General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First time tri nerves and questions killing me. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-03-25 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2039527

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Subject: RE: First time tri nerves and questions killing me.
johnnyutah5 - 2009-03-25 1:25 PM

What sort of time ranges do really fast triathletes average in Sprint distances?

Can anyone tell me or point me to a website that would have such information.  Someone posted that elite racers can be between 47-55 minutes on a sprint.  WOW!!

First off, I'd suggest not worrying about your placement on your first triathlon.  You'll learn a lot about pacing, transitions, etc., just by doing this one.  You'll have plenty of races later when you can worry about placing high, and you may very well place high on this one. 

I'd start out particularly slow on the swim (cold water can really take your breath away) and build speed once you're feeling comfortable.  On the bike go fast, but make sure you can hold the pace and save a bit for the run.  On the run go at the fastest pace you can sustain for 20 minutes. 

I don't consider myself fast, and I'm probably 30 years older than you, but in sprint I expect to swim at about 1:40 or better per 100 meters (8:20 for 500 meters), I expect to ride over 22 mph on a flat course this year, and run around 6:50 per mile for a 5k on a flat course.  My swim times are respectable in most triathlons (the real swimmers can beat me easily, but I'm often in the top 10% overall).  The fast guys in my AG (45-49) and any other AG for that matter can beat me handily on the bike (23+ mph) and whip me on the run (6 to 6:30 miles aren't usual in my AG, and faster in younger AGs).  I place well when the fast guys don't show up!

Brian

Brian 

2009-03-25 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2039518

McFuzz - 2009-03-25 1:23 PM

Have fun. 

I'll disagree with MJ's first post to sprint out 100 yards on the swim.  Unless you are an exceptionally fast swimmer and can get ahead of the crowd, you'll find yourself sucking air and thrashing the whole swim mid-pack or worse.  I'd even suggest waiting 10-15 seconds after your wave starts.  Your time starts with the gun, so you're "wasting" those few seconds, but can easily gain them back with a calm, relaxed, swim that sets you up for a great bike.  My absolute worst tri-swim was one where I thought I could swim with the pack and went out fast.  By waiting, you let the wave disperse and can spend more time not getting kicked or bounced around by others.  Save the energy, you'll want it for the ride and run. 

OWS faster or slower than a pool?  It all depends.  Can you breathe on either side equally well?  If you swim 25 yards with your eyes closed, do you find yourself tangled up in the lane lines?  In OWS, you won't have the visual cue of a black line to follow.  The more balanced your stroke, the less you'll have to raise your head to sight and the faster your overall swim will be.  If you can't swim 25 yards without the visual feedback, you'll need to sight every 10-15 yards to make sure you're still swimming where you want to go.  If you cannot breathe to the left, what are you going to do if the waves, sun, or another swimmer make breathing to the right difficult?  Yup, slow down...If you can breathe to either side, you'll just switch sides and keep swimming. 

The swim sprint is effective if you're fast enough to hang with the lead swimmers (they'll do 500 yards in about 5 minutes) and it's a draft-legal race.  Coming out of the water with the lead pack lets you ride with them, and the winner pulls ahead during the run. 

Of all the sprint tri results I've found the fastest people are about 10 minutes tops in a sprint distance swim.  I'm assuming 700 meters.  I can't see where any results show a racer swimming a time of 5 minutes.  Not that it doesn't happen I just haven't seen that yet.

2009-03-25 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2039641

User image

Lafayette, CO
johnnyutah5 - 2009-03-25 1:06 PM
McFuzz - 2009-03-25 1:23 PM

Have fun. 

I'll disagree with MJ's first post to sprint out 100 yards on the swim.  Unless you are an exceptionally fast swimmer and can get ahead of the crowd, you'll find yourself sucking air and thrashing the whole swim mid-pack or worse.  I'd even suggest waiting 10-15 seconds after your wave starts.  Your time starts with the gun, so you're "wasting" those few seconds, but can easily gain them back with a calm, relaxed, swim that sets you up for a great bike.  My absolute worst tri-swim was one where I thought I could swim with the pack and went out fast.  By waiting, you let the wave disperse and can spend more time not getting kicked or bounced around by others.  Save the energy, you'll want it for the ride and run. 

OWS faster or slower than a pool?  It all depends.  Can you breathe on either side equally well?  If you swim 25 yards with your eyes closed, do you find yourself tangled up in the lane lines?  In OWS, you won't have the visual cue of a black line to follow.  The more balanced your stroke, the less you'll have to raise your head to sight and the faster your overall swim will be.  If you can't swim 25 yards without the visual feedback, you'll need to sight every 10-15 yards to make sure you're still swimming where you want to go.  If you cannot breathe to the left, what are you going to do if the waves, sun, or another swimmer make breathing to the right difficult?  Yup, slow down...If you can breathe to either side, you'll just switch sides and keep swimming. 

The swim sprint is effective if you're fast enough to hang with the lead swimmers (they'll do 500 yards in about 5 minutes) and it's a draft-legal race.  Coming out of the water with the lead pack lets you ride with them, and the winner pulls ahead during the run. 

Of all the sprint tri results I've found the fastest people are about 10 minutes tops in a sprint distance swim.  I'm assuming 700 meters.  I can't see where any results show a racer swimming a time of 5 minutes.  Not that it doesn't happen I just haven't seen that yet.

You're not comparing apples to apples.  Some sprint races will do a distance of 700 meters, some 750, some 800, some 500.  You just can't compare without knowing the distance of the race.  In addition, bike distances are different as well.  Your sprint lists 11, the first one I'll do this year is 14 and I've seen 12 tossed in as bike distances in sprints as well.  

2009-03-25 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2039547

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
McFuzz - 2009-03-25 2:33 PM

What sort of time ranges do really fast triathletes average in Sprint distances?

Can anyone tell me or point me to a website that would have such information.  Someone posted that elite racers can be between 47-55 minutes on a sprint.  WOW!!

Unless this is an inaugural event, most sites have a link to past year's results. 

I tried to find last years results but couldn't. The winning time depends entirely on who shows up (as others have said). Two things from my perspective: First, the fast guys in tris I have done can be VERY fast. A good bike average for an 11 mile ride might be in the 25+mph range (one sprint race I did, the winning bike time was 36 mins for 15 miles and the 5K run time was 17 mins. This was NOT an elite race either...just some really fast people racing). Second, don't underestimate the run after biking under race conditions. I know you've trained this but racing is different. Either way, good luck. Try not to stress about your position in the race and just race as hard as you can. And enjoy it. Its your first one!

2009-03-25 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2039465

Master
johnnyutah5 - 2009-03-25 2:06 PM
mrheathen - 2009-03-25 12:54 PM

My race partner finished 2nd among first timers in our race last year, despite having swam and biked only during our rehearsal a couple of weeks before, so if you're in good shape, I don't think your goal is unreasonable.

Chat up some of the people in the wave before yours. Find the veterans that are serious about it, and watch where they line up on the shore. Also, don't be afraid to wade in slowly and let the herd move ahead a little before you start if you are bothered by the thought of swimming in the crowd.

I got kicked in the face about 3/4 of the way through my swim, so hard I thought my goggles must be cracked, and I was still foggy by the time I got on my bike. Hopefully it won't happen to you, but it's likely you will at least get elbowed and jostled.

If you haven't done an open water swim, be prepared to be surprised. Even aside from the temp, it will be far different from the pool. Definitely practice swimming in the wetsuit. If you can find an OWS tonight or tomorrow, I'd try it out.

You'll be jacked up with excitement and adrenaline when you hit the water, and the cold water won't make that any easier. If you're anything like me, you'll hit the water at 110% and will have to focus to get yourself back to a sustainable pace that will leave some in the tank for the next two events.

My T1 was terrible. I was groggy from the kick in the face, and there was at least 1/4 mile to travel between the water and my bike, over sand and blacktop. I would try to get rack your bike as close to the swim as the organizers allow. You've obviously put a lot of thought into your transitions, and I think it should serve you well. While I had my stuff arranged reasonably well, I hadn't practiced the transitions at all. You can lay out your stuff in your living room and practice making a quick change of clothes. The time you spend in transition will make a huge impact on your overall time, particularly in a sprint. When you read race reports, you see time and again, "The guy who finished after me beat all of my splits, but took a minute longer in T1 and that was the difference."

Most important, have a great time! Best of luck, and make sure to write a race report.

Everyones time starts ticking at the same moment right?  So if I wait back I'm just wasting time?  What I'm saying is that my time chip starts counting as soon as the gun goes off not as soon as I enter the water.  So if I play it "safe" and hang back my clock is still running right? 

I have swam three times now in a pool with the wetsuit on and have posted my fastest times while wearing it.  I feel very comfortable in the wetsuit.  It moves well and makes me faster.  The OWS is the scariest part for me because it's the one thing I haven't been able to train for an match exact race day conditions.  I can't swim in the private lake that the race is in.  I'm also too cheap to spend 20 bucks and go out to Lake Mead to test out a similar water temp and condition.  I'll just have to be shocked by the intense water temp and crowd on race day. 

Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice.  I'll for sure post a race report the first of next week.

A final question I have is about nutrition.  What should I eat Friday night and during the day on Saturday before the 3:30pm start time.  I don't want anything heavy and I don't want to eat something I'll puke up from all my nerves.  Also I haven't trained with any sort of energy boosting supplement or gels so should I avoid trying them for the first time on my race day?  I don't want something to make me all wired and burn me out after 20 minutes.

If it's a chip-timed race (which it seems like most are), your time will not start until you cross the starting line/starting mat.  So, you can hang back and wait for the rush of people to get going before you without being penalized.

2009-03-25 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2039289

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Couple of comments on this one.  This race's equivelant was my first tri last year, you can check my race report for details. The course bike map looks a little different, I think we had 3 laps around the village.  

One suggestion that might help is to remove your entire wetsuit after the swim if the transition and swim start layout are the same. The end of the swim and the start of the run were at least a quarter mile apart. You'll be totally dry after that and it's harder to get the wetsuit off.  It was August when I did the race so didn't have a wetsuit on.

The results page from the Lake Las Vegas tri last year can be found at : http://www.sunsetracing.com/llv-race-results. 

2009-03-25 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2039641

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
johnnyutah5 - 2009-03-25 2:06 PM

Ironman, Half-Ironman, and Olympic/International distance races are pretty well defined, but that doesn't always tell you much. 

A sprint triathlon is really anything else, and they're generally shorter than an Olympic distance race.  One of the "Sprints" in our area was a 1.5 mile swim, a 20 mile bike, and a 6 mile run.  (Yes, the race director for that race was a former swimmer. )  He wanted something where the fastest finishers were about equal on all three splits (in this case, 40-45 minutes). 

I've done sprints where the swim was as short as 500 yards and as long as 800 meters.  Times may (or may not) include the run from the water to the transition area.  In my races, this run was usually 100-200 yards, but I've seen races where this run was over a quarter mile.  I've also seen or heard of sprints where the swim is 200 or 250 yards. 

2009-03-25 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2039935

hamiltks10 - 2009-03-25 4:41 PM

If it's a chip-timed race (which it seems like most are), your time will not start until you cross the starting line/starting mat.  So, you can hang back and wait for the rush of people to get going before you without being penalized.

If there IS a start mat/line, which in most cases, there is not. At least not in the triathlons I've done - running races, yes, there is usually a starting mat that you cross. If it's a wave swim start, your timing chip goes off when your wave goes. If it's a pool start, you are given a seed time, at which your timing chip goes off. That's why with pool swims, even if there are people who don't show up in the slots before you, they still make you wait until it's "your" slot.

2009-03-25 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2039954

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
wurkit_gurl - 2009-03-25 3:47 PM

If there IS a start mat/line, which in most cases, there is not. At least not in the triathlons I've done - running races, yes, there is usually a starting mat that you cross. If it's a wave swim start, your timing chip goes off when your wave goes. If it's a pool start, you are given a seed time, at which your timing chip goes off. That's why with pool swims, even if there are people who don't show up in the slots before you, they still make you wait until it's "your" slot.

Around here it's all in-water starts.  No beach starts where you run across a mat (clock starts) then into the water.  The clock starts when the gun goes off for each wave.  Don't know about the OPs race, though.

Brian

2009-03-25 4:29 PM

User image

Elite
Miami

http://multirace.com/

click on event results and pick a triathlon you will see all the racers results.  these are all florida races.

to give you an idea winners of the sprints i have done:

Tradition Triathlon - 42:50  (1/4 m, 10m, 2.5m)

Mack Cycle Trilogy - 48:01 (1/4m, 10m, 3.1m)

American Financial - 44:02 (1/4m, 10m, 2.5m)

CAUTION:  these are elite men but just showing you what times you are looking at. 

2009-03-26 7:36 AM
in reply to: #2039978

User image

Extreme Veteran
famelec - 2009-03-25 4:54 PM

Around here it's all in-water starts.  No beach starts where you run across a mat (clock starts) then into the water.  The clock starts when the gun goes off for each wave.  Don't know about the OPs race, though.

Brian

My thinking was that, especially as a first-timer, he may not want to dive right into the scrum in his first OWS and add wrestling to race jitters and cold water. A well planned and rehearsed T1 could easily make up that 15-20 seconds on most of the field.

2009-03-26 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
johnnyutah5 - 2009-03-25 2:25 PM

The top times will depend on the course but for sprints they generally are 1:10-1:15 per 100 for the swim (includes getting out and across the timing pad), 24-26 mph on the bike and 5:30-6:15/mile on the run.
2009-03-26 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2040975

Master
mrheathen - 2009-03-26 8:36 AM
famelec - 2009-03-25 4:54 PM

Brian

My thinking was that, especially as a first-timer, he may not want to dive right into the scrum in his first OWS and add wrestling to race jitters and cold water. A well planned and rehearsed T1 could easily make up that 15-20 seconds on most of the field.

If you want to keep out of the scrum, but not give up too much time waiting for the group to start.....begin off to the side but towards the front.  That way, you've got a little room and you can still sprint out front if you're feeling good....or you can start slow and relaxed, and then move towards the middle once the group spreads out a bit.

2009-03-26 11:25 AM

User image

Regular
Rhode Island
I think the biggest thing you're underrating in the swim is the washing machine. As others have mentioned, its not a bad idea to stay back. Yeah, you're "wasting" 10-15 seconds, but the swimmers up front will be serious. It took me a few races until I decided that I would just get in the middle of it and take whatever happens. Many people can only breathe on one side, so if you're on the other side of them, they won't see you. They'll whack you with a hand or even swim over you. You could also get your goggles knocked off (put them on before the swim cap, so you don't lose them), or you could be in the middle of taking a breath when someone pushes or kicks water into your mouth. All at the same time that you're trying to catch your breath from the start and need air. Or you could just zip out in front of everyone and cruise in being the first person out of the water. I guess we'll see.

But your goal of being in the top 10 in any race, where you don't know who else is going to be there and what they're planning on doing may be (sorry) silly. How do you know that you won't have all the top pros in the world at your race? You never know. Then you could have the race of your life and not come anywhere close to top 10. It might be smarter to put time goals on yourself and then let the placement fall wherever that is.

Also with the swimming and where you're not wearing a full suit, 60 degrees is no joke. 70s is pretty cold water when you first get in. But low 60s to upper 50s? That'll take your breath away and bodies don't usually perform well when some energy is being used to maintain temperature. Good luck with that.

Looking forward to your race report.
2009-03-26 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
I want to add one more thing in reference to the last post. I totally agree, the effect of cold water must be appreciated. 55 degree water will take your breath away and you don't want that at the start of a race when your HR is already higher than it should be and the butterflies are doing their thing. When your face first hits the water, you might find it harder to breathe OUT as your reflex will be to hold your breath. Pay careful attention to this during the first dozen breaths or so. Make sure you are breathing out continuously.

Make sure you get in the water and warm up, get your face in the water. Even if you are just treading and bobbing, it will help you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First time tri nerves and questions killing me. Rss Feed  

of 2