General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run training and links to training by HR Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-10 8:00 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Subject: Run training and links to training by HR
I'm getting a little dejected.  A friend of mine who is in a little better shape than me is a much faster runner than I am.  We did a brick of 17 bike 3 mile run yesterday and he blew me away on the run.  On both the bike and the run, I glanced down to check out my HR and they were through the roof!  I asked if he trained by HR and he said, "No. I would go too slow."  In the meantime, I was trying to keep up on the bike and could, but my HR was on the high side.  On the run it was way too high.  I normally avg a 9-9:30 min/ mile but we were around the 8 min/ mile and I was keeping up with him, I was okay for the first 1.5 but my HR was pushing the 180's.  I normally keep it 155-162; 168-170 max on hills.  I can't seem to find the good links on here about HR training.  I have read them before and I really believe this is the best way.  I guess I just need to continue to train and improve gradually.  Thanks!

2009-04-10 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2075658

Lafayette, LA.
Subject: RE: Run training and links to training by HR
Man, you and I are in the exact same position.  I started using the HR monitor going on about four months ago now.  I really like using it; I'm running more often and not feeling as beat up as I used to.  BUT, I'm also topping out at about a 9:00 - 9:30 pace.  I keep the HR in the 147-161 range.
You've probably read everything that I have so I don't have any links but just remember that just about all of the info says it takes a year maybe more for the speed to get there.  Stay consistent, get to the 5-6 day a week running, aim for the 30-40 miles per week and it will come.  Damnit it has to!!

Trav
2009-04-10 9:31 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I'll second the 'think long term' view.  I started running last summer (and yes, I realize that this does not yet count as 'long term' in the fullest sense), and after an initial over-exuberance (combined with total ignorace), I started running mostly zone 1 and zone 2.  I was SLOW, and on longer runs I would have to slow to almost a walk sometimes to keep the HR down.  But after a few months of this routine, I started to see improvement.  Now, a year later, my shorter Z1/Z2 runs are often well under 8:00/mile.

I do mix in some harder stuff as well, and feel this is important, but I have little doubt that running lots of Z2, and really making yourself stay Z2, has significant long-term benefits.  You will get faster.

As for links, I think a good place to start would be to read the articles here about HR training and LTHR field tests, then follow a HR-based training plan, which you can also find on this site.
2009-04-10 10:43 AM

User image

Master
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run training and links to training by HR Rss Feed