

2009-03-24 4:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Ok, so it sounds like it's a taste/GI thing and not a superior nutrition thing. I will stick with what I've been using all along. Accelerade has a mixture of protein too and I like the taste. Then again, I could eat rode kill without GI problems if I had to. I will stick with what's supplied at IMLP which I think is Powerbar. That's the only Gel I've ever used on a long workout up to now so why change.

If I do start having GI issues as my workouts get longer, I will try Infinit. (unless there's some good road kill available).

Thanks
2009-03-24 5:10 PM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
I actually really like Hammer products, but the Perpetuem doesn't have enough calories for me.  With Infinit, I can customize the drink to exactly what I need.  It's great to be able to make minor adjustments as you train to dial in that formula so it's perfect for your body. 
2009-03-26 2:08 AM
in reply to: #2037605

User image

The Natti
stchase34 - 2009-03-24 4:02 PM

Ok, so it sounds like it's a taste/GI thing and not a superior nutrition thing. I will stick with what I've been using all along. Accelerade has a mixture of protein too and I like the taste. Then again, I could eat rode kill without GI problems if I had to. I will stick with what's supplied at IMLP which I think is Powerbar. That's the only Gel I've ever used on a long workout up to now so why change.

If I do start having GI issues as my workouts get longer, I will try Infinit. (unless there's some good road kill available).

Thanks

Actually there is a big diff between drinks. And yes, it will make a difference how many calories your body absorbs. If you have more types of carbs, you are more efficient absorbing them. Singular source drinks (Hammer) limit you to around 240 CHO. Multi carb drinks (Power Bar, INFINIT, Enervit) increase absorbtion rates by 25-30%. On a long day that will make a big difference. If you are a bigger guy, it is huge number. There have been multiple studies done on this.

Same goes for gels.

2009-03-26 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

I went 2.5 years without using it.  I trained off clif bars, cytomax, gels, e-caps and shot bloks.  I just found it to be a pain in the arse to calculate roughly 300 calories per hour from those.  I felt like I was packing for a long vacation when I had a 5 hour ride.  And then I had to remember to eat every 20 minutes. I did my first IM on this plan.  It worked but it was much more complicated than it needed to be. 

For ME, I wanted to simplify things for my next IM.  I want to switch to a more liquid diet on the bike despite my stomach being able to process solid food.  It took a couple of months to nail my nutrition with Infinit because I wasn't a believer.  I also took a few opportunities to talk to Michael and his staff at Infinit about what I personally needed (more sodium).  

Now, nutrition is a no brainer.  For a five hour ride, I make 5 bottles.  It makes my life a whole lot simplier.  And I can just fill up my aero bottle and drink when needed.  It works for ME so I stick with it. 

2009-03-26 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2041226

User image

Veteran
Maine
Now, nutrition is a no brainer. For a five hour ride, I make 5 bottles. It makes my life a whole lot simplier. And I can just fill up my aero bottle and drink when needed. It works for ME so I stick with it.

Can you define "Five Bottles"? Are you actually filling five 16-24ounce bottles or are you putting 5 servings of powder in a bottle and then mixing it later?
2009-03-26 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2041437

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

stchase34 - 2009-03-26 11:22 AM Now, nutrition is a no brainer. For a five hour ride, I make 5 bottles. It makes my life a whole lot simplier. And I can just fill up my aero bottle and drink when needed. It works for ME so I stick with it.

Can you define "Five Bottles"? Are you actually filling five 16-24ounce bottles or are you putting 5 servings of powder in a bottle and then mixing it later?

Depends on my ride.  But in general, 2 scoops of powder in 20 oz bottle and fill it with water prior to my ride.  For me that is 290 calories per bottle. 

I can carry 4 bottles on the bike.  For rides longer than 4 hours (or 4 bottles) my options are to make a double concentrated bottle or put the powder in a baggie and in my jersey.  I personally chose to put the powder in a baggie and make sure my route has a water stop along the way so that I can dilute the mix.  Either way I will have to stop for water.  I find that the power dilutes quickly enough and I stay ahead of the game so as to not dilute the powder and need to drink from it immediately. 

Some people will make a double or triple concentrated bottle, take a swig and chase it with water.  For ME, that doesn't work.  If I use the bottle an hour approach I can track my nutritional intake and needs very precisely.  

Again, it is a personal choice.  I was very apprehensive about the switch and it took some time to nail it down (no more than a normal nutrition plan).  I suggest ordering a bag and seeing how it works for you.  You might not like it and thats fine.  Or you might find that it simplifies things for you.  Everyone has a different reaction. 

2009-03-26 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2041437

User image

The Natti
stchase34 - 2009-03-26 10:22 AM

To save you some time, here are some tips that I give to customers that ask:

Basic Tips how to:

There are two ways to start.

1) Select from one of our pre set formulations. Those are formulated for particular distances and conditions. They are tested to taste great and work. It's an easy way to try out the product.

2) Create your own. The easiest and best way to start is to take the introductory interview on the home page. You can find the link right above the sliders. That will get you very very close to the perfect blend taking into account your sweat rates, body size, type of racing and history of cramping.

Couple of general tips to help you start out creating your own formula.

Our flavor is low to start, even the highest is not as strong as Gatorade. If you want lower flavor, I recomend level 5-6 to start. If you want NO flavor go lower but be aware that the salt will come thru more.

You do not have to crank up the salt, level 3-4 is normally a good place to start. I would not move it too much unless you are positive or have severe cramping issues. It does affect flavor if you are not used to it. The level 4 is about the same as taking 10 salt pills per hour, it usually is enough.

Ladies are more taste sensitive to salt then the guys. So generally lower levels are much more drinkable (level 2-3).

FYI, the one time I get oomplaints is when new customers crank up the salt and dial the flavor way back.

For protein, if you are going longer than 4 hours protein will eliminate hunger...a very good thing. Level 4 is a great place to start for the Ultra types, 2-3 for the shorter distance racers. Zero for sprints.

Normally our clients have two different formulas. This system will take care of 99% of your racing and training.

1) An endurance mix that is higher calorie with a little protein in it. Use this formula for long training and races > than 3-4 hours. The protein will keep you from getting hungry and allow you to avoid food, salt pills, and gels. This formula is your "go to" mix that you will use for most of your long training and racing. It should be the only thing you need for the long stuff.

2) A run or sprint mix. Just reduce calories by 10-15% from your endurance blend, change the carbohydrate blend down to the short distance side to increase the glucose, keep electrolyte the same and REMOVE the protein. The effort here is to have a formula for high stress high heart rate conditions with NO GUT ISSUES. You can use this for any sprint type racing, running races and also the run of any long distance triathlon. This is the formula that you can add caffeine to if you wish.

To concentrate:

On the bike, you can make a concentrated feed bottle that will save you weight for racing. This assumes that you have access to water to dilute a concentration. If you do not dilute, the osmolality will be too high and can lead to stomach distress. Most people feel like 3 servings is about the most you want to put in one bottle, that normally is about 800-900 calories.

For race day, if you wish order your endurance formula and dial the flavor way back to the left. That was when you concentrate it will not be a strong flavor but still have all your calories and electrolyte.

IF you have a special formula for running, we suggest using a fuel belt. Just take the bottle and fill it up right to the very top. Then add a little water to make a heavy concentrate. When you get to an aid station just squirt a little into a cup of cold water. You can get 1600-2000 calories in 4 bottles. That is a super easy way to carry a ton of calories with very not a lot of weight.

For training, I don't mess with concentrating. I mix up bottles, carry some powder and then mix when everyone stops to fill their bottles.

That system has been very sucessful for almost all of our clients. Hope it helps!

Edited by infinIT 1 2009-03-26 10:54 AM
2009-03-26 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills, IL
Great thread. I was planning on using Hammer products this summer for everything and try to get it dialed in. I wish it was on the course though that would make things much easier.

2009-03-26 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2041466

User image

Some people will make a double or triple concentrated bottle, take a swig and chase it with water.  For ME, that doesn't work.  If I use the bottle an hour approach I can track my nutritional intake and needs very precisely.  

Again, it is a personal choice. 

Just for people reading this, it is possible to monitor calorie intake with a concentrated bottle as well.  If I have a two hour bottle, I just use 1/2 per hour.  Three hour bottle, 1/3 per hour.  Can even mark the bottle if you need some reference.  Neither way (1 hour vs. 2 hour) is right or wrong, just whatever you prefer.

And to Michael's point about not training with a concentrate but racing with it, make sure you actually do train with a concentrate at some point if you plan to race with a concentrate.  Not everyone's gut can handle the concentrate, it's a lot of calories at once.  For me, I had to figure out the system that worked - i.e., how much I can concentrate, how much to sip, when to sip, how much water to follow it with.  I train and race with concentrate.

My first three hour bottle didn't go over so well.   If that would have been in a race it would not have been pretty

Edited by ChrisM 2009-03-26 11:22 AM
2009-03-26 11:35 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
I'm thinking warm Infinit in a concentrated form would make me vomit, but maybe I'll try the concentrated bottle suggestion and have cold water in the camelbak to wash it down and see if I can tolerate once it warms up around here.
2009-03-26 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI

No vomiting, Rottie...

For racing, I did a single 3 hour concentrated bottle, got fresh, cold water from the aid stations to fill my aero bottle ~2/3, then topped off with the concentrated mix.  Perfect for a HIM, then for the IM, I had a second 3 hour bottle at special needs.  And while it sounds like a bit of acrobatics, it's actually pretty easy and I could mostly do it in the aero position and be done in about 15 seconds.

For the IM run, I had concentrated run mix in a fuel belt, and would dump a bit into the cups of water at each aid station.  Again, nice cold drink the whole time. 

I don't mind the taste when it's a little warm, but it was nice for race day to have cold beverages the entire time. 

2009-03-26 2:21 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I never knew that people actually tried to keep their drinks cold until recently.  Odd if you ask me.

But that aside.  I actually like the taste of warm Infinit.  Hour 3+ of a bike ride Infinit tastes better and I want it more than at hour 1.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why Infinit over other products and who didn't use Infinit? Rss Feed  

of 2