Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-04-02 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2057308

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi
Subject: RE: New Garmin
When they come up with a watch that will actually take GPS info on OWS and HR info on swims, then I'll upgrade... til then, I'll stick with my 305...  didn't see the need for the 405, and the minute I go for the 310xt, they'll come out with something I REALLY want! So... patience Diane!

2009-04-02 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2057660

Cardholic - 2009-04-02 1:18 PM When they come up with a watch that will actually take GPS info on OWS and HR info on swims, then I'll upgrade... til then, I'll stick with my 305...  didn't see the need for the 405, and the minute I go for the 310xt, they'll come out with something I REALLY want! So... patience Diane!

That's kinda my thinking. I don't want to keep buying stuff every few years. I do have a HRM ($100 Timex Ironman), but I really want the Garmin so I can run wherever I want without having to either pre-map the course, or try to do it later. That's annoying. But I want to make sure I know EXACTLY all of the scenarios I'd want it for - like a longer race; do I want the GPS capability there too? Since my current HRM is wearable in the water. But I want to avoid having 6 different gadgets to cover all the carp I may want.

2009-04-02 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2057592

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
lisac957 - 2009-04-02 1:01 PM

bradword - 2009-04-02 11:50 AM Well I guess the 405 isn't that bad, but no routing functions (not a big deal), but no multisport kind of sucks for racing. I enjoy the bigger screen and up to 4 data fields on the 305 that I don't think you get on the 405. Also, can you get the quick release kit for the 405?

Yeah I guess if you want someting for racing the multisport "one-button" push would make a difference. I use it solely for a training tool, and can switch from "run" to "bike" mode as needed.

The 405 has 3 data fields on the screen, but you can "tap" through the other ba-zillion data fields as needed.

405 Bike Mount

I agree. Even in races its easy to track which part was biking and which part was running if you just stop the watch for a second to "mark" it. Do you have the bike mount? Does it work well? I actually just ride with it on my wrist and glance down once in a while but the bike mount looks kinda handy...

2009-04-02 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I want a new toy!!!

Does this mean that the new 305 will sync with powermeters? The current version doesn't, is that correct? I've never actually looked into it, just curious.

Oh- and I love my 305, despite it's extra size. I would love to have a competition for smallest wrists in the world- how about all us ladies measure the diameter to determine who wins? j/k

I disagree with the other petite females here- I have no problems with my 305 and don't think the bulk is really that bad. I have the velcro strap and it works well, despite the fact that there are 2" of extra velcro at the end. It looks a bit silly, but still fits. The extra bulk does not make me want to spend the extra $$ on a product that has less features.

My problem is with the darn heart rate monitor strap!! They make this thing for athletes, than make a strap that won't fit a small figured woman? I mean, I wear normal bras, but even on its smallest setting, the HR strap is about 3" too big. I have to jam it under a sports bra to get it to fit. POOR planning on their part. Hopefully their new strap will solve this problem!
2009-04-02 12:39 PM

User image

Master
These new models are giving me hope that the old 305/405 models will drop in price!!
2009-04-02 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2057673

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
louiskie - 2009-04-02 12:21 PM
lisac957 - 2009-04-02 1:01 PM

bradword - 2009-04-02 11:50 AM Well I guess the 405 isn't that bad, but no routing functions (not a big deal), but no multisport kind of sucks for racing. I enjoy the bigger screen and up to 4 data fields on the 305 that I don't think you get on the 405. Also, can you get the quick release kit for the 405?

Yeah I guess if you want someting for racing the multisport "one-button" push would make a difference. I use it solely for a training tool, and can switch from "run" to "bike" mode as needed.

The 405 has 3 data fields on the screen, but you can "tap" through the other ba-zillion data fields as needed.

405 Bike Mount

I agree. Even in races its easy to track which part was biking and which part was running if you just stop the watch for a second to "mark" it. Do you have the bike mount? Does it work well? I actually just ride with it on my wrist and glance down once in a while but the bike mount looks kinda handy...

No, I don't have it. Just demonstrating that it does exist.

2009-04-02 12:41 PM

User image

, Texas

If you put the GPS in your swim cap or tri-top/shorts rear pocket (some even come with zippers), there's a good chance you will get very good GPS tracks. If you also wear your heart strap on your back instead of chest, you will probably get decent HR data too (unless your swim position is really bad).

Here's what I find interesting about it:

- It's thicker than the 305. I guess this is expected since they moved the antannae & increased battery life
- it supports ant+ power meters. IMHO, this is a big deal
- Wireless sync sounds cool, but I always charge my 305 via USB while downloading
- I'm pleasantly suprised at the cost. I thought it would be in the $450 range

2009-04-02 1:05 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Ok BTers educate me about the forerunner models.

I have an REI gift card and I've been kicking the idea of getting a Garmin. I already have a polar R400 that I use to track running pace distance and power meters (don't use a HR anymore at all) so I dont really need it I guesss, but still I am always getting new toys!

Anyway, one thing it always turned me away from the forerunner was the water restitance issue; I mean, I dont specifically want it for simw training but it would be neat to be abe to track distance for OWS or not have to use two different watches.

Another thing I heard is that the they don't track live pace very well, is that true? I love the polar because it tells you your pace all the time and that is great for specific training. What about using it as a GPS to navigate while riding? IOW, can I load a route on the garmin and just follow it trhough my ride (I have a tendency to explore and ended up lost!). I was leaning to the 405 but I've heard many people like the 301 much more, even those who have both. I guess they have different features?

Thanks for the info in advance!

2009-04-02 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2057660

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Cardholic - 2009-04-02 12:18 PM When they come up with a watch that will actually take GPS info on OWS and HR info on swims, then I'll upgrade...

These quotes about how the systems "don't track" HR info while swimming, or implying that the watches "know the difference of the environment" are misleading.  It's not that the HRM strap can't measure the HR.  The issue is that the watch can't get a strong enough signal to receive the info consistently.  Wireless signals as these frequencies are very quickly absorbed by water.  Hence, if your 305 is under your swim cap, it can read (and record the GPS signal) since it is not getting absorbed by the water.  However, the GPS signal and/or HR strap transmission can't penetrate the couple feet of water to be picked up consistently by the watch while you're swimming.  (think: surface of water down to wrist in middle of the pull; or chest strap to outstretched arm during the catch)

(If you really need to track HR while you're swimming, you can look at the Suunto T6C and the optional memory strap.  It solves this problem by storing the HR data into memory on the HR strap itself, not the watch.  Later (not real time), you can download that data to your software and integratie it with your other workout data on your computer.)

2009-04-02 1:22 PM
in reply to: #2057869

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
JorgeM - 2009-04-02 12:05 PM

I have an REI gift card and I've been kicking the idea of getting a Garmin. I already have a polar R400 that I use to track running pace distance and power meters (don't use a HR anymore at all) so I dont really need it I guesss, but still I am always getting new toys!

Anyway, one thing it always turned me away from the forerunner was the water restitance issue; I mean, I dont specifically want it for simw training but it would be neat to be abe to track distance for OWS or not have to use two different watches.

Another thing I heard is that the they don't track live pace very well, is that true? I love the polar because it tells you your pace all the time and that is great for specific training. What about using it as a GPS to navigate while riding? IOW, can I load a route on the garmin and just follow it trhough my ride (I have a tendency to explore and ended up lost!). I was leaning to the 405 but I've heard many people like the 301 much more, even those who have both. I guess they have different features?

Routing can be pre-done, or there is a return home feature that will guide you back after exploring (I Have the 305...not sure on 40x series). I have never had any issue with live pace on my 305 although others have. I have heard it might have to do with larger arm swing? Maybe not.

Here is a link to a century I did on motionbased. Will give you an idea of the data you can get from the device as is. The new one could also include power if you have an ANT+ power meter.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3698080
2009-04-02 1:27 PM
in reply to: #2057869

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
JorgeM - 2009-04-02 2:05 PM

I have an REI gift card and I've been kicking the idea of getting a Garmin. I already have a polar R400 that I use to track running pace distance and power meters (don't use a HR anymore at all) so I dont really need it I guesss, but still I am always getting new toys!

Another thing I heard is that the they don't track live pace very well, is that true? I love the polar because it tells you your pace all the time and that is great for specific training. What about using it as a GPS to navigate while riding? IOW, can I load a route on the garmin and just follow it trhough my ride (I have a tendency to explore and ended up lost!). I was leaning to the 405 but I've heard many people like the 301 much more, even those who have both. I guess they have different features?

To get over the mild annoyance of the slightly inaccurate current pace, you just have to have a setting for 'lap pace'. If you are doing small intervals, just hit lap frequently, and it seems accurate on pacing. I usually only see discrepancies on current pace when I'm just starting, or changing pace. I can't imagine that it would be any less accurate than a foot pod- doesn't that depend on how consistent your stride is? What is the accuracy comparison between a foot pod and GPS?

ETA- the 'find home thing' is a cool feature, just make sure you practice using it before you go and get lost in the woods! I tried to use it when I got lost, and couldn't understand the function, since I'd never used it, and ending up having to hitchhike (with my dog) back home. HA!

Edited by jazz82482 2009-04-02 1:30 PM

2009-04-02 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2057399

User image

Elite
san francisco
Lisa B - 2009-04-02 9:14 AM

wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-02 12:02 PM Why don't they waterproof the 405? Grrr... The 305 is like a TV strapped to my wrist. I would like a Garmin, but I'd buy the 405 since it's much smaller.

I'm 5'2" and petite with tiny wrists and I have the 305.  You don't even notice it.  No problem getting used to it at all.  I would suggest the quick release velcro strap on it as opposed to the plastic one with holes that it comes with.

X2 on the "you don't notice it"...I am also very small wristed and now have 40 something eyes, so if it were any smaller, I might not be able to read all 4 screens!!!

2009-04-02 1:32 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Very cool.  I love the form factor, the battery life and the water proofing.  I have the 305 and will live with that, but those are the features that are missign from the 305.  I end up wearing two watches in my longer races.  One for total time (Timex), and one for the run (305).

Jorge - I think you would be very happy with the 310xt.  I know Garmin will say that the HR and GPS tracking won't work in the water, but if you stick it in your swim cap, you can get very good measurements in OWS.  I would bet that even on your wrist, it may be spotty, but you still will get some good information.  Secondily, I disagree with the accurate pacing.  Although, its not instantaneous, it is very, very close.  I do all my running based on pace, and it works great.  Is there some lag, yes.  Is it noticiable? not really.  And you can load routes beforehand and follow them.  Although, the older models do not work with the power meters, the new one will.

2009-04-02 1:48 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Good stuff! It seems the 310xt model would be the best choice! I do have a PT 2.4 with ANT+ so that would be a nice toy to have in addition to the PT.

I also use RaceDay software to track my training load and other cool stuff and for the moment it is only compatible with Garmin (for running) hence it will be nice to have one. Dammit, I am so impatient and I want it now; but it seems it wont be available until the summer…

2009-04-02 1:49 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

To Jorge...

I also agree that the Garmin's pacing data is pure CRAP.  It's never given me an accurate value...ever.  If you're trying to pace off your Garmin you are going to get very very very frustrated.

But I would like some of the posters who say "the 405 doesn't have the features the 305 does" to expound on these features.  Others seem to like the 405 just fine so there is obviously a discrepancy somewhere.  Kind of like when Office 07 came out...people hated it just because they didn't know how to use it.  Is this the case with the 405?

To everyone in general...

Why does everyone make such a big deal about "racing" with the Garmin as if they can't race without it?  Is it because it's your only HRM?  If so, buy a cheap polar to wear for races.  Races have a set distance, so you don't need GPS to tell you how far you went.  And you can wear a waterproof Polar for the whole race.  I think wearing something as bulky as a Garmin would annoy me during a race.

2009-04-02 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2058068

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
jldicarlo - 2009-04-02 2:49 PM

To Jorge...

I also agree that the Garmin's pacing data is pure CRAP. It's never given me an accurate value...ever. If you're trying to pace off your Garmin you are going to get very very very frustrated.

But I would like some of the posters who say "the 405 doesn't have the features the 305 does" to expound on these features. Others seem to like the 405 just fine so there is obviously a discrepancy somewhere. Kind of like when Office 07 came out...people hated it just because they didn't know how to use it. Is this the case with the 405?

Why does everyone make such a big deal about "racing" with the Garmin as if they can't race without it? Is it because it's your only HRM? If so, buy a cheap polar to wear for races. Races have a set distance, so you don't need GPS to tell you how far you went. And you can wear a waterproof Polar for the whole race. I think wearing something as bulky as a Garmin would annoy me during a race.

Again- the 'current pace' is often misleading, it can vary based on the signal strength- but if you average your pace, then hit the 'lap' button every so often, or have it set at autolap, then you can very easily get an accurate pace. I would guess that anything over a 100meter dash will be pretty accurate.

And the difference in features between the 305 and 405 are very few- multisport mode and the ability to add a route. My comment was meant that it didn't justify spending an additional $300 when I already have a 305. Also, since the difference in size is a mere 17 grams, I don't see why, if buying a new one, it wouldn't make more sense to take advantage of the giant sale prices on a new 305 vs. the 405. The size difference, IMO, is almost non-existant, especially when you consider that the 405, in order to be smaller, has a smaller screen size, which means while working out, it might be harder to see your pace, distance, time, etc. I have no idea if that is actually true, but it was something I considered. Since you can't have all the data on the screen at once, it means you might have to mess with your watch more, that's all.

Oh, and by the way, I love Office '07, and completely agree with your assessment on why people 'hated it' so its not that I generally have a problem with 'new' things. I'm just putting forth my justification for not upgrading and saving some $$

That being said I WANT THE NEW ONE!!

2009-04-02 2:11 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
jldicarlo - 2009-04-02 1:49 PM

Why does everyone make such a big deal about "racing" with the Garmin as if they can't race without it?  Is it because it's your only HRM?  If so, buy a cheap polar to wear for races.  Races have a set distance, so you don't need GPS to tell you how far you went.  And you can wear a waterproof Polar for the whole race.  I think wearing something as bulky as a Garmin would annoy me during a race.

The only argument I can come up with for wearing it in a race is to see your current pace so you can pace a longer race accordingly. But since that has proven to be a crap-shoot, I'm not sure it's worth it. Like I said earlier, I use it for a training tool.

In my Feb. marathon, I ran side-by-side with a girlfriend for the first 8 miles. We both had the exact same Garmin 405 on - I wanted my mile splits for historical purposes. Every time we'd look at our pace (and we started doing it just for kicks at one point), mine would consistently be 1-2 minutes slower pace than hers. Not sporatically - I mean I can see if I swang my arms crazily or it was just "off" once or twice-, but consistently. For 8 miles. Side by side. We ended up with the same splits in the end, but the "current" pace is crappy technology.

2009-04-02 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2058120

lisac957 - 2009-04-02 3:11 PM
jldicarlo - 2009-04-02 1:49 PM

The only argument I can come up with for wearing it in a race is to see your current pace so you can pace a longer race accordingly. But since that has proven to be a crap-shoot, I'm not sure it's worth it. Like I said earlier, I use it for a training tool.

In my Feb. marathon, I ran side-by-side with a girlfriend for the first 8 miles. We both had the exact same Garmin 405 on - I wanted my mile splits for historical purposes. Every time we'd look at our pace (and we started doing it just for kicks at one point), mine would consistently be 1-2 minutes slower pace than hers. Not sporatically - I mean I can see if I swang my arms crazily or it was just "off" once or twice-, but consistently. For 8 miles. Side by side. We ended up with the same splits in the end, but the "current" pace is crappy technology.

That was sort of my thinking. I'm definitely getting ahead of myself, since I have yet to even do an Oly (though I plan on doing a few this year), but I do have a couple of longer running races in my future, and assuming those go well, plan to do more. But I can always just wear my Timex HRM, look at my bike computer if I want my pace, and look at mile markers on the run. And just use the Garmin for training, or for road races only (and not assume they are 100% accurate).

2009-04-02 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2058119

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

jazz82482 - 2009-04-02 2:11 PM And the difference in features between the 305 and 405 are very few- multisport mode and the ability to add a route. 

And the ant+ technology on the 405 that automatically downloads to your computer when you get within so many feet of it.

2009-04-02 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2058134

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
lisac957 - 2009-04-02 3:15 PM

jazz82482 - 2009-04-02 2:11 PM And the difference in features between the 305 and 405 are very few- multisport mode and the ability to add a route.

And the ant+ technology on the 405 that automatically downloads to your computer when you get within so many feet of it.

Yeah! I thought that feature looked cool! So, you get home, and then your workout just magically pops up on your computer?
2009-04-02 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2057734

User image

Veteran
Southern California

jazz82482 - 2009-04-02 10:37 AM ...
My problem is with the darn heart rate monitor strap!! They make this thing for athletes, than make a strap that won't fit a small figured woman? I mean, I wear normal bras, but even on its smallest setting, the HR strap is about 3" too big. I have to jam it under a sports bra to get it to fit. POOR planning on their part. Hopefully their new strap will solve this problem!

My wife has the same issue. I just noticed this on the Garmin site. It is a small strap for the HRM. Gonna get one for her and see if it helps.

2009-04-02 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
jldicarlo - 2009-04-02 2:49 PM

To Jorge...

I also agree that the Garmin's pacing data is pure CRAP.  It's never given me an accurate value...ever.  If you're trying to pace off your Garmin you are going to get very very very frustrated.

But I would like some of the posters who say "the 405 doesn't have the features the 305 does" to expound on these features.  Others seem to like the 405 just fine so there is obviously a discrepancy somewhere.  Kind of like when Office 07 came out...people hated it just because they didn't know how to use it.  Is this the case with the 405?

Sure,  you're right it's just as effective to wear a regular watch and a pace band (talking running here) but it looks soooo cool to upload the race after i am done! i love to see the map and my splits afterward. It's alot more detail than chip timing alone will often give.  *giving away my nerdiness*

I just ran a 30k road race  and i can say that on average the pacing info was good.  I always use auto-lap because it verifies the pacing information (i have it beep and tell me every km how much time that km took).   I definitely used it to pace to my PR. Sealed (yay, still high from it)

2009-04-02 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2058146

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
bwiens - 2009-04-02 3:19 PM

jazz82482 - 2009-04-02 10:37 AM ...

My wife has the same issue. I just noticed this on the Garmin site. It is a small strap for the HRM. Gonna get one for her and see if it helps.

Awesome! Thanks!! I had to rig mine up to wear too!!

2009-04-02 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2057332

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
and you can use power also if have the ant+
2009-04-02 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2057587

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
Oh man that is crazy so it is water proof but no swim data not even heart rate??
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Garmin Rss Feed  

of 4