BiafraGirl - Ony
junthank - Jeff
microspawn - James
alsi071 - Alex
stephcat - Stephannie
swise - Sandy
Kate_r - Kate

NAME: evondo / Eric

STORY: I swam for two years in college and have always loved competing. After lying dormant for a few years after college I decided to train for my first sprint triathlon in 2006. I was 40lbs overweight and couldn't run a mile straight but I made it through the race and was hooked on the sport. For me, it's hard to get motivated to workout if I'm not doing it for a purpose, triathlon was my new purpose. In 2007 I completed my first Olympic and was thrilled with the results (2:34) but knew I could be faster. On the way home from the race I told my girlfriend that next year I'm returning to this race and going 2:15. Of course she thought I was crazy and delirious from the race but 2008 rolled around with a finish of 2:10. This year I'm going to focus on the 70.3 distance and see how it goes.

FAMILY STATUS:
Engaged and to be married April 2010!

CURRENT TRAINING: I just finished the New Orleans 70.3 and will spend most of the spring/summer having fun with sprint/Olympic races. My A-race for the season will be the Longhorn 70.3 in October.

2008 RACES: 2008 was a very fun race season, got my first AG victory! Races: 3 sprint tris, an Olympic, a 70.3, a half marathon, a 10K and two 5Ks.  I exceeded the 2008 goals beyond my expectations so this year is a whole new set of 'stretch' goals.

2009 RACES: I started off the season with the Houston half marathon (PR) and the New Orleans 70.3 which didn't quite reach my goals so I'm planning to give it another shot at Longhorn 70.3.  From now till then I have a couple sprints and Olympic races planed.

WEIGHTLOSS: I was 225lbs when I started in 2006 and would like to maintain my current weight of ~185lbs.

PREFERRED MENTEES: Would like to have the group (10 people) split near evenly between men/women and participants log their workouts in the BT training log almost daily.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: This will be my second mentor group at BT, I loved the experience of the first one so I wanted to do it again. I hope my swimming background and constant itch for more knowledge about the sport will not only help me but others in the tri community.  I've been a self-coached athlete since starting triathlons and have worked my way through many issues and learning curves. I definitely don't know everything but am willing to research to try and help answer questions.  I'm logged into BT nearly every weekday from 8am-4pm CST and will be happy to help!

Edited by evondo 2009-04-13 7:22 PM

2009-04-08 5:32 PM
in reply to: #2069624

Subject: RE: Evondo's group - OPEN
NAME: Emile

STORY: Ten years after college I was totally out of shape and LARGE (I'll spare the gory details). I worked out in a gym for a few years and got myself down to my current moderately overweight status. Three years ago I completed a 200 mile bike ride - my first endurance event. Last year I decided to try triathlon, found BT and got started. I trained with a team last summer and completed my first sprint last August. After the season I got frustrated with the team and so decided to train on my own this year. I am a process freak so I like to follow an efficient plan and I like to log. I am more interested in getting in better shape and improving my training and performance technique than in competing though I do want it to end up bettering personal bests.   

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married with a five month old absolutely miraculously wonderful daughter.  

CURRENT TRAINING: I am working the 7-10 hr Winter Maintenance/Prep plan right now. 

2008 RACES: I completed my first sprint last summer in 1:40. 

2009 RACES: I am signed up for Long Island Gold Coast sprint on June 21st and my A-race is the Mighty Hamptons Olympic in September. 

WEIGHTLOSS: I want to get down below 190lbs from my current 210lbs.

PREFERRED MENTOR: Constructive advice on my training and race prep. 

2009-04-08 5:38 PM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
In case anyone is wondering... I was in Eric's group the last time around and thought it was a great experience and learned a lot from him. 

He's superfast, and a great motivator!

Best of luck to all.
2009-04-08 6:48 PM
in reply to: #2072147

User image

Master
Houston
Welcome to the group Emile!

Sounds like you already have your goals well definied, I'll definitely work with you on getting setup on a plan that works for you. I'm all about smarter training, not necessarily harder training... most of the athletes I coach have the tendincy to overdo it, I'll make sure that doesn't happen!

westerem - 2009-04-08 5:32 PM NAME: Emile

STORY: Ten years after college I was totally out of shape and LARGE (I'll spare the gory details). I worked out in a gym for a few years and got myself down to my current moderately overweight status. Three years ago I completed a 200 mile bike ride - my first endurance event. Last year I decided to try triathlon, found BT and got started. I trained with a team last summer and completed my first sprint last August. After the season I got frustrated with the team and so decided to train on my own this year. I am a process freak so I like to follow an efficient plan and I like to log. I am more interested in getting in better shape and improving my training and performance technique than in competing though I do want it to end up bettering personal bests.   

FAMILY STATUS:

CURRENT TRAINING: I am working the 7-10 hr Winter Maintenance/Prep plan right now. 

2009 RACES: I am signed up for Long Island Gold Coast sprint on June 21st and my A-race is the Mighty Hamptons Olympic in September. 

2009-04-08 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2072163

User image

Master
Houston
Thanks, not sure about the super fast part but I enjoyed the mentor group a ton last time.  I sure got lucky with some great mentees

Nicole83 - 2009-04-08 5:38 PM In case anyone is wondering... I was in Eric's group the last time around and thought it was a great experience and learned a lot from him. 

Best of luck to all.
2009-04-08 9:15 PM

New user

Subject: Interested in Evondo's group - OPEN

NAME: Steven

STORY: I made the big switch from a totally unhealthy lifestyle to one that I am proud of about three years ago.  I started hiking and then biking and before I know it I was running 5 and 10k’s.  I have competed in 17 runs including 2 ½ marathons and I placed third in my age group in this years Tidewater Striders Distance series (10k, 15k, 20k). I have completed three sprints and will race a lot this year. I am not that great of a swimmer, so it is my biggest challenge. With Eric’s swim back round hopefully he can give me some direction to improve. My wife and I are currently Worldwide Ambassadors for SBR Multisports in NYC (www.sbr.com) which is a sponsor of Beginner Triathlete!

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married to my beautiful wife Thirza. We have three children (18,15 and 9), and our dog Rocky. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I just finished my first sprint of the year (4/4) and half marathon (3/22), so I am trying to recover some and will start the sprint to Olympic training plan on Monday. Light runs, rides and swims until then. 

2008 RACES: I moved from Italy last year so I was only able to complete in 3 5k’s, an 8k and a 10k. 

2009 RACES: So far I have completed a 10k, 14k, 15k, 20, ½ marathon and a sprint distance triathlon. I have an aggressive season planned with 3 sprints, 2 olympics, another ½ marathon and a dualthlon. I will also fill in with additional 5 and 10k’s when I can.

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost about 20 pounds through training and competing. Hopefully by the summer I will lose an additional 8 pounds.

PREFERRED MENTOR: I need someone to keep me on track, offer swim guidance and the transition to Olympic distance. 

Thanks and I hope we can work together for a successful season!

2009-04-09 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2072664

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: Interested in Evondo's group - OPEN
Welcome to the group Steven! I'll do the best I can to help you with swimming.

How did the 1/2 marathon and sprint go? You've already got a huge jump on the season with having a base to do a 1/2 so the Olympic training should easily be doable.

What Olympic plan are you using? one from this site?

tri_sbr_vb - 2009-04-08 9:15 PM

NAME: Steven

STORY: I made the big switch from a totally unhealthy lifestyle to one that I am proud of about three years ago.  I started hiking and then biking and before I know it I was running 5 and 10k’s.  I have competed in 17 runs including 2 ½ marathons and I placed third in my age group in this years Tidewater Striders Distance series (10k, 15k, 20k). I have completed three sprints and will race a lot this year. I am not that great of a swimmer, so it is my biggest challenge. With Eric’s swim back round hopefully he can give me some direction to improve. My wife and I are currently Worldwide Ambassadors for SBR Multisports in NYC (www.sbr.com) which is a sponsor of Beginner Triathlete!

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married to my beautiful wife Thirza. We have three children (18,15 and 9), and our dog Rocky. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I just finished my first sprint of the year (4/4) and half marathon (3/22), so I am trying to recover some and will start the sprint to Olympic training plan on Monday. Light runs, rides and swims until then. 

2008 RACES: I moved from Italy last year so I was only able to complete in 3 5k’s, an 8k and a 10k. 

2009 RACES: So far I have completed a 10k, 14k, 15k, 20, ½ marathon and a sprint distance triathlon. I have an aggressive season planned with 3 sprints, 2 olympics, another ½ marathon and a dualthlon. I will also fill in with additional 5 and 10k’s when I can.

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost about 20 pounds through training and competing. Hopefully by the summer I will lose an additional 8 pounds.

PREFERRED MENTOR: I need someone to keep me on track, offer swim guidance and the transition to Olympic distance. 

Thanks and I hope we can work together for a successful season!
2009-04-09 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2072147

User image

Master
Houston
200mi bike ride, wow! I can't even imagine, most I've ever done is 80 so my hat is off to you. 

How long was the sprint last year?

westerem - 2009-04-08 5:32 PM NAME: Emile

FAMILY STATUS:

2009-04-09 7:49 AM

User image

Master
Houston
Please make sure to add everyone in the group to your friends list so we can all track each others workouts and offer up suggestions/encouragement...

Settings, Training Blog Customization, Friends

2009-04-09 8:04 AM
in reply to: #2072163

User image

Master
New York, NY
Nicole83 - 2009-04-08 6:38 PM In case anyone is wondering... I was in Eric's group the last time around and thought it was a great experience and learned a lot from him. 

Best of luck to all.

X2!!!  I was also in Eric's group last time around.  Don't let him kid you....he is super fast!
2009-04-09 9:38 AM

User image

Hello Eric and everyone,

I am interested in joining your group, I believe this group is a good mix of people and I am interested in training with you all.

NAME: BiafraGirl / Ony

STORY: Late last year I decided that for my 40th B'day (2011), I wanted to do something big and had initially decided to run in the ING NY marathon.  However, in looking at the ING training plans and learning more about IronMan races, I figured, if I want to go big, go IronMan.  I figured that this type of goal will help me achieve my goal of losing weight, getting fit, and establishing a persistent healthy active lifestyle.

FITNESS BACKGROUND:  Prior to starting serious training six weeks ago I was essentially a couch potato, however I am not foreign to fitness training.  I enjoy activity, but I let work, school, life, etc. . . . make fitness and weight maintenance a non-priority.  In H.S., I ran track and lifted weights.  In my late 20s when I first started gaining weight, I jogged regularly,ate right and lost 40lbs. Later to maintain, I took up swimming and Tae Kwon Do reaching Blue Belt status.  In 2007, after falling love with biking while touring Paris on a bike tour, I bought a hybrid and biked to my hearts delight at least once a week during the Summer of 2007.  Now, I am looking to establish a permanent and consistent fitness habit.

CURRENT TRAINING:

For the last 6 weeks, I have been executing a modified BT conditioning program.  My current training encompasses Swim 3x a week, Bike 2x a week, Run 2x a week, Weight Train 2x a week and Yoga stretches, 5-6x a week.  My training program evolves from week to week as my fitness base improves and my knowledge grows. 

DEMOGRAPHICS:

Family Status:  Single/Dating, and a wonderful Auntie to 3 nephews and 1 niece

Weight: Too embarrassed to put here, but need lose 50-60 lbs to get within healthy range for medium build.

2008: - None -

2009: 

• Registered -- MightyMan Sprint, Montauk, NY (October 3, 2009)
  • More to come, unofficially, to serve as fitness milestones

PREFERRED MENTOR / GROUP: Looking for mentor and group to provide helpful information with regards to:
  • Proper/ flexible training for busy lifestyle
  • Proper nutrition for busy lifestyle
  • Preventing injury
  • Gear and equipment maintenance (I have never even cleaned a bike chain)
  • Competing successfully, (Afraid of the pack swim and bike)
  • Positive mental attitude and support

WHAT I BRING:

• Strong determination to see this training through
  • Positive, non-judgemental attitude and support to fellow team members
  • Willingness to share experience and growing knowledge
  • Objective and tactful suggestions

I hope you have room for me and I am looking forward to working with you and the group!

BG

Edited by BiafraGirl 2009-04-09 9:46 AM

2009-04-09 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2073545

User image

Master
Houston
Would love to have you in the group Ony, welcome!

IM is definately a huge goal and you're doing the right thing by starting early... it can take years to prepare. Will your first triathlon be this year?

BiafraGirl - 2009-04-09 9:38 AM

Hello Eric and everyone,

I am interested in joining your group, I believe this group is a good mix of people and I am interested in training with you all.

NAME: BiafraGirl / Ony

STORY: Late last year I decided that for my 40th B'day (2011), I wanted to do something big and had initially decided to run in the ING NY marathon.  However, in looking at the ING training plans and learning more about IronMan races, I figured, if I want to go big, go IronMan.  I figured that this type of goal will help me achieve my goal of losing weight, getting fit, and establishing a persistent healthy active lifestyle.

FITNESS BACKGROUND:  Prior to starting serious training six weeks ago I was essentially a couch potato, however I am not foreign to fitness training.  I enjoy activity, but I let work, school, life, etc. . . . make fitness and weight maintenance a non-priority.  In H.S., I ran track and lifted weights.  In my late 20s when I first started gaining weight, I jogged regularly,ate right and lost 40lbs. Later to maintain, I took up swimming and Tae Kwon Do reaching Blue Belt status.  In 2007, after falling love with biking while touring Paris on a bike tour, I bought a hybrid and biked to my hearts delight at least once a week during the Summer of 2007.  Now, I am looking to establish a permanent and consistent fitness habit.

CURRENT TRAINING:

For the last 6 weeks, I have been executing a modified BT conditioning program.  My current training encompasses Swim 3x a week, Bike 2x a week, Run 2x a week, Weight Train 2x a week and Yoga stretches, 5-6x a week.  My training program evolves from week to week as my fitness base improves and my knowledge grows. 

DEMOGRAPHICS:

Family Status:  Single/Dating, and a wonderful Auntie to 3 nephews and 1 niece

Weight: Too embarrassed to put here, but need lose 50-60 lbs to get within healthy range for medium build.

2008: - None -

2009: 

• Registered -- MightyMan Sprint, Montauk, NY (October 3, 2009)
  • More to come, unofficially, to serve as fitness milestones

PREFERRED MENTOR / GROUP: Looking for mentor and group to provide helpful information with regards to:
  • Proper/ flexible training for busy lifestyle
  • Proper nutrition for busy lifestyle
  • Preventing injury
  • Gear and equipment maintenance (I have never even cleaned a bike chain)
  • Competing successfully, (Afraid of the pack swim and bike)
  • Positive mental attitude and support

WHAT I BRING:

• Strong determination to see this training through
  • Positive, non-judgemental attitude and support to fellow team members
  • Willingness to share experience and growing knowledge
  • Objective and tactful suggestions

I hope you have room for me and I am looking forward to working with you and the group!

BG
2009-04-09 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Hey Eric,

Don't know if you still have room in the group but if you do I would be interested.  Obviously you are a Gator Fan - how could I resist (honestly, I'm a big Va. Tech. fan but I live in Florida and I'm surrounded by Florida State and Miami fans so the Gators are my Florida team - hey if you're not a Gator, then your Gator bait, right?).  I'm relatively new to the sport, did my 1st Sprint in Feb., currently building endurance for the Olympic distance.  So, if you looking for somebody that is relatively new to the sport, got bitten by the TRI bug, and has a huge passion for the sport let me know.

Jeff

Edited by junthank 2009-04-09 12:15 PM
2009-04-09 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2073876

User image

Master
Houston
Always have room for another Gator fan! You'll make it 4/10 so far, plenty of room even if you weren't a fan

Congrats on your first triathlon! Would be happy to have you in the group, send out your full profile when you get a chance and continue to add everyone in the group to your training log friends.   

When are you looking to do the Olympic race?

junthank - 2009-04-09 11:34 AM Hey Eric,

Don't know if you still have room in the group but if you do I would be interested.  Obviously you are a Gator Fan - how could I resist (honestly, I'm a big Va. Tech. fan but I live in Florida and I'm surrounded by Florida State and Miami fans so the Gators are my Florida team - hey if you're not a Gator, then your Gator bait, right?).  I'm relatively new to the sport, did my 1st Sprint in Feb., currently building endurance for the Olympic distance.  So, if you looking for somebody that is relatively new to the sport, got bitten by the TRI bug, and has a huge passion for the sport let me know.

Jeff
2009-04-09 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2074173

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
NAME: junthank / Jeff

STORY: So how did I get here?  Honestly, my daughter got engaged in June of 2007 with a wedding date of July of 2008.  I decided that I didn't want to "roll" down the isle at the ceremony.  I joined a gym and lost some weight (treadmill, elliptical, etc..).  After the wedding I promptly gained back 15 lbs.  Last September I turned 50 and decided that I could not go back to my old lifestyle.  I went back to the gym, and for 1st time in 15 years got the bike out of the garage.  I got hooked on cycling.  Somehow in October of 2008 I managed via the web to visit BT, got inspired by the stories and decided to give TRI'ing a shot.  Done deal, I was hooked.

FAMILY STATUS:
Married for 27+ years to my high school sweetheart.  Have three children (2 boys, 1 girl).  Have 26 year old twins that are both out of the nest, finished college, and living in Northern Virginia (my home state).  I have one more that is a 10th grader (we are hoping that he becomes a Gator - but it's a tough school to get into now-a-days). 

CURRENT TRAINING: I was very fortunate in the previous cycle of mentoring groups on BT and I got in Gordo Byrn's group.  With his guidance I put together a plan that fits perfectly with my lifestyle.  I'm currently about 8 weeks into the plan.  The plan itself is focused on building endurance over the course of the next 10 months.  Hopefully you can view the plan in my BT Blog.

2008 RACES: ZERO.  I started my TRI training in late October of 2008.

2009 RACES: Completed my 1st Sprint/TRI in Feb 2009.  Scheduled to do another Sprint/TRI in July, followed by a Sprint/TRI in October, ending with an Olympic in late October.  Although I really enjoy doing the races, for me 2009 is all about building endurance,  practicing technique, and developing better body composition.  The races are icing on the cake!!! 

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm currently right at 200lbs, getting ready to go under the 200lbs mark for the 1st time in years.  When I joined BT In October of 2008 I was 230.  So, I've got some more work to do.  Ideally I'd like to be 180lbs.   

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: As I mentioned previously, I got bitten by the TRI bug and I'm pretty passionate about the sport.  I'm very religious about logging my workouts, participating in the forum, etc....  I'm fanatical about gaining more TRI knowledge.
2009-04-09 4:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NAME: microspawn / James

STORY: My name is James and I did my first triathlon in 2007 on my 35th birthday.

FAMILY STATUS: Engaged

CURRENT TRAINING: I just finished the New Orleans 70.3 and will spend most of the spring/summer having fun with sprint/Olympic races. My A-race for the season will be the Longhorn 70.3 in October.

2008 RACES: I did 4 triathlons in 2008 as well as many foot races (from 5k to 1/2 mary). I broke 20 minutes in the 5k - a long time goal.

2009 RACES: I just completed (last weekend) the New Orleans 1/2 ironman (race report and have the Louisville Full Ironman planned for August. In addition I plan on doing several more shorter distance triathlons thoughout the season. I have PR'd in the 5k with a 19:09.

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost a bunch of weight about 7 years ago and have kept it off through good diet and lots of exercise.

I am very goal oriented. I am seeking motivation, advice and encouragement from a group environment.

2009-04-09 4:38 PM

User image

Thank you so much, my first tri will be on October 3rd, 2009.  I am still contemplating a
try-a-tri or a Mini Tri for July or August.

evondo - 2009-04-09 11:02 AM Would love to have you in the group Ony, welcome!

IM is definately a huge goal and you're doing the right thing by starting early... it can take years to prepare. Will your first triathlon be this year?

BiafraGirl - 2009-04-09 9:38 AM

Hello Eric and everyone, . . . .

--

BG

Edited by BiafraGirl 2009-04-09 4:48 PM
2009-04-09 5:46 PM
in reply to: #2073151

New user

Subject: RE: Interested in Evondo's group - OPEN
I did pretty well, 1:55 minutes (PR) on the 1/2 marathon and 1:08 in the sprint. I was happy with both results and am using those as baselines for this years races. I will start the "sprint to olympic bridge" program next Monday. ANY help on my swimming would be great. I swam 300m in 7:07... enough said! Thanks and I look forward to being a part of what looks like a great group of triathletes.
2009-04-09 5:53 PM
in reply to: #2073545

New user

Welcome to the group BiafraGirl! I am a Worldwide Ambassador for SBR multisports located at 203 West 58th street (212-399-3999). If you need anything from them or information on the great group workouts or seminars that they provide please call the store, go to www.sbrshop.com, or let me know. Again welcome to the group.
2009-04-09 5:59 PM
in reply to: #2074689

New user

Welcome to the group Jeff. I am also a Virginia Tech fan and don't hold it against Eric for being a Gator. As long as he can help me swim better, he can root for anyone...well except for Florida State that is.
2009-04-09 7:02 PM
in reply to: #2074877

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
tri_sbr_vb - 2009-04-09 6:59 PM Welcome to the group Jeff. I am also a Virginia Tech fan and don't hold it against Eric for being a Gator. As long as he can help me swim better, he can root for anyone...well except for Florida State that is.

Thanks, and let's go Hokies!!!!  After spending the last 6 years in Florida I have found out that Florida State and Florida football fans don't particularily like each other.  I don't think we have to worry about Eric becoming a Seminole.  Kind of like a Hokie fan rooting for UVA (it's not going to happen).

Anyway, like you, I look forward to Eric's group.

Edited by junthank 2009-04-09 7:05 PM

2009-04-09 10:11 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-04-09 11:42 PM

Hermosa Beach

would like to join.....

NAME: Stephannie

STORY:   Started doing tri's to get in shape for scuba diving....heaviest weight was 212 (!!)...have since done multiple sprints, Wildflower Oly twice, Escape from Alcatraz (lottery)....My last race was Barb's Race, a women's only 70.3.  I overtrained and ended up getting sick on & off throughout the fall and didn't do any races in 2008.  Gained about 12 lbs back since then.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 1 dog, 3 cats
CURRENT TRAINING:  in limbo, trying to get back on track;  focusing mostly on running right now.
2008 RACES: none
2009 RACES: none....but planning on Vineman 70.3 in 2010.  I'd actually like to do the training smart, not dumb, this time, by building a solid, solid base, dropping some weight in the meantime.

WEIGHTLOSS: Currently at 185, would love to be around 150....

PREFERRED MENTOR:  Someone to offer feedback on training plans etc....

2009-04-10 7:36 AM

Extreme Veteran
Hey Stephannie -

I'm with you - I have always been pretty good at the TRAIN HARD part - I'm ready for the TRAIN SMART part. The training plans here at BT have helped a lot!

James
2009-04-10 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2075618

Master
Houston
Welcome to the group everyone! I hope everyone's at home and not at work, right?!?

Right now we have...
westerem - Emile
tri_sbr_vb - Steven
BiafraGirl - Ony
junthank - Jeff
microspawn - James
alsi071 - Alex
stephcat - Stephannie

I'd like to save the remaining 3 spots for the ladies and hopefully we close out the group this weekend!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10