General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First time tri nerves and questions killing me. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-03-25 11:55 AM

Subject: First time tri nerves and questions killing me.

My first race is this Saturday at 3:30pm Showdown at Sundown Las Vegas.  I'm totally ready physically and completing the race is of no real concern.  I have several questions I need answered however. 

I'll be honest right off that I have a strong desire to place in the top ten.  Maybe this is crazy for a first timer but I believe strongly that I can.  My training has been fantastic over the past three months and my times are respectable I think.  My biggest concern is the swim.  For the simple reason that I haven't swam in open water in a crowd in high fifty to low sixty degree water.  My fastest swim time in a pool with wetsuit on for the race distance of 525 meters was 9 minutes 10 seconds.  I know that the water temp and no walls or bottom of a pool plus a crowd will make a difference.  I also believe those things that may negatively affect my performance will be compensated by my sheer drive and excitement on race day.  

First questions on the swim.  Will my time be better or worse since I don't have walls to push off?  Is one typically faster not wasting time turning around like in a pool.  Or will that short break at each wall I'm use to cause me difficulty in OWS?  I have a shorty wetsuit short sleeve short legs 2mm.  I plan to wear my bike shorts and my short sleeve under armour shirt under my wetsuit.  This way I can strip off the suit and jump right on my bike.  Does anyone see an issue with this idea?  Should I try and work to the front of the starting pack or just hang back?

Transition questions.  In T1 I plan to run up to my bike with my wetsuit half off.  First will be stepping on my towel to begin drying my feet.  Then pull off wetsuit.  I'll be completely dressed in my bike run outfit.  I'll slip on my socks (yes I need them) and shoes then my sunglasses and helmet and I'm outta there.  Am I forgetting anything?  T2 seems like a no brainer rack the bike remove the helmet and sunglasses and start running.  Am I forgetting anything? 

My fastest times are as follows.  I can swim the course distance 525m or .32 miles in a pool in 9 min 10 seconds.  My fastest bike ride on a rented road bike on the actual race course is 36 minutes flat, and my fastest run on the course is 22 minutes 25 seconds.  I'm certain that my bike time and run time will be my fastest ever on race day.  I know with great competition I'll find a bit more speed and desire.  My plan for the run is to make it to the turn around without over exerting myself and from that point running as fast as possible to the finish. 

I'm hoping that my total time with tranisitons will be 69 minutes total or less.  Anything faster and I'll be way stoked. 

Suggestions? Advice?

2009-03-25 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2039289

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
Subject: RE: First time tri nerves and questions killing me.
I'm certainly no expert, but I will try to take a first crack at this:

- It's hard to say if your time will be better or worse. I wouldn't assume that the swim course is exactly the distance they say it is. Also, you will have to sight and could wander off course slightly. My advice is to start very slow to the back on the outside (away from the buoys). Start very slow and relaxed and get your breathing under control, rotate to get really good breaths. First 100 yards is crucial. You will be swimming "blind" and will likely on see things right in front of you and when you rotate your head to breathe. It can be disorienting. 55-60 degree water is no joke. I would get in the water early and warm up well before the start.

- T1 sounds like a good plan. Have your wetsuit half off by the time you get to your bike. Make sure your helmet is buckled before you leave transition

- Don't try to hammer into T2 on the bike, start spinning more a mile or so before you get there.
2009-03-25 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax

johnnyutah5 - 2009-03-25 11:55 AM

I'll be honest right off that I have a strong desire to place in the top ten.  Maybe this is crazy for a first timer but I believe strongly that I can.  My training has been fantastic over the past three months and my times are respectable I think.  My biggest concern is the swim.  For the simple reason that I haven't swam in open water in a crowd in high fifty to low sixty degree water.  My fastest swim time in a pool with wetsuit on for the race distance of 525 meters was 9 minutes 10 seconds.  I know that the water temp and no walls or bottom of a pool plus a crowd will make a difference.  I also believe those things that may negatively affect my performance will be compensated by my sheer drive and excitement on race day.  

One thing you'll notice is that on some people's first OWS, they panic, end up backstroking/sidestroking/breaststroking through 90% of it because they can't catch their breath.  Excitement, desire to "win" and the shock of cold water can make your first OWS experience an interesting one.  With the added factor of cold water, I'd set my expectations on just getting through the swim and not setting blazing PR's.  Take it easy, slow down, you've done this before, this will just be a new setting.  I've read reports where people go out too hard on the swim and completely fall apart on the bike and run because they've essentially burned themselves out (take it from experience).

First questions on the swim.  Will my time be better or worse since I don't have walls to push off?  Is one typically faster not wasting time turning around like in a pool.  Or will that short break at each wall I'm use to cause me difficulty in OWS?  I have a shorty wetsuit short sleeve short legs 2mm.  I plan to wear my bike shorts and my short sleeve under armour shirt under my wetsuit.  This way I can strip off the suit and jump right on my bike.  Does anyone see an issue with this idea?  Should I try and work to the front of the starting pack or just hang back?

It completely depends on the environment, there are lots of factors that you can't control on raceday, so you can't say you do X:XX / 100 in the pool translates to X:XX /100 in OW.  Generally with a wetsuit you'll be faster, but practice in the pool (don't forget to clean it well afterwards) so you're used to the shoulder stress.  When you say bike shorts, do you mean real bike shorts or tri shorts?  If you're talking real bike shorts, I'd recommend against that because when they get wet, the chamois area droops and you'll feel like you're wearing a diaper   Pick up some tri shorts if you don't have them already, the chamois area is much thinner and dries faster.

As far as your time, I'd start in the back just because it's your first time.  Like I said before, take it easy on the swim and power through the bike and run.

Transition questions.  In T1 I plan to run up to my bike with my wetsuit half off.  First will be stepping on my towel to begin drying my feet.  Then pull off wetsuit.  I'll be completely dressed in my bike run outfit.  I'll slip on my socks (yes I need them) and shoes then my sunglasses and helmet and I'm outta there.  Am I forgetting anything?  T2 seems like a no brainer rack the bike remove the helmet and sunglasses and start running.  Am I forgetting anything? 

Nope, sounds like you've got a good plan.  Practice it a couple days beforehand, I didn't on my first tri and was all over the place (let's just say I had a 5:18 T1).

2009-03-25 12:23 PM

Thanks for the reply! 

I'm sure the distance won't be exact because the details say the distance is 700 meters but the animated course outline shows .32 miles which is roughly 525 meters.

Why do you say to start so low in the back is it because of the difference between OWS in a crowd and a pool or because of the freezing water shocking the body?

What do you mean by spinning a mile out before T2?  In my training I've always just gone all out and hammered into my T2 dumped the bike and started running.  It's rough but I am used to it.

2009-03-25 12:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denton
Suggestion for the swim (it's not my strength, either, and this is what my coach tends to have as part of my racing strategy) - sprint the first hundred or so to make sure you're at a good place in the pack.  Then, get up behind someone going at a decent clip and just draft the rest of it.  This will get you through at a good pace, potentially keep the necessity of sighting at a minimum, and leave you with ample energy for the parts of the race you want to really kick butt in.  Also, if at all possible, try to get in an OWS at the race site a couple of days before (if nothing else it's going to increase your comfort level, which is going to decrease your HR day of!).
2009-03-25 12:25 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

I've recently done my first (two) tris.  Here are my reactions. 

johnnyutah5 - 2009-03-25 12:55 PM

I definitely don't want to rain on your parade -- go for it! -- but if your tri is anything like the one's I've done and the other ones whose results I've looked at, a swim time of 9+ minutes that you mention below for that distance is not going to put you in the top ten overall.  There are plenty of people who can swim that distance minutes faster, and who can bike and run as well.

You won't be FOP with that sort of swim time.  On the other point, I can only say that I myself swam much slower in the races than I have in the pool. I'm sure this is an experience issue, and one I plan to work on.

Put your running shoes on.  Smile

My fastest times are as follows.  I can swim the course distance 525m or .32 miles in a pool in 9 min 10 seconds.  My fastest bike ride on a rented road bike on the actual race course is 36 minutes flat, and my fastest run on the course is 22 minutes 25 seconds.  I'm certain that my bike time and run time will be my fastest ever on race day.  I know with great competition I'll find a bit more speed and desire.  My plan for the run is to make it to the turn around without over exerting myself and from that point running as fast as possible to the finish. 

I'm hoping that my total time with tranisitons will be 69 minutes total or less.  Anything faster and I'll be way stoked. 

I didn't see how long the bike is, but again, I have to be honest and say that 22+ minutes for a 5K is not going to get you top 10.  Don't worry about it -- just run fast and have fun!  It'll be a blast no matter what your pace.

Suggestions? Advice?

Have fun!  Don't worry about placing top 10.  Go all out the whole time.  My problem thus far has been to leave something in the tank.  Don't do that.

Edited by Experior 2009-03-25 12:26 PM

2009-03-25 12:26 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Relax. This is your first tri not your last. Its great to go over the various aspects of the race but things will happen that you will not anticipate. When you get your gameplan so intensely focused you may be setting yourself up for disappoint. It is very natural to have a million questions but most can only be answered through the experience.

In the swim, I don't think I'd charge for the front or you may come out of the water a bit gassed and the rest of the race could be an uphill battle. In T1, you may need to attach your race number? Do you have a number belt? Are you riding and running in the same shoes? How critical is it that you wear socks? Socks can be a bit tough to put on wet feet especially if you are a bit shakey.

On the times that you mention, are these PR's individually? Did you run your 22 min's after first exerting on a bike. Things can be quite different when you compound the previous efforts.
At any rate, good luck, try to enjoy the experience, and learn from it.

Edited by popsracer 2009-03-25 12:29 PM
2009-03-25 12:29 PM

User image

Elite
Miami

Is this a sprint race?  1/4 swim, 10 m bike, 3 m run?

without the distances its hard to answer your questions.  for most sprints i have been in (distance above) times for the top 10 range 47 - 55 min.  that includes elites of course.  AG are slower but still below 60 min. 

TRANSITION:  for a sprint you don't need socks.  if you want a fast T1.  wetsuit halfway off once you are running to bike.  take off when you get to bike, then helmet, sunglasses.  run with bike.  shoes ARE ON the bike, hop on the bike and put on shoes when you are riding, (watch some vids on youtube).

t2, take shoes off on the bike, run in with the bike, put on running shoes no socks.  grab belt with your number and put it on while running.

MY ADVICE:  take it easy on the swim.  its really pretty crazy and alot to take in on the 1st tri.  with 50-100 people running into the water at the same time.  rushing on the first swim in open water with 100 people next to you can lead for you to have a nice big fat DNF next to you name.  start out easy comfy pace once you are 150 yrds out and you see home and you have alot in the tank and room to manuver pick it up.

Edited by trix 2009-03-25 12:33 PM
2009-03-25 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2039342

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
johnnyutah5 - 2009-03-24 10:23 PM

Thanks for the reply! 

I'm sure the distance won't be exact because the details say the distance is 700 meters but the animated course outline shows .32 miles which is roughly 525 meters.

Why do you say to start so low in the back is it because of the difference between OWS in a crowd and a pool or because of the freezing water shocking the body?

What do you mean by spinning a mile out before T2?  In my training I've always just gone all out and hammered into my T2 dumped the bike and started running.  It's rough but I am used to it.

Yes, mainly because of the crowd factor, you don't want to get pushed around and have your rhythm disrupted when you're trying to get your first 10-20 breaths. If you can find some clean water at the start it will be to your advantage in my opinion. In my third race last year, I got a little arrogant at the start and ended up paying for it (big crowd, fast guys, 55 degree water, sun the eyes, etc.). Not pretty. Think of the swim like a warm up for the bike.

I'm just saying don't hammer it home like you're finishing at TDF TT or something. Take a little pressure off your legs and maybe even stretch your calves a little. I think it could help you run a little faster off the bike. Not sure how old you are but perhaps you can tolerate that better than some of us old guys.
2009-03-25 12:39 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
I agree with what others said about placing or ranking. Don't even worry about it. If it happens, it happens and consider it a gift.

Also, if you can recon the course before hand, it can only help you. If you can do a swim at the race site before race day it will give you some confidence. It will also help if you've biked and ran the course. If nothing else, drive the course in your car.

Conservative on the swim is the best piece of advice that I can give. Warm up, find a rhythm and if you are feeling great with 300 yards to go, pick up the pace a bit but don't go crazy. You want to come out of the water good to go, not sucking wind with the HR at redline.
2009-03-25 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2039356

trix - 2009-03-25 12:29 PM

Is this a sprint race?  1/4 swim, 10 m bike, 3 m run?

without the distances its hard to answer your questions.  for most sprints i have been in (distance above) times for the top 10 range 47 - 55 min.  that includes elites of course.  AG are slower but still below 60 min. 

TRANSITION:  for a sprint you don't need socks.  if you want a fast T1.  wetsuit halfway off once you are running to bike.  take off when you get to bike, then helmet, sunglasses.  run with bike.  shoes ARE ON the bike, hop on the bike and put on shoes when you are riding, (watch some vids on youtube).

t2, take shoes off on the bike, run in with the bike, put on running shoes no socks.  grab belt with your number and put it on while running.

MY ADVICE:  take it easy on the swim.  its really pretty crazy and alot to take in on the 1st tri.  with 50-100 people running into the water at the same time.  rushing on the first swim in open water with 100 people next to you can lead for you to have a nice big fat DNF next to you name.  start out easy comfy pace once you are 150 yrds out and you see home and you have alot in the tank and room to manuver pick it up.

Yes this is a sprint race the race website says 700m swim 11 mile bike 5k run.  Thanks for the top race times I've had a hell of a time finding total race times anywhere.  I guess I'm slower than I thought.  Were those times on relatively easy courses mainly flat or really intense hilly courses?  I have zero experience but to me this race course is crazy tough with all of its hills. 

This number belt thing do I not need my number belt until the run? 

2009-03-25 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2039376

jeffy_101 - 2009-03-25 12:39 PM I agree with what others said about placing or ranking. Don't even worry about it. If it happens, it happens and consider it a gift. Also, if you can recon the course before hand, it can only help you. If you can do a swim at the race site before race day it will give you some confidence. It will also help if you've biked and ran the course. If nothing else, drive the course in your car. Conservative on the swim is the best piece of advice that I can give. Warm up, find a rhythm and if you are feeling great with 300 yards to go, pick up the pace a bit but don't go crazy. You want to come out of the water good to go, not sucking wind with the HR at redline.

I've done three brick training sessions bike with run right after on the actual course for the exact distances.  I'm confident in my knowledge of the course as long as nothing changes before race day.  I've tried to train as best I can to meet the race day requirements that way there will be few surprises. 

I'll definetly take the advice on starting the swim slow and building up to the halfway point and then trying to poor on a little more speed coming back to the beach.

For your earlier question I'm 33 years old 6'3" and weigh in right at 200 pounds. 

2009-03-25 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
You might want to check, but normally you don't have to wear your number on your body until the run. Race belts are great idea, you can get one for about $10.
2009-03-25 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2039380

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
johnnyutah5 - 2009-03-25 1:40 PM

I guess I'm slower than I thought.

This number belt thing do I not need my number belt until the run? 

A.  You aren't slow.  It's more like some people are just really really fast....Smile

B.  The number belt is a band with a quick-clip (any running store will have them).  You attach your number to it.  In the races I've done, you don't have to wear it until the run, though I've heard of races where you have to wear it on the bike too.

ETA: The number belt is not required.  It makes life easier, but it isn't essential.

Edited by Experior 2009-03-25 12:56 PM
2009-03-25 12:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

My race partner finished 2nd among first timers in our race last year, despite having swam and biked only during our rehearsal a couple of weeks before, so if you're in good shape, I don't think your goal is unreasonable.

Chat up some of the people in the wave before yours. Find the veterans that are serious about it, and watch where they line up on the shore. Also, don't be afraid to wade in slowly and let the herd move ahead a little before you start if you are bothered by the thought of swimming in the crowd.

I got kicked in the face about 3/4 of the way through my swim, so hard I thought my goggles must be cracked, and I was still foggy by the time I got on my bike. Hopefully it won't happen to you, but it's likely you will at least get elbowed and jostled.

If you haven't done an open water swim, be prepared to be surprised. Even aside from the temp, it will be far different from the pool. Definitely practice swimming in the wetsuit. If you can find an OWS tonight or tomorrow, I'd try it out.

You'll be jacked up with excitement and adrenaline when you hit the water, and the cold water won't make that any easier. If you're anything like me, you'll hit the water at 110% and will have to focus to get yourself back to a sustainable pace that will leave some in the tank for the next two events.

My T1 was terrible. I was groggy from the kick in the face, and there was at least 1/4 mile to travel between the water and my bike, over sand and blacktop. I would try to get rack your bike as close to the swim as the organizers allow. You've obviously put a lot of thought into your transitions, and I think it should serve you well. While I had my stuff arranged reasonably well, I hadn't practiced the transitions at all. You can lay out your stuff in your living room and practice making a quick change of clothes. The time you spend in transition will make a huge impact on your overall time, particularly in a sprint. When you read race reports, you see time and again, "The guy who finished after me beat all of my splits, but took a minute longer in T1 and that was the difference."

Most important, have a great time! Best of luck, and make sure to write a race report.

2009-03-25 1:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denton
P.S. You placing depends ENTIRELY on the race and the other competitors - you might be a kick athlete, but if enough other kick athletes who have more experience in racing show up, then that could be it.  Or, you could be really mediocre, but if everyone else is even more mediocre you could kick anyways.  You need to be aware of this with every race you go into.  For example, I did Take a Hike Ike a few weeks back and placed 8th overall and 2nd in my AG - I then did St. Patty's Day two weeks later and placed 22nd overall and 9TH in my AG.  All because a girls team from Wisconsin showed up to sweep my AG (except for my friend Lauren, who kicked all their butts and made us look a little more respectable, thank god).  So just be aware that when placing is your goal, you don't necessarily get to base the potential for that on your individual effort - it is also based on the individual efforts of who else happens to be at that race.

2009-03-25 1:06 PM
in reply to: #2039432

mrheathen - 2009-03-25 12:54 PM

My race partner finished 2nd among first timers in our race last year, despite having swam and biked only during our rehearsal a couple of weeks before, so if you're in good shape, I don't think your goal is unreasonable.

Chat up some of the people in the wave before yours. Find the veterans that are serious about it, and watch where they line up on the shore. Also, don't be afraid to wade in slowly and let the herd move ahead a little before you start if you are bothered by the thought of swimming in the crowd.

I got kicked in the face about 3/4 of the way through my swim, so hard I thought my goggles must be cracked, and I was still foggy by the time I got on my bike. Hopefully it won't happen to you, but it's likely you will at least get elbowed and jostled.

If you haven't done an open water swim, be prepared to be surprised. Even aside from the temp, it will be far different from the pool. Definitely practice swimming in the wetsuit. If you can find an OWS tonight or tomorrow, I'd try it out.

You'll be jacked up with excitement and adrenaline when you hit the water, and the cold water won't make that any easier. If you're anything like me, you'll hit the water at 110% and will have to focus to get yourself back to a sustainable pace that will leave some in the tank for the next two events.

My T1 was terrible. I was groggy from the kick in the face, and there was at least 1/4 mile to travel between the water and my bike, over sand and blacktop. I would try to get rack your bike as close to the swim as the organizers allow. You've obviously put a lot of thought into your transitions, and I think it should serve you well. While I had my stuff arranged reasonably well, I hadn't practiced the transitions at all. You can lay out your stuff in your living room and practice making a quick change of clothes. The time you spend in transition will make a huge impact on your overall time, particularly in a sprint. When you read race reports, you see time and again, "The guy who finished after me beat all of my splits, but took a minute longer in T1 and that was the difference."

Most important, have a great time! Best of luck, and make sure to write a race report.

Everyones time starts ticking at the same moment right?  So if I wait back I'm just wasting time?  What I'm saying is that my time chip starts counting as soon as the gun goes off not as soon as I enter the water.  So if I play it "safe" and hang back my clock is still running right? 

I have swam three times now in a pool with the wetsuit on and have posted my fastest times while wearing it.  I feel very comfortable in the wetsuit.  It moves well and makes me faster.  The OWS is the scariest part for me because it's the one thing I haven't been able to train for an match exact race day conditions.  I can't swim in the private lake that the race is in.  I'm also too cheap to spend 20 bucks and go out to Lake Mead to test out a similar water temp and condition.  I'll just have to be shocked by the intense water temp and crowd on race day. 

Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice.  I'll for sure post a race report the first of next week.

A final question I have is about nutrition.  What should I eat Friday night and during the day on Saturday before the 3:30pm start time.  I don't want anything heavy and I don't want to eat something I'll puke up from all my nerves.  Also I haven't trained with any sort of energy boosting supplement or gels so should I avoid trying them for the first time on my race day?  I don't want something to make me all wired and burn me out after 20 minutes.

2009-03-25 1:09 PM

User image

Regular

No offense - I could do all of those times individually before my tri as well.  What happened was

1 -  I panicked on the swim and couldn't breath.  I ended up coming in at 12 mins.  I was wiped out and didn't have my normal breath for the bike.

2 - The bike was about 1 mph slower than I had been training.

3 - My run was about 1 mile per min slower than I could run by itself.

I didn't even place in the top 10 in my AG.

I wish you the best and confidence is good but take heed:

a) start swimming slowly.  breathe under water.  Once you get in a groove then open it up a bit.

b) start the first 1/2 bike off a little slower then hammer.

Edited by jesse_d 2009-03-25 1:09 PM
2009-03-25 1:23 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Have fun. 

I'll disagree with MJ's first post to sprint out 100 yards on the swim.  Unless you are an exceptionally fast swimmer and can get ahead of the crowd, you'll find yourself sucking air and thrashing the whole swim mid-pack or worse.  I'd even suggest waiting 10-15 seconds after your wave starts.  Your time starts with the gun, so you're "wasting" those few seconds, but can easily gain them back with a calm, relaxed, swim that sets you up for a great bike.  My absolute worst tri-swim was one where I thought I could swim with the pack and went out fast.  By waiting, you let the wave disperse and can spend more time not getting kicked or bounced around by others.  Save the energy, you'll want it for the ride and run. 

OWS faster or slower than a pool?  It all depends.  Can you breathe on either side equally well?  If you swim 25 yards with your eyes closed, do you find yourself tangled up in the lane lines?  In OWS, you won't have the visual cue of a black line to follow.  The more balanced your stroke, the less you'll have to raise your head to sight and the faster your overall swim will be.  If you can't swim 25 yards without the visual feedback, you'll need to sight every 10-15 yards to make sure you're still swimming where you want to go.  If you cannot breathe to the left, what are you going to do if the waves, sun, or another swimmer make breathing to the right difficult?  Yup, slow down...If you can breathe to either side, you'll just switch sides and keep swimming. 

The swim sprint is effective if you're fast enough to hang with the lead swimmers (they'll do 500 yards in about 5 minutes) and it's a draft-legal race.  Coming out of the water with the lead pack lets you ride with them, and the winner pulls ahead during the run. 

Edited by McFuzz 2009-03-25 1:24 PM
2009-03-25 1:25 PM

What sort of time ranges do really fast triathletes average in Sprint distances?

Can anyone tell me or point me to a website that would have such information.  Someone posted that elite racers can be between 47-55 minutes on a sprint.  WOW!!

2009-03-25 1:33 PM
in reply to: #2039527

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
johnnyutah5 - 2009-03-25 1:25 PM

What sort of time ranges do really fast triathletes average in Sprint distances?

Can anyone tell me or point me to a website that would have such information.  Someone posted that elite racers can be between 47-55 minutes on a sprint.  WOW!!

Unless this is an inaugural event, most sites have a link to past year's results. 

2009-03-25 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
I really depends on the course, my first sprint was really tricky. There was a very steep hill right out of transition and then the rest of the course was rolling and very tight blind curves. The run was flat (after climbing the stairs out of transition) but was exposed and very hot, only a little shade.

Every course is different, and sprints don't always have the same distance (mine was .25 mile swim, 9 mile bike and 3 mile run). Weather and water conditions play a factor too.

Everyone is different but I think you're focusing on your time a little too much for your first race. I looked at the previous year's time for my AG, looked at the guy in the middle and said "OK, I should be somewhere around here more or less."

Just be smart and soak it in, you only get one "first triathlon".

My advice to you is don't start on the inside with the fast guys and sprint out to the first 100 yards, I think that is terrible advice for your first race unless you are an experienced, top notch swimmer. Start on the outside in the back, wait a few seconds and take your time. You do not want to gas during the first 100 yards, it will ruin your day, trust me. When you do that, you throw everything out the window. Don't get caught up in trying to start fast. Don't worry, you won't be the last one out of the water.
2009-03-25 1:38 PM
in reply to: #2039380

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland, FL

Yes this is a sprint race the race website says 700m swim 11 mile bike 5k run.  Thanks for the top race times I've had a hell of a time finding total race times anywhere. 

If you go to the website, they often times post the previous years results, or try to search the races results on the internet.

2009-03-25 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2039527

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
johnnyutah5 - 2009-03-25 2:25 PM

Trifind.com.  Click on your state (or any state) and click on race results on the left hand side. 

Coolrunning.com also has race results

2009-03-25 1:55 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Or check to see if there are any race reports here from previous years. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First time tri nerves and questions killing me. Rss Feed  

of 2