of 10

2009-05-22 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2167622

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Evondo's group - CLOSED
BiafraGirl - 2009-05-22 9:02 AM For me, it was a mixture of things
  • Early seed planted: While in graduate school a couple of years ago, some fellow classmates were training for IronMan Kona.  I had heard of IronMan before but I thought it was really for the ultra type athlete who needed new challenges -- I am nowhere an athlete, let alone ultra. But I saw them as in fit regular people who were doing an ultra exercise and I began to think I could probably do it too.
  • Celebrities: Then I heard of all these celebrities knocking out the ING NY marathon and triathlons, like it was drinking a glass of water.  Sorry but I felt if P. Diddy and JLo can do this, I mean like really, why can't I?  And in the spirit of JT, aint nothing wrong with bringing sexy back.
  • Weight gain: I was on another the upcycle of weight gain / weight loss cycle, this time reaching a new high, and approaching 200.  I couldn't believe it.  For my height, as a female, the range of weight should be between 117 - 143 (According to Changing Shape website).  I believe my weight should be around btw 123 - 135, but no more than 140.  I was naturally skinny, almost lanky until I got to my mid-late 20s.  Now I am 40+ pounds over the large frame upper limit.  Yuck!
  • Sedentary life style:  I am in the midst of a long protracted job search and my butt became glued to the couch.  One day walking up 12 steps, I felt like I was going to pass out.  That was the last straw.
  • Getting Old(er): Will turn 40 in a few years, and wanted to make sure I had some new challenges. So started with looking into the ING NY marathon, but stumbled upon triathlons, and I loved the swimming component.  So Ironman 2011 was in the plan.
  • Family:  My family is naturally thin, as was I.  When I went to Nigeria to bury my grandfather at the top of the year.  My extended family basically told me that I was much too big, (although I am fortunate that I carry my weight well), and not in the most tactful ways.  I already had plans in place to start training for the triathlon after returning to the US,  but my goodness, they made sure there was no turning back. 
Okay that is the long scenic version.

evondo - 2009-05-21 2:23 PM Sorry for not being around the past week or so guys, things have been really busy for me.  I've noticed there hasn't been much discussion or logging of workouts recently so I wanted to try and get the group up and going again with some semi-daily questions.

Starting us off today...
What and/or who got you starting doing triathlons?

For me, a co-worker introduced me to the sport and I already knew how to swim so I figured I'd give it a shot.  I was ~40-50lbs overweight so my original goal was to lose weight and run 3 miles. 

From the looks of your training logs you have made super progress from the days when 12 flights of stairs almost caused you to pass out.  Like you, the first time I started training 7 months ago I went totally anaerobic during the 1st 1/4 mile of my run and had to stop.   

You and I don't run, swim, bike super fast but we are going a lot faster than those that are sitting on the couch.  You are an athlete.   

Jeff

Edited by junthank 2009-05-22 11:44 AM

2009-05-23 6:01 AM
in reply to: #2167826

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
evondo - 2009-05-22 10:05 AM Thanks for the stories Ony/Jeff, weightloss and getting fit is a pretty common reason people turn to triathlons.  For me that weightloss journey was only going to be 3-4months long and before I knew it 3 years have gone by!

Question for today is light hearted... Does anyone have fun plans for the holiday weekend whether it be training or other?

My brother came into town from Florida last night so I'll be spending some time with him until he leaves Sunday. We have a group OWS planned for Sunday AM and hopefully I'll still be able to make all my scheduled workouts.  The only one really in question is my long bike ride, just have to hope weather is good and the schedule works out.  Have a great weekend everyone!

My oldest son is in Florida from D.C. until Monday.  Unfortunately for him the weather is not going to be typical Sarasota, FL weather.  It's been overcast and raining for the last 5 days - I can't remember that happening since we moved here 5 years ago.

Well, it's off to do my Saturday morning workout.  Way, way too much celebrating last night.  This is going to feel a little uncomfortable. 
2009-05-24 1:38 PM
in reply to: #2168269

User image

junthank - 2009-05-22 12:40 PM
BiafraGirl - 2009-05-22 9:02 AM For me, it was a mixture of things
  • Early seed planted: While in graduate school a couple of years ago, some fellow classmates were training for IronMan Kona.  I had heard of IronMan before but I thought it was really for the ultra type athlete who needed new challenges -- I am nowhere an athlete, let alone ultra. But I saw them as in fit regular people who were doing an ultra exercise and I began to think I could probably do it too.
  • Celebrities: Then I heard of all these celebrities knocking out the ING NY marathon and triathlons, like it was drinking a glass of water.  Sorry but I felt if P. Diddy and JLo can do this, I mean like really, why can't I?  And in the spirit of JT, aint nothing wrong with bringing sexy back.
  • Weight gain: I was on another the upcycle of weight gain / weight loss cycle, this time reaching a new high, and approaching 200.  I couldn't believe it.  For my height, as a female, the range of weight should be between 117 - 143 (According to Changing Shape website).  I believe my weight should be around btw 123 - 135, but no more than 140.  I was naturally skinny, almost lanky until I got to my mid-late 20s.  Now I am 40+ pounds over the large frame upper limit.  Yuck!
  • Sedentary life style:  I am in the midst of a long protracted job search and my butt became glued to the couch.  One day walking up 12 steps, I felt like I was going to pass out.  That was the last straw.
  • Getting Old(er): Will turn 40 in a few years, and wanted to make sure I had some new challenges. So started with looking into the ING NY marathon, but stumbled upon triathlons, and I loved the swimming component.  So Ironman 2011 was in the plan.
  • Family:  My family is naturally thin, as was I.  When I went to Nigeria to bury my grandfather at the top of the year.  My extended family basically told me that I was much too big, (although I am fortunate that I carry my weight well), and not in the most tactful ways.  I already had plans in place to start training for the triathlon after returning to the US,  but my goodness, they made sure there was no turning back. 
Okay that is the long scenic version.

evondo - 2009-05-21 2:23 PM Sorry for not being around the past week or so guys, things have been really busy for me.  I've noticed there hasn't been much discussion or logging of workouts recently so I wanted to try and get the group up and going again with some semi-daily questions.

Starting us off today...
What and/or who got you starting doing triathlons?

For me, a co-worker introduced me to the sport and I already knew how to swim so I figured I'd give it a shot.  I was ~40-50lbs overweight so my original goal was to lose weight and run 3 miles. 

From the looks of your training logs you have made super progress from the days when 12 flights of stairs almost caused you to pass out.  Like you, the first time I started training 7 months ago I went totally anaerobic during the 1st 1/4 mile of my run and had to stop.   

You and I don't run, swim, bike super fast but we are going a lot faster than those that are sitting on the couch.  You are an athlete.   

Jeff

Laughing  Thanks!!
2009-05-24 2:16 PM
in reply to: #2069624

User image

Hey guys!

I just did my first open water swim today, or more like bobs, and I am so proud of myself, I thought I would share.

In preparation for my first triathlon in Oct this year, I decided to get in monthly open water swims before my October race.  So today, I went to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn, NYC to meet with this group of polar bears and open swimmers that meet ALL YEAR ROUND (brrrrrrr).  The group was slated to meet at 10am, but I went early to get some time in the water before trying to swim with the group. 

Upon my arrival I was greeted by some early birds, one newcomer like me and two veterans.  After brief introductions, sharing of scary stories about the water temperature while I undressed and slathered on vaseline, and a sip of hot tea offered by the other newcomer to prepare myself, I met one of the veterans by the water's edge.   The sand leading up to the water was COLD.  I actually backed up from the first set of waves, not yet ready go in, but still trying to coax myself into the ocean.  All I could think for those first early moments was, "What made me think I could do this without a wetsuit?"  Oh well, I was already here at the water's edge.  I eventually followed the veteran (two acclimation steps behind) as he allowed his ankles, then his knees, then his "you know what" as he called it, then his chest, followed by the holy grail, a head dive into water. 

Did I mention that the water was twice as cold as the sand was?  In my naivete, I compared 54F water temp to 54F air temp thinking that I jog in 54F just fine, w/o a jacket.  How silly of me.  I should have known better; I actually studied thermodynamics in undergraduate.  I guess it's been a long time.  The 54F water temp, might as well have been ice as far as I was concerned.  With the first dives underwater, all I could think was, "I can't imagine what entering freezing water must feel like."  Maybe like *&%% frozen over. 

After a while, I began to acclimate and the water was actually refreshing.  I did several dives and short swims.  Not knowing how much longer I could stay in the water, I programmed my timer for 10 min, and soon that time passed.  I was actually going to stay a little longer, but I told the veteran that my hands and feet were beginning to feel cold, and he said it was time for me to get out.  Cold hands and feet are the early signs of hypothermia. 

I stayed on the beach meeting some of the regular crew and slowly, but actively learning how to "deck" change. I ended today's session watching the regulars swim out into and back from deeper waters and much longer swims.  With a final look at the horizon and the vast open water before leaving, I decided that monthly wouldn't be enough and that weekly was a must.  I can't wait to go back again, and better yet, swim with the rest of the polar bears.  Who knows, I might not be needing that wetsuit come October.

My saving graces were:  Brand new goggles that allowed for better visibility, neoprene swim cap over a silicone swim cap, ear plugs, HR timer watch, tons of vaseline over my body and of course the support and coaching of like-minded and encouraging new friends. 

Next time:  I have to wear a bright colored cap over my black neoprene cap to ensure that the lifeguards can see me when I go out to deeper waters. Can't wait!

Edited by BiafraGirl 2009-05-24 2:39 PM
2009-05-24 10:57 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Eric.

Dealing with heat and humidity.  This will be my 1st summer of TRI training and I'm interested in getting your thoughts on training in heat and humidity.  Like me, I know your from Florida and and I believe Houston is a pretty hot and humid place.  The advise I got was to plan my recovery/transition period in the summer (i.e.. since I'm from Florida make the summer the end of my training year - made a lot of sense to me!!!).  So the last week of July and the first week of August will be my transition period (no structured training, just some active recovery exercise i.e.. walking, easy swims, etc...).  That still leaves some hot/humid days.  Thoughts on how you have handled this in the past?

Thanks. 
2009-05-25 8:53 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by alsi071 2009-05-25 8:55 AM

2009-05-25 11:33 AM

Guys,

I have a question regarding pacing / intervals during the triathlons.

I recently learned that typically marathons and/or the run portion of triathlons, are usually completed using a run/walk interval, i.e. 6 min run / 1 min walk.  This lead me to wonder:
  1. Do you use the run/walk interval for shorter distances like in a sprint, i.e. 5K?
  2. Is this also applied to the other segments of the triathlon,
    1. Swim?  Swim hard for X yards, easy for Y yards and repeat?
    2. Bike?   Spin for X miles 100 rpm, Easy for X miles 70 rpm, repeat?
The sprint I am registered for is as follows:
Swim portion:  Open water 750 meters
Bike portion:  17 kilometers with challenging climb
Run portion:  5k level elevation

Please let me know.

-- Ony
2009-05-25 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2171739

Expert
Sarasota, FL
BiafraGirl - 2009-05-25 12:33 PM Guys,

I recently learned that typically marathons and/or the run portion of triathlons, are usually completed using a run/walk interval, i.e. 6 min run / 1 min walk.  This lead me to wonder:
  1. Do you use the run/walk interval for shorter distances like in a sprint, i.e. 5K?

Please let me know.

-- Ony

Ony,

I'll defer to Eric and some of the more experience people in the group with regard to intervals and pacing during TRI's.

However, one of the best things I have incorporated into my training since beginning has been the Run/Walk Protocol.  Gordo Byrn (an elite triathlete) taught it to me, Gordo was taught it by Bobby McGee (world class running coach).  Gordo recommends using it for runs longer than 30-45 minutes.  However, I use it on all my runs (short/Sprint, longer/Olympic) because I plan on using it as I go longer.  So I may as well practice it now.  It is briefly detailed on Endurance Corner at the following URL: 

http://www.endurancecorner.com/library/running/run_walk_mcgee

The run/walk ratio you start at is determined by your endurance level.  On my shorter runs I'll use 11:0.5 - 11 minutes running to 30 seconds walking.  On my longer runs I'll use 10:1 - 10 minutes running to 1 minute walking.  But like I said the ratio is determined by what makes your most comfortable (I started at 5:1 and as my endurance got better I increased the ratio).  The key is to do the walking with a "purpose" (i.e... walk with a fast cadence).  It has a made a huge difference in both my run endurance and speed (believe it or not!!!).  BTW - I'm not a fast runner, but I'm a heck of a lot faster than when I started out.  Gordo mentioned that the protocol is actually used by sub 2:30 marathoners so it's not just something that is used by novices.
2009-05-25 4:30 PM
in reply to: #2167709

Expert
Sarasota, FL
BiafraGirl - 2009-05-22 9:31 AM Thanks for sharing, this is exactly what I needed at this stage of my training.   I will be going for my first open water swim this weekend and will keep this drills in mind. 

Hopefully I will be able to hang with the polar bears, water is supposed to be at 54 F and they don't wear wet suits, nor will I this time around.  I will definitely be shellacking myself with the vaseline and using those yoga psycho-physio drills.

junthank - 2009-05-21 8:07 PM Eric,

No problem - hope it helps.  BTW - you will not find me in any water below 72 F.  Living in Florida spoils you!!!
2009-05-26 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2171540

Master
Houston
I'm with you on the gym routine. I found myself having a very hard time staying consistent with any training when I didn't have a goal to shoot for.

alsi071 - 2009-05-25 8:53 AM

For me, a friend introduced me to the sport. I was already familiar with basic concepts of triathlons from watching Olympics but I was not aware how popular this sport is.  

I was competitively swimming through school and college, but in a last 15 years I could not find a good reason to get myself back to the pool. At the same time, I got sick with my gym routine and I slowly gained 30lb over the last 10 years.

In November '08 I made a decision to sign up for May 31 sprint tri and to start with training on January 1. 

2009-05-26 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2171739

Master
Houston
I really like the article Jeff sent out on this, answer is it depends on your current fitness. I don't think it's necessary in the swim/bike because you really shouldn't be going anywhere near anaerobic levels. However if you get out of breath while swimming or too tired I would definitely see how slowing down for a little bit can help. 

I do sometimes walk the aid stations during  the run which gives 10-15s break for my HR to come down a bit.  A lot depends on how I'm feeling that race and how hard I'm pushing. Do what's comfortable for you, try out some of the ratios during training and see what works.  Let us know what you find out!

BiafraGirl - 2009-05-25 11:33 AM Guys,

Please let me know.

-- Ony

2009-05-26 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2172793

Master
Houston
How was everyone's weekend?

I still have one more day off work, heading out for a bike ride now so I can relax the rest of the day!
2009-05-26 5:03 PM
in reply to: #2172795

Expert
Sarasota, FL
evondo - 2009-05-26 9:24 AM How was everyone's weekend?

I still have one more day off work, heading out for a bike ride now so I can relax the rest of the day!

Weekend was great but too short even with the extra day.  My oldest son was in town for the weekend so there was a little more celebrating going on in the evening if you know what I mean!!!!!  Still managed to get out early and do my workouts.  Hope you enjoyed yours with the extra, extra day off.

Jeff
2009-05-27 8:33 AM

Extreme Veteran
I had to re-evaluate my training this past week. I had been adding too much and my recovery was suffering. I took a couple days off to reset and now I am sticking to the plan.

Back to basics.
2009-05-27 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2175068

Master
Houston
Great to hear you noticed the overt training before it got too far down the road!

Sticking to the same topic, question of the day... What is your build/recovery plan for your training?

For me, I normally build my long workouts ~10-15%/week with every 4th week as recovery (25+% reduction).  The next 4 week block starts off between the 1st-2nd week mileage of the previous block.  My weekly workouts normally stay fixed except during recovery week they get reduced as well.  When I was first starting out I worked on ramping all of my bikes to 20mi and runs to 6mi for every workout.  Once I got to that point I actually started adding a long workout and from there hills/intervals got added in as well.

microspawn - 2009-05-27 8:33 AM I had to re-evaluate my training this past week. I had been adding too much and my recovery was suffering. I took a couple days off to reset and now I am sticking to the plan. Back to basics.
2009-05-27 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2171931

Thanks Jeff, 

As Eric stated this article was great. I even looked deeper into the website and bookmarked it as a core reference.  So thank you, thank you, thank you.

(I can't believe that I thought that people ran all of the marathons straight.  Embarassed )  Ahh to live, learn and conquer! 

Will let you know how things work out.  Not up to 5:1 yet, but I plan to be there in the next couple of weeks.  When I started jogging, I literally did just that, just went out and jogged for as much as possible.  Reviewing my programs, I stumbled again on Jeff Galloway's marathon training. Tri-newbie's 11 wk sprint training  and About.com's 3 week to 30 min program and I started pacing myself last week.

I like using run/walk ratios endurance ratios to train, it helps me better track my progress and pace.  Will keep you keyed in as my progress develops.

-- BiafraGirl / Ony

junthank - 2009-05-25 3:25 PM
Ony,

I'll defer to Eric and some of the more experience people in the group with regard to intervals and pacing during TRI's.

However, one of the best things I have incorporated into my training since beginning has been the Run/Walk Protocol.  Gordo Byrn (an elite triathlete) taught it to me, Gordo was taught it by Bobby McGee (world class running coach).  Gordo recommends using it for runs longer than 30-45 minutes.  However, I use it on all my runs (short/Sprint, longer/Olympic) because I plan on using it as I go longer.  So I may as well practice it now.  It is briefly detailed on Endurance Corner at the following URL: 

The run/walk ratio you start at is determined by your endurance level.  On my shorter runs I'll use 11:0.5 - 11 minutes running to 30 seconds walking.  On my longer runs I'll use 10:1 - 10 minutes running to 1 minute walking.  But like I said the ratio is determined by what makes your most comfortable (I started at 5:1 and as my endurance got better I increased the ratio).  The key is to do the walking with a "purpose" (i.e... walk with a fast cadence).  It has a made a huge difference in both my run endurance and speed (believe it or not!!!).  BTW - I'm not a fast runner, but I'm a heck of a lot faster than when I started out.  Gordo mentioned that the protocol is actually used by sub 2:30 marathoners so it's not just something that is used by novices.

2009-05-27 4:59 PM
in reply to: #2175470

Expert
Sarasota, FL
evondo - 2009-05-27 11:14 AM Great to hear you noticed the overt training before it got too far down the road!

Sticking to the same topic, question of the day... What is your build/recovery plan for your training?

For me, I normally build my long workouts ~10-15%/week with every 4th week as recovery (25+% reduction).  The next 4 week block starts off between the 1st-2nd week mileage of the previous block.  My weekly workouts normally stay fixed except during recovery week they get reduced as well.  When I was first starting out I worked on ramping all of my bikes to 20mi and runs to 6mi for every workout.  Once I got to that point I actually started adding a long workout and from there hills/intervals got added in as well.

microspawn - 2009-05-27 8:33 AM I had to re-evaluate my training this past week. I had been adding too much and my recovery was suffering. I took a couple days off to reset and now I am sticking to the plan. Back to basics.
[/QUOTE

Every 3rd week is a recovery week for me.  During my recovery week I do my normal SBR schedule but the volume is just turned down.  Every Sunday is also an active recovery day for me.  On Sunday I do something, short swim, walk, tennis with my son, but no runs or rides.

Training Schedule

Mondays – Run Build Day (Build to 90 minutes)

Tuesdays – Bike 70 minutes (No build on Tuesdays)

Wednesdays – Swim Build Day (Build to 70 minutes)

Thursday – Bike 40 minutes, Run 30 minutes (No build)

Friday – Swim 20 minutes, Run 30 minutes (No build)

Saturday – Alternate every week with either a Long Ride Day, or SBR Endurance Day

Long Ride Day (Build to 3 hours)

SBR Endurance Day (Build to 60 minutes Swim, 3 Hours Bike, Cap at 35 minutes Run)

Sunday – Active Recovery Day (Walk mostly)

2009-05-27 5:02 PM
in reply to: #2176219

Expert
Sarasota, FL
BiafraGirl - 2009-05-27 2:49 PM Thanks Jeff, 

As Eric stated this article was great. I even looked deeper into the website and bookmarked it as a core reference.  So thank you, thank you, thank you.

(I can't believe that I thought that people ran all of the marathons straight.  Embarassed )  Ahh to live, learn and conquer! 

Will let you know how things work out.  Not up to 5:1 yet, but I plan to be there in the next couple of weeks.  When I started jogging, I literally did just that, just went out and jogged for as much as possible.  Reviewing my programs, I stumbled again on Jeff Galloway's marathon training. Tri-newbie's 11 wk sprint training  and About.com's 3 week to 30 min program and I started pacing myself last week.

I like using run/walk ratios endurance ratios to train, it helps me better track my progress and pace.  Will keep you keyed in as my progress develops.

-- BiafraGirl / Ony

junthank - 2009-05-25 3:25 PM
Ony,

Your Welcome.
2009-05-28 10:42 AM

2009-05-28 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2178258

Master
Houston
First and most important, have fun!

Don't do any crazy hard workouts to try and test yourself these last couple of days.  It's better to stay rested, doesn't mean skip workouts just don't push them to the point of being sore.

Do you have any last minute questions?

alsi071 - 2009-05-28 10:42 AM I have 3 more days before my first triathlon. Any last minute suggestions?

Alex
2009-05-28 1:39 PM

Expert
Sarasota, FL
alsi071 - 2009-05-28 11:42 AM I have 3 more days before my first triathlon. Any last minute suggestions?

Alex

Alex - Eric nailed it - HAVE FUN.  I got the following advice from Gordo my first TRI that worked really well.  Good luck!!!

Jeff

++++++++

In terms of how to play it... make sure to enjoy the experience -- there will be plenty of other races (if you like the first) where you can "be serious".  That said, you may be looking for more tips than "have fun".  Here goes...When thinking about your effort across the race... I find that aiming for your HR to increase by 10 bpm each sport (swim/bike/run) results in excellent pacing.  So... have an honest chat with yourself in terms of where your average run HR is likely to be and cap yourself 10 bpm under that number for your bike.  Start the bike 15 bpm under your run number, settle, then move to 10 bpm under.

I will use myself as an example... if I pace well then I can probably run 170 bpm.  So, that implies riding around 160 bpm.  Early in the bike, I would settle to 155 bpm then build to (and hold) 160 bpm.  After the race, I would review my HR data and see how well I managed to hit averages of 150/160/170 bpm for each of swim/bike/run.  Over time, you will have more knowledge about your body, your training, your racing... and you can fine tune.  It is most difficult to learn how to swim relaxed -- that is a skill that takes a lot of practice when surrounded by people.  Know that most people struggle with effective pacing and expect that you will get a lot of social feedback that it is OK to hammer early and die on the run.  We've all done it!  However, if you build the experience to be strong at the end... it will serve you well over your tri-career. 

++++++++

2009-05-28 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2179004

Extreme Veteran
It is most difficult to learn how to swim relaxed -- that is a skill that takes a lot of practice when surrounded by people.

So true!
2009-05-29 9:44 AM

Master
Houston
Good luck this weekend, make sure to post a race report and let us know how it goes!

Question for the day... What do you generally do for a pre-race warmup?

My warmup is normally just a 3-400m swim to loosen the shoulders and a 1-2mi jog to get my HR upto ~150 so I'm not starting the race cold. 

alsi071 - 2009-05-28 10:42 AM I have 3 more days before my first triathlon. Any last minute suggestions?

Alex
2009-05-29 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2180767

Expert
Sarasota, FL
evondo - 2009-05-29 10:44 AM Good luck this weekend, make sure to post a race report and let us know how it goes!

Question for the day... What do you generally do for a pre-race warmup?

My warmup is normally just a 3-400m swim to loosen the shoulders and a 1-2mi jog to get my HR upto ~150 so I'm not starting the race cold. 

Alex

I've only done one sprint TRI so I was a "rookie" in the finest sense of the word.  In fact I was so nervous I didn't know what to do.  So I put my iPod on and did my normal pre-workout routine of walking for 10 minutes to get the blood flowing a little.  I'll follow your advice (small swim and jog) in the future.
2009-05-29 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2178669

Edited by alsi071 2009-05-29 3:35 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10