General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Morning workouts--how do you hydrate? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-30 10:30 AM

Subject: Morning workouts--how do you hydrate?
This might be a stupid question, but if I ever begin working out BEFORE work (which would be a feat in and of itself) how would I get the proper hydration, considering that I've been without water since the night before? I like working out in the evenings, because I'm hydrated from the day (and wide awake) and so I'm not getting my first water intake immediately before the workout, as I would if I also started working out in the A.M. Just curious as to if you feel dehydrated in the morning, and how long before working out in the a.m., should I start drinking to ensure that I don't get worn out/dehydrated? I go through roughly 32 oz of water DURING my spinervals workout in the evenings, and that's after a full day of hydration. I noticed that quite a few of you on here workout before work, so just picking your brains as to how you hydrate yourself in the a.m.

I might want to start working out in the mornings, just 2x per week, and in the evenings, just to add variety, and to get myself accustomed to split routines in one day.

Please let me know whatcha think....thanks.

Sharon

2005-03-30 11:03 AM
in reply to: #135695

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Subject: RE: Morning workouts--how do you hydrate?

I'm an early morning person for all my workouts, so first, I make sure when I go to bed, I'm fully hydrated.

If I'm running from my house in the morning, if it's anything less that 8 miles, I just down a half of glass of gatorade right before I walk out the door.  I don't bring anything with me.  Now that the warmer weather is starting to get here, I'll probably be knocking that down to 6 miles.  On anything over that, I have a camelbak 45oz waist pack that I fill and take with me. 

If I'm going to the gym, I down a cup of coffee on the way there .  And also bring a 32 oz water bottle that gets me through spin class.  Then about another 16 oz when I lift weights after.

The one advantage of working out in the morning is that you can find out what does and doesn't work for you come race day, since most races go off early in the morning.

Chris

2005-03-30 11:14 AM

Master
Shreveport, LA
I usually drink a glass of water on the way to the gym.

I also carry along my water bottle from my bike and drink while I am spinning, running, or after swimming.

This sounds really weird, but I only at the mile markers on the run. I have only been in one 5K, but the hydration points were near the mile markers, so I figure I need to get use to hydrating at those points.

For the bike, since I have the bottle on my bike, I can drink anytime I need to.
2005-03-30 12:10 PM
in reply to: #135717

Isn't coffee considered "drying" to the system? I've read that. I will just have to try it, (morning workout) although losing sleep will be the issue more so than losing water, for me...haha

Are you more tired in the morning, because you have to get up soooo early, since you're doing this b4 work?

Now, if I "spin" in the morning, then I'll have the water right there on the bike, but walking/jogging is more of my concern...maybe I could switch that to evening. Just thinking out loud.
2005-03-30 12:21 PM
in reply to: #135745

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Are you more tired in the morning, because you have to get up soooo early, since you're doing this b4 work?

You will need to adjust your bedtime on the other end. I'm up at 4:30am every morning, but I'm in bed no later than 9pm so that I get my 7 1/2 hours sleep in.

Now, if I "spin" in the morning, then I'll have the water right there on the bike, but walking/jogging is more of my concern...

How long of a workout are you doing? Unless you're going significantly long distances you should be OK with a glass of water before and a glass of water after. Chris (above) says eight miles is his threshhold, I have no problem doing my 5.5-mile morning run without drinking.

2005-03-30 12:33 PM
in reply to: #135753

My kids don't even go to bed at 9pm.

That might be a challenge, but I could try it one or two nights a week....This isn't going to happen for another few weeks, because I just don't think I'm ready to split a routine into one day. (bike and jog in 1 day) But, I'll get there....thanks for your reply! I know I'll have to rearrange my nightly routine, too....it's all doable, just might be tough in the beginning for me.

(I honestly didn't even think about going to bed earlier, actually...haha)

2005-03-30 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Sharon,
I tend to feel more hydrated in the morning that in the evening. In the evening if feels like all the water I drink is going into the system to process the food and drinks consumed during the day. I have no idea if works like that, but that's how it feels.
I have a little 10oz juice (cheap at Costco) on the way to the pool (for a few calories) and keep a water bottle on the deck. I may drink 4-6 ozs while swimming. Running in the morning - like the others said, under an hour I don't carry fluids.
Getting used to going to bed and getting up early will be more of an issue than hydration. Consisten bed and wake up times are important for the best rest.
Good luck
2005-03-30 1:45 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Yeah, just hydrate well the night before.  If I swim, I just have a glass of OJ before I head out the door and rarely drink at all during the swim.  Bike or run, I bring fluids with me if I need them.  I can get away without drinking for up to an hour run at this time of year, but usually I'll bring some water and/or gatorade for anything over 30 minutes as it usually helps.
2005-03-30 2:07 PM
in reply to: #135779

Thanks for the replies! I think that I'll just have to test it out, then. I can always take the water bottle with me on the walk/jog...duh. It's been one of those days....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Morning workouts--how do you hydrate? Rss Feed