General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Epilator review: Its GITMO-TASTIC! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-04-02 2:01 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by AcesFull 2009-04-02 2:02 PM

2009-04-02 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2058096

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Epilator review: Its GITMO-TASTIC!

Heh.  Very funny.

I bought an epilator to take with me to the middle east due to the shortage of shower time for shaving.  It took me lots of advil an a beer or two to get through my legs the first time.

It DOES get easier and less painful eventually...especially if you don't wait for a lot of hair to grow in before re-doing it.

I still ended up with lots of ingrowns and stuff though.  So I have now decided to go the laser route.  Not the legs...I couldn't afford them.  But the *other* areas will be lased.  I will continue to just shave my legs for now...the ingrowns from epiltating were just too rough.

2009-04-02 2:16 PM

They've always sounded really painful, so I've stuck with regular shaving.

But it sounds like Marma missed out on a fun one to demo for his video

2009-04-02 2:27 PM

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!

Dude... LMAO...holy cheese nickle that was funny! Classic... silky smooth and tougher for it!

I'll scratch that from my list of must haves! 

2009-04-02 2:33 PM

Expert
Mississippi
HAHAHA, thanks for the laugh at your expense.  Man, oh man that was hilarious.
2009-04-02 2:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO
Pics or it didn't happen. Seriously... I've got to see pics of the results. I wonder if I could convince my hubby this would be a good idea for him... Unfortunately, he's got 70 lbs on me so I can't just pin him down and go to work.

2009-04-02 2:50 PM

Pro
Twin Cities

Okay, I have that exact same one, and I'm going to give you a few pointers.

First: Dude, man up. I would have known you were a dude, even if you didn't specify. Seriously? It's not that bad. It stings a little the first time, but after that, you're golden. (And it's not that loud. :p I can do it and watch TV)

Now:

Does yours come with  the two different guards? One flat and one with little rollers? The roller one is a bit more gentle, but the flat one works better. You may want to work your way up.

Second: If you go in with man-length leg hairs, you will be unhappy. Shave it down, give it a few days growth, then go at it. Too short and it won't grab the hair, too long, and you'll not get all the hair...and the ones you do get will hurt like a sonofabitch. Eventually you will determine optimum epilation length for yoru hair.

Third: Make sure yoru skin is free of lotions, etc. before you epliate. Then, when you're going to use the torture device, rub the hair the other way.

Fourth: Follow with a good soothing lotion--something for sensitive skin and designed to help with razor burn. You will probably be red and blotchy for a few hours (longer when you first start)

Fifth: EXFOLIATE EVERY SINGLE DAY IN THE SHOWER OR YOU WILL GET INGROWN HAIRS. LOTS.

It really does get easier. Exponentially so. ANd the more you do it, the finer your hair grows back. I have always had VERY dark leg hair--as in, I'd hsvae in the AM and have stubble by noon. Now, the hair that does grow in is fine and blonde, and you can hardly see it.

I will say, I also use it on the bikni areas, and let's just say...care is needed. Some parts of your anatomy are very apt to get caught in the tweezers if you don't pull them uber tight.

And if you really, really, really want fun...use it on your armpits. THAT hurts the first few times. Like REALLY hurts.  ;-)

2009-04-02 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2058267

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Fifth: EXFOLIATE EVERY SINGLE DAY IN THE SHOWER OR YOU WILL GET INGROWN HAIRS. LOTS.

I exfoliated every day AND used "after shave" products and STILL got ingrown hairs.  Some people just have that luck.

And for what it's worth...armpits hurt WAY less than legs did.  But maybe that's because I had been regularly waxing my armpits before I tried it on them.

2009-04-02 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2058222

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

lodewey - 2009-04-02 12:40 PM Pics or it didn't happen. Seriously... I've got to see pics of the results. I wonder if I could convince my hubby this would be a good idea for him... Unfortunately, he's got 70 lbs on me so I can't just pin him down and go to work.

All depends on how you approach it... A bottle of wine, some soft restraints, a little whisper in the ear....then WHAAAMMMMOOO!!!!!

I worked at Sears when the original epilady things came out, and after seeing the after Christmas aftermath at the return counter, I will never. ever. use one of those machines.

John 

2009-04-02 3:51 PM

Expert
New York
Never tried the epilator, but I do enjoy a good waxing (no, I don't). Best tip I can give you is take an anti-inflammatory about a half hour before you go to town, it takes the edge off a bit.

Beer also helps.
2009-04-02 4:07 PM

Denver, CO
Ouch. I'm not sure but I would imagine that the hair roots are different between men and women (on their legs) so this difference may contribute to why epilation is perceived to be more painful for men than women. Of course, it could be that men are wimps. And I'm certainly including me in the wimpy category.

2009-04-02 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2058591

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

csibona - 2009-04-02 5:07 PM Ouch. I'm not sure but I would imagine that the hair roots are different between men and women (on their legs) so this difference may contribute to why epilation is perceived to be more painful for men than women. Of course, it could be that men are wimps. And I'm certainly including me in the wimpy category.

There is no difference in the hair.  There may be a difference in pain receptors.  One word: Childbirth.

2009-04-02 7:23 PM

Extreme Veteran
mmrocker13 - 2009-04-02 3:50 PM

First: Dude, man up. I would have known you were a dude, even if you didn't specify. Seriously? It's not that bad. It stings a little the first time, but after that, you're golden. (And it's not that loud. :p I can do it and watch TV)

Now:

Does yours come with  the two different guards? One flat and one with little rollers? The roller one is a bit more gentle, but the flat one works better. You may want to work your way up.

Second: If you go in with man-length leg hairs, you will be unhappy. Shave it down, give it a few days growth, then go at it. Too short and it won't grab the hair, too long, and you'll not get all the hair...and the ones you do get will hurt like a sonofabitch. Eventually you will determine optimum epilation length for yoru hair.

Third: Make sure yoru skin is free of lotions, etc. before you epliate. Then, when you're going to use the torture device, rub the hair the other way.

Fourth: Follow with a good soothing lotion--something for sensitive skin and designed to help with razor burn. You will probably be red and blotchy for a few hours (longer when you first start)

It really does get easier. Exponentially so. ANd the more you do it, the finer your hair grows back. I have always had VERY dark leg hair--as in, I'd hsvae in the AM and have stubble by noon. Now, the hair that does grow in is fine and blonde, and you can hardly see it.

I will say, I also use it on the bikni areas, and let's just say...care is needed. Some parts of your anatomy are very apt to get caught in the tweezers if you don't pull them uber tight.

And if you really, really, really want fun...use it on your armpits. THAT hurts the first few times. Like REALLY hurts.  ;-)

I find this kinda funny...telling a guy to man up while shaving his legs....

2009-04-02 7:24 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Does that epilator come with a free pair of pink panties when a guy orders it?
2009-04-02 7:50 PM

Veteran
Lewisville, nc
I can't wait to use 'nippleville' in a sentence now! Thanks for that!
2009-04-02 7:59 PM
in reply to: #2059115

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by AcesFull 2009-04-02 8:11 PM

2009-04-02 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2058314

Pro
Twin Cities

I think the waxing may have helped--I've waxed my bikini area and legs, so wasn't really phazed at all. My poor pits tho...holy hannah, was that a new and special time. But after a few tiems, I was fine. Now it doesn't bug me at all, really.

Although, I'm just imagining how much a dude would cry if he tried it :p

2009-04-02 8:21 PM
in reply to: #2058591

Pro
Twin Cities
We all have the same hair. SOme of us...well, some of us just have a higher tolerance for pain. :p
2009-04-02 10:22 PM

Elite
Denver

My question: When you do this, how long until you need to repeat?

2009-04-02 11:14 PM

Regular

ahaha that's awesome.  I can't believe that you'd even consider the idea of using an epilator in the first place. 

Question:  do all triathletes shave . . . everything?  I refuse (for now

2009-04-03 12:14 AM

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
ROFLMAO!! Thanks! You just made my night shift a wee bit better!

2009-04-03 8:12 AM

Expert
Oakland, Fl

HAHA....What a great thread to read in the morning!  I cant imagine it being that bad, but I do have to ask...were these full length leg hairs or were they trimmed down? 

I know when I used to wax (now lasered) if I went an extra week or 2 the waxing was that much more painful.  On the other hand, going through the laser treatment is enough to take the words out of your mouth sometimes.....but that's 8 treatments and never again....Thinking about getting the legs done next.....I think a full body  Laser was about $3300 on sale.

2009-04-03 9:03 AM

Expert
mmrocker13 - 2009-04-02 2:50 PM

Now:

After reading the OP and then you saying you used on the bikini area I actually got weak in the knees with potential pain and mishaps. This is of course comijg from someone who dropped a pair of scissors point first into his berries but thats another story.

After trying waxing one time I really doubt you could get that device anywhere near me. I do however see a laser in my future once I find  a reputable place to go. And no Im not getting my legs lasered.

Edited by Imjin 2009-04-03 9:10 AM
2009-04-03 9:14 AM

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh

HAHAHAHA!!!  My two-year old thought I was really sad because I was crying as I read that...

Thanks man... that was awesome... and it is why I remain... for now at least... completely furry.

2009-04-03 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2060201

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Imjin - 2009-04-03 9:03 AM

After reading the OP and then you saying you used on the bikini area I actually got weak in the knees with potential pain and mishaps. This is of course comijg from someone who dropped a pair of scissors point first into his berries but thats another story.

After trying waxing one time I really doubt you could get that device anywhere near me. I do however see a laser in my future once I find  a reputable place to go. And no Im not getting my legs lasered.

You can't leave us hanging (like some berries)... sounds like a new thread... where truth is stranger than fiction!  come on, spill the beans (or the berries) and share... cheap entertainmemnt is hard to come by!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Epilator review: Its GITMO-TASTIC! Rss Feed  

of 2